• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

I stand by the fact that its gets to a point where there's nothing interesting about encountering a stumble in the raid, its already repetitive and grindy, just get through the raid and get the loot, who cares about a challenge, when there is nothing dynamic about it that makes it challenging, Crota is still going to do the same crap every time, you just make a mistake in a pattern and have to do it over.

I care. Destiny's loot system is mundane and repetitive, not rewarding. I never feel like I've earned anything unless I completed a quest or grinded materials to buy it. Lucking into a drop after half assing my way through a Raid does not sate my innate desire to excel and problem solve. I've been saying for months that I'd have preferred if the loot was distributed based on the difficulty of the Raid, so that incredible feats were encouraged (no deaths, par time, etc.). You're absolutely right that Crota is going to do the same thing every Raid, and most groups are going to do the same thing every Raid. It doesn't matter if you do anything different because the game is still going to put your loot through RNG, so why bother?

That's the problem I have. I'm not asking for challenge on top of this system because that'd make it even more annoying. I want better loot and a harder game so that my time investment matters.

That looks pretty sweet. Do you have any shots on the pages inside? Would like to see how it's structured.

There is a video on YT going through it all. Mine arrived last week and I love it, it's got some fantastic pieces in there and up there along with the Journey book.

Yup I was going to say the same. I don't want to post photos of the actual contents since it could get me in trouble here. It is really, really nice, just went through it all and story be damned, they got 2 things very right: the world building and their design. Some of these pieces are jaw dropping, for real.

I care. Destiny's loot system is mundane and repetitive, not rewarding. I never feel like I've earned anything unless I completed a quest or grinded materials to buy it. Lucking into a drop after half assing my way through a Raid does not sate my innate desire to excel and problem solve. I've been saying for months that I'd have preferred if the loot was distributed based on the difficulty of the Raid, so that incredible feats were encouraged (no deaths, par time, etc.). You're absolutely right that Crota is going to do the same thing every Raid, and most groups are going to do the same thing every Raid. It doesn't matter if you do anything different because the game is still going to put your loot through RNG, so why bother?

That's the problem I have. I'm not asking for challenge on top of this system because that'd make it even more annoying. I want better loot and a harder game so that my time investment matters.

My biggest problem is having to wait a whole damn week to have another chance at loot. It's so stupid

haven't really tried the sword super on crota yet since my group has mainly tried perfecting our sword efficiency but would love to give it a try. we know we messed up if it takes more than three swords. also today was the only time we fought crota for anything other than loot(even though two or our guys did get loot) so we haven't really been paying attention so much to the nuances of the encounter so much as the loot we get. the whole invis being boring thing is completely subjective, and you'll likely be saying the same thing once strategies for both lv31+ titans and warlocks become the norm.

The Crota encounter itself is boring, doesn't matter which class I'm running or job I'm doing (even sword). Of course it's subjective, basically everything anyone posts is just their subjective opinion. Crouching on a rock or dropping the sword to punch Crota while waiting for another shield break is boring to me. Titan is way more fun due to their incredible jump height. You can literally fly around the entire arena with R1 for mobility.

3 swords to kill really should be the baseline standard as a Lv31 but 4 swords are so easy to get in before enrage and allow a lot of room for error.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I had a few matches where I crouch in enemy territory and they just run pass me. Once I see their backs I go in for the kill.

patchday

My biggest problem is having to wait a whole damn week to have another chance at loot. It's so stupid

Yeah I'm a fan of letting the players choose how much they want to raid. Somehow let the team leader get the checkpoints (like it is now) but also add the option for them to reset their checkpoint allowing them to raid as much as they want

Unfortunately, Bungie apparently wants to be in total control of the player's progression. this is why I bypassed the DLC myself.

But this is fairly easy for me since I have other games that occupy my attention as well

BreakJohn

The Crota encounter itself is boring, doesn't matter which class I'm running or job I'm doing (even sword). Of course it's subjective, basically everything anyone posts is just their subjective opinion. Crouching on a rock or dropping the sword to punch Crota while waiting for another shield break is boring to me. Titan is way more fun due to their incredible jump height. You can literally fly around the entire arena with R1 for mobility.

3 swords to kill really should be the baseline standard as a Lv31 but 4 swords are so easy to get in before enrage and allow a lot of room for error.

hey thats fine by me, lol my main is a titan my hunter is my secondary and i have a warlock as well all lv31 so its not like i haven't tried all the classes, ive only taken down crota 7 times(6 times were for loot for 3 chars across two weeks) and ive taken crota down in two swords only twice so forgive me if its not boring to me yet, the first time i did it(was my second raid week as a hunter) my whole team was hype as hell and it was honestly one of the most exhilarating experiences i've had playing this game. now i proceeded to do it again today to perfect my craft and didn't find it boring in the least. my group is still having fun with crota. of course eventually i will reach that point where it'll just feel like a weekly repetitive grind for mats.

R0ckman

I care. Destiny's loot system is mundane and repetitive, not rewarding. I never feel like I've earned anything unless I completed a quest or grinded materials to buy it. Lucking into a drop after half assing my way through a Raid does not sate my innate desire to excel and problem solve. I've been saying for months that I'd have preferred if the loot was distributed based on the difficulty of the Raid, so that incredible feats were encouraged (no deaths, par time, etc.). You're absolutely right that Crota is going to do the same thing every Raid, and most groups are going to do the same thing every Raid. It doesn't matter if you do anything different because the game is still going to put your loot through RNG.

That's the problem I have.

I would agree with this if the game wasn't designed to be grindy, I also have the desire to problem solve which is why I enjoyed getting through the raid the first time, even after all of my drops except the last one were complete trash. This is a design philosophy in the game that they most likely will not change to keep the tier of players as even leveled as possible. It's the reason why in crucible I'm bombarded with supers and people can AFK and be horrible, while I carry the team and get nothing or the entire team can dominate and get nothing, everything is designed based on everyone having a fair chance, because its the only way to get the MOST people to keep playing. It's not like a school where they want that top elect group. It's quantity over quality in this case.

The only way for the game to offer a consistent challenge but keep the grind system is for the AI or events in the raid to be dynamic. Send in enemies randomly, dont have ogres always appear after the second attack on Crota, have them appear randomly, send in Wizards randomly etc.

I'm not arguing that the way things are now are fun, cause the raids aren't for a SMALL amount of people. There are probably many more people who have not touched the raids than people who are grinding them and finding them boring.

Deku Tree

Flawless attempt group from last night

DekuBleep (31 Warlock)
Messiek (31 Warlock Titan Hunter...)
sjay1994 (30 Warlock)
JTran2003 (30 Warlock)
iRAWRasaurus (31)
Log Ride

We were flawless all the way through twice except for the Templar expulsion bug and the jumping deaths. We said we wanted to try again tonight around the same time 9pm est. I can be on by 8:30. Please confirm if you can make it or if you can't. I'd like to try again as we are very close.

If you were shaky with you jumps then please watch the flawless video linked in the OP and we can practice the jumps.

Yeah I can be on.

For floatingdivider, I would assume it was joking post but posting doesnt allow to indicate the humor part. Always liked his "DLC review"

I'll be online. I won't mess the jump this time, I'll do the safest thing.
I'm sorry :|

I can make it

Reposting for new page. Please confirm if you can make it or if you can't.

Sh0k

Can somebody help me with a Nightfall run with my Hunter, made it to right before Pogoth by myself. PSN Shokleeto. I'll be waiting for 5 mins.

Can somebody help me with a Nightfall run with my Hunter, made it to right before Pogoth by myself. PSN Shokleeto. I'll be waiting for 5 mins.
Do you need to do the whole thing? About to do it with lik and drizzay said he would help out as well. Well I don't mind doing it with them drizzay let me know.

patchday

Raid resets should be every 3 days. People are making alts just to get more loot.

Yep. I was running 1 L29 hunter and 2 L29 titans for VoG. The one really good thing about the weekly limit is it kept me from blowing all my free time on the game. I probably would've raided from sun up to sun down

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well that was some good rest, now time to go level all this shit up + glimmer farm + max out marks, been lazy with those =/

People are deleting their alts and spending 8-10 hours re-leveling a new one over and over again just to get more than three chances at loot per week.

And here I am struggling to get any type of return on investment with my 2nd toon. I am lucky to just get a Heroic weekly out of it at this point. I barely have time to do everything I want/need on 1 character.

I will say that the game is probably perfectly paced in grind for someone like me. It seems I do just enough to hit to hit most caps each week and barely got my main to level 30 by the dlc drop.

Just cheesed my way through the Crota raid with a party of three. Didn't get anything aside from the shader, emblem and Black Hammer, but was still a pretty fun exercise in breaking a game.

If Bungie really wanted to chase the MMO crowd:

-No Raid lockouts. Players can run the Raid as many times as they like; however, you need to fill up a "Ready to Raid" meter by playing other end-game activities such as Strikes and the featured PvP playlist. The XP required to Raid increases each time you Raid, until you "max" your Raid clears and are able to run it back to back.

-One piece of armor is dropped each time you clear the Raid. However, this gear is nontraditional in that it needs certain requirements for it to be wearable (similar to husk of the pit requiring you to kill Hive to level up). The stats are random.

-Leveling up the Raid gear is only possible by doing the Raid again. This is similar to what they're doing with radiant materials.

-All other Raid loot divided into tiers (which are randomized therein) based on the success of the group. A speedy or flawless run unlocks the higher tier, whereas a sloppy run keeps the lower tier.

-It goes without saying that Raids should be more accessible too. Whether it's matchmaking or a place in the world for players to form groups (like a Raid gate), the average number of people attempting the raid should be higher.

It's still grinding. Hell, it's a ridiculous amount of grinding. But it's not time gated and it's not heavily dependent on RNG. Your investment in the encounter and in building your character are rewarded as opposed to cheesing your way through the bosses and hoping you get the boots you've been trying to get for the last 6 weeks.

I grinded games that used this system for years. There were entire guilds dedicated to farming the raids all day and you didn't need to make a new character to do it. The current RNG system serves nothing more than to prevent people from hitting the level cap after 2 weeks and then getting bored. It artificially stretches content to mask the fact that it's neither challenging or investing. However, given that there are players who grind alts and then regrind alts to do just that, I don't think it's necessary for those progression gates.

jaaz

Just cheesed my way through the Crota raid with a party of three. Didn't get anything aside from the shader, emblem and Black Hammer, but was still a pretty fun exercise in breaking a game.

Interesting. How did you cheese Crota with only 3? You had a hunter go invisible and lots of G-Horns?

R0ckman

-No Raid lockouts. Players can run the Raid as many times as they like; however, you need to fill up a "Ready to Raid" meter by playing other end-game activities such as Strikes and the featured PvP playlist. The XP required to Raid increases each time you Raid, until you "max" your Raid clears and are able to run it back to back.

-One piece of armor is dropped each time you clear the Raid. However, this gear is nontraditional in that it needs certain requirements for it to be wearable (similar to husk of the pit requiring you to kill Hive to level up). The stats are random.

-Leveling up the Raid gear is only possible by doing the Raid again. This is similar to what they're doing with radiant materials.

-All other Raid loot divided into tiers (which are randomized therein) based on the success of the group. A speedy or flawless run unlocks the higher tier, whereas a sloppy run keeps the lower tier.

-It goes without saying that Raids should be more accessible too. Whether it's matchmaking or a place in the world for players to form groups (like a Raid gate), the average number of people attempting the raid should be higher.

It's still grinding. Hell, it's a ridiculous amount of grinding. But it's not time gated and it's not heavily dependent on RNG. Your investment in the encounter and in building your character are rewarded as opposed to cheesing your way through the bosses and hoping you get the boots you've been trying to get for the last 6 weeks.

I grinded games that used this system for years. There were entire guilds dedicated to farming the raids all day and you didn't need to make a new character to do it.

I don't think that's the crowd Bungie (Activision) wants.

BreakJohn

I grinded games that used this system for years. There were entire guilds dedicated to farming the raids all day and you didn't need to make a new character to do it. The current RNG system serves nothing more than to prevent people from hitting the level cap after 2 weeks and then getting bored. It artificially stretches content to mask the fact that it's neither challenging or investing.

this all sounds amazing and almost too good to be true T.T

Sullichin

This is another post complaining that legendary primary engrams can turn into stupid shards :( Dreaming of 331 Hawkmoons and weapons unseen

Top Bottom