• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Shito

How about weapon shaders? How about a shader creator? These things feel like they would be super easy, and are probably already built out for the developers.
As a game developer, if my producer would come to me with that kind of sentence, I would give her my best "come on, you should know better" grin.
Not saying these shouldn't exist, just that they are far from being "super easy". Weapon shaders would have to be specified from the start, otherwise you are looking at redoing ALL the weapons to make them able to receive Destiny's shaders system. And that's not talking about the textures / performance hit that would come with it.
It's totally doable, but it is no "easy" task at all. ^^

As a game developer, if my producer would come to me with that kind of sentence, I would give her my best "come on, you should know better" grin.
Not saying these shouldn't exist, just that they are far from being "super easy". Weapon shaders would have to be specified from the start, otherwise you are looking at redoing ALL the weapons to make them able to receive Destiny's shaders system. And that's not talking about the textures / performance hit that would come with it.

I think I remember something about weapon shaders in the alpha or beta.

cilonen

Ooooh
My Art of Destiny finally arrived! I know what I'll be doing for the next two hours.

There is a really interesting picture in there of the mission director and some kind of mocked up 'completion log' showing a hell of a lot of stuff that we don't currently have.

Whether that was an original concept that has been ditched or not it does give hope for the way they want to fill out this world.

Zocano

That happens in games like MMOs because you don't have a finite end, but rather the game builds upon itself.

The Vault of Glass wasn't going to be the permanent end of the game, but will just become one raid among many.

Yes, but that kind of doesn't address my point.

First, raid content exists but is irrelevant to newcomers who purchase the content all at once. Like new WoW players, they will never have to or never need to see old raids and go through that progression. This is partly a problem.

Second, and the other problem, is that old VoG weapons aren't relevant at all with the exception of Vex and maybe fatebringer. They should be the gear people want and need to bring in to CE. But instead you just buy 331 weapons and move merrily along. CE armor should be the most optimal armor to start in House of Wolves.

Namikaze1

My post count killed LiK. It's coming for fig next! D:

B6RMfreIMAIjmFV.png:orig

Shito

Yes, but that kind of doesn't address my point.

First, raid content exists but is irrelevant to newcomers who purchase the content all at once. Like new WoW players, they will never have to or never need to see old raids and go through that progression. This is partly a problem.

Second, and the other problem, is that old VoG weapons aren't relevant at all with the exception of Vex and maybe fatebringer. They should be the gear people want and need to bring in to CE. But instead you just buy 331 weapons and move merrily along. CE armor should be the most optimal armor to start in House of Wolves.
The problem with that is that you can't force people to do raids to progress in the game. It's ok for the latest raid to hold the gear for the cap level, but you can't expect newcomers in a year or so to find a group of 5 other new players to help them get through 2 or more raids first in order to then be able to enjoy the endgame.
Raids are not intended to be mandatory, and that is a *good* thing.

I'm assuming they have been. Just look at the lego system they are using to build up each weapon and ship, and look at how a lot of the ships are exactly the same, just in a different color. I can't imagine changing the color would effect performance. I may be totally off base, but I picture a dev spending about 10 minutes "building" a new weapon and 8 of those he's trying to come up with a cool name.

Zocano

Raids are not intended to be mandatory, and that is a *good* thing.

I don't see why not. At end game the content is the raid. So make players do the raids.

I get your point that late late newcomers will have trouble finding players though. FF14 and such have all the infrastructure they need to solve that but Destiny is a mess about it.

phen0m24

It would be stellar if they allowed exotic armors to match shaders. Ruin Wings for example. Or that awful Glasshouse helmet. It's... seafoam green! Egads.

Would love more choices.

1) What if you beat Crota and the screen said something akin to:

CHOOSE YOUR REWARD, GUARDIAN

Shards OR energies
Smart weapon selection based on what's equipped (Black Hammer or Hunger of Crota)
Ship or shader
Exotic drops still RNG

2) Legendary engrams. If you have one character in the game, you shouldn't be getting RNG gear for another character. An as rare as legendary engrams are, they should be good for RADIANT shards or energies. There are only 3 chests in CE and 3 drops. We went from hating getting shards in VoG to SHARDSOHMYGOSHFINALLYICANHIT32.

3) The poor lonely gunsmith. He got replaced once you could buy Heavy Ammo packs from Xur. Couldn't he offer cool upgrades or missions apart from the trite bounty ones?
What if you could "earn" gunsmith re-rolls on legendaries after completing specific tasks?
100 headshots in Crucible or 500 in PvE
Kill a boss using only that weapon - I don't know
He's crying out to be relevant.

4) Xur. Just leave him in the tower and change his inventory once a week at reset. Nothing worse than getting an exotic bounty and not being able to buy a part for 5 days. Give Xur a different role than playing RNG-Santa too. We already have a weapon "upgrade" program - why not a weapon "trade" program? How about you can trade a maxed-out exotic for a new one? One trade per week.

5) Hangar Area
Ship shaders. 'Nuff said. I'll pay to have my turd-brown ships repainted.
I'll also pay to have an UPGRADED MASSIVE VAULT INSTALLED ON MY SHIP(S). I could pay you in:
Glimmer
Black Wax Idols
Vanguard commendations
Ascendant shards
Ascendant energies
Motes
Coins
Old weapons that I never use

I've got other ideas:
Could the vendors ever offer sales? They apparently are in collusion right now. Make them fight for business. Xur laughs at all of them as his "line" is out the door.

Give the emblems from the speaker and Eva attributes. Why not?
With this emblem equipped you'll get a 10% boost to XP on each assist/kill/revive in Crucible.
This emblem puts your name in a pool to be matched up with high level players/BNG devs in PvP. (It's not fair to have level 5's in with 32's. It's just broken.) Like a mini-Iron Banner but just better consistently balanced competition.

I know all this stuff takes time, but you know, 10-year plan and such.

TL;DR: I have ideas.

Lima

Rumble for the new maps......only one map in the rotation which is Patheon....are you kidding me Bungie?

It's actually two maps as cauldron is in the rotation too but yeah it's dumb as hell. Why not mix the new maps with the old in that playlist? That would make too much sense I guess.

Shito

I don't see why not. At end game the content is the raid. So make players do the raids.

I get your point that late late newcomers will have trouble finding players though. FF14 and such have all the infrastructure they need to solve that but Destiny is a mess about it.
At end game, the content is the raid / daily / weekly / nightfall.
You can't expect people to go through several raids in succession to be able to access the weeklies and nightfalls. And more than that, you can't reduce your game to be attractive enough to people willing to play with / find 5 other people to enjoy it. That is why weeklies and nightfalls are here in the first place, as an alternative for people who can't / don't want to raid. Raids are here for the "hardcores", but you cannot only target this audience if you want to have a large player base.
I know I would have stopped playing Destiny if the DLC didn't allow me to level up without doing VoG.

There was. For both weapon and individual armor pieces.
Couldn't actually use it tho. It was locked.
Oh, didn't remember that!
Ok, so weapon shaders are probably still not "super easy", but probably easier than I first thought. :)

Greenymac

It would be stellar if they allowed exotic armors to match shaders. Ruin Wings for example. Or that awful Glasshouse helmet. It's... seafoam green! Egads.

Would love more choices.

1) What if you beat Crota and the screen said something akin to:

CHOOSE YOUR REWARD, GUARDIAN

Shards OR energies
Smart weapon selection based on what's equipped (Black Hammer or Hunger of Crota)
Ship or shader
Exotic drops still RNG

2) Legendary engrams. If you have one character in the game, you shouldn't be getting RNG gear for another character. An as rare as legendary engrams are, they should be good for RADIANT shards or energies. There are only 3 chests in CE and 3 drops. We went from hating getting shards in VoG to SHARDSOHMYGOSHFINALLYICANHIT32.

3) The poor lonely gunsmith. He got replaced once you could buy Heavy Ammo packs from Xur. Couldn't he offer cool upgrades or missions apart from the trite bounty ones?
What if you could "earn" gunsmith re-rolls on legendaries after completing specific tasks?
100 headshots in Crucible or 500 in PvE
Kill a boss using only that weapon - I don't know
He's crying out to be relevant.

4) Xur. Just leave him in the tower and change his inventory once a week at reset. Nothing worse than getting an exotic bounty and not being able to buy a part for 5 days. Give Xur a different role than playing RNG-Santa too. We already have a weapon "upgrade" program - why not a weapon "trade" program? How about you can trade a maxed-out exotic for a new one? One trade per week.

5) Hangar Area
Ship shaders. 'Nuff said. I'll pay to have my turd-brown ships repainted.
I'll also pay to have an UPGRADED MASSIVE VAULT INSTALLED ON MY SHIP(S). I could pay you in:
Glimmer
Black Wax Idols
Vanguard commendations
Ascendant shards
Ascendant energies
Motes
Coins
Old weapons that I never use

I've got other ideas:
Could the vendors ever offer sales? They apparently are in collusion right now. Make them fight for business. Xur laughs at all of them as his "line" is out the door.

Give the emblems from the speaker and Eva attributes. Why not?
With this emblem equipped you'll get a 10% boost to XP on each assist/kill/revive in Crucible.
This emblem puts your name in a pool to be matched up with high level players/BNG devs in PvP. (It's not fair to have level 5's in with 32's. It's just broken.) Like a mini-Iron Banner but just better consistently balanced competition.

I know all this stuff takes time, but you know, 10-year plan and such.

TL;DR: I have ideas.

Dude those are quality ideas. Well thought out. Id be in forvthis stuff. Outside of bounties, the tower is so empty. No REAL activity.

Top Bottom