• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

And a what a group of people it is. ^_^ <3

I like everyone in here.

tumblr_lr89ul4xyv1qhmym7.gif

Deku Tree

Destiny is fun.

Main difference in my opinion is the population of random people in your instance of the world. Having a public event happen and it's a target and you are struggling to bring it down and all of a sudden the cavalry comes in from over the hill and you all take it down together. One of the best experiences one could have with destiny. In contrast borderlands feels very closed, even though there is coop the game in no way is built around introducing you to players or making you feel like you are part of a larger world.

I like the art style and gun play of Destiny alot more?

More loot in borderland and it actually has a story. Damn good co-op wouldn't recommend playing alone, but that goes for both games. Better enemie look design. World feels alive. Actual NPCs out in the world.

Destiny...ehhh better pvp I guess. Better enemie A.I.

Let's wait for Destiny 2 before comparing the two. Borderlands 1 was kinda meh compared to 2 imo.

sure

Borderlands survives and thrives on the following:
-A general irreverent and funny-ass tone with some great characters, even if you never interact with them all that much
-An enormous variety of weapons and modifications, procedurally generated so getting something slightly better than your current equip happens (in comparison to Destiny) pretty much constantly. Much more like diablo in the loot-equip-proceed feedback loop. So far as I understand there are millions of possible guns that can be generated and some are ridiculous. Guns can be traded.
-Solid multiplayer (but nothing in the sense of serious/organized PvP) for 4 players and generally fun, non-competitive atmosphere. A dash of fun vehicle traversal/combat sometimes too.
-MMORPG-style hub-and-fetch questing that puts you "out in the world" frequently even if the tasks themselves are rote
-Clean and attractive (if not that technically impressive) edge-shaded art design

Destiny:
-Rather vastly, unquestionably superior shooting, melee and locomotion mechanics
-More tactical multiplayer gameplay; consider how a communicative team can leverage Orbs of Light. There is an organized/matchmade and very active PvP side in the Crucible
-Much smaller set of obtainable inventory, with mod variety on legendaries and none on Exotics; makes the possibility of frequent upgrades a lot smaller, but also creates a "collect-em-all" atmosphere and makes certain individual guns (that you know are "the right one" if it drops for you) extremely desirable
-Instanced loot drops at all times (in Borderlands, if two players want an item that drops it's first-come-first-serve or flip a coin or whatever)
-Raids, a content type that has no counterpart in the BL games

This is a good point, but I feel like some of the other stuff I didn't mention that destiny gets right (public events/the psuedo-open-world matchmaking, general great art, sound, and music, the classes/subclass ability trees) didn't really set it apart as much as they are nice touches. I love the sensation of coming across a stranger and cooperating on the fly though, there's no doubt about it.

Thanks!!!

3x3x3x0 Reset Raid Regulars (4am EST Tuesday, CE/NF/Weekly)

1.) Me
2.) iRawr
3.) Casmith
4.) Steroyd
5.) The Belgian who shall not be named
6.) ??

I know Mattiator can't make it this week, so let me know if anyone else can't make it or who else wants to join. Priority goes to people who have done it before, but otherwise anyone can join. We should have at least 3 Lv32s (I think) so they can run the sword each time and make it even easier. I'll post again tomorrow evening if the group isn't settled by then.

When people say "Gorgon Chest cp" they mean before you get the chest and get down into the maze, correct?

Yes, this is correct. Can grab both chests there and then continue to GK+Atheon if you want those drops.

Posting for new page

I will most likely be awake and will do this as well. Depending on the bounties since I feel some of them are faster soloing.

1.) Me
2.) iRawr
3.) Casmith
4.) Steroyd
6.) ??

I know Mattiator can't make it this week, so let me know if anyone else can't make it or who else wants to join. Priority goes to people who have done it before, but otherwise anyone can join. We should have at least 3 Lv32s (I think) so they can run the sword each time and make it even easier. I'll post again tomorrow evening if the group isn't settled by then.
I will be lvl32 as soon as I get 5 radiant shards. So hopefully I can easily kill Crota within ~3 sword phases :p
minus a few screw ups..
edit:
When people say "Gorgon Chest cp" they mean before you get the chest and get down into the maze, correct?
Yep

I will be lvl32 as soon as I get 5 radiant shards. So hopefully I can easily kill Crota within ~3 sword phases :p
minus a few screw ups..

Yeah, I'm banking on actually getting the ~7 shards I need to hit Lv32, so Yzen can go first, then you second, then me 3rd unless someone else will already be Lv32.

Dismantling raid gear doesn't matter how much XP it has, right? You get either 2 or 3 shards regardless? Got a couple duplicates I need to break down.

spyder_ur

Thinking of putting together a fresh relaxed Crota raid group to start anytime after 10-15 minutes from now. Would anyone be interested? Haven't raided CE on any of my 3 level 31 characters this week. Someone with sword experience would be great, but just checking to see if there is interest.

blackflag

1.) Me
2.) iRawr
3.) Casmith
4.) Steroyd
6.) ??

Yes, this is correct. Can grab both chests there and then continue to GK+Atheon if you want those drops.

I'll be there for sure. Hoping to get the last piece I need on 2 characters and the first piece on my hunter... :)

Yeah, I'm banking on actually getting the ~7 shards I need to hit Lv32, so Yzen can go first, then you second, then me 3rd unless someone else will already be Lv32.

Dismantling raid gear doesn't matter how much XP it has, right? You get either 2 or 3 shards regardless? Got a couple duplicates I need to break down.

Knowing RNGesus, we wont get the shards required haha. I got 2 shards regardless of the XP. I tried leveling up my spare armor to break it down, hoping to get more shards. Nonetheless it was pointless.

Thinking of putting together a fresh relaxed Crota raid group to start anytime after 10-15 minutes from now. Would anyone be interested? Haven't raided CE on any of my 3 level 31 characters this week. Someone with sword experience would be great, but just checking to see if there is interest.

I was trying gather a group, but to no avail lol. Count me in if you mange to get a group. (Not an experienced sword carrier)

E92 M3

This whole Christmas breaks I've been obsessing about making sure I am ready to hit 32 before the New Years. Damn my arbitrary goals and my OCD to complete them :(

I will most likely be awake and will do this as well. Depending on the bounties since I feel some of them are faster soloing.

minus a few screw ups..
edit:Yep

I'll send you a message just before reset!

Namikaze1

You motherfucker! I show mercy once, once! I let you live and this is how you repay me? You come back with 4 of your wizard friends all while I go and grab chips for my movie?! I'm gonna go to the moon and kill your Acolyte wife, your thrall children, your Hive Knight brother, and your Hive Wizard sister in Hellmouth! Later on, I'm gonna stop by and see your sweet mother, Omnigul, and give her a piece of my mind. Once I'm done with her, it's straight to Papa Crota!

Mindlog

Main difference in my opinion is the population of random people in your instance of the world. Having a public event happen and it's a target and you are struggling to bring it down and all of a sudden the cavalry comes in from over the hill and you all take it down together. One of the best experiences one could have with destiny.
Reminds me of how much fun public events could be in Defiance.
Imagine dozens of sparrows appearing from over a hill to destroy an enemy. Destiny gunplay in the Defiance world would be an incredible game.

Reminds me of how much fun public events could be in Defiance.
Imagine dozens of sparrows appearing from over a hill to destroy an enemy. Destiny gunplay in the Defiance world would be an incredible game.

probably would have kept me playing

damn those PE's were fun

LiK

Best Public Event was outside the loot cave. Everyone was there and it was fun. Bungie can't replicate an exploit by the community.

1.) Me
2.) iRawr
3.) Casmith
4.) Steroyd
6.) ??

4am est? Mind if I join you guys if one of your normal guys can't make it.

SkylineRKR

This whole Christmas breaks I've been obsessing about making sure I am ready to hit 32 before the New Years. Damn my arbitrary goals and my OCD to complete them :(

I think I'll make it to 32 before the end of the year. I need some 15 shards. Its not impossible to get after 2 Raids.

Top Bottom