• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
lol she souns drunk like me
There a Drunk Destiny Fireteam right now? I accidentally drunk too many beers. It wasn't a good idea but I'm sleepy but I don't feel like going to sleep. Drunk Raid anyone?

EDIT : FUuuuuuuuu. Top of the page...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Three Eris bounties!!!

Edit: Husk of the Pit!!!

Lwk2XKQ.jpg

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
GB nailed it. This is exactly what I feel about Destiny.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giancarlo-varanini-s-top-10-games-of-2014/1100-5136/

Destiny is a mess of a game, and I can't get enough of it. I suppose that says more about what it does right than it does wrong because Bungie nailed the most important part of any game, its foundation.

This might sound a little weird, but I haven't felt this satisfied firing weapons in a first-person shooter since GoldenEye for the Nintendo 64. There's just something about the speed of the weapons, their animations, and the damage they cause that makes even the most mundane tasks (like farming materials) bearable and the most intense moments that much more entertaining. And despite the fact that they share the same arsenal, the three classes are different enough to offer an experience that scratches a variety of play style itches. It helps that some of the respective class armor sets look totally sick, too.

In fact, the overall look Destiny is another big draw for me. Bungie created a fantastic (albeit weirdly anachronistic at times) science-fiction universe that comes to life in wonderfully detailed environments, weapons, and enemies. A single exotic weapon in Destiny has a grand story about why it exists based only on the way it looks (it's just too bad the game doesn't take time to tell it.) Look at the amount of attention paid to two of Destiny's more popular exotic weapons, the Gjallarhorn rocket launcher and the Suros Regime auto rifle. These two weapons contain a ton of details that have absolutely no bearing on function, but these and other equally detailed parts of Destiny reveal an immense labor of love and desire to construct a world that you want to learn more about.

Everything else in Destiny serves function over form, and there are simply too many functions that exist to prolong the value of a relatively small amount of useful gear and to preserve the utility of retreading familiar environments. In other words, Destiny just doesn't have enough stuff and the stuff that's there is being stretched beyond its limits to the point that it continually feels like the whole thing could snap at any minute, like an overworked piece of dough.

Still, I played a lot. I still play it a lot. Destiny delivered some of the most memorable moments in my 30 plus years of playing games. It got me to play competitive multiplayer for a week. It reunited me with friends that I haven't spoken to in years. It created a sense of community and atmosphere that very much harkens back to an era of gaming where I played a single game for months, dissecting every last bit of it and discovering secrets and strategies I wanted to share with friends the next day.

Gamespot nailed it. This is exactly what I feel about Destiny.

When you say Gamespot you mean Giancarlo Varinnini because Gamespot official probably doesn't think that about the game. It's the same way Brad at Giantbomb is the only person on the staff that cares about the game that way.

Lima

good read and i agree.

I agree too. Even if it sounds crazy sometimes I am glad that the game doesn't have more content. I already play the game far too much as is and if they had something of the scope of say a WoW or maybe a Mass Effect universe scale I would completely lose myself in this game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
When you say Gamespot you mean Giancarlo Varinnini because Gamespot official probably doesn't think that about the game. It's the same way Brad at Giantbomb is the only person on the staff that cares about the game that way.
I guess since it was published on GB, edited it to GB.

I think he put GB for "Giantbomb" as this was posted on their site. But, I think that it is a testament to how hard Destiny hits for those who do love it that Brad was able to get Destiny on Giantbomb's official top ten list. Alex was a tougher fight than Crota^^

I can agree mostly but the question of where I'll be when a sequel comes - or even more DLC - still remains to be seen; I've enjoyed what I have but I've already paid for it, there's far too many things wrong to be there day one next time.

Hmmmm. True. There have been sequels that fail to address feedback (Assassin's Creed 3?), but most sequels fix and improve at least most common complaints. I have faith in Bungie's ability to correct course in Destiny 2 and give us that generation defining game, but two to three years is a long way off and they need to start trying out their ideas for improvement and growth in these future DLCs. Not enough turn around time for Dark Below and House of Wolves, but there will be more DLC by September 2015 and they need to show us that they heard and are on the right track for Destiny 2. They have a hell of a large audience for a new IP (largest yet in the industry), but now is time to keep us and make it grow^^

Nuszka

Just checking, but did bungie not mention in the last weekly update that we will receive a gift of some sorts from the cryptarch between Christmas and New Years timeframe? Enlighten me guardians.

I agree too. Even if it sounds crazy sometimes I am glad that the game doesn't have more content. I already play the game far too much as is and if they had something of the scope of say a WoW or maybe a Mass Effect universe scale I would completely lose myself in this game.

That makes no sense. I would rather have more content. Doing the same shit over and over is far from ideal

I agree somewhat with Gianluca but the gameplay got old for me a while back. For me new weapons, especially exotics kept the game fresh for me. Since I have every weapon from the base game and non of the DLC exotics interest me the gameplay has gotten old. What's kept me going is the great people I've met playing the game. The community has been great.

SonComet

I can agree mostly but the question of where I'll be when a sequel comes - or even more DLC - still remains to be seen; I've enjoyed what I have but I've already paid for it, there's far too many things wrong to be there day one next time.
I agree completely. I already paid upfront for the dark below and house of wolves so I'll play them both. But I feel like I'm going to quit this game sooner rather than later. I just feel like my time investment into the vanilla game was disrespected. In addition, the new raid is far less fun to do than the old raid. I've already upgraded every exotic I could want. I just need boots from CE to hit 32. But CE is less fun than the VoG. So I find myself asking, what's the point?

IMHO, they should not have raised the level cap until Destiny 2. There is so little content that it was a huge mistake. All weapons except the mythoclast and necrochasm should be limited to 300 damage. Both raids limited to level 30. CE raid armor and weapons should have just provided great benefits in that raid to make them desirable. That would be reason enough for me to do the new raid. That would allow people to have a bigger variety of top tier weapons and more interesting combos of top tier armor. Imagine VoG, CE, HoW and IB armor and weapons all allowing level 30 and fantastic and unique builds. Every DLC expansion on destiny 1 should have allowed more ways to hit 30 and more content for level 30s to experience. We would have had many more unique item combos, multiple raids to do every week, etc. Instead we have more limited end game content than ever (CE is so much shorter than VoG) and new destiny owners only have a raid that gives lower level items than tower vendors'. I just think it would be so much better if new content were additional rather than a worse replacement for what we had.

Sorry for my drunken New Years rant. But I feel like this game got smaller when it should have expanded.

kidko

I just hit 150 crucible marks, went shopping at all the vendors, then realized that I don't really want any of the offerings. None of the handguns compare to fatebringer, none of the scouts compare to VoC, and none of the special or heavy compare to what I already have either... damn, well i guess I'll just sit on em for now...

Hyun Sai

I just hit 150 crucible marks, went shopping at all the vendors, then realized that I don't really want any of the offerings. None of the handguns compare to fatebringer, none of the scouts compare to VoC, and none of the special or heavy compare to what I already have either... damn, well i guess I'll just sit on em for now...

At least you don't have to worry about farming mats ^^.

Buy the Saterinne Rapier (however you spell it), scout rifle that has the same perks as Fatebringer. I'm saving up for it myself but all reports are that it is pretty groovy.

Got home not long ago with the wife and kids, had to wake them for the ride home.

I am awake doing bounties and ready for the double bounty trick!

God damnit! The second day in a row where I fucking passed out while trying to do the double bounty trick.

Fuck it. I'm done trying.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Happy New Years to everyone.

I think I spent more time with this game than every single game I played in the last five years combined. Playing FFXIII actually made me quit gaming for a while. That's how bad it is.

Happy New Years to everyone.

I think I spent more time with this game than every single game I played in the last five years combined. Playing FFXIII actually made me quit gaming for a while. That's how bad it is.

I took a look at the app the other day and at 177 hours I have now played more Destiny than every JRPG (my favorite genre) I played on the PS3 combined. Something about this game really speaks to me...

void666

Banned
My most played game is battlefield 3 with 677 hours since launch.

According to the destiny app i have 629 hours of playtime.

Damn...

Chromax

I just started this game after not being able to get to it for a few month. Made a character at first but wasn't really happy with it so I didn't take anything from the postmaster. (which had some CE items and something from Dark Below)

After making a new character and deleting the old one, it seems the mailbox is tied to character instead of account and everything is gone. I did find 2 emblems, a purple aircraft and a purple Ghost shell in the special shop, but w/e else and the Dark Below things are gone.

Did I miss anything important?

Quick question. When does flawless raid start? Before the sync plates or after you load into darkness zone?

Everything I've heard says that sync plate deaths do not count, only once darkness zone hits... but I sure as hell wouldn't risk it if I were you. Nobody should really be dying there anyway and it takes 2 minutes to go to orbit and come back. With the Templar glitches that have been popping up added onto the baseline difficulty of the achievement itself, there's no reason to take even a tiny chance on it.

After hitting rank 4 of Eris, it's made me all the more aware of how shitty her bounties were mostly. I still check to see what she has for general XP but the amount I pass up on is a good proportion of whats on offer.

I'll be level 32 in 2 more raids (weeks essentially) as I've 4 more nodes to upgrade on my armour. So close yet so far away still, but at least it's a guarantee, rather than waiting forever and a day to get the armour from VoG.

In fact, if I was still waiting for the game to throw me a bone (the VoG Raid helm), I would have only hit level 30 this week (and I got 2 of them at the same time to add any insult to injury).

Also I think I'm done doing the VoG now until Bungie decide they're not going to throw multiples or mostly random drops and fix it to how the CE raid works. I'm only after Fatebringer really and perhaps the Raid Pulse Rifle (just for collectors).

It would be nice though if Bungie changed the AssMats you get from doing the Dark Below Daily to the RadMats instead. AssMats are practically useless now, well getting more are anyways.

TheOddOne

I wish there were more events like Iron Banner. The events don’t have to be exclusive to only Crucible though. Just vendors that pop up with quests or missions to do within a timeframe and dole out rewards.

Feorax

I wish there were more events like Iron Banner. The events don’t have to be exclusive to only Crucible though. Just vendors that pop up with quests or missions to do within a timeframe and dole out rewards.

Surely there's another Queens Wrath event due soon?

Surely there's another Queens Wrath event due soon?

Last thing I heard official from Bungie was that it was "going back into the shop" in order to completely re-do it since it sucked so bad the first time. No time frame given for its (I assume) eventual return. I'm sure they want to have a complimentary PvE event along with IBanner.

shem935

Banned
Last thing I heard official from Bungie was that it was "going back into the shop" in order to completely re-do it since it sucked so bad the first time. No time frame given for its (I assume) eventual return. I'm sure they want to have a complimentary PvE event along with IBanner.

What was bad about it the last time? I remember actually liking it because the chest and helmet actually got me to 28 which got me into the VOG.

Top Bottom