• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Dwalls

Neo Member
I just had some crazy socially interactive fun, I was doing the hive major bounty on earth. You know the place to the left of patrol start, and I met like 3 other guardians doing the same bounty. It was sort of hard to coordinate at first because none of us could seem to figure out how to get into a fireteam, but that's fine, we used our social emotes to communicate. I waved, they danced, I danced, they pointed, and soon enough we had established some deep form of sign language. I was worried about doing the bounty solo because those dudes down there are tough cookies but with this new found backup I felt unbeatable. We ended up punching out 10 hive dudes like some sort of crazy gang of people in multi-coloured armour, it was super fun running in there punching 3 dudes and running to the back wall only to do it again 3 more times. We had a dance party at the end as a gesture of mutual joy.

yea its possible to take him down in two swords before he even spawns the ogres, ive done it on my hunter(pretty sure only the hunter can take him down in two swords) though im not sure if lv32 titans and warlocks can also down him in two or not.

Downing him in 2 swords has nothing to do with sword runner's class. Lv31 of any class can kill him in 2 swords, Lv32 can supposedly kill him in 1. The only thing that matters for Crota is the shield break timing relative to sword runner's approach. Don't need GHorn, just do the same thing each time so the timing is predictable.

It kinda has though, this thread is still going strong because the same bunch of ocd assburgers having neurotic people keep posting semi inane shit about random number generators or LFGing. Everytime a Destiny thread shows up gaming side it's filled with page after page of people who know better than to run this treadmill and chime in to say they quit ages ago. 99% of the people I was raiding with at launch have quit this game and have moved on to greener pastures. So I wouldn't say the community is thriving, it's sort of self sustaining in the way tiny insular mod communities are but it's definitely not expanding and will peter out eventually.

I'm not trying to defend this post and he's already been banned anyway. But I do know and play with him a lot and can vouch that he is a good guy and likes to joke around. Some things sounds a lot harsher when posted online. Enough people already criticized the post so I just wanted to stick up for "my people" a little bit.

realcZk

I'm not trying to defend this post and he's already been banned anyway. But I do know and play with him a lot and can vouch that he is a good guy and likes to joke around. Some things sounds a lot harsher when posted online. Enough people already criticized the post so I just wanted to stick up for "my people" a little bit.

i wasn't offended by his post in the least but i can see how you could have received a sour taste from it. i took it as a joke (as i'm sure was it's intention) and honestly wasn't expecting to see him be banned for that, but its not my business to make those decisions. i remember his "fucking materials, yo" rant, one of my favorite posts in these OTs.

Namikaze1

I want to run a Crota raid before reset but my Hunter is only level 30. It's the only one of the 3 I still haven't run the raid with.

I really hope they fix the notification for the multi-point bounty (the Urn one). I don't want to do it (I have Raid gauntlets) yet the game REALLY wants me to!

BreakJohn

Downing him in 2 swords has nothing to do with sword runner's class. Lv31 of any class can kill him in 2 swords, Lv32 can supposedly kill him in 1. The only thing that matters for Crota is the shield break timing relative to sword runner's approach. Don't need GHorn, just do the same thing each time so the timing is predictable.

oh don't get me wrong im aware that all lv31s do the same amount of damage to crota its not like the hunter hits harder. the only reason why i said its more likely for a 31 hunter to down crota in two swords is because with invisibility you stay right on top of crota after the first down so its possible to get 5 RT hits on him to bring him down. actually its not just possible its necessary, i did a practice run with my group today and counted it takes exactly 17 RT hits at lv31 to down crota. on the first run you get 4+4 then on the second you do 4+5 of course if you miss your 5th hit because crota was immune(you messed up your timing or something) he WILL down you.

now having said all that, of course any other class can down crota in the same number of swords. how they go about doing it is a mystery to me though.

edit:may be 16 hits instead of 17 don't quite remember if my first sword was 3+4 or not.

Hoodbury

Yoooo.

What's the easiest way to make friends? My gf and I who play together are having trouble with the heroic Weekly and I myself need a third person to finish my exotic bounty at the Summoning Pitts.

Anyone have any advice :eek: ? Clans? Destiny forums? We're both still pretty new, me being a 30 Titan and her a 29 Hunter.

We didn't make it to OT 13 without any LFG posts you know. :p

Namikaze1

B5feZTNIIAAjz8z.jpg:orig
The things I come across.

I'm too busy staring at this Cabal Legionnaire to even notice LiK getting attacked.

patchday

Haha that materials rant was priceless. I sure was feeling that post. Farming mats was the worse. Felt like I got turned into an illegal bot or something cause all I used to do was run from node to node and I'd get frustrated if someone messed up my farm

Here is my Destiny Holiday Event wishlist

1. That they have a holiday event.

2. That Xur gives every player one exotic weapon of their choosing, from the list of all possible exoitcs, for free.

Hell, I know this won't happen, but it would be nice if Bungie threw players a bone once and awhile. I haven't gotten into the new raid yet, and mostly have been leveling my alts (All three are on the path to 31 now!), so I'm guessing this is why there has been a recent drought in cool new gear, but I'm thirsty as hell.

Haha that materials rant was priceless. I sure was feeling that post. Farming mats was the worse. Felt like I got turned into an illegal bot or something cause all I used to do was run from node to node and I'd get frustrated if someone messed up my farm

yep. Deej was right; it really is a "kids these days" thing now. My IRL buddies FINALLY got Destiny a couple weeks ago, and it's crazy how different their leveling/gearing experience has been compared to mine at launch.

Namikaze1

the hell is going on here
In the first pic, the level 11 guy apparently was afk cause I was there for a while and he never moved. Along came this other guy/gal and began t-bagging him. I just stood there laughing my ass off.

The second pic was from earlier. I don't know what happened. I just found his body like that.

Deku Tree

Flawless attempt group from last night

DekuBleep (31 Warlock)
Messiek (31 Warlock Titan Hunter...)
sjay1994 (30 Warlock)
JTran2003 (30 Warlock)
iRAWRasaurus (31)
Log Ride

We were flawless all the way through twice except for the Templar expulsion bug and the jumping deaths. We said we wanted to try again tonight around the same time 9pm est. I can be on by 8:30. Please confirm if you can make it or if you can't. I'd like to try again as we are very close.

If you were shaky with you jumps then please watch the flawless video linked in the OP and we can practice the jumps.

Namikaze1

Anyone wants to do a quick Crota run? I'm gonna need 31s to carry my Hunter through Deathsinger since the first two parts are easy and for Crota I'll just be on Knight duty with my maxed out Upgraded Ice Breaker.

blackflag

What would be good perks on Ghaleons demise? I keep retooling and I'm not satisfied. I at least wanted the bigger magazine perk but after like 8 refills its never came up.

Right now I have the one from Hawkmoon and rangefinder.

So my "Art of Destiny" just arrived and goddamn, this thing is huge, quite heavy too. It has over 200 pages of artwork, some I had seen online, but for the most part it was all new. Cool thing also is how some of the art has legends and explanations on the side, like why this is designed this way, or how this is supposed to look the way it does, and why.

Here's some pictures of the book with the cover (not taking any of the actual content, don't want to get myself in trouble):

Size comparison with a PS4 case

Back

When you take it off all you see is this:

BUT. Refract a bit of light on it, and this what you see (tried my best to show it off, kind of hard though):

All and all, great artwork in here. If you are an artist, or if you like to look at concept art, I would definitely recommend buying this.

That looks pretty sweet. Do you have any shots on the pages inside? Would like to see how it's structured.

gdt

Here's my Destiny Xmas wish list for this week.

Hawkmoon, Ice Breaker, and Suros (I know) from wherever. Ghorn upgrade from Xur.

Raid boots for my Hunter and Warlock (then they'd be done).

RNGeezus plz

That looks pretty sweet. Do you have any shots on the pages inside? Would like to see how it's structured.

There is a video on YT going through it all. Mine arrived last week and I love it, it's got some fantastic pieces in there and up there along with the Journey book.

i wasn't offended by his post in the least but i can see how you could have received a sour taste from it. i took it as a joke (as i'm sure was it's intention) and honestly wasn't expecting to see him be banned for that, but its not my business to make those decisions. i remember his "fucking materials, yo" rant, one of my favorite posts in these OTs.

Haha yeah that is classic Yzen humor. Sometimes he uses his power for good, sometimes for evil (apparently).

oh don't get me wrong im aware that all lv31s do the same amount of damage to crota its not like the hunter hits harder. the only reason why i said its more likely for a 31 hunter to down crota in two swords is because with invisibility you stay right on top of crota after the first down so its possible to get 5 RT hits on him to bring him down. actually its not just possible its necessary, i did a practice run with my group today and counted it takes exactly 17 RT hits at lv31 to down crota. on the first run you get 4+4 then on the second you do 4+5 of course if you miss your 5th hit because crota was immune(you messed up your timing or something) he WILL down you.

now having said all that, of course any other class can down crota in the same number of swords. how they go about doing it is a mystery to me though.

edit:may be 16 hits instead of 17 don't quite remember if my first sword was 3+4 or not.

The invis doesn't matter, just makes it easier/more boring. The shield break team should ideally throw the same damage at Crota each time or at least communicate well so sword guy can time his approach. Titans can jump straight from the ground with upgraded height jump, warlocks can get in position either on chalice table or side rocks. Soon as rockets are shot or damage is being dealt, jump straight up into his dumb face and chop away right as he's dropping.

Not positive about 16 vs. 17 heavy attacks either, but I know you can pick up 1 orb after grabbing the sword and you should have your super up by the end of the second combo. Do 4 R2s/heavy smashes and then quickly throw in the super attack for an animation cancel right after the 4th heavy smash connects.

Bollocks

lol wanted to beat hard mode vog with 5 lvl 31 and 1lvl 29. made it to atheon and just couldn't beat him. I mean I don't play a lot of raids but last time we beat him with all 30s and 1 down from the very start...
so, a group of 31 failing to beat atheon is..... something

Been doing some cleanup here today and came across my two PS4 Ghost editions that I had extra. Loaded them into one of my 'forget about it' closets. Will probably come across them again in about 5 years.

Too bad the ghost replicas probably won't work after that time.

EL CUCO

Nobody should be attempting flawless, that isn't 100% confident at the jumping puzzle. It's a disservice to the entire team if you do. A fluke pressure mistake can happen (I fell once jumping to the Templar's Well of all places) but you have to be able to clear it 9/10 under regular circumstances.

R0ckman

Haha yeah that is classic Yzen humor. Sometimes he uses his power for good, sometimes for evil (apparently).

The invis doesn't matter, just makes it easier/more boring. The shield break team should ideally throw the same damage at Crota each time or at least communicate well so sword guy can time his approach. Titans can jump straight from the ground with upgraded height jump, warlocks can get in position either on chalice table or side rocks. Soon as rockets are shot or damage is being dealt, jump straight up into his dumb face and chop away right as he's dropping.

Not positive about 16 vs. 17 heavy attacks either, but I know you can pick up 1 orb after grabbing the sword and you should have your super up by the end of the second combo. Do 4 R2s/heavy smashes and then quickly throw in the super attack for an animation cancel right after the 4th heavy smash connects.

I stand by the fact that its gets to a point where there's nothing interesting about encountering a stumble in the raid, its already repetitive and grindy, just get through the raid and get the loot, who cares about a challenge, when there is nothing dynamic about it that makes it challenging, Crota is still going to do the same crap every time, you just make a mistake in a pattern and have to do it over.

DekuBleep (31 Warlock)
sjay1994 (30 Warlock)
JTran2003 (30 Warlock)
iRAWRasaurus (31)
Log Ride

We were flawless all the way through twice except for the Templar expulsion bug and the jumping deaths. We said we wanted to try again tonight around the same time 9pm est. I can be on by 8:30. Please confirm if you can make it or if you can't. I'd like to try again as we are very close.

If you were shaky with you jumps then please watch the flawless video linked in the OP and we can practice the jumps.
Yeah I can be on.

For floatingdivider, I would assume it was joking post but posting doesnt allow to indicate the humor part. Always liked his "DLC review"

Messiek

DekuBleep (31 Warlock)
sjay1994 (30 Warlock)
JTran2003 (30 Warlock)
iRAWRasaurus (31)
Log Ride

I'll be online. I won't mess the jump this time, I'll do the safest thing.
I'm sorry :|

I stand by the fact that its gets to a point where there's nothing interesting about encountering a stumble in the raid, its already repetitive and grindy, just get through the raid and get the loot, who cares about a challenge, when there is nothing dynamic about it that makes it challenging, Crota is still going to do the same crap every time, you just make a mistake in a pattern and have to do it over.

Sure, I'm definitely not saying people shouldn't use the invis stuff or anything like that, it's totally fine. It's not any easier than Titans honestly and Warlocks just take a little adjustment. I've done shield break team with a Warlock sword runner where we had 3 straight wipe-less Crota kills. Crota has been on farm in my mind since the first weekend after the raid opened. Nothing wrong with people just wanting their loot and moving on.

BreakJohn

haven't really tried the sword super on crota yet since my group has mainly tried perfecting our sword efficiency but would love to give it a try. we know we messed up if it takes more than three swords. also today was the only time we fought crota for anything other than loot(even though two or our guys did get loot) so we haven't really been paying attention so much to the nuances of the encounter so much as the loot we get. the whole invis being boring thing is completely subjective, and you'll likely be saying the same thing once strategies for both lv31+ titans and warlocks become the norm.

Top Bottom