• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

BreakJohn

Most of you dudes seem to loiter on Reddit as well, but I figured I'd share this in case you missed it:

Easiest way to get your Husk of the Pit to max.

Load up The Wakening on Normal. Run past all the mobs until you come upon the room with the first Shrieker in it. Stay to the back and off the Shrieker, kill the exploding thralls, and dodge the Shrieker death bombs.

After you do this, stay in the room the Shrieker was in. 6 or 7 exploding thralls will charge you from the next room and then amble in slowly. Use your Husk to mow down one, and they will all pop and count as kills with the Husk.

They will respawn after 6 seconds and just keep coming over and over again. You can park here and shoot the slow walking exploding dudes at your leisure. Took me about 30 minutes to max mine out for Eris. Just don't go past the threshold of the door they come through to your room or they'll stop respawning.

did it in like 15 minutes just doing the regular old dark beyond. took i'd say about 380-420 kills.

Messiek

Do you need to be rep lv 4 to trade shards/energy? If so that's kind of messed up cause by the time most of us hit LV 4 we probably won't need to trade them.

Yup :/ I think I won't be 32 unless I trade energy for shards. I won't upgrade any weapon until I'm 32 with all my characters.

EL CUCO

I just hit rank 14 and received my first one, I know people that went 30+ ranks without a single one. I've had my share of crap rewards to... shards and cloaks a'plenty :/

Don't give up it'll come, I'm still after the Bittersteel Shader.

Man you've inspired me to throw that Dead Orbit class item back on. I got him up to about 10 but couldn't handle another lame ass D.O. package.

The one I REALLY want is Superblack, but I'm not sure if that's even in the game yet...I'll settle for Revenant (if I ever get it) in the meantime.

I think Gjallahorn gets asked for in CE so much because it makes for great timing on the 2nd down phase of Crota. But now that I think about it, I suppose its not like a requirement ... its more that rockets in general are the requirement. First down of a Crota should be steady primary damage while the sword gets in place ... when he gets back up for the 2nd down per sword it should be rockets. Gjallarhorn just makes it easy because a single person can down Crota because you can launch 2x Gjallarhorns back to back, but really as long as multiple people are shooting rockets at the same time, regardless if they are truth, gjallar, or vanguard bought etc, you just need that high burst dps.

But yes I admit, a lot of people do ask, and I have seen plenty of LFG that require the horn, but at least I haven't been a part of that first hand, I would have been excluded a ton since I had just gotten ghorn a week before the expansion.

Yeah it's interesting cause gjallarhorn is really not required for downing Crota. If anything it's more important for downing the sword bearer asap. I Think it's misinformation and makes people who don't have one feel like they're at a huge disadvantage going into the Crota fight. Taking down Crota the first time requires a steady DPS. Second time you can use any rockets (tracking prefered) or use high impact snipers with CM proving a steady dps.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I see the person got banned anyway. I was concerned because if that kind of shitposting was acceptable and regular, I get enough of that in other threads already and didn't want to add to the collection. In general I've found GAF game communities to be excellent, but a few tend to shelter some really toxic personalities if only because there isn't a dedicated mod checking the thread. But it seems this one has some kind of guardian angel.

*subs*
Just bear in mind: 1) the mods can't be around 24/7, and 2) sometimes, a bad experience someone has while playing will put them back here to vent their frustrations, and sometimes these posts go after the game's creators in a manner I know for sure you aren't personally ok with. but the truth, admitted or not, is that a pretty substantial majority of the people playing this game in this thread and other communities pretty much love the shit out of it even if they have a limitless list of criticisms.

872,404,449 hours, as included in the update last Thursday.

I haven't seen this converted, so I tried it.

872 million hours, that's roughly 36.3 million days.

That's about 1.21 million months.

So... if you were to lay out all of the time every player of Destiny had played Destiny, in a chronological "row," we'd have played Destiny collectively for about 100,000 years in the last three months. Well, three months and 13 days.

I'll stick with my tiny insular mod community for now.

Yea I solo'd the whole thing with my hunter. That was pretty fun. The other 2 I was able to do with groups.

I see about the chest now, it spawns randomly regardless if you touch any lamps. Need to get that with 2 more characters today. I'm all for radiant shards/energy! Need a ton of them.

The rock bounce is one of the most funnest cheats ever. Much better than the stupid Crota disconnect or Warlock breaking the oversoul that takes twice as long as doing it legit.

You can do it on any class as well. That knight rarely ever chases you as long as you let the darkness reset before scooting past him.

EL CUCO

Most of you dudes seem to loiter on Reddit as well, but I figured I'd share this in case you missed it:

Easiest way to get your Husk of the Pit to max.

Load up The Wakening on Normal. Run past all the mobs until you come upon the room with the first Shrieker in it. Stay to the back and off the Shrieker, kill the exploding thralls, and dodge the Shrieker death bombs.

After you do this, stay in the room the Shrieker was in. 6 or 7 exploding thralls will charge you from the next room and then amble in slowly. Use your Husk to mow down one, and they will all pop and count as kills with the Husk.

They will respawn after 6 seconds and just keep coming over and over again. You can park here and shoot the slow walking exploding dudes at your leisure. Took me about 30 minutes to max mine out for Eris. Just don't go past the threshold of the door they come through to your room or they'll stop respawning.

Idk man. Looks like a bunch of different moving parts using this strat. Seems alot easier to just WAKE THE HIVE. One time of running up to dead Titan (lol) hit square/X, shoot thrall/Acolytes, die, repeat.

Finished mine in about the same time and did alot less. Plus this way I can designated my 6 year old daughter to Thrall duty lol

realcZk

The rock bounce is one of the most funnest cheats ever. Much better than the stupid Crota disconnect or Warlock breaking the oversoul that takes twice as long as doing it legit.

You can do it on any class as well. That knight rarely ever chases you as long as you let the darkness reset before scooting past him.

i've seen it in action and it's hilarious to watch. lining up perfectly when the lamp explodes pushes you up onto a ledge you can follow right to the bridge, and no mobs spawn up there until you activate the bridge.

once you activate the bridge you can just hop on one of the rocks on the ground near the activation portal so thralls cant hit you haha.

R0ckman

did Control for awhile with a GAF'er yesterday. ugh, that mode just puts me in such a bad mood. Void Warlocks in particular seem like any noob can do well with. Just nova bomb + toss out those ridiculous grenades that follows the victim all around the map. What the hell was Bungie thinking... For simple fun I play Destiny pvp a bit but now I'm starting to get a lot better in CoD: AW so will probably be playing that a lot more for my pvp needs

Destiny still fun for some occasional shooting but the supers are just silly. They are a little better in the other modes though since you dont have to huddle together with the team at one spot making yourself an easy target for Novas. So I enjoy Clash a little more.

My old Destiny pvp group fell apart a few weeks ago though. They've all moved on. But still enjoy a little action with Gaf

but while they were active they wouldn't touch Control. It was only good for learning the 'points' (A,B, & C so you can call out over voice for help and make strategies)

[edit] To be clear, Not calling Warlock players 'unskilled' I wish I worded this post much better.

A lot of them also seem really imbalanced too and are doorways to inconsistent glitches. Titan Tantrum seems to sometimes give the Titan invincibility frames as he uses it, but one time my friend was killed right before he slammed down, I've used Golden Gun on a Titan at the same time he started his super, didn't effect him at all. On top of all of this, they get added abilities that cover their weaknesses, a beam that travels along a path so you can't back up to avoid the attack, an AOE after the move is used etc.

Yeah, I only use it for bounties, its easier to do them because the players are distracted with controlling zones and taking certain paths. I don't get why control is the mode that bungie promotes the most.

I don't know, the gun play mechanics are really fun and I like the futuristic fantasy aspects of the game, but everything else is just so frustrating.

Originally being big on the Halo multiplayer community, I'm also not a fan of the implementation of sprinting in modern FPS games, it devalues sniping and in certain situations encourages you to camp in areas where you know they have limited movement. It also saves people in situations where they have encounters they would normally die in.

Just bear in mind: 1) the mods can't be around 24/7, and 2) sometimes, a bad experience someone has while playing will put them back here to vent their frustrations, and sometimes these posts go after the game's creators in a manner I know for sure you aren't personally ok with. but the truth, admitted or not, is that a pretty substantial majority of the people playing this game in this thread and other communities pretty much love the shit out of it even if they have a limitless list of criticisms.

872,404,449 hours, as included in the update last Thursday.

I haven't seen this converted, so I tried it.

872 million hours, that's roughly 36.3 million days.

That's about 1.21 million months.

So... if you were to lay out all of the time every player of Destiny had played Destiny, in a chronological "row," we'd have played Destiny collectively for about 100,000 years in the last three months. Well, three months and 13 days.

I'll stick with my tiny insular mod community for now.

That's some pretty crazy stats!! I love this "tiny insular mod community". Everyone here has their days, their complaints, etc. But overall, love playing and most important, HAS FUN playing. Without Gaffers, I wouldn't be playing this game anymore because all of my IRL friends have stopped over a month ago. Only 1 of those had an alt so I really started loving this community to play with my alts until it became playing with all my characters. I've had a great time meeting and playing a lot of yall

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The lamp bounce "cheese" reminds me of the shit you'd find in NES games like the warp in Battletoads. I vote it never gets patched.

The disconnecting thing with Crota is getting hotfixed with a bullet though.

E92 M3

The lamp bounce "cheese" reminds me of the shit you'd find in NES games like the warp in Battletoads. I vote it never gets patched.

And possibly people using it might get punished. It's a very egregious cheese.

Ugh, that feeling when you pop a telemetry, turn in all your bounties and then realize you put the gun in the Vault instead of equip it. :/

i've seen it in action and it's hilarious to watch. lining up perfectly when the lamp explodes pushes you up onto a ledge you can follow right to the bridge, and no mobs spawn up there until you activate the bridge.

once you activate the bridge you can just hop on one of the rocks on the ground near the activation portal so thralls cant hit you haha.

That's how I do it. A lot easier than doing it with a group. Even with a group you can have everyone die and just have one person solo it for everyone

I agree, the lamp part is actually fun! The first time i successfully did it i ended up getting lost and back to the beginning hahaha but yea, it definitely reminds me of those fun findings back in the day and I hope they keep it

I had a go at it with each of my toons last week. It was fun starting solo, and then watching the party slowly fill up with people dead at the start and just watching me. By the time I got to the bridge, I ended up carrying a full party. Then they stuck around for my next toon.

E92 M3

Also, with all of this cheesing people yet again will not know how to fight Crota legit - there is already enough struggle.

Man, raid matchmaking would be such a travesty lol.

noomi

Also, with all of this cheesing people yet again will not know how to fight Crota legit - there is already enough struggle.

Man, raid matchmaking would be such a travesty lol.

Templar all over again, I actually like the Crota fight and enjoy doing it :)

Ugh, that feeling when you pop a telemetry, turn in all your bounties and then realize you put the gun in the Vault instead of equip it. :/

If it only came with telepathy as well :p

That feeling sucks! I've done it a couple of times with my alts/subclasses/guns and since then, I made a habit of checking everything before I turn in bounties.

Possibly, and it could warrant one, but at the same time there are a lot of folks that get wrapped up in it that don't want to be a part of it but are peer pressure in. Bungie should tread lightly. They didn't ban for Atheon cheese, so I doubt they do it here. It is similar on a qualitative scale imo.

If it only came with telepathy as well :p

That feeling sucks! I've done it a couple of times with my alts/subclasses/guns and since then, I made a habit of checking everything before I turn in bounties.

I usually double check too, but slipped my mind on th is. Lesson learned, again.

I enjoy it as well. It's a fun fight even though I've yet to be the swordbearer. I can only imagine that'd be another thrill.

Bridge and Crota I enjoy the most. I've yet to play Ir Yut since she doesn't drop loot, which needs to be fixed. Then I'd be able to enjoy the entire raid from the beginning for once and be able to bear with the lamps.

I was probably one of the first people to stumble upon the lamp bounce but wasn't clever enough to try and replicate it. Remember our first CE run when I was behind you guys and said I got blown up to where no enemies could get me? I then ended up triggering lamps a few lamps ahead of you guys, running backwards to try and find all of you? haha good times.

E92 M3

Indeed, and the Crota fight is a lot of fun...especially for the sword user :p

Possibly, and it could warrant one, but at the same time there are a lot of folks that get wrapped up in it that don't want to be a part of it but are peer pressure in. Bungie should tread lightly. They didn't ban for Atheon cheese, so I doubt they do it here. It is similar on a qualitative scale imo.

I don't know all of the details behind the Crota cheese, but if it involves network manipulation I expect some sort of ban. People got 2 week ban for the heavy ammo glitch lol.

They could at least add clan-based matchmaking.

Yes, the clan features definitely need to be carved out more in some fashion. Maybe Destiny 2. Bungie added new voice options but nobody ever uses them. I've only ran into people talking once lol.

I don't know all of the details behind the Crota cheese, but if it involves network manipulation I expect some sort of ban. People got 2 week ban for the heavy ammo glitch.

That is a possibility, but I think they were heavy handed because it was PvP and negatively impacted the experience of those on the receiving end so it had to be dealt with. No one is "hurt" with Crota cheese.

E92 M3

That is a possibility, but I think they were heavy handed because it was PvP and negatively impacted the experience of those on the receiving end so it had to be dealt with. No one is "hurt" with Crota cheese.

The integrity of the raid is hurt. I mean no one can disagree that it needs to be fixed ASAP, right?

Very true. If you spend a bunch of time getting into a group of six, just to find out they want to cheese it, it's hard to just bail. I try to be vocal that I don't want to cheese Crota, and hope that at least one or two others in the group speak up as well. You can kind of force the Warlock thing by just killing everything so there isn't anything left to kill the Warlock.

hydruxo

I don't think there's anything more satisfying than getting in a 1v1 duel with somebody in PVP and you're both almost dead and you just kill them with a throwing knife. So good. #HunterMasterRace

Dave_6

Would anyone be up for a quick Hard VoG tonight? I love that raid and wouldn't mind a chance at a 3rd Fatebringer + possible exotic from Atheon himself. Let's say 5:30pm Pacific .... hopefully I won't be late because my commute sucks. PS4 of course

1. Qwell

Put me down. I leave work at 6:00pm CST so that time you listed should work for me.

You talking about the party leader disconnecting cheese. It sucks but I don't see how they can punish ppl for it. It's not like people are doing something like changing game code or hacking. All they're doing is something that everyone does everyday; quit out of a game. It just happens that a byproduct of that renders the boss fight useless.

I think punishing people for that would be dumb on their part.

Been doing this all through Iron banner. Once theyre hit, its like they cant help but peek again...DEATH.

Why do so many people have this tendency? They know they're more hurt than I am but still somehow think they're going to get the 2 or 3 shots on me before I finish them off in 1. I don't know about you guys but when someone gets the jump on me I blink away like a little bitch. I also tend to have one of the highest k/ds in every match. Live to fight another day and stuff.

hydruxo

I think the Crota "cheese" is more of an exploit than cheese, but I don't see Bungie banning anyone for it and instead just patching it out.

Cheesing Atheon = using game mechanics to get Atheon to fall off the platform
"Cheesing" Crota = manipulating network connections to get Crota to stay down permanently

Top Bottom