• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

A_Gorilla

Banned
Alright so I'm at the bridge part of the Crota Rid and need some more people for it. We can also just start over if you want (I solo'd the first part. PS4 natch.

1.) El_Bombastico

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)

Geneijin

Destiny is a "shared world shooter" or stealth mini-MMO without a subscription fee. Instead of a sub fee they are having regular DLC expansion things. If you want to play all the content for the high level rewards every single week forever they expect you to buy the Expansions. Otherwise some times you will miss out on Nightfalls, weeklies, and dailies, and you lose the cryptsrch engram rewards from the strike playlists and you can't buy Expansion content from Xur. The game requires a lot of money and people working very hard and supporting their families in order to regularly maintain. I am OK with this type of game model and I actually like it better than the sub-fee model. It would have been better if they had communicated how things were going to work sooner though.
I would be okay with all this if it didn't feel like I was paying for the privilege of continuing to play a game I once had access to. Instead of increasing rewards, they put rewards behind a paywall. That's not really rewarding but stingy. And they expect me to recommend this game to people for $80 just to play it?

ERMint13

How much do the armor stats improve progress of supers, grenades, and melee? How much faster does 100% intellect build my super vs 0%?

Crota keeps giving me strength gear....ugh.

How do you solo the first part when you get to the last lamp and the bridge is building? One person can't take out all those knights and ogres before getting killed...

matmanx1

Popped a TFWPKY 1969 from a Crucible package with Zen Moment, Luck in the Chamber and Field Scout - seems pretty solid. Any reviews on this yet? Been looking for a legendary 331 hand cannon - the Venation was not the answer.

Yeah, that's a pretty darn good one. Zen Moment is excellent and Luck in the Chamber is a nice damage bonus. I would be very happy with that gun.

An easy fix would be to finally make the Weekly Heroic and the Nightfall different strikes. So when the Nightfall is dlc, the weekly is non-dlc, and when the weekly is dlc, the nightfall is guaranteed to be non-dlc.

Doesn't fix anything, vanilla players still getting robbed of nightfalls and weeklies, just on different weeks.

How do you solo the first part when you get to the last lamp and the bridge is building? One person can't take out all those knights and ogres before getting killed...

There is a rock you can jump on that makes thralls ignore you, no knights come, only need kill a single ogre.

I'm not sure what the odds are, but I would be totally okay with Destiny 2 just being a full blown expansion. I mean, I like the areas I'm playing in now, and I would much rather have 8 areas total (4 old and 4 new) than only 4 brand new areas. They've said we'll be keeping our characters across games, which I love. I just don't want a sequel to remove more content from me than I feel like I'm gaining..

I feel like this also applies to things like the level cap/max damage. Seems to make the most sense to pattern Destiny sequels more explicitly off of MMOs like WoW and just keep raising the cap.

Otherwise we would keep our same characters but ... what? They would drop back to level 1? I don't know how they'd do it. New players for Destiny 2 could start at the last level cap or w/e. I know new WoW players can skip to Lv90 because a commercial told me.

Get your weight down as low as possible and jump on those rocks or those weird metal fins that poke up near the start of the bridge. Thralls and knights can't touch you. Watch for the ogre and snipe him at distance. Then wait.

Somebody really likes Dragon's Breath
whyPic-300x191.jpg

*gag*

Looks bad on that car.

mcfizzle4

There is a rock near the last lamp you can jump on to after the lamp has exploded. The only thing that can kill you there is the Ogres who will walk up near the second to last lamp. Kill them and wait out the bridge forming and you are good.

Dunk#7

I would be okay with all this if it didn't feel like I was paying for the privilege of continuing to play a game I once had access to. Instead of increasing rewards, they put rewards behind a paywall. That's not really rewarding but stingy. And they expect me to recommend this game to people for $80 just to play it?

Isn't there a free demo up to a certain level cap?

Also, you can still play everything you used to play like the VoG. The original rewards are still there for new players. One out of every 7 weeks you may not be able to do the weekly events. Big deal

Not sure, need to go watch some of the videos. I'd posted before about trying some CE speed runs and I saved the list of interested people, just need to do some more research and then find some time for people to get together.

How much do the armor stats improve progress of supers, grenades, and melee? How much faster does 100% intellect build my super vs 0%?

Crota keeps giving me strength gear....ugh.

I would also like to know/have the same problem. Like a fool, I started putting shards into the first raid gear I had. I was still able to hit Lv32 but my Warlock strength is off the charts. My only hope is to make some wacky build with Claws of Ahmamama and Monte Carlo.

*gag*

Looks bad on that car.

lol, my exact reaction. Also, I like that your picture was from a "do it yourself, rent to own" website.

Cruxist

Ran double Crota and double Nightfall last night.

Got the raid helm for my titan and the chest for my hunter. Nightfall gave me a crappy sniper and 9 strange coins.

I cannot wait to get my warlock up to speed so he can also run this stuff. I'm just having the worst luck from Roc strikes. Today I shifted over to working on Eris stuff so I can get the arms from her.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You guys say don't take the hive disruptor in the Black Hammer because it conflicts with the precision kill perk?

I only need four more shards for 32 with my Titan and I could get that in one run with my Hunter.

Da_Bears

Neo Member
Not sure what level you are, but definitely do the NF/Weekly whenever possible. You are missing out on 999 rep, tons of marks, and your best chance per week at landing a really good exotic weapon or armor (admittedly you are more likely to get strange coins or ass mats from NF). The NF gives a 25% increase to all your rep and XP gains for the week, it makes a big difference (not positive about the exact percentage, but that's close).

Level 31. Store bought gear for the most part. Exotic bounties. Thunderlord from the first Crota chest. Been playing since day one and really just got comfortable enough to jump in when someone says they are doing NF or other things. Great group of people on here, I just have a hard time being social and asking for help with things.

Geneijin

Also, you can still play everything you used to play like the VoG. The original rewards are still there for new players. One out of every 7 weeks you may not be able to do the weekly events. Big deal
In case you haven't noticed, how many times have we gotten The Will of Crota strike in the past 4 weeks? Twice.

The game is already unrewarding as it is. Why remove one of the main avenues of that? The Nightfall rewards are the same as before. You can still get Legendary Engrams, a few Strange Coins, excessive amounts of Ascendant Materials, etc. They giving people less things to do because they're pushing the DLC way too hard instead of increasing things to do for older players.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Totally agree with these points. Now, we don't really know if those DLC are going to be released frequently or not, I'm expecting to see House of Wolves in February-March (although the latter would probably be a bad time for releasing it due to how cramped that month is), but after that we don't know if there are more expansions or not.

What I am expecting, if they do go forth with the "expansion" model, is to see the enemies of the Tower getting a DLC of their own, just like the Hive did with TDB with Eris, and the Fallen are getting with HoW with the Awoken Queen. We still have the Vex and the Cabal as well, we still haven't seen anything else from the Stranger, so one of those two expansions could have her as some kind of vendor I guess and some new character that we haven't seen yet.

At the end of the year, we get the so called "Comet" and that brings us more content, possibly new areas (Saturn, Mercury, Reef), and possibly an overhaul to everything, that will gear us up for Destiny 2 in 2016.

What is disgusting about this model, beyond the fact that it is forcing people to buy DLC in order to keep up, is that it only highlights the lack of content.

I'm tired of playing the same two missions every other day. THE SAME TWO MISSIONS.

The fact that they had Omnigul, one of the worst strikes in the game (in a game full of terribly designed strikes), repeat less than a month after the DLC launched is an insulting reminder than I paid 20 dollars for this thing.

Is this how they're going to handle the next DLC? Force you to play the same two new story missions over and over again and do the same strike twice a month? Why would you want to remind me that this DLC is about as worthwhile as Oblivion's horse armor?

2 out of the last 4 weeks you couldn't do weekly stuff. In terms of "things that matter in Destiny," being able to do the NF and weekly is a big deal. Why are the only people defending it also the people who don't have a firm grasp of what it entails?

Haha thanks! RNGesus promoted me to Horn club last night :D

Daaaammn, congrats! I was hoping that was the reason for the change. Where did you get it? It would be especially apropos if it was a NF drop, lol.

2 of last 4 nightfalls have been expansion only. Dailies are frequently expansion only. ROC playlist is not accessible to non expansion owners. That would be ok if the ROC playlist was not the replacement for the tiger playlist

2 out of the last 4 weeks you couldn't do weekly stuff. In terms of "things that matter in Destiny," being able to do the NF and weekly is a big deal. Why are the only people defending it also the people who don't have a firm grasp of what it entails.

For me it's simple. People paid money for your game. You don't take content away from them. Period.

SkylineRKR

Yes he can. Sit on the rock near the lamp (to the right of it, from where you approach). No enemy can hit you except for the Ogre but you'll need a Homing rocket launcher or a good Sniper aim to take them out before they engage you. I one shot them with Uber Horn. Sometimes there is only 1 Ogre.

I did it here, but its one of my worst runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-5urEHJ3wk

A Horn shot goes AWOL, I forgot that the lamp explodes.. etc.. lol.

LordofPwn

Not sure, need to go watch some of the videos. I'd posted before about trying some CE speed runs and I saved the list of interested people, just need to do some more research and then find some time for people to get together.

I'm up for speed run as soon as i hit 32 (need 8-10 more shards and i still have 3 chests and 1 crota left to get)
maybe 6 chests if todd will spill the beans

Level 31. Store bought gear for the most part. Exotic bounties. Thunderlord from the first Crota chest. Been playing since day one and really just got comfortable enough to jump in when someone says they are doing NF or other things. Great group of people on here, I just have a hard time being social and asking for help with things.

Yeah, that's cool. There are a lot of nice people around here, myself
usually
included. Most people are PS4, but please feel free to ask around for help. My PSN is DrDrizzay101 if you ever want to run VoG or anything.

Edit: Also, you don't have to use a mic as long as you can listen to the voice comms. This is true in my groups for any content in the game, including both raids. I understand not everyone is comfortable talking to internet strangers, haha.

Some great suggestions there, but I'm still voting for |OT14| Return It.

Yeah, a lot of good ones, but I will throw my +1 in support of yours.

todd360

I'm up for speed run as soon as i hit 32 (need 8-10 more shards and i still have 3 chests and 1 crota left to get)
maybe 6 chests if todd will spill the beans

I got home from work early. I'm gonna look into it soon. I'm really expecting this to be false info though. Fingers crossed its legit

Dunk#7

I got home from work early. I'm gonna look into it soon. I'm really expecting this to be false info though. Fingers crossed its legit

Wait I missed it. Are there some new chests people haven't known about before.

CE seems too straightforward. There has to be something hidden somewhere

Da_Bears

Neo Member
If you admittedly haven't played the content that people are upset about and don't understand why, then I don't know why you're calling people out for being mad.

Apologies if it came across that way, but I really did not understand why people would get mad about it. I did not intend it to come across as calling people out. I would agree that with them putting it back in the rotation so quickly is rather unfair to others who have not bought the DLC yet.

Top Bottom