• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Yup :/ I think I won't be 32 unless I trade energy for shards. I won't upgrade any weapon until I'm 32 with all my characters.

Yes definitely. Might upgrade the black hammer just cause I like it so much but Leveling to 32 should definitely be a priority with Hard Mode coming out next month

Coconut

Banned
Would anyone be up for a quick Hard VoG tonight? I love that raid and wouldn't mind a chance at a 3rd Fatebringer + possible exotic from Atheon himself. Let's say 5:30pm Pacific .... hopefully I won't be late because my commute sucks. PS4 of course

1. Qwell
2.Coconut (PSN: KrugerrandMan)

Put me down Qwell

patchday

A lot of them also seem really imbalanced too and are doorways to inconsistent glitches. Titan Tantrum seems to sometimes give the Titan invincibility frames as he uses it, but one time my friend was killed right before he slammed down, I've used Golden Gun on a Titan at the same time he started his super, didn't effect him at all. On top of all of this, they get added abilities that cover their weaknesses, a beam that travels along a path so you can't back up to avoid the attack, an AOE after the move is used etc.

Yeah, I only use it for bounties, its easier to do them because the players are distracted with controlling zones and taking certain paths. I don't get why control is the mode that bungie promotes the most.

I don't know, the gun play mechanics are really fun and I like the futuristic fantasy aspects of the game, but everything else is just so frustrating.

Originally being big on the Halo multiplayer community, I'm also not a fan of the implementation of sprinting in modern FPS games, it devalues sniping and in certain situations encourages you to camp in areas where you know they have limited movement. It also saves people in situations where they have encounters they would normally die in.

I actually wish we could be a bit more mobile and have more room to dodge all of this crazy AoE. That way things like Nova Bomb wouldn't be a free kill. That being said- on my Hunter I have escaped Nova Bomb on occasion with the blink-teleports. But that Void Grenade just follows me around all over the place no matter what I think

Of course all that relies on the map being open enough for me to use my Blink.

My titan is just dead meat when a Nova is enroute unless I pop a bubble :)

There are some counters to certain things but it depends on a special build...

In Halo, at least my favorite maps in Reach, I vividly recall much more room. Was watching stream of Halo 5. The maps seemed wide open. Maybe I am just seeing what I want to see I dunno lol

Also, with all of this cheesing people yet again will not know how to fight Crota legit - there is already enough struggle.

Man, raid matchmaking would be such a travesty lol.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer has a 'super hard' mode that requires talented players to burn through. I think it was called 'Platnium' mode. Ah, matchmaking was so good there. And the community would still form teams but not as much as Destiny GAF tho by far is my guess

Yes, the clan features definitely need to be carved out more in some fashion. Maybe Destiny 2. Bungie added new voice options but nobody ever uses them. I've only ran into people talking once lol.

Yeah I wish voices were enabled by default like in other games. I hope Destiny isn't a bad sign of the future. In other games, like CoD: AW, even though my mic might not be hooked up I can clearly hear the other teammates talking. But they tend to have good mute features in these games. Halo did too.

my guess is Bungie is focusing hard on the younger audiences.

Qwell

Would anyone be up for a quick Hard VoG tonight? I love that raid and wouldn't mind a chance at a 3rd Fatebringer + possible exotic from Atheon himself. Let's say 5:30pm Pacific .... hopefully I won't be late because my commute sucks. PS4 of course

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
3. Coconut (PSN: KrugerrandMan)
Thought maybe no one was up for it, but hopefully we can find some more people, it should be a quick run.

E92 M3

You talking about the party leader disconnecting cheese. It sucks but I don't see how they can punish ppl for it. It's not like people are doing something like changing game code or hacking. All they're doing is something that everyone does everyday; quit out of a game. It just happens that a byproduct of that renders the boss fight useless.

I think punishing people for that would be dumb on their part.

Ah, I thought disconnecting a router or something was involved.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer has a 'super hard' mode that requires talented players to burn through. I think it was called 'Platnium' mode. Ah, matchmaking was so good there. And the community would still form teams but not as much as Destiny GAF tho by far is my guess

What kind of variables affected success in ME3? Skill more important than items, or is it a mixture of both?

patchday

What kind of variables affected success in ME3? Skill more important than items, or is it a mixture of both?

To be fair, I guess Destiny does require a bit more coordination.

In ME3 MP both are a high factor. You'll get kicked out of a Platnium match asap if the team feels like you do not have near max equipment. But on top of that you need a lot of skill.

I suppose I can't adequately compare that game to Destiny to be fair. Since ME3 MP is really just Horde mode. There is some coordination but it is all mostly routine

Coconut

Banned
Thought maybe no one was up for it, but hopefully we can find some more people, it should be a quick run.

Totes down I also have some folks that might be down to join if we don't fill out the team. I'm hoping for a quick and clean run with a vision of confluence drop for myself. See you at 530

COUGH COUGH titan shoulder charge COUGH COUGH

This is completely anecdotal because it's hard to test but I've found that if I use my throwing knife and it hits them while in the shoulder charge animation, it instantly kills them.

I'm not sure if this is coincidence (as in I didn't notice them already having less than full health) or a result of the physics of the speed they're traveling when the knife hits. It's fun when it happens though.

So whats the deal with Hive disruptor. I seen some posts saying it dosent work and i should not upgrade it?

Anyone wanna bring me up to speed, i have both the black hammer and the machine gun (whatever its name is) ready to upgrade.

So whats the deal with Hive disruptor. I seen some posts saying it dosent work and i should not upgrade it?

Anyone wanna bring me up to speed, i have both the black hammer and the machine gun (whatever its name is) ready to upgrade.

Black Hammer loses it's perk against Hive if you upgrade.

I'm sure it'll get patched, but not anytime soon.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I really regret not buying a vita a long time ago so I could keeping doing bounties with remote play over the holidays...

:(

It basically does non-precision damage so it messes up the black hammer perk on hive majors/ultras
Edit: beaten

I really regret not buying a vita a long time ago so I could keeping doing bounties with remote play over the holidays...

I just got one and it is awesome.

However, the lag kinda sucks. And the Vita is uncomfortable to hold. So while it's cool, your shooting and maneuverability skills drop significantly.

The Void Must Flow - Voidwalker

Exotic Armor: Obsidian Mind
Exotic Weapon: Bad Juju
Subclass: Voidwalker
Necessary Subclass Skills: Nova Bomb - Shatter (hit more), Soul Rip, The Hunger, Embrace the Void
Legendary Complements: Murmur, Hezen Vengeance, any thing that kills stuff quickly, really.
Legendary Replacements: Unfriendly Giant
Notes:This build works well for PvE or PvP, if you can make the Bad Juju work for you in PvP. Obsidian Mind has an effect of decreasing the cooldown of your next Nova Bomb any time you use Nova Bomb, and the Bad Juju will increase gains toward your super from kills. The Soul Rip ability makes Energy Drain reduce the cooldown of your Nova Bomb additionally, Hunger increases the duration of your Energy Drain, and Embrace the Void makes your Nova Bomb and grenade trigger Energy Drain as well. Energy Drain normally decreases the cooldown of your grenade, but now it's going to impact your Nova Bomb as well.

I've been using this setup and it's pretty awesome. I prefer lance over shatter though because I like sniping stuff across the map with Nova Bombs.

1. Qwell
I'm up for it if you guys have a spot. Haven't done VoG since this expansion so I wouldn't mind going back to it for a change.

PSN: EroticSushi

I just got one and it is awesome.

However, the lag kinda sucks. And the Vita is uncomfortable to hold. So while it's cool, your shooting and maneuverability skills drop significantly.
I've done around ten nightfalls and a normal Vault of Glass raid top to bottom on it, not to mention countless bounties. If you have a great connection, the lag is minimal and easy to compensate for. You really need to have much greater than 5 up at home for it to work, though.

So are we getting the festive stuff at reset tomorrow? Or is it what I heard and it will just be a package at the post master after Christmas?

Atkison04

I'm waiting on like $150 worth of Amazon trade-in credit to hit so that I can order a vita myself for the same reasons. Damnit amazon, they've had my trade-ins since last Thursday and it is still processing!! Today is the last day to order and still receive before Christmas >.>

I've done around ten nightfalls and a normal Vault of Glass raid top to bottom on it, not to mention countless bounties. If you have a great connection, the lag is minimal and easy to compensate for. You really need to have much greater than 5 up at home for it to work, though.
5 what? Should I uncheck "direct connectly to the PS4" and go through my home wifi instead?

Ah ok so ill skip it on the Black hammer but upgrade on the machine gun since it perks have nothing to do with precision damage?
Yeah, pretty sure it's fine to upgrade your machine gun.

5 what? Should I uncheck "direct connectly to the PS4" and go through my home wifi instead?

Yeah, pretty sure it's fine to upgrade your machine gun.

He's talking about upload speed. And if you're having problems through wired, then I definitely wouldn't go wifi. Wired should be a stronger connection.

Hoodbury

Titan Tantrum seems to sometimes give the Titan invincibility frames as he uses it, but one time my friend was killed right before he slammed down, I've used Golden Gun on a Titan at the same time he started his super, didn't effect him at all. On top of all of this, they get added abilities that cover their weaknesses, a beam that travels along a path so you can't back up to avoid the attack, an AOE after the move is used etc.
Titans have a perk that makes us more durable during the titan smash animation. We give up the option of having shoulder charge for it though so not all titans choose that one.

Not sure what you mean about having a beam that travels along a path?

The AOE after the titan smash is also a perk we have to choose over other options, so not all titan smash's have that either.

Homeboyd

You talking about the party leader disconnecting cheese. It sucks but I don't see how they can punish ppl for it. It's not like people are doing something like changing game code or hacking. All they're doing is something that everyone does everyday; quit out of a game. It just happens that a byproduct of that renders the boss fight useless.

I think punishing people for that would be dumb on their part.
They reset a TON of Reach player's ranks just for afk'ing in firefight. No network manipulation or "cheating" of any kind. Simply making the game less enjoyable for others. Some of those people spent hundreds and hundreds of hours ranking up that were reset to 0.

Cheesing is not at all the same thing as network manipulation which likely will be considered cheating and will get you banned/reset/etc... but with Bungie, you don't even have to "cheat" to get punished as was the case with Reach. I would definitely expect the crota cheese to at some point warrant a ban/reset.

He's talking about upload speed. And if you're having problems through wired, then I definitely wouldn't go wifi. Wired should be a stronger connection.

Well my PS4 is wired and staying that way; I mean should I connect the Vita to my home wifi instead of connecting directly to the PS4.

Qwell

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
4. EroticSushi

Groovy, just need 2 more

Well my PS4 is wired and staying that way; I mean should I connect the Vita to my home wifi instead of connecting directly to the PS4.
Yes, absolutely. The wifi in the Vita is actually pretty bad and I have a dedicated router in my bedroom for remote play. I was actually talking about doing it over the internet from my work and 5 meant 5 mbps upload speed. Never do direct connect unless you are right next to the PS4.

LordofPwn

A lil sad i wasnt on the wall of shame. stupid crazy work...

Managed to do 3 CE raids, 3 nightfalls, and 3 heroic strikes already. can take a little breather before my tuesday - thursday break. I'll be up for a raid/nightfall/heroic starting at like 8am PST tomorrow if anyone wants in.

They reset a TON of Reach player's ranks just for afk'ing in firefight. No network manipulation or "cheating" of any kind. Simply making the game less enjoyable for others. Some of those people spent hundreds and hundreds of hours ranking up that were reset to 0.

Cheesing is not at all the same thing as network manipulation which likely will be considered cheating and will get you banned/reset/etc... but with Bungie, you don't even have to "cheat" to get punished as was the case with Reach. I would definitely expect the crota cheese to at some point warrant a ban/reset.

I wish they'd do something similar to people who afk in Crucible or Strike playlists.

Soremaker

Neo Member

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
4. EroticSushi

Groovy, just need 2 more

Sign me up.
Psn: Thesoremaker

realcZk

well... resetting character progress sounds like a great way to make people quit playing your game, if that's what they're into

Homeboyd

I wish they'd do something similar to people who afk in Crucible or Strike playlists.
I agree, however, it would be oddly ironic considering the weight of the best loot drops towards people who do exactly that.

well... resetting character progress sounds like a great way to make people quit playing your game, if that's what they're into
It is a great way to make those types of people quit playing their game. And yes, I'm sure that's exactly what they would be into.

Pickman

There's an easy solution to the latter. Wait until you're sure they're AFK, hop on your scooter, and then push them into a pack of mobs. If there's no pack of mobs nearby, jet your scooter after you've pushed them near a wall and obliterate them with the help of the Architects. Repeat until it's not funny anymore.

This is especially useful when they're trying to make you do all the work for the "complete a strike without dying" bounty.

noomi

Can't wait for the reset tomorrow, always the most exciting day of the week in destiny.

So many chances at exotic loot once more, and then another week without my horn or moon :(

Top Bottom