• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

zewone

If Bungie really wanted to chase the MMO crowd:

-No Raid lockouts. Players can run the Raid as many times as they like; however, you need to fill up a "Ready to Raid" meter by playing other end-game activities such as Strikes and the featured PvP playlist. The XP required to Raid increases each time you Raid, until you "max" your Raid clears and are able to run it back to back.

-One piece of armor is dropped each time you clear the Raid. However, this gear is nontraditional in that it needs certain requirements for it to be wearable (similar to husk of the pit requiring you to kill Hive to level up). The stats are random.

-Leveling up the Raid gear is only possible by doing the Raid again. This is similar to what they're doing with radiant materials.

-All other Raid loot divided into tiers (which are randomized therein) based on the success of the group. A speedy or flawless run unlocks the higher tier, whereas a sloppy run keeps the lower tier.

-It goes without saying that Raids should be more accessible too. Whether it's matchmaking or a place in the world for players to form groups (like a Raid gate), the average number of people attempting the raid should be higher.

It's still grinding. Hell, it's a ridiculous amount of grinding. But it's not time gated and it's not heavily dependent on RNG. Your investment in the encounter and in building your character are rewarded as opposed to cheesing your way through the bosses and hoping you get the boots you've been trying to get for the last 6 weeks.

I grinded games that used this system for years. There were entire guilds dedicated to farming the raids all day and you didn't need to make a new character to do it.
Coming directly from FFXIV before playing Destiny the games are very similar.

- Raid gear is locked out each week and loot is shared so you have to roll against each other; you're not even guaranteed a drop for your class. You also cannot help a different group get a clear if you have cleared the raid that week.

- Obtaining marks from doing strikes to save up for vendor gear to get in the raid. Also on a weekly cap.

Destiny can be more lenient. One of the reasons I don't get get the RNG complaint if you had any MMO experience. (not talking about you complaining about RNG, just people in general).

Deku Tree

I've seen level 32s and that really is the only way they could of done it. I think that is insane.

Starting Tomorrow a lot of people who did the raid on three characters every week will be able to get to 32 legit if they were lucky with radiant shard drops or if they reached Eris rank 4 already using the reset double bounties exploit.

SkylineRKR

I've seen level 32s and that really is the only way they could of done it. I think that is insane.

I'm not far from 32 and I have one alt. I think if I would make a third clone I could've been 32 by now. It depends on luck ofcource, but especially last week was generous on Shards and I got 2 duplicate pieces I could dismantle. It can be done without deleting.

SkylineRKR

I don't mind the RNG system in destiny per se. But they need to fix some shit, such as Strange coins in Nightfall. Getting 5 while you can get 9 guaranteed in weekly is ridiculous. Its only a blue item too.

Frostburn

I still need to kill Crota on my lvl 30 Hunter and my lvl 31 warlock friend needs it as well. Anyone running him tonight?

Forgot to add: PS4
PSN: US-Frostburn

Korosenai

They all have pro's and cons, but overall I think Primary Exotics are the least useful. In most every situation an Exotic special or heavy is a better choice. The Mythoclast is probably the only exception to this. That isn't to say there aren't some good primary exotics, because there are, they are just rarely the best choice.
Last Word and Suros say otherwise.

Coming directly from FFXIV before playing Destiny the games are very similar.

- Raid gear is locked out each week and loot is shared so you have to roll against each other; you're not even guaranteed a drop for your class. You also cannot help a different group get a clear if you have cleared the raid that week.

- Obtaining marks from doing strikes to save up for vendor gear to get in the raid. Also on a weekly cap.

Destiny can be more lenient. One of the reasons I don't get get the RNG complaint if you had any MMO experience. (not talking about you complaining about RNG, just people in general).

I haven't played that game, but going off of that alone I'd probably dislike it more than Destiny.

Raid is an end-game activity and I believe the best way to keep people playing the Raid is to tie the Raid into the rest of the game. Everything in the game should prepare you for and lead you to the Raid. And of course, everybody should have access to the Raid. That doesn't mean everybody should be able to clear it consistently, but if they do they're not being slapped in the face by an indiscriminate system that exists solely to "control" the distribution of the paltry amount of loot in the game.

Thanks to Boguester and iRawr for the NF help! Shit drop but it was fun.
anytime!

Yeah, not sure if that gaffer needs help still but I can jump in with you if they do.

Sure thing, our mutual Blade Dancer suicide mission to finish Phogoth was very entertaining, haha. Legendary fusion rifle with kneepads and "pick up ammo easier" .... pretty bad NF drop.
Enjoyed how we didn't say anything, just actives bladedancer at the same time and rushed in haha we did kill him right? Maybe Lik saved the day in the end.

Namikaze1

Ugh. My head hurts. Damn headache. Anyway, got shards and energy from the first two parts on my level 30 Hunter. Thanks, Nuzska, for the help with the second part. :)

Sucks we didn't get the second chest but it's no big deal to me. Got enough energy to turn in to max out one raid gear.

MADGAME

Are you just looking for chests? Because Trak and I have the checkpoint on normal if you want.

Forgot to save a hard mode one, but normal is better than nothing if you can't find it.

Yeah, just wanting to loot the place. Thank you for the offer but I already got the normal chests, was looking to double dip.

Dwalls

Neo Member
I don't mind the RNG system in destiny per se. But they need to fix some shit, such as Strange coins in Nightfall. Getting 5 while you can get 9 guaranteed in weekly is ridiculous. Its only a blue item too.

Well they probably checked when your last "fun" drop was and decided you didn't need another fun drop right then and there. It's super well paced, you'll always get the exotic you need eventually you just need to keep playing. Hell those coins are like a guaranteed exotic, you just need three more NF coin drops to get an exotic from Xur. That's a pretty great system tbh. It's especially great if you're playing with friends and they get cool stuff and you get shards, energy or coins because you can tease your friends about how awesome your loot is. It's super social because you feel left out and the only way to get back in is to run the nightfall again next week if you're lucky you might get some ascendant shards. Those are super useful, you can level up armour you won't be wearing in pve for much longer with those.

todd360

Seriously, anyone needs the second raid chest?

Also, Todd, I got Heart of Praxic Fire earlier today from an engram. Don't kill me!

The chances of getting a legendary engram that happens to be a chest which also happens to turn into praxic fire is slim to none. Yet it happens to everyone but me.

hey thats fine by me, lol my main is a titan my hunter is my secondary and i have a warlock as well all lv31 so its not like i haven't tried all the classes, ive only taken down crota 7 times(6 times were for loot for 3 chars across two weeks) and ive taken crota down in two swords only twice so forgive me if its not boring to me yet, the first time i did it(was my second raid week as a hunter) my whole team was hype as hell and it was honestly one of the most exhilarating experiences i've had playing this game. now i proceeded to do it again today to perfect my craft and didn't find it boring in the least. my group is still having fun with crota. of course eventually i will reach that point where it'll just feel like a weekly repetitive grind for mats.

Yeah, I'm sure I always come off as more down on Crota and CE in general than I really am. I don't explain my perspective well I guess. The exhilaration of my first kill is 2nd only to my first flawless in this game's hype department.

I have maybe 21? Crota clears but it's not about the number. It's just about the way the encounter is designed. It's extremely mechanically sparse, requires (to me) minimal significant team work, it doesn't build up much of anything throughout the raid. Just control adds, DPS shield, chop, gg.

Enjoyed how we didn't say anything, just actives bladedancer at the same time and rushed in haha we did kill him right? Maybe Lik saved the day in the end.

You were supposed to go stealth after activating the super! Didn't you get my telepathic message? haha I got a few hits on him which ?I think? killed him then I died simultaneously from an acolyte. Lik is the true legend either way.

Qwell

Ok heading home shortly for the Hard VoG Raid, looks like the final roster is as follows unless I missed someone earlier in the thread.

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
3. Coconut (PSN: KrugerrandMan)
4. EroticSushi
5. Thesoremaker
6. Hawkian (assuming da_hated_1 did get his group up and running)

and I assume we are for 5:30pm PST ... lets hope traffic isn't too garbage.

Okay,

1. me
2. frostburn
3. frostburn buddy
4. hyun sai
5. schwagger

When do you want to do this? I'm online right now.

Jaaz, since you already have a group of 3 I left you out, easier for you to get someone else in anyway. If you'd like I will run with you as well, depending on when this gets going.

The chances of getting a legendary engram that happens to be a chest which also happens to turn into praxic fire is slim to none. Yet it happens to everyone but me.

Come on Todd, you know how this works. The moment you convince yourself you don't want it anymore, you will get it.

SkylineRKR

Well they probably checked when your last "fun" drop was and decided you didn't need another fun drop right then and there. It's super well paced, you'll always get the exotic you need eventually you just need to keep playing. Hell those coins are like a guaranteed exotic, you just need three more NF coin drops to get an exotic from Xur. That's a pretty great system tbh. It's especially great if you're playing with friends and they get cool stuff and you get shards, energy or coins because you can tease your friends about how awesome your loot is. It's super social because you feel left out and the only way to get back in is to run the nightfall again next week if you're lucky you might get some ascendant shards. Those are super useful, you can level up armour you won't be wearing in pve for much longer with those.

I'm in for a treat then. I got Ice Breaker last week, which I even had equipped.

Shards, yeah well.. I am drowning in them and I've maxed all Exotic Hunter helms in existence, at 36. Also maxed Alpha Lupi again.

The Eris trading system is a step in the right direction, though by that time you are level 32 already. But you can at least swap shards for Energies (which I think most are going to have to do by the time they're level 4 with Eris).

But Coins and Ascendant should be removed from the Nightfall loot pool (at least for 31+). You can get enough without them. Shards should also be Rare again, not Legendary.

Dave_6

Ok heading home shortly for the Hard VoG Raid, looks like the final roster is as follows unless I missed someone earlier in the thread.

1. Qwell
2. DaveS78
3. Coconut (PSN: KrugerrandMan)
4. EroticSushi
5. Thesoremaker
6. Hawkian (assuming da_hated_1 did get his group up and running)

and I assume we are for 5:30pm PST ... lets hope traffic isn't too garbage.

Yep I'm still in. Will give me time to get home and get something to eat first.

Hyun Sai

Okay,

1. me
2. frostburn
3. frostburn buddy
4. hyun sai
5. schwagger

Jaaz, since you already have a group of 3 I left you out, easier for you to get someone else in anyway. If you'd like I will run with you as well, depending on when this gets going.

I'm available all night, so whenever you guys are ready.

PSN : Hyunsai

Bogeypop

ffinally back online, sheesh.

TTJMWMd.jpg

Any Nightfall. Weeklies, or Raids going on shortly after the weekly reset?

spyder_ur

Okay,

1. me
2. frostburn
3. frostburn buddy
4. hyun sai
5. schwagger

I'm available all night, so whenever you guys are ready.

PSN : Hyunsai

Likewise I should be around most of the night - would prefer to start in the next hour or so. Just need 5-10 minutes after we finalize to gear up.

Dwalls

Neo Member
I'm in for a treat then. I got Ice Breaker last week, which I even had equipped.

Shards, yeah well.. I am drowning in them and I've maxed all Exotic Hunter helms in existence, at 36. Also maxed Alpha Lupi again.

The Eris trading system is a step in the right direction, though by that time you are level 32 already. But you can at least swap shards for Energies (which I think most are going to have to do by the time they're level 4 with Eris).

But Coins and Ascendant should be removed from the Nightfall loot pool (at least for 31+). You can get enough without them. Shards should also be Rare again, not Legendary.

So you got an exotic shard last week, that's like 7 coins. That's pretty good loot honestly, now you can upgrade an exotic you have stashed in your vault. You just need a little bit of glimmer. Xur will bring something for you this friday, trust me, he's not random they look at what the community really wants and make him bring something that can change the communities mind about what they want. Really the drops from the nightfall etc are just icing on the cake, your main goal every 2 weeks should be to get a commendation and enough marks to buy yourself the gear you need. Everything else is just extra and you don't need it, which is why it isn't dropping.

Top Bottom