• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

crota's end should have had a traditional timed corn maze after the bridge where you make a wrong turn and end up at a dead end or in a trap room, forcing you to kill a bunch of adds to set yourself free.

LiK

I'd be down for some Roc strikes tomorrow night, if you need a 3rd. Need to get at least a few marks before reset. Maybe I'll eventually use one of these commendations I've been stock piling. Does finishing strikes give weapon XP or just armor XP btw?

Yea, sure. I'll be on around 5PM EST as usual. Kinda addicted to maxing the Sunsinger subclass for the Warlock now. Hoping to get her to lvl 30 so I can do Crota with her for more shards lol. Already got her to 28 with new boots.

10631192_965996963430237_7417005557689250129_o.jpg

No hurry to reach lvl 32 now as long as I can do most weekly stuff comfortably, except maybe hard Crota.

Rixa

Yesterday VoG HM run and Spiritbloom chest after Templar:
Got critchest.

We decided to stop run to this point since one of our team member had to leave. He deparded just after looting the chest (before it was vanished). After this the chest closed and we (5 of us) could loot it again (got 2 Spirit Bloom more).

Yea, sure. I'll be on around 5PM EST as usual. Kinda addicted to maxing the Sunsinger subclass for the Warlock now. Hoping to get her to lvl 30 so I can do Crota with her for more shards lol. Already got her to 28 with new boots.

Nice. We could do a quick CE run tomorrow night before reset if you need. Also, you still need FBringer? I'd be up for as many hard VoG runs as people would want to do. Even if it was just Atheon, w/e.

Yesterday VoG HM run and Spiritbloom chest after Templar:

Got critchest.

We decided to stop run to this point since one of our team member had to leave. He deparded just after looting the chest (before it was vanished). After this the chest closed and we (5 of us) could loot it again (got 2 Spirit Bloom more).

I got that beat.

B3O39F2IIAEOqoi.jpg

ocean

Banned
The vendor Saterienne Rapier (Crucible Quartermaster) is a Scout Rifle with Firefly (explode targets on crit kill) and Outlaw (fast reload on crit kill). It's basically a Scout Rifle to replace Fatebringer with. These perks are great individually but amazing together - it's why Fatebringer is such a popular favorite. This perk combo is particularly effective on trash mobs which Crota's End has no shortage of.

I've seen far more people recommend the Vanguard scout rifle instead. Any reason?

crota's end should have had a traditional timed corn maze after the bridge where you make a wrong turn and end up at a dead end or in a trap room, forcing you to kill a bunch of adds to set yourself free.

Yeah that would be cool, especially if it randomized the adds that showed up. Little variety, spice it up each time you got trapped. Randomizing the maze layout would probably be unlikely but would prevent the trivialization that happens with gorgons once everyone knows the route.

The vendor Saterienne Rapier (Crucible Quartermaster) is a Scout Rifle with Firefly (explode targets on crit kill) and Outlaw (fast reload on crit kill). It's basically a Scout Rifle to replace Fatebringer with. These perks are great individually but amazing together - it's why Fatebringer is such a popular favorite. This perk combo is particularly effective on trash mobs which Crota's End has no shortage of.

I've seen far more people recommend the Vanguard scout rifle instead. Any reason?

Maybe just fewer people have SR? I was asking earlier if anyone who had both could compare. My 331 NITC is great but an SR is the first thing I'd buy if I had 150 crucible marks. Looks awesome.

Yeah that would be cool, especially if it randomized the adds that showed up. Little variety, spice it up each time you got trapped. Randomizing the maze layout would probably be unlikely but would prevent the trivialization that happens with gorgons once everyone knows the route.

the funny thing about the gorgon's labyrinth is not really a labyrinth or a maze, but rather just a large cave. and you're supposed to encounter a minotaur in a labyrinth.

I hate morons idling in crucible matches.

Of course the player is mostly to blame, but I fault Bungie also. Their, "everyone's a winner mentality" is terrible for pvp. Winning gives you three marks, while losing still gives you two. That is hardly that much of a difference, same goes for rep. I can easily see why people just idle not giving a shit because they are still rewarded almost the same. Most people already don't like pvp in this game, so they don't care about the outcome of the match, just as long as they get the rewards.

the funny thing about the gorgon's labyrinth is not really a labyrinth or a maze, but rather just a large cave. and you're supposed to encounter a minotaur in a labyrinth.

Haha true, it's definitely a misnomer like calling it the jumping "puzzle." It was only ever a maze or puzzle the first time through VoG when the gorgons took like 2 f'ing hours. Maybe the names have just stuck since then. A proper labyrinth + Minotaur would have been really fun.

LiK

Nice. We could do a quick CE run tomorrow night before reset if you need. Also, you still need FBringer? I'd be up for as many hard VoG runs as people would want to do. Even if it was just Atheon, w/e.

Sure, I need shards so maybe we can do some HM VoG with my Warlock. Hope I can get her to 29 before we do it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Yeah, very true. Coming up with novel solutions, because of self-imposed limitations or w/e, is tons of fun. Guys that 2-manned hard VoG were really clever with this, mad props. Also, "dedicated hobgoblin hunter" just sounds cool. :)
CE is basically missing the 2nd half of the raid. First two encounters are so damn good and then it face plants into moldy garbage (I know I complain about this a lot, sorry everyone). Probably naive but I'm holding out hope that hard mode will have an encounter added to the end with "another form" of Crota. Never played it, but I know WoW had a couple raids with bonus encounters at the end, only available on heroic difficulty. Hopefully they are doing something with all this time besides cheese-prevention.
Ha, yeah I don't understand this either. Maybe just to tell their friends or show off their gear or they don't care about raiding and just want it for Crucible/IB...? Makes no sense to me but more power to them. Thankfully Gaf lets us avoid that LFG silliness.
It's just all so very rigid. There's no pacing to break up the gun fighting. The Maze and Puzzles is where teams get a cool down on shooting. Where the "Ahahaha you failed, again!" teasing happens. *sigh*
Then again, cheese prevention might get everyone on the same level and taking strategies again. The cheesing to get loot is a byproduct of the loot system itself. People want the stuff because its the best stuff. They want stuff to level up their stuff. Then and only then will the bar in the sky be completely filled and they can stop. And do it on another character.
How about a falling floor Lost Woods maze? Rasputin or whatever the hell plays music from a certain direction and everyone has to locate and sprint across. Falling could be an insta-kill, or it could make you start all over and fight throw a funky spiral staircase building to get back. There's a lot that Crota's End should have had. Hopefully, House of Wolves is better right off the bat. I want to go inside the tower in the Cosmodome.

Need 1 more Crota kill and all weeklies are 100% done and I can finally concentrate on bounties/farming class gear parts ftl. I would LOVE it if you can exchange them.
100 Hardronic Essence for 100 Sapphire Wire. Or let them all be the same currency. I have 300 HE and < 20 of SW & plasteel Plating or whatever.

Haha true, it's definitely a misnomer like calling it the jumping "puzzle." It was only ever a maze or puzzle the first time through VoG when the gorgons took like 2 f'ing hours. Maybe the names have just stuck since then. A proper labyrinth + Minotaur would have been really fun.

Well the Gorgon's function the way a Minotaur would with instant death and a Labyrinth doesn't actually need to be traditional maze. I'd say that given the cave being pretty disorienting and the path through is pretty well hidden, it qualifies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Okay, can someone tell me how double bounties work wrt Eris?

Do I have to grab the bounties at reset, log out, log in and grab them again?

FyreWulff

In the legend, the maze is designed to lead you (and the minotaur) to the center

Atheon is a minotaur, who resides in the center of Venus and time

Ji66a-Man

1) Make sure you're online with the character you want to dupe bounties with before daily reset.
2) After the daily reset, pick up the bounties from Eris and the Bounty Quartermaster.
3) Finish the bounties.
4) Turn bounties in.
5) Log out of Destiny from Settings>Log Out>Change Character.
6) Pick the character you used to dupe bounties with.
7) Pick up bounties again and profit.

2real4tv

Even with the Blast Radius perk selected, people can be within 4 feet of it and not die.

Might post some clips soon, it's infuriating in Crucible. If you're within radius of the cluster bomb explosions, you should at least take some damage.

Yeah I shot someone in the face with one he still had >50% of his energy, thought the secondary explosion would kill him...nope.

So far all the raid weapons have been garbage. I have the fusion rifle, RL and MG, the FR seems to be the most effective just can't tell if any better than a normal lengendary FR.

Bizazedo

Bizazedo, yup fun. A bit frustrating with the stacked teams but we won so that's all that matters.

That was insane. We usually roll and hardly ever lose, but we were running into full teams every game it felt like.

As a result had some TIGHT games and satisfying wins, but man it wasn't relaxing that was for sure.

Still, hope y'had fun / we were friendly enough :).

You need to complete the bounties before logout, otherwise they count towards new day.

Also for some reason Eris bounties don't reset completely the first time, you might only get 2 bounties instead of 4. If you logout and return, you usually see all four in the inventory. Six is still better than four though. Looks like Bungie knows about the glitch, but they're still giving you some rope with it.

FyreWulff

You need to complete the bounties before logout, otherwise they count towards new day.

Also for some reason Eris bounties don't reset completely the first time, you might only get 2 bounties instead of 4. If you logout and return, you usually see all four in the inventory. Six is still better than four though. Looks like Bungie knows about the glitch, but they're still giving you some rope with it.

It's been there since launch. The Eris bounties act weird in general. One day, my friend Ratsult wasn't even offered the Hunt Knights bounty like the rest of us were. I've also logged into alts and they were offered a 5th bounty that my main didn't get.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So if Bungie has a hard-on for the number 7 (this is still a thing right?) and it's a relatively not dangerous assumption that the VoG has 7 chests we have yet to find. Is it also a not bad assumption to assume Crota's End does too? And if that's the case, it doesn't seem like there's enough playing space or time to accommodate all those chests. What if, the Raid we're missing an entire part of it? Like a Symphony of the Night Inverted Castle deal. Bungie doesn't seem hesitant to pull something insane like that y'know.

So if Bungie has a hard-on for the number 7 (this is still a thing right?) and it's a relatively not dangerous assumption that the VoG has 7 chests we have yet to find. Is it also a not bad assumption to assume Crota's End does too? And if that's the case, it doesn't seem like there's enough playing space or time to accommodate all those chests. What if, the Raid we're missing an entire part of it? Like a Symphony of the Night Inverted Castle deal. Bungie doesn't seem hesitant to pull something insane like that y'know.

What if they're hard mode exclusive?

Also I'm thinking of doing another CE. So, if anyone needs to do it please quote this post and I'll add you :)

Crota's End

1. Dhruv_hanom
2. OPEN
3. OPEN
4. OPEN
5. OPEN
6. OPEN

KingV

Of course the player is mostly to blame, but I fault Bungie also. Their, "everyone's a winner mentality" is terrible for pvp. Winning gives you three marks, while losing still gives you two. That is hardly that much of a difference, same goes for rep. I can easily see why people just idle not giving a shit because they are still rewarded almost the same. Most people already don't like pvp in this game, so they don't care about the outcome of the match, just as long as they get the rewards.

The rewards for wins and losses in crucible are just awful all around. It takes forever to level, you rarely get even a blue engram, and the marks are super stingy.They should double the mark rewards (if not more like 5 for a loss 10 for a win) and double the rep for both winners and losers in crucible.

If losers get nothing, that mode would be empty.

Well the Gorgon's function the way a Minotaur would with instant death and a Labyrinth doesn't actually need to be traditional maze. I'd say that given the cave being pretty disorienting and the path through is pretty well hidden, it qualifies.

I have a hard time calling something a labryinth when you can literally run a straight line from entrance to exit (even on hard, with invis). Like I said, I remember doing it the first time and it really felt like a maze which is why the name stuck. But it doesn't hold up from that perspective on further review (I still love it though).

By Minotaur, I meant the Destiny version, like a big Gate Lord mini boss. As pointed out, Atheon fills this roll well. Only nitpick is that he's at the "bottom" of the raid (which would be the labryinth in this example) even if it might be the center of Venus/time. Bungie said "the descent" is the theme of VoG, I don't think the parallels to the legend are meant to be taken too literally.

Like a Symphony of the Night Inverted Castle deal. Bungie doesn't seem hesitant to pull something insane like that y'know.

Lol please don't get my hopes up like that. 7 is very evident in VoG, haven't noticed it really at all in CE but who knows.

Edit: including spirit bloom, there are 5 known chests in VoG. There really really seems like a chest spot in the little cave after gorgons, if you take the left path at the jumps and drop down. That would be 6. #7 would have to be something after Atheon, maybe related to the portals. I really don't think it's a glitch that VoG never boots you to orbit/mission summary screen, especially considering CE does boot you even though there is no countdown.

What if they're hard mode exclusive?

Also I'm thinking of doing another CE. So, if anyone needs to do it please quote this post and I'll add you :)

Crota's End

1. Dhruv_hanom
2. OPEN
3. OPEN
4. OPEN
5. OPEN
6. OPEN

Dhruv I got a buddy that needs this. Got room for two? Is this going on right now?

My psn is same as GAF handle

Bogeypop

Oh shit forgot today was reset day, to lazy to go back in the thread and see if anyone's setting up Crota/VoG/Nightfall groups. If you've got a spot open I'm down. for any of those.

EDIT: Nevermind it's tomorrow, I got my days wrong...
yviwqMQ.png

Here I was getting excited for nothing

First timers are always welcome :)

I'm just a shrub sitting at GMT+ 5:30 right now :-D
Which should change to Pst or Est in 7 months

Cool, thanks. I play with so many international people I can never keep time zones straight. You moving for work or school soon? Good luck with whatever your next life adventure is!

Oh shit forgot today was reset day, to lazy to go back in the thread and see if anyone's setting up Crota/VoG/Nightfall groups. If you've got a spot open I'm down. for any of those.

One day early for weekly reset actually. :)

We've got a raid/nf group going tomorrow but it's currently full. I'll keep you in mind in case anybody drops.

Ohk so here's the list

Crota's End

1. Dhruv_hanom
2. the_log_ride
3. the_log_ride's buddy
4. sebattleship
5. jiiikoo
6. saithan

Seabattleship I've sent you a friend request, you there?
Cool, thanks. I play with so many international people I can never keep time zones straight. You moving for work or school soon? Good luck with whatever your next life adventure is!

School, I've applied to schools for my masters.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
1) Make sure you're online with the character you want to dupe bounties with before daily reset.
2) After the daily reset, pick up the bounties from Eris and the Bounty Quartermaster.
3) Finish the bounties.
4) Turn bounties in.
5) Log out of Destiny from Settings>Log Out>Change Character.
6) Pick the character you used to dupe bounties with.
7) Pick up bounties again and profit.

stay logged on at reset. Grab bounties and complete them right then. Log out and log back in and the bounties will be back.

Thanks a lot, guys :)

School, I've applied to schools for my masters.

Awesome. Recently finished my MS (biomedical engr) and supposed to be doing PhD now but my advisor was a bum and went broke so I have no lab now, but still getting paid to play destiny basically. Not sure where you're applying, but I'm at U of Michigan now. Supposed to be great for my field but the people have sucked pretty bad so far. Hope you have better luck!

Top Bottom