• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Homeboyd

I have the LDR 5001. Should I just be happy with that and not worry saving for IB?
Do NOT listen to him. Get an ice breaker immediately if you don't have one. I use it more than any other exotic in the game by far. It's not even close. Get an ice breaker right now and never look back. You will regret it until he sells it again if you don't.

BUY IT RIGHT NOW.

I have the LDR 5001. Should I just be happy with that and not worry saving for IB?
IMO I would recommend getting IB if you dont have it already.
If you guys need help on weekly, nf, raid, whatever count me in. PSN: Raybunzy. I'll be on in 1hour +/- .
Think we will be running it tomorrow. But by all means if you guys can get it K.O today then go ahead. I dont need to do it, just helping out :)

realcZk

This is where I am with Ice Breaker. It's a great weapon and can be incredibly useful but it is also incredibly overemphasized.

i havent used it at all since i got the black hammer, but its definitely still nice to have
would i buy and waste materials and time to level 3 of them, especially when the next dlc is likely going to wreck my bum with more inane weapon grinding? nope, because i swap weapons anyhow

GRIP

Is your LDR solar damage? Either way, I'd say get an Ice Breaker. There are situations where it's infinite ammo is invaluable. I don't use mine quite as often as I used to, but it's still great to have.

E92 M3

Do NOT listen to him. Get an ice breaker immediately if you don't have one. I use it more than any other exotic in the game by far. It's not even close. Get an ice breaker right now and never look back. You will regret it until he sells it again if you don't.

BUY IT RIGHT NOW.

The Ice Breaker messiah

rNilla

i havent used it at all since i got the black hammer, but its definitely still nice to have
would i buy and waste materials and time to level 3 of them, especially when the next dlc is likely going to wreck my bum with more inane weapon grinding? nope, because i swap weapons anyhow

I can't even be bothered to level up the exotics I actually want to level up, let alone multiple IBs.

LiK

If you got the coins, just get IB. It's good. The only negatives are it has ridiculous recoil and waiting for ammo to refill is annoying sometimes. But it's a great gun for different situations.

zewone

It's hard to say. I think everyone should have at least one Ice Breaker, because for certain situations, it's a life saver. I just don't think it's nearly as useful anymore with so many great legendary options.

EL CUCO

BUY IT RIGHT NOW.
8KfbaV1.jpg

zewone

BUY IT RIGHT NOW.
You must not have many options if it's your most used exotic.

When I used to solo weeklies pre-patch that made soloing harder, IB was the way to go. Especially with Juggler on. When I run out of Black Hammer ammo, I usually switch to IB. Had to do that during Flawless. Ice Breaker is definitely awesome.

realcZk

I can't even be bothered to level up the exotics I actually want to level up, let alone multiple IBs.

i suppose the one thing thats nice about IB on multiple characters is that you don't need to level it at all for the ammo regeneration, but when you swap weapons like me its just a waste IMO

i play destiny quite a bit and i haven't even had time to upgrade half the stuff i want to play around with, even though i have the materials. i'm also highly discouraged from doing so if it all gets reset again in a few months.

Let's not forget that Icebreaker also has a solid firefly-like perk too. IB chews through cabal and anytime there is a solar burn it is what I use up until the boss, where I switch to horn.

It is a hard hitting, ammo regening, head exploding sniper rifle that laughs in the face of the juggler modifier. What's not to love? Will you use other snipers while owning one, of course. I use black hammer a lot now. However, when I need to use my icebreaker, it is because I have nothing else that can do what it does. At 17 coins it is a steal.

Homeboyd

Lovn' the advice, guys. Will definitely try to buy it if I can get the remaining coins. Thanks!
No. You don't understand. There is no "if" you get the remaining coins. Run weeklies, run ROC strikes to get blues that hopefully decrypt into coins, do public events.. Hell, make alts and level them to 20 as soon as possible to swap your gear and instantly level to the same level as your main and re-run all the weeklies, etc again.

Stop what you are doing. Leave your job. Drop your kids off at their grandparent's. Get your ass home and FARM SOME DAMN COINS IMMEDIATELY.

You only get one shot. Do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity only comes once (twice) in a lifetime yo.

EL CUCO

You must not have many options if it's your most used exotic.
I think its my most used exotic too. Because even when I'm not firing it, if I need the ammo for whatever reason, I pop it on and boom. The day I bought Icebreaker was the day I stopped buying Special Ammo synths :)

I always make sure to have it with me, even when not equipped. Especially with Juggler on.

zewone

Let's not forget that Icebreaker also has a solid firefly-like perk too. IB chews through cabal and anytime there is a solar burn it is what I use up until the boss, where I switch to horn.

It is a hard hitting, ammo regening, head exploding sniper rifle that laughs in the face of the juggler modifier. What's not to love? Will you use other snipers while owning one, of course. I use black hammer a lot now. However, when I need to use my icebreaker, it is because I have nothing else that can do what it does. At 17 coins it is a steal.
Invective has regenerating special ammo if that's all you want to use it for.

Lima

I too can't remember the last time I used Ice Breaker. My go to loadout for CE is Mida,Black Hammer and Corrective Measure for the Abyss and Fatebringer, Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn for everything after. Even when I'm on boomer duty I like using BH more. It still has a special place in my heart because I got it week 1 when the game launched out of an engram from the loot cave.

Bizazedo

i suppose the one thing thats nice about IB on multiple characters is that you don't need to level it at all for the ammo regeneration, but when you swap weapons like me its just a waste IMO

i play destiny quite a bit and i haven't even had time to upgrade half the stuff i want to play around with, even though i have the materials. i'm also highly discouraged from doing so if it all gets reset again in a few months.

Anyone else expecting new currencies to screw over hardcore peeps?

zewone

It basically allows you to camp and control the encounter however you like. Nightfalls and weeklys included.
I do that now without an Ice Breaker.
No. You don't understand. There is no "if" you get the remaining coins. Run weeklies, run ROC strikes to get blues that hopefully decrypt into coins, do public events.. Hell, make alts and level them to 20 as soon as possible to swap your gear and instantly level to the same level as your main and re-run all the weeklies, etc again.

Stop what you are doing. Leave your job. Drop your kids off at their grandparent's. Get your ass home and FARM SOME DAMN COINS IMMEDIATELY.

You only get one shot. Do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity only comes once (twice) in a lifetime yo.
Way too much hype. If this was a Gjallarhorn being talked about I'd agree.

noomi

Don't get me wrong I love the icebreaker, and it is one of the best exotics in the game, but black hammer is pretty amazing as well, I use that more often now-a-days.

Either way, if you don't have the icebreaker, BUY DAT SHIT!

Pretty good Xurday for me. I bought IB #3, Obsidian Mind and Bad Juju upgrade. I'm really looking forward to playing around with the Bad Juju + Obs Mind combo.

I just started a Titan alt yesterday and thought about picking up Glasshouse. But I think that Saint-14 or Ruin Wings would be more useful so I'll probably hold off.

I saw someone bring up the topic of raid plans next week. My regular group isn't able to raid until the weekend. I will probably wait to see how the hard drops are done (i.e. if primaries are only on Crota). If they are, I'll probably run the regular raid up to Crota on my characters first to try to get better armor rolls. My preferred warlock set up leaves me with 0 INT... not ideal.

Our of curiosity, why would you buy the obsidian mind upgrade and not just the new helmet? It would save you 1 strange coin as well as give you an exotic shard once you got rid of the old helmet.

Invective has regenerating special ammo if that's all you want to use it for.

Invective is a piece of shit outside of PvP where ammo doesn't matter (other than heavy) and the ammo regen on invective is slower than Icebreaker. IB is a good sniper rifle outside of just the ammo regen.

Buy the fucking icrebreaker if you are on the fence. The naysayers are have no idea what they are talking about. It is only 17 coins and having one when you need one is much better than wanting one and praying to RNG.

Lima

Anyone else expecting new currencies to screw over hardcore peeps?
You can bet your booty that the new raid will have a new currency. I will be glowing like a mad man with all these radiant materials in my inventory starting next week with double drops in hard mode. I will probably have 200 of each by the time HoW launches.

I have over 200 strange coins and nothing to spend them on. Seeing my one good drop being sold just 3 days later for a measly 13 SC isn't awesome.

*You got it for free, then. I had to pay 17 coins for mine on TOP of playing 150 hours since release. ;) (had 16 coins the last time it was sold and just could not get that last one needed grinding strikes)

*this post is said tongue in cheek. Hard to convey in text.

Homeboyd

I do that now without an Ice Breaker.

Way too much hype. If this was a Gjallarhorn being talked about I'd agree.
I'd say even if everyone on the planet screamed about how amazing this gun is from a mountain top, it would still be severely underhyped.

I'M GOING I'M GOING I'M GOING

NGjC2.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sobs. Weeps. Is overjoyed.

FINALLY MY DAY HAS ARRIVED!!!

I would have preferred for her to drop for me a la Gjallarhorn but I. Am. Not. Complaining.

Bought that and Obsidian Mind.

So. Glad.

:)

Back to sleep.....
Well deserved, enjoy it. :)

Gonna be another cleanout week from me. Need Glasshouse, Obsidian Mind, and an extra Ice Breaker to keep on hand.

I don't understand there being naysayers, IB is a game changing weapon, both for and without the regening special ammo.

This is where I am with Ice Breaker. It's a great weapon and can be incredibly useful but it is also incredibly overemphasized.

id say that ice breaker is the 2nd best exotic in the game. very close second to ghorn imo. where ghorn is useful 100% of the time IB has its niche but where its good, its really freak'n good. closing in on 3rd is probably hawkmoon but I wouldnt know as I dont have one yet.

I'm too much of a newbie in comparison here, but I have been lurking the thread(s?!) so I had to say hello.

I have only a level 26 Hunter and last night I managed to get rank 3 in Future War Cult to finally get legendary armor... Bought some chill assed boots...

I do have 12 strange coins, I'll need just one more and maybe I can buy something from Xur for the first time!

I should have just leveled up my Vanguard Rank from the start and called it a day. Destiny is a grind but I am glad that I'm not unemployed or else I'd just waste all of my life and money into it...

Top Bottom