• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

jadedm17

My group on Atheon suffered all sorts of glitches while trying to beat him 30 minutes ago : Not being damaged, going through teleport to end up in the same area, putting a shield around one in the zone and two outside, just to name a few. Why is this raid still so glitchy?

I have the Thorn and I'm not a fan of it. Really hoping for the Hawkmoon, it just seems like a great overall primary.
It hits hard, has solid range and damage that lingers; I've also found it easier to aim and get head shots with. Hawkmoon I'll play with more once I upgrade it but the short time I had with it didn't do much for me.

Difficulty is subjective but I disagree so strongly about the annoying part. Templar is the great, lost encounter of Destiny. I love it so much but feel like all the cheese really spoiled it. It seems like I'm the only one who wants to do it legit in any group that does hard VoG. Did anybody play blind VoG within the first few days of release? I feel like an old fogey already.

It requires great team communication and allows for many different "solutions:" bunching all together and cleansing vs. spreading out and trying to kill all oracles, blocking his teleports and dealing with the minotaurs vs. slow rolling it with each shield break, etc. The time-to-clear is adjustable to the skill ceiling of the group (which is the fatal flaw of the otherwise excellent oracles phase). It's everything I look for in Destiny's raid encounter design (along with both GKeepers and Atheon). The only plus side now is that groups are happy to let me run the relic while everyone else stays up top, which is still a blast for me (more fun and improvisational than Crota sword).

i appreciate the challenge. i just don't like that it glitches on top of that and nobody is interested in doing it "legit" after wiping due to annoying glitches over and over.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I love you.
Totally looking for a squad to roll with. Add me : coolasj19
Amazing drops from Atheon.
All scrapped.
You're still Hard Mode Raiding, why? I admit, I will do things in Destiny just to help friends get loot. But what are you trying to get.
Difficulty is subjective but I disagree so strongly about the annoying part. Templar is the great, lost encounter of Destiny. I love it so much but feel like all the cheese really spoiled it. It seems like I'm the only one who wants to do it legit in any group that does hard VoG. Did anybody play blind VoG within the first few days of release? I feel like an old fogey already.
It requires great team communication and allows for many different "solutions:" bunching all together and cleansing vs. spreading out and trying to kill all oracles, blocking his teleports and dealing with the minotaurs vs. slow rolling it with each shield break, etc. The time-to-clear is adjustable to the skill ceiling of the group (which is the fatal flaw of the otherwise excellent oracles phase). It's everything I look for in Destiny's raid encounter design (along with both GKeepers and Atheon). The only plus side now is that groups are happy to let me run the relic while everyone else stays up top, which is still a blast for me (more fun and improvisational than Crota sword).
The Templar is probably the best boss in the game. Atheon is after that. The entire VoG is really just fantastic. Encounters with multiple solutions are the best.

jett

D-Member
I stopped playing this a couple of weeks ago. Have any changes been made since to the shithouse progression that the DLC introduced?

Ghidorah

Neo Member
Hey gaf im new to this OT but im planning on buying the expansion soon and i was wondering if anybody wanted to add me psn itsGHIDORAH. lvl 26 lock and looking for friends or a fireteam. Thanks!

Ghazi

They need to introduce a loot phase at Deathsingers (even if it's just shards) so people will play it. No one ever wants to do DS on LFG, which sucks.

LFG is pretty bad now anyway because most people just want to cheese each phase of the raid. It's difficult getting legit groups together, which is not how this should be.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Totally looking for a squad to roll with. Add me : coolasj19

Xbone or PS4?

Stupid question, I know.

Also, sadface. Just ran into two randoms, both using mics. Midway through a game, mopped up the competition with super after heavy after super.
Now we can't join eachother because of vultures and caterpillars.

i like that it's challenging. i just don't like that it glitches on top of that and nobody is interested in doing it "legit" after wiping due to annoying glitches over and over.

I'm just talking about the encounter design itself, glitches are a separate issue. Personally I've never run into so many Templar glitches that it would make me want to cheese, but I've certainly seen some (including multiple times wiping flawless runs, even before the patch that apparently glitched out Templar even worse for flawless). But if the glitches really are bad then I definitely wouldn't mind switching it up just to get through it. Groups where I've run it since the patch just want to cheese it because people keep dying to detain shields, etc.

Glitches are always going to be the part of the game and always going to be annoying. We had to wipe a Crota kill last week because the sword disappeared instead of being picked up when we just needed one more shield break to finish him. To each his own of course, not trying to start any trouble, I just feel like I'm alone in my love for that encounter, haha.

The Templar is probably the best boss in the game. Atheon is after that. The entire VoG is really just fantastic. Encounters with multiple solutions are the best.

Bolded = Yes! I stand corrected, glad there is at least one more Team Templar out there. :)

Iceman829

Two vog hard modes done, and I got two mythoclasts and two fatebringers.... no timepiece though :(

Yeah I got messages pretty fast. We are doing vog again tomorrow or tuesday though, so i'll get you in then.

no worries man. i don't really need need anything from it, but i don't mind shooting stuff if you need someone

I'm just talking about the encounter design itself, glitches are a separate issue. Personally I've never run into so many Templar glitches that it would make me want to cheese, but I've certainly seen some (including multiple times wiping flawless runs, even before the patch that apparently glitched out Templar even worse for flawless). But if the glitches really are bad then I definitely wouldn't make switching it up just to get through it. Groups where I've run it since the patch just want to cheese it because people keep dying to detain shields, etc.

Glitches are always going to be the part of the game and always going to be annoying. We had to wipe a Crota kill last week because the sword disappeared instead of being picked up when we just needed one more shield break to finish him. To each his own of course, not trying to start any trouble, I just feel like I'm alone in my love for that encounter, haha.

Bolded = Yes! I stand corrected, glad there is at least one more Team Templar out there. :)

i like the oracle phase because it requires positioning and quick thinking to manage the adds, snipers and oracles. the templar is somewhat similar, but the glitches there ruin it really fast.

joecanada

Anyone planning to run Crota from start on PS4 in the next little bit?

Me and a friend (31 warlock and Titan) looking for a group, I think we've only made it to the bridge so far in past attempt, so still quite new at it.

PSN is lupin23rd

Ill go fire it up 15 min... We don't need a full group till later I know most of it

Korosenai

They need to introduce a loot phase at Deathsingers (even if it's just shards) so people will play it. No one ever wants to do DS on LFG, which sucks.

LFG is pretty bad now anyway because most people just want to cheese each phase of the raid. It's difficult getting legit groups together, which is not how this should be.
Deathsinger is honestly really easy. Just did it first try with a group and no one died. You just need a solid game plan and strat.

Also, I picked up someone from lfg who wanted to cheese Crota. Convinced him to stay for one try, and we ended up beating Crota on that first try. Hate when people want to cheese.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If anyone is looking to do VoG hard, I could use another run or two before the reset. Work has kicked my ass this week and denied me playing time.

gdt

I stopped playing this a couple of weeks ago. Have any changes been made since to the shithouse progression that the DLC introduced?

Not really no.

On the plus side exotics level a lot faster now so it doesn't sting as much as it would've before (upgraded my Gjallarhorn yesterday and maxed it tonight).

On the negative we are gonna have to do the same thing when House of Wolves launches :/

In terms of leveling, a team of 30 could totally do the new raid, as long as 1 is a 31. I would just stay 30 and get raid gear. And if you weren't 30 before you can just jump to 31.

Hey gaf im new to this OT but im planning on buying the expansion soon and i was wondering if anybody wanted to add me psn itsGHIDORAH. lvl 26 lock and looking for friends or a fireteam. Thanks!

Try to hit at least Lv27 and then get into a Vault of Glass group. The enemies (and boss) at the end are Lv28 so you will probably have the most fun if you can even get to Lv28 first. You won't be dying as much or feel like other people just have to carry you, you can contribute as well as anyone else.

Lots of experienced raiders here are happy to sherpa n00bs with good 'tudes (myself included). I always have fun with new raiders and happy to take as long as necessary to explain all encounter mechanics, cheese-free. PSN is DrDrizzay101, feel free to add me although I won't be back from vacation until tomorrow night.

i like the oracle phase because it requires positioning and quick thinking to manage the adds, snipers and oracles. the templar is somewhat similar, but the glitches there ruin it really fast.

For sure, like I said oracles phase is excellent except that the time it takes is set in stone. It needs to be adjustable to accommodate more skilled groups, like every other phase in either raid, besides confluxes (putting these back to back is the cardinal sin of VoG). Oracles is maybe the best example of managing all 3 weapon slots for the different types of adds/oracles. For example, FBringer is great for trash, IceB for hobbies, CMeasure for minotaurs and oracles. Adjusting your positioning and managing your weaponry as your team calls out adds/oracles is a blast.

joecanada

Not really no.

On the plus side exotics level a lot faster now so it doesn't sting as much as it would've before (upgraded my Gjallarhorn yesterday and maxed it tonight).

On the negative we are gonna have to do the same thing when House of Wolves launches :/

In terms of leveling, a team of 30 could totally do the new raid, as long as 1 is a 31. I would just stay 30 and get raid gear. And if you weren't 30 before you can just jump to 31.

What? I've heard this before but how? I upgraded gjallarhorn two days ago, run every bounty including crucible and it's not even a third done. Doesn't feel even remotely faster to me

What? I've heard this before but how? I upgraded gjallarhorn two days ago, run every bounty including crucible and it's not even a third done. Doesn't feel even remotely faster to me

Hawkian posted a reddit thread where someone supposedly broke it down and it takes ~17% less XP to max exotic weapons now. Although I'm with you on this one, I've only maxed one exotic since the expansion and it didn't feel noticeably faster, maybe just a smidge.

Monte Carlo is fun in PVE

If I ever get around to leveling my 331 version up, I want to try it out with the DLC Warlock exotic gauntlets that give you two melee attacks. You can just keep getting scorch/energy drain overshields, I feel like it would be really good for flawless CE runs during the first phase for example. Any place with lots of trash to keep your melee attack constantly available.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I was editing it lol
Much better. Don't get banned.
Xbone or PS4?
Stupid question, I know.
Also, sadface. Just ran into two randoms, both using mics. Midway through a game, mopped up the competition with super after heavy after super.
Now we can't join eachother because of vultures and caterpillars.
PS4. Last time I tagged around two randoms it was that after a random CE Raid, I carried them through the Nightfall ( I basically solo'd the damn thing they were so ineffective ), I then invited them both to my clans Raid to fill in. Holy crap. We would have done better trying to 4 man the damn thing.
http://youtu.be/grJbWcafBeE
I'm just talking about the encounter design itself, glitches are a separate issue. Personally I've never run into so many Templar glitches that it would make me want to cheese, but I've certainly seen some (including multiple times wiping flawless runs, even before the patch that apparently glitched out Templar even worse for flawless). But if the glitches really are bad then I definitely wouldn't mind switching it up just to get through it. Groups where I've run it since the patch just want to cheese it because people keep dying to detain shields, etc.
Crota's End is missing something novel like the Maze and Jumping puzzles. We've started 5 manning the Raid regularly and it's pretty fun needing new strategies for a few things. The initial Gate is really fun with everyone taking up one position each at the Spire summoning pit and 2 people inbetween the Left middle and right circles. Aetheon and Oracles require a dedicated man for middle and a dedicated hobgoblin hunter (me).

Here it is from the sword bearer's view.Crota 2 sword kill: http://youtu.be/1cnum5L-CNg

Sweet mother of mercy you don't even need big combos to finish him as a 32.

2 sword kills are possible as a Lv31 but each one needs to be practically perfect. Pick up one orb before approaching him, do 3-4 R2 slams each time, then the second combo will have your super available by the end. As soon as the 4th R2 hits immediately use the super which will animation cancel for one last quick attack. Dead in 4 combos.

gdt

Hey man, I'm just saying my own experience. Did yesterday's and today's bounties. Moving my Ghorn through all 3 characters. Add a few Eris bounties (only really do those on my Hunter) and a few bounties I already had before yesterday (not many cause I was using them all on my new Ice Breaker).

Didn't even use a telemetry actually. Have Nightfall buff on of course.

Karl2177

I think part of the problem is that the end game is almost entirely built around 1 type of item and that is armor, and the only way of acquiring it is through the raid. So it ultimately comes down to "How can I make this progression as quick as possible?" and that comes down to what is the easiest way to complete the raid. If you can avoid as many encounters as possible, you're reducing the chances of failure, which is in turn increasing the chances of success. Hell, I solo'd the first 2 parts of the raid today by myself, grabbing both chests as well. Figured I would do it again next week to make my progression a bit quicker.

Ozone

Thanks Hawkian for hosting the Crota run tonight! That final fight ain't nothing to mess with. I'm sure we'll finish it tomorrow night!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks Hawkian for hosting the Crota run tonight! That final fight ain't nothing to mess with. I'm sure we'll finish it tomorrow night!
Sorry we couldn't get it done! We were definitely getting the timing down those last few attempts.

Trakan

Not really no.

My horn took about 30 bounties and 3 telemetries across 3 characters to hit max. Seems the same to me.

Don't be so sure about re-leveling it for House of Wolves. After the reaction this upgrade program got, I can't imagine they don't change it.

I think part of the problem is that the end game is almost entirely built around 1 type of item and that is armor, and the only way of acquiring it is through the raid. So it ultimately comes down to "How can I make this progression as quick as possible?" and that comes down to what is the easiest way to complete the raid. If you can avoid as many encounters as possible, you're reducing the chances of failure, which is in turn increasing the chances of success. Hell, I solo'd the first 2 parts of the raid today by myself, grabbing both chests as well. Figured I would do it again next week to make my progression a bit quicker.

That really doesn't have to do with armor or how you acquire armor. The Raid itself IS the endgame and the people who cheese it to get the armor are just trivializing the difficulty... so that they can be higher level to again trivialize the difficulty. The fact is, players aren't cheesing to reach the end game because they're already there. They're cheesing to get the reward as easily as possible.

The thing about that, that I don't really understand is.. the only draw to beating the endgame is in accomplishing that feat. The reward is the proof that you've done so. That gear and those weapons aren't necessary for anything else until the next expansion/sequel.. so once you're geared.. that's it. However those rewards lose their value in my eyes if they aren't earned through beating encounters using the intended mechanics. Apparently a lot of people feel differently though.

Crota's End is missing something novel like the Maze and Jumping puzzles. We've started 5 manning the Raid regularly and it's pretty fun needing new strategies for a few things. The initial Gate is really fun with everyone taking up one position each at the Spire summoning pit and 2 people inbetween the Left middle and right circles. Aetheon and Oracles require a dedicated man for middle and a dedicated hobgoblin hunter (me).

Yeah, very true. Coming up with novel solutions, because of self-imposed limitations or w/e, is tons of fun. Guys that 2-manned hard VoG were really clever with this, mad props. Also, "dedicated hobgoblin hunter" just sounds cool. :)

CE is basically missing the 2nd half of the raid. First two encounters are so damn good and then it face plants into moldy garbage (I know I complain about this a lot, sorry everyone). Probably naive but I'm holding out hope that hard mode will have an encounter added to the end with "another form" of Crota. Never played it, but I know WoW had a couple raids with bonus encounters at the end, only available on heroic difficulty. Hopefully they are doing something with all this time besides cheese-prevention.

The Raid itself IS the endgame and the people who cheese it to get the armor are just trivializing the difficulty... so that they can be higher level to again trivialize the difficulty.

Ha, yeah I don't understand this either. Maybe just to tell their friends or show off their gear or they don't care about raiding and just want it for Crucible/IB...? Makes no sense to me but more power to them. Thankfully Gaf lets us avoid that LFG silliness.

Fatebringer is a beast, I've never liked HCs because I'm more of a high fire rate spray n pray type (suck at aiming with sticks), but I'm just in love with this gun. My fully upgraded AE, Suros and Vex are warming the bench in the vault now. Going for critical hit every time has turned into its own meta game with FB.

kidko

Hey Vault hard team, sorry I had to bail. Baby woke up so I went to help out. I think we were glitched bad. Maybe we could have restarted it from a checkpoint and it would have been better...

On that note, I'm once again available if anyone is doing raid stuff! PSN kidklovius

Roc strikes or crucible would be cool too!

zewone

I'd be down for some Roc strikes tomorrow night, if you need a 3rd. Need to get at least a few marks before reset. Maybe I'll eventually use one of these commendations I've been stock piling. Does finishing strikes give weapon XP or just armor XP btw?
Armor only.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'd be down for some Roc strikes tomorrow night, if you need a 3rd. Need to get at least a few marks before reset. Maybe I'll eventually use one of these commendations I've been stock piling. Does finishing strikes give weapon XP or just armor XP btw?
Sure thing man. I'll be home around 4:30 EST.
I think it gives both...I think.

Top Bottom