• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Qwell

Would anyone be up for a quick Hard VoG tonight? I love that raid and wouldn't mind a chance at a 3rd Fatebringer + possible exotic from Atheon himself. Let's say 5:30pm Pacific .... hopefully I won't be late because my commute sucks. PS4 of course

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
3. Coconut (PSN: KrugerrandMan)
4. EroticSushi
5. Thesoremaker

coming along nicely, see folks at 5:30pm PST

realcZk

I agree, however, it would be oddly ironic considering the weight of the best loot drops towards people who do exactly that.

It is a great way to make those types of people quit playing their game. And yes, I'm sure that's exactly what they would be into.

imo i have a feeling that's a huge chunk of the game population and would hurt bungie more than it would help them

Grimsen

I would definitely expect the crota cheese to at some point warrant a ban/reset.

I doubt it very much.

-It doesn't affect other players like PVP exploits.
-They have DLC to sell.

Then again, Bungie has shown time and again how out of touch they are with their community, so who knows? it'll be an interesting meltdown if it happens.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Would anyone be up for a quick Hard VoG tonight? I love that raid and wouldn't mind a chance at a 3rd Fatebringer + possible exotic from Atheon himself. Let's say 5:30pm Pacific .... hopefully I won't be late because my commute sucks. PS4 of course

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
4. EroticSushi

Groovy, just need 2 more
put me down for this. If you guys are okay with me bringing my level 28 warlock, just through killing the Templar,I would be happy to grab my Titan or hunter for the rest to help out. Just want another shot at fatebringer. I know the encounter very well, I have done it before (sniping up top with ice breaker). Would that be cool?

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
4. EroticSushi
5. Thesoremaker

coming along nicely, see folks at 5:30pm PST

Add me to that list. Already have you on my friends, Da_1_hated_tito

Homeboyd

imo i have a feeling that's a huge chunk of the game population and would hurt bungie more than it would help them
They likely wouldn't do anything unannounced. i.e. ban/reset players for current cheese methods, however, anything in violation of live/psn's ToS would be reason enough. I would assume quitting the game or unplugging your router (both would be network manipulation) to cheat the game would be something they would announce as a bannable/resettable offense.

But like I said, don't think they would do that without an announcement first.

E92 M3

They likely wouldn't do anything unannounced. i.e. ban/reset players for current cheese methods, however, anything in violation of live/psn's ToS would be reason enough. I would assume quitting the game or unplugging your router (both would be network manipulation) to cheat the game would be something they would announce as a bannable/resettable offense.

I definitely think they will issue a warning before taking to the ban hammer. Destiny communities might explode if they start resetting accounts lol.

well... resetting character progress sounds like a great way to make people quit playing your game, if that's what they're into

Yeah, honestly I don't see how they could reasonably punish people for this cheese. There is no manipulation of the network or anything. Somebody leaves and Crota stays sleepy. There are still plenty of ways for people to fuck it up.

If they were to reset character progress in any way because of it, I can't imagine it would go over well. This isn't Reach, where your rank is just something you get to show people. This game depends on your time invested into what you have done. The Crota cheese is a lot easier than the regular fight, but it isn't foolproof. Short of just taking away rewards earned from cheesed sessions (which I can't even imagine they can do) there is no real reasonable form of punishment.

Their entire raid can be solo'd one way or another. That is their fault for making us beta test their content. This is why Hard Mode is not coming until next month.

Out 1

I'm sure this has been covered already, but what are the perks to look for in Perun's Fire? Coils, Perfect Balance, Hip Fire? What else?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tito you could swap in with me right after Templar, unless you're hunting db too in which case you can have the slot

Ambitious

When I encounter an AFKer, I would love to start dancing and just do something else in the meantime until he leaves frustrated, but usually the third player just goes on and tries to beat the strike alone. Makes me feel like an asshole, so I continue too.

realcZk

Yeah, honestly I don't see how they could reasonably punish people for this cheese. There is no manipulation of the network or anything. Somebody leaves and Crota stays sleepy. There are still plenty of ways for people to fuck it up.

If they were to reset character progress in any way because of it, I can't imagine it would go over well. This isn't Reach, where your rank is just something you get to show people. This game depends on your time invested into what you have done. The Crota cheese is a lot easier than the regular fight, but it isn't foolproof. Short of just taking away rewards earned from cheesed sessions (which I can't even imagine they can do) there is no real reasonable form of punishment.

Their entire raid can be solo'd one way or another. That is their fault for making us beta test their content. This is why Hard Mode is not coming until next month.

the biggest thing is that they'd have to be sure, without a doubt that the person was exploiting the game before banning them, or it'd be a total shitshow if they banned players who were disconnected for a variety of other animal-related errors during the crota fight. this all relies on their logging levels.

Pickman

On normal without doing critical damage. Any time you land a IB shot on the hobgoblin they die in one shot. I was also a 31 if that helps.

Can confirm, was intentionally shooting them in the dick instead of the belly the other night and they were popping like grapes.

EL CUCO

So I needed some Plasteen Plastic (whatever that's called) to upgrade my Titan's gear but since I have the Bad Juju bounty on my Warlock, I decided to run the strikes on him and transfer all the blue engrams I picked up to my Titan. I can confirm, the Cryptarch decrypted all my Warlock acquired blues into Titan gear. winning

Greenymac

So I needed some Plasteen Plastic (whatever that's called) to upgrade my Titan's gear but since I have the Bad Juju bounty on my Warlock, I decided to run the strikes on him and transfer all the blue engrams I picked up to my Titan. I can confirm, the Cryptarch decrypted all my Warlock acquired blues into Titan gear. winning

Yeah, did this for both alts and oddly enough i need the plating for my weakass Titan....sheesh

patchday

Can't wait 'till Bungie bans the filthy scum that logs out & back into a Nightfall to avoid wipes.

Bungie ain't worried bout Nightfall & weeklies. They block that sort of thing in the raid which is what really matters towards progressing your character to the endgame (L32)

If anything, they are probably glad to see people logout/login. It's occupying people "time" (takes much longer to complete the activity)

I am sure they have a goal of how many hours in a day they wish for the game to occupy your time. Notice, they only appear to patch 'shortcuts' that save the gamer time. Any sort of cheese that does not save the gamer time is not touched

Deku Tree

They reset a TON of Reach player's ranks just for afk'ing in firefight. No network manipulation or "cheating" of any kind. Simply making the game less enjoyable for others. Some of those people spent hundreds and hundreds of hours ranking up that were reset to 0.

Cheesing is not at all the same thing as network manipulation which likely will be considered cheating and will get you banned/reset/etc... but with Bungie, you don't even have to "cheat" to get punished as was the case with Reach. I would definitely expect the crota cheese to at some point warrant a ban/reset.

Can't wait 'till Bungie bans the filthy scum that logs out & back into a Nightfall to avoid wipes.

Given the way that Bungie treats AFKers on the strike playlist and in crucible now it would be really awful for them to just start resetting people who put 100 of hours into the game without giving them prior warning to stop. If they want you to stop playing in certain ways they should make an announcement. So far they have been condoning everything except PvP cheating heavy ammo exploits etc. they make jokes about cheese in their recent weekly update. Doing bans like people are suggesting would be an 180 for modern Bungie IMO. And I would hope if they ever did it then they would give people a heads up fair warning. Right now people are playing with the assumption that what they are doing Is OK.

R0ckman

I wish they'd do something similar to people who afk in Crucible or Strike playlists.

They just can't punish like this, its the result of a random grindy system that they refuse to fix, they only have two choices, look at their grindy system and fix it, or allow for this crap to continue, any other choice will cause users to leave.

Pickman

"We at Bungie have heard you loud and clear, so in your mailbag this week expect to find a little holiday cheer in the form of an equippable Santa Hat for your Guardian!"

"We at Bungie would like to apologise following the "going to Orbit while wearing a Santa Hat has deleted my equipped helmet" bug that we found out about after we came back from our vacation in the Swiss Alps. We'll get to it sometime around Q2 2015.

Bizazedo

Given the way that Bungie treats AFKers on the strike playlist and in crucible now it would be really awful for them to just start resetting people who put 100 of hours into the game without giving them prior warning to stop. If they want you to stop playing in certain ways they should make an announcement. So far they have been condoning everything except PvP cheating heavy ammo exploits etc. they make jokes about cheese in their recent weekly update. Doing bans like people are suggesting would be an 180 for modern Bungie IMO. And I would hope if they ever did it then they would give people a heads up fair warning. Right now people are playing with the assumption that what they are doing Is OK.

You're not implying AFK'ng through Crucible or the Strikelist is okay, are you?

Maledict

I doubt it very much.

-It doesn't affect other players like PVP exploits.
-They have DLC to sell.

Then again, Bungie has shown time and again how out of touch they are with their community, so who knows? it'll be an interesting meltdown if it happens.

Every other MMO on the *planet* would have done something by now. I'm frankly astonished they haven't even addressed it at all.

Just because something "doesn't affect other players " (BTW, it does a huge amount!) having your entire expansions content be trivialised by a series of stupid bugs and bad coding errors just makes a mockery of the game. Why they aren't addressing it is beyond me.

some of which are remembered more than others

tumblr_nfdia4dPHC1qk08n1o1_500.gif

Zakalwe

Banned
Please could someone help me run my hunter through the Nightfall?

I'd solo it, but he's only 27. Can take my 31 Titan till the last moment then switch, it'll take no time to get there.

Psn: astropoff

R0ckman

You're not implying AFK'ng through Crucible or the Strikelist is okay, are you?

No, as I said, its a result of a grindy random system, they have to look at these problems and fix them first. Punishing AFKers and not fixing the system will get more people to leave.

Notice how they handled the loot cave. While it was patched in mediocrity they added a few things to encourage people to actually play the game. Now doing strikes will actually grant you a healthy pile of engrams for the same amount of time you get them from shooting at a doorway of enemies. If they just punish players it will cause them to leave. I'm explaining this from what I would assume to be their point of view. I hate AFKers but I realize its not that simple.

"We've Awoken the Hive!" for all your bounty needs. Seriously, there are so many bounties you can complete here. It's almost comical.

was watching a Datto video about leveling the Husk, and he said, "so naturally you're going to have to AWAKEN THE HIVE to level this up."

It's like a community eye-roll now; watching that stupid cutscene basically every day and never letting the Hive get any damn rest.

Bizazedo

No, as I said, its a result of a grindy random system, they have to look at these problems and fix them first. Punishing AFKers and not fixing the system will get more people to leave.

Notice how they handled the loot cave. While it was patched in mediocrity they added a few things to encourage people to actually play the game. Now doing strikes will actually grant you a healthy pile of engrams for the same amount of time you get them from shooting at a doorway of enemies. If they just punish players it will cause them to leave. I'm explaining this from what I would assume to be their point of view. I hate AFKers but I realize its not that simple.

At a certain point, though, you just have to say...."Guys / Gals....you have to put in the work. If not, then this is not your game."

E92 M3

"We've Awoken the Hive!" for all your bounty needs. Seriously, there are so many bounties you can complete here. It's almost comical.

Yes, I've been waking up the hive for all of my experience points needs. I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie change it and said "Sorry guys, the Hive were only supposed to be woken up once. All subsequent play-throughs will have no Thrall running out. To compensate, we put in 3 hollowed knights and 5 ogres." <3 Bungie

R0ckman

At a certain point, though, you just have to say...."Guys / Gals....you have to put in the work. If not, then this is not your game."

Aaaand the work usually leads to a RNG table. They have to look into things like trading and directly gambling for loot.

An example, public events don't always reward you, what the hell were they thinking with that? AT LEAST let them be guaranteed to drop the local minerals. No one works if they feel the end result is not rewarding enough.

Dwalls

Neo Member
was watching a Datto video about leveling the Husk, and he said, "so naturally you're going to have to AWAKEN THE HIVE to level this up."

It's like a community eye-roll now; watching that stupid cutscene basically every day and never letting the Hive get any damn rest.

I personally enjoy waking the hive a lot. The A.I is just so amazing in that section, the thralls part like waves rushing to shore, the boomer flanks with the grace of a lightfooted 350 pound linebacker, and the acolytes have sniper skills to make marine snipers look foolish. Who cares if it's only level 9, and I can't really die, and I've run it several thousand times. It's honestly some of the most amazing gameplay I've ever had the privilege of playing through. I don't even do it for the loot or bounties at this point. I just go there to blow off some steam and slay some hive. It's quite frankly a masterstroke of gamedesign.

Qwell

I was aiming to take down the Templar specifically, but I could try to find an earlier an earlier group as I'm free now.
We can play it by ear, but we definitely have a full group now, I'll invite to party chat when we get home to figure out the last slot.

kidko

Be careful what you wish for!

Just pushed hard to grind out a New Monarchy rank, hoping and praying to RNGeez for a helmet to complete my ensembe... sure enough, a helmet drops!... FOR THE WRONG CLASS

x____x

mhayze

Sup guys, I'm looking to learn VoG and get some VoG raid weapons - I am at Lvl 30, and I've only played about 1/2way through VoG once with some buddies. Two questions

• Are sites like DestinyLFG the way to go - i.e. have people had good experience using that or other sites? (and should I use DestinyLFG.net or .com) - sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm wary because of the time investment
  • Since I'm level 30 and need lots of shards to get to 31, should I play VoG and then just disassemble armor I get from there? Or is there a better way to get shards? I do the dailies, but since Ascendant mats are divided amongst coins, energy and shards, I feel like it's been very slow going.

Top Bottom