• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

phen0m24

giphy.gif

Looks at my raid group...

Twilight is stealing my lines.

:p

Hey Drizzay how long will you be holding the checkpoint? My fiancee is on our X1 so I can't hop on right now to snatch it.

I'm not actually playing now so I'm happy to chill here for a while longer if people will still be able to use it. Already seen... maybe 5 exotics drop from it? Including THE exotic.

Qwell

Well I tried to solo a nightfall on my lunch but died so I went and did the first Crota chest instead on my characters.
- energies
- shards (yah, closer to lvl 32 on my lock)
- shards
- exotic !!!..1.1..!..... no land beyond .. DAMNIT CHLOE!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hopefully the proceeds will go towards them hiring a story team for destiny 2.
You can bet your ass story is getting A LOT of attention the second go around.
Unfortunately, especially in the wake of The Dark Below, Bungie's metrics are probably telling them that it isn't worth investing significantly in story development, despite its universally poor reception.

That's not to say they won't make improvements; it was a heavily targeted element in every critical review and they're obviously not ignoring that. Consider the "improvements" they made to the "storytelling" with TDB in comparison to the base game. Not exactly confidence-inspiring, right? Internally, the watchword is probably something like "no matter how much these guys talk about story, it's other things that keep them playing our game and we need to stick with what works."

I have zero expectations, basically, for the storyline in any game in the Destiny franchise.

Now, let me take a step back here and mention that I didn't find anything particularly compelling story-wise in any of the Halo games, which I know a lot of people feel differently about. Reach had some legitimate pathos (and one of the cooler ending sequences I've seen), but for the most part didn't really earn it- it just benefited from the looming sense of inevitability that series fans would have from the get-go. Other than that, none of the plots of any of the games really impressed me at all, and I say that as a big fan of the Arbiter. :p All in all, Bungie isn't a dev I think of as having a history of strong narrative.

So I should say, it's very possible for Destiny 2 to retool its story elements to the point where it resembles a Halo narrative arc, replete with similarly-styled cutscenes and improvements to voice acting and characterization, but that still wouldn't really do anything for me.

the next one if Hard Raid still isnt out and there are no newsworthy items out of bungie and we hit OT14 before friday. but if Bungie plays their cards right they may be able to ride this wave until early this summer
I say no waaay! If we hit OT14 before Friday and make this the first one-Xur thread in god knows how many, you're saying that makes it more likely 14 will slow down to span 3 or more visits? This would be its window:
8f2qsGZ.jpg

All the way to the 15th, so still two Tuesday resets, two Thursday updates. Three groups of Christmas KinderGuardians will be hitting certain thresholds within this window depending on intensity of play (those hitting 20, looking for progression advice; those hitting 25-27, looking for their first VoG runs; those hitting 29-30, looking for Hard VoG/Crota). Lots of people (including myself) may be taking this Friday off so it could be extra active to start. I think even without any unexpected announcements, news, patches hitting or Lizards, it could still manage. It would have somewhere around an extra week to get to 200 pages.

I think the more likely way would be that we don't hit OT14 by Friday and thus the new OT would come in the middle of a Xur visit, which I'm pretty sure has not happened before since the dropoff, and then that would have to count for both I guess... so 14 could see 3 Xurs by starting in the middle of this one and the lasting to the reset on the 16th, which while it would still be a pretty considerable slowdown, seems more possible.

But hell, it's Tuesday afternoon and we have less than 4900 posts to go. Nami alone can probably get us there by 4:00AM Friday.

Mattiator

Whaaaat... amazing. I got my 3rd IceB from hard Atheon yesterday.

Anybody else feel like exotic drops in VoG are increased, especially at Atheon? Over the last 4 kills, I've seen more than a third of the drops contain an exotic (9 out of 24 loot drops). Got 4th and 5th Vex over those runs too, I really feel like they've changed it. Probably just a stupid small sample size aberration like everything else, but still encouraging for #forevernovex I think.

Yup finally something I wanted which was awesome :) awesome I will have to take some trips back to atheon.

I'm not actually playing now so I'm happy to chill here for a while longer if people will still be able to use it. Already seen... maybe 5 exotics drop from it? Including THE exotic.

Thanks I might just try to hop on and get the checkpoint if you will just be sitting there

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whaaaat... amazing. I got my 3rd IceB from hard Atheon yesterday.

Anybody else feel like exotic drops in VoG are increased, especially at Atheon? Over the last 4 kills, I've seen more than a third of the drops contain an exotic (9 out of 24 loot drops). Got 4th and 5th Vex over those runs too, I really feel like they've changed it. Probably just a stupid small sample size aberration like everything else, but still encouraging for #forevernovex I think.
I can tell you that my Monte Carlo pocket-magnet is still working just fine at least

Hung Wei Lo

"a while longer" wouldn't happen to mean like 2 hours (when I get home from work) would it? <3

LordofPwn

I say no waaay! If we hit OT14 before Friday and make this the first one-Xur thread in god knows how many, you're saying that makes it more likely 14 will slow down to span 3 or more visits? This would be its window:
8f2qsGZ.jpg

All the way to the 15th, so still two Tuesday resets, two Thursday updates. Three groups of Christmas KinderGuardians will be hitting certain thresholds within this window depending on intensity of play (those hitting 20, looking for progression advice; those hitting 25-27, looking for their first VoG runs; those hitting 29-30, looking for Hard VoG/Crota). Lots of people (including myself) may be taking this Friday off so it could be extra active to start. I think even without any unexpected announcements, news, patches hitting or Lizards, it could still manage. It would have somewhere around an extra week to get to 200 pages.

I think the more likely way would be that we don't hit OT14 by Friday and thus the new OT would come in the middle of a Xur visit, which I'm pretty sure has not happened before since the dropoff, and then that would have to count for both I guess... so 14 could see 3 Xurs by starting in the middle of this one and the lasting to the reset on the 16th, which while it would still be a pretty considerable slowdown, seems more possible.

But hell, it's Tuesday afternoon and we have less than 4900 posts to go. Nami alone can probably get us there by 4:00AM Friday.
i'm just saying if it's to happen anytime soon it's going to happen after a 1 xur visit OT, that way things balance out. this OT got a big boost from like 2-3 days of bad PSN.

Homeboyd

They still haven't fixed boots with the heavy ammo perk eating heavy ammo on death, I wouldn't hold my breath.
That bug is different from most I believe based on what they've said about it. This one could be a simple fix. Maybe, maybe not.

Just want them to be aware.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why is it so coveted?
Essentially, if you're not looking for Fatebringer or Praetorian Foil, starting from the Gorgon checkpoint gets you two shots at Exotics (the first Gorgon chest, and Atheon) along with the other chest for ass mats and the Gatekeeper loot drop (which can include Praedyth's Timepiece and the other normal mode weapons).

edit: Without having to wait through the confluxes/Oracles/Templar obviously

Top Bottom