• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

What was bad about it the last time? I remember actually liking it because the chest and helmet actually got me to 28 which got me into the VOG.

When it first released, you got ascendant shards for dismantling the Queen's legendary gear (duh, it's legendary). They quickly realized this was idiotic because people could get ~30-45 shards per day across 3 characters, at a time when they were the "radiant materials" and very hard to come by. I had to grind my ass off for ~75 to hit Lv30 by second week of VoG (lucky me).

So it became: do stupid bounty to get a mission token. Load up the mission, then quit to orbit and reload if it sucked. Among the selection of story missions, you could get the Black Garden or like the 1st mission in the game which took literally 2 minutes, so this was the fastest way. I finished 20+ of them and got 10+ each of the worthless helmet and chest, never got the sniper which was actually pretty great and could drop in any element type.

People who were less lucky/crazy probably did get some use from the gear, but it was even more boring than Eris bounties/Hive alarm clock.

Why Values Ta'aurc bounty is a 2.5k 50 rep bounty that takes 15-30 minutes depending on you team, and the first "boss" on the archive mission that you can solo in 4 minutes is the 5k 100 rep bounty boggles my mind.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Was this posted? Holy shit what a good replica of Thorn.

Nuifzzd.jpg

Namikaze1

Woke up. Threw up. Don't drink Hulkbuster and the Incredible Hulk back to back, kiddies. Will fuck you up.

PS4 looks like it's on standby mode. Gonna see if it works. The parking lot outside is a bit of a mess. Cups and beer cans everywhere. There's a small visible dent on my neighbor's car from last night. I can't imagine how pissed she is over that. Brand new car too. Not even a week old.

One more thing before I go and deal with this fucking headache. Fig, I want to apologize for that distasteful comment. You know the one. I'm truly sorry. My drunken mind didn't register how inappropriate it was.

Woke up. Threw up. Don't drink Hulkbuster and the Incredible Hulk back to back, kiddies. Will fuck you up.

PS4 looks like it's on standby mode. Gonna see if it works. The parking lot outside is a bit of a mess. Cups and beer cans everywhere. There's a small visible dent on my neighbor's car from last night. I can't imagine how pissed she is over that. Brand new car too. Not even a week old.

One more thing before I go and deal with this fucking headache. Fig, I want to apologize for that distasteful comment. You know the one. I'm truly sorry. My drunken mind didn't register how inappropriate it was.

It's all good. :)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What was bad about it the last time? I remember actually liking it because the chest and helmet actually got me to 28 which got me into the VOG.

You had to complete bounties to get yourself a token
That token can then be used to do a Queens Wrath mission, 1 chosen mission from each planet was thrown in and you had to complete it to get loot
There was I think 6 bounties per day, with 6 tokens achievable, 10 max tokens you can hold onto so netting you 6 rolls on loot daily.
Problem was the first day, you can double up the bounties by signing in/off and the loot that you earned went dismantled earned you ascendant materials

Players who caught onto this early racked up many Legendary pieces and broke them down for shards
Bungie quickly hotfixed it so you can get only class materials, cause giving players roughly 12-15 (daily) or 24-30 (double dip) ascendant shards so early would break the game
Most kept reusing their tokens until they got Earth mission (2nd mission) and just kept repeating it
So 3 players with tokens would go roll the missions till earth hit, 2 friends join, finish mission, repeat till token ran out, most would cap out on the 10+ token

So do bounties for rep, which led to token to do same missions with modifiers in place, that always netted you at least 1 Legendary item, which quickly became broken and got patched, then people just rolled for pieces their characters needed

Namikaze1

PS4 looks to be working. For now anyway. There's a small crack on the plastic cover though. Gonna have to buy a custom made one to replace it. Probably a Last of Us one.

I've gotten not one, but two Husks of the Pit today just from doing the usual shitty bounties. Already maxed one Eidon Ally. You would have to be a serious crazy to farm for this thing. Like 1,000 posts per OT crazy.

Every boss in the entire game has too much health.

But I get your point. Their main problem is that they're tanky and fast/small/agile. But I prefer it over Ta'urac any day.
I agree with you there. They provide something different then the normal grind boss walking leisurely down the ally.
But between having 3 bosses with high health plus other enemy's. I'd rather do a different strike.

Happy new year Destiny-gaf, hopefully 2015 will be a better year than the shitshow that 2014 was.

Anyway, I'm still level 29 cause i suck, should i try to find someone for the weekly nightfall or is it still too early for me?

Hmmmm. True. There have been sequels that fail to address feedback (Assassin's Creed 3?), but most sequels fix and improve at least most common complaints. I have faith in Bungie's ability to correct course in Destiny 2 and give us that generation defining game, but two to three years is a long way off and they need to start trying out their ideas for improvement and growth in these future DLCs. Not enough turn around time for Dark Below and House of Wolves, but there will be more DLC by September 2015 and they need to show us that they heard and are on the right track for Destiny 2. They have a hell of a large audience for a new IP (largest yet in the industry), but now is time to keep us and make it grow^^

I kind of sort of disagree. They could fix some of the major problems right now with a flick of the switch. They have shown with IB that they have the code to re-roll gear. Either they need to make legendary engrams much more prevalent, or they need to let us re-roll. I haven't rolled a purple that matches my play style in weeks. Fusion rifles with knee pads? GTFO! The best weapons in the game (VoG loot) have been left for dead to force us into using the shitty (and sparse) DLC gear.

How about weapon shaders? How about a shader creator? These things feel like they would be super easy, and are probably already built out for the developers. But with the current philosophy that an armor shader, or a ship that isn't brown is acceptable loot for beating the hardest content in the game...I doubt we'll see them soon. If we do see a weapon shader, it will be touted as more "content" and not something that should have been included in the vanilla game.

Sorry to start the new year with a negative post, just want to see the game live up to it's potential.

Zocano

They really shouldn't have put out 331 and light 31 equipment. This is something my friend really hates about mmo progression. This is the reason (mostly the reason) why him and I won't go back to FF14.

Basically newcomers will never have to go through VoG and our new toons won't either. The natural progression they could have been building is gone now. And it will be even weirder when House of Wolves comes out and they bump everything up to 33 or whatever. Which would reinstate progression from VoG to CE. Keeping this progression is super important for keeping content relevant from start to finish for new and old players. And all the while end game players feel like their work is shat upon because new players can immediately pass them in progression when expansions come out.

I know this is well worn territory but I hope they right their wrongs with House of Wolves.

FyreWulff

That happens in games like MMOs because you don't have a finite end, but rather the game builds upon itself.

The Vault of Glass wasn't going to be the permanent end of the game, but will just become one raid among many.

It's safe to assume as things go on, it'll end up like WoW and Everquest and other MMOs where expansions become the base 'box level' down the road and just the latest expansion remain as separate purchases.

None of the developers of these games want people to get stuff in the first months and then just let you sit on your gear and weapons for the rest of the game's run.

edit: it should be noted that the only Vault-exclusive exotic, Vex Mythoclast, got upgraded inline with the other exotics. We can probably assume Raid-specific exotic weapons will upgrade along with expansions.

Namikaze1

Yeah, the Namikaze1 that appears on there should be LiK since the 675 hasn't change with my new posts. Guys, I broke the system. My post count killed LiK. Fig, looks like you're next.

Top Bottom