• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the glasshouse is cool, but it only extends WoL/BoL by 5 seconds. i think its handy in something like the Atheon fight where 5 more seconds of WoL can make a big difference but it would be difficult to justify its use in other situations (especially when you re-dip into the bubble) over helm of saint 14/ruin wings
I'm gonna disagree with this to some extent unless "something like" includes Roc strikes, which is where it will have the most valuable use for me by far. The Saint 14 blind isn't as useful there as it is in many other situations (and that will still be my default defender piece).

But a Weapons of Light Defender is kind of the core of almost any fireteam because it benefits the full team shooting at a boss- and while the 5 seconds of extra buffed damage per popping in the bubble might not seem like it at all, the small amounts time spent dipping back into the bubble each time adds up to a significant boost to DPS throughout a whole fight. When these fights are ideally < 3 mins to begin with, it's less subtle a difference than you might think. In otherwise low-risk scenarios where just doing as much damage as quickly as possible is the most you need to concern yourself with (Roc strikes) it's pretty perfect. I'm psyched :D

Of the two, Obsidian Mind is far more build-defining though of course. I'm really pumped for this as I've just started to come around on Voidwalkers and am loving Shatter/Angry Magic.

realcZk

I'm gonna disagree with this to some extent unless "something like" includes Roc strikes, which is where it will have the most valuable use for me by far. The Saint 14 blind isn't as useful there as it is in many other situations (and that will still be my default defender piece).

But a Weapons of Light Defender is kind of the core of almost any fireteam because it benefits the full team shooting at a boss- and while the 5 seconds of extra buffed damage per popping in the bubble might not seem like it at all, the small amounts time spent dipping back into the bubble each time adds up to a significant boost to DPS throughout a whole fight. When these fights are ideally <3 mins to begin with, it's less subtle a difference than you might think. In otherwise low-risk scenarios where just doing as much damage as quickly as possible is the most you need to concern yourself with (Roc strikes) it's pretty perfect. I'm psyched :D

Of the two, Obsidian Mind is far more build-defining though of course. I'm really pumped for this as I've just started to come around on Voidwalkers and am loving Shatter/Angry Magic.

blasting through roc strikes would definitely be a good use for it, i just had end-game stuff ( crotas end/vog ) on my mind when i considered its primary use cases. personally it would be hard for me to use it over my ruin wings + ballerhorn in roc though (unless i was using a different exotic)

WipedOut

If you don't have IB yet at all, buy it. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise, buy it. Buying multiples is someone's own decision, but the fact that many people here are buying multiples for all their characters should tell you something about how good the gun is.

What this guy said, I bought 3 of them, been waiting forever for. Immediately went down on patrol and fired off a couple shots,

BTW Bungie, you need a gun range and allow us to test out the guns at the tower before we buy!

As simple as that? No need for manage subscriptions, parental controls and other crap I read when searching for it? Or is that necessary only for game sharing?

Man I feel better now... Thank you iRAWRasaurus!
Yep. I think it seems confusing at first since you have to hit "create new user" or something like that

SkylineRKR

Bought Vanquisher, good lord. Was waiting for a good roll but didn't get anythin so spent marks which were maxed anyway.

Its good!

22 mag, but spray and play. And glass half full + fitted stock. Its awesome. If someones looking for a good AR, this is it.

Bogeypop

Oh man I am that guy. I love camping the spots in the cosmodrome or on Venus where people do the 20 super bounty. I will play dumb at first and then see who quits first. I enjoy being an asshole.

If we ever meet in the field of AFK battle I will make sure your death is slow and as painfully drawn out as possible. (As is the nature of an AFK battle)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
roc strikes would definitely be a good use for it, i just had end-game stuff ( crotas end/vog on my mind when i considered its use case)
Yeah totally agreed. Saint 14 puts in damn fine work in CE throughout, and the pace of the crota fight (kill swordbearer, pause dps, kill shield, pause dps, kill shield, etc.) is perfect for dipping back into a bubble strategically. For Roc Strikes, Atheon himself and gentler Nightfalls when you're just unloading into a boss for massive damage, it'll be great.

I'm also wearing thunderdevil on my titan so I'm set XD

Welcome to the Grind fest.

If you're got 12 coins and zero Exotic armor, try to get that extra coin. The Hunter helm Xûr is selling is a fantastic choice for Gunslingers and will help you level up quickly (it starts at 30 Light and goes up to 36 when maxed).

If you haven't opened all the Gold Chests on Mars, the fourth one has a guaranteed Strange Coin. With that you should be set :) Google for Mars Gold Chest Locations and be on your way.

The grind is a cruel mistress...

No Exotic armor yet, unfortunately... but I'll definitely google the gold chest locations in that case, thanks!

GhaleonEB

I figured that's what you meant. Btw, if you hadn't seen the hype train leaving the station today, Ice Breaker at Xur. Go get one for your daughter IMMEDIATELY if she doesn't have one yet.

I'm sitting here at Xur and was about to ask if I should get it. I take it that's yes. :lol

I couldn't use Dragon's Breath alongside it, which also does solar damage. :\

boofa

Neo Member
I'm only buying 1 IB since it seems clear they're listening for once and adding the ability to move things in and out of the vault from the mobile app. I can suffer through tower runs until that goes live. Having 3 black hammers helps with that decision too, lol.

the glasshouse is cool, but it only extends WoL/BoL by 5 seconds. i think its handy in something like the Atheon fight where 5 more seconds of WoL can make a big difference but it would be difficult to justify its use in other situations (especially when you re-dip into the bubble) over helm of saint 14 and ruin wings, the benefits of which are huge

it also looks bad with every single shader in the game except thunderdevil, then it just looks okay :)

Side note: I hit rank 3 in IB last night after you signed off.

matmanx1

I don't like the Thorn for PVP. It just doesn't feel right for me. I switched to TLW for a short bit last night when my Vex was glitching and it felt so good again. I need to upgrade it back up. Lost the perks when I upgraded it with Xur.

TLW is fast and frantic and requires you to stay on top of it at all times to get the best out of it. Firing it at maximum velocity (even with perfect balance) makes a lot of recoil and if I am not 100% on top of my game I end up missing way too many shots. When I am well rested and coherent (doesn't happen all that often, unfortunately) I absolutely shred with TLW. It's a monster and it is so much fun to use.

Thorn on the other hand is easier to use, period. It has better range and you get free damage with the DoT that keeps people's shields from regenerating even if they are trying to hide from you. I agree that it doesn't fire with the same joyful abandon that TLW does but then again, Thorn is supposed to be dark and evil and it's still fun to kill people in 2 head shots as you watch them fall over dead from the DoT.

Both guns are fantastic and I switch between them often, depending on how I'm feeling.

realcZk

I'm only buying 1 IB since it seems clear they're listening for once and adding the ability to move things in and out of the vault from the mobile app. I can suffer through tower runs until that goes live. Having 3 black hammers helps with that decision too, lol.

wait... whaaaaaaat?!?!?!?! link me boofa!
this is huge

Homeboyd

I'm sitting here at Xur and was about to ask if I should get it. I take it that's yes. :lol
I am the official non-official official Ice Breaker spokesman team leader. Just check my last few posts about it. You should absolutely buy it, even if it completely bankrupts your strange coin bank account. It's amazing.

I couldn't use Dragon's Breath alongside it, which also does solar damage. :\
Don't you DARE put Dragon's Breath in the same category as IB. DON'T YOU DARE.

Ragarra

blasting through roc strikes would definitely be a good use for it, i just had end-game stuff ( crotas end/vog ) on my mind when i considered its primary use cases. personally it would be hard for me to use it over my ruin wings + ballerhorn in roc though (unless i was using a different exotic)

I would mainly ever use it on boss fights cause in other cases where you have a large number of mobs the blind/CC or just lots of ghorn shots would end more useful I think. On bossess 5 extra seconds of bonus damage is useful.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
personally it would be hard for me to use it over my ruin wings + ballerhorn in roc though (unless i was using a different exotic)
I hear that, I do have that build to run as well. Wouldn't be too awful to have one titan with each one..... 8)
Can Nat afford it too? If not can we help her afford it?

She was all "I just want a sniper rifleeeeeeeee ;_;" last night.

Love how demonic a Titan looks with the helm!

B7eumG0IYAAChc7.jpg

SkylineRKR

Yeah TLW takes a lot of skill, and you have to be lucky with connection. And you have to be mid to close range. At peak hours I can't hit shit with it, but otherwise its fine. Its usually 3 bursts. Feels good if you kill with it.

I am sure it has been answered a bunch of times, but does weapons of light buff help take down crota shields quicker? I know it doesn't affect the sword holder, but if it makes bringing his shields down, it might be helpful for when a fireteam runs out of heavy ammo and has to take him down with primaries.

Ragarra

OMG that is indeed awesome... hopefully it happens before Destiny 2 or the comet expansion.

EL CUCO

Might make Glasshouse my new priority on the Titan, Obsidian Mind definitely on my Warlock, gonna play around with a Hunger/Soul Rip build. Any Voidwalkers that like Bad Juju also make sure to buy the hell out of that helm.
This. I'm going to rock the hell out of that Black face with Bad Juju.

E92 M3

Basically when the exclusivity is up, Xur will probably sell everything not from bounties. Except Ballerhorn, you'll never see it again, muhahaha

I'm talking a special event type of thing where it's sold right away. That'll be pretty cool.

The question is, will you still be playing when Hawkmoon, which is amazing, be on Xbone?

If nothing changes with the current trajectory, then I should be. As long as I can get loot at a decent pace - even if it not with the best luck - I'll be happy. Need to see how HOW of turns and what kind of QOL changes Bungie makes.

Any Xbox One users want to run Flawless Raider in the next couple days?
About to hit 32.
Gt: ConscienceFalls

I can always help out.

patchday

made an impulse buy and purchased Glasshouse from Xur. Need to grind up this thing to unlock the perk. Already frustrated by the funny green color. No matter what shader I apply to my Titan glasshouse sticks out

LiK

TLW is fast and frantic and requires you to stay on top of it at all times to get the best out of it. Firing it at maximum velocity (even with perfect balance) makes a lot of recoil and if I am not 100% on top of my game I end up missing way too many shots. When I am well rested and coherent (doesn't happen all that often, unfortunately) I absolutely shred with TLW. It's a monster and it is so much fun to use.

Thorn on the other hand is easier to use, period. It has better range and you get free damage with the DoT that keeps people's shields from regenerating even if they are trying to hide from you. I agree that it doesn't fire with the same joyful abandon that TLW does but then again, Thorn is supposed to be dark and evil and it's still fun to kill people in 2 head shots as you watch them fall over dead from the DoT.

Both guns are fantastic and I switch between them often, depending on how I'm feeling.

I also hate the sound. Thorn sounds like an airsoft gun.

boofa

Neo Member
wait... whaaaaaaat?!?!?!?! link me boofa!
this is huge

There's nothing official announced yet, but on the Android app when looking at items, if you hit menu fast enough you will see a Move To Vault option. Also there when viewing vault items to move to inventory. I haven't been fast enough to see it work because I'm always on wifi or 4G, but some folks on reddit have said they actually moved some stuff when on a slow enough connection when it first popped up. I think it has since been blocked from working, but the feature is there already. Not sure why it hasn't been enabled. Maybe they're holding it for HoW release.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am sure it has been answered a bunch of times, but does weapons of light buff help take down crota shields quicker? I know it doesn't affect the sword holder, but if it makes bringing his shields down, it might be helpful for when a fireteam runs out of heavy ammo and has to take him down with primaries.
100%, yes, to the point where it is the biggest individual asset any one person can bring to that fight (well, as it is in many PvE scenarios :p)

If you can consistently get bubbles for the shield phases, and the full team remembers to

Dip in -> Shield Break -> Dip back in -> Shield Break

The entire fight can be done without a single rocket, I'm absolutely positive.

edit: If the swordbearer is slowing down the fight, consider popping the bubble when he's about 50% to be able to use the bubble for all three (swordbearer kill, shield 1, shield 2)

Might make Glasshouse my new priority on the Titan, Obsidian Mind definitely on my Warlock, gonna play around with a Hunger/Soul Rip build. Any Voidwalkers that like Bad Juju also make sure to buy the hell out of that helm.
I've been sitting on the PvP portion of the Bad JuJu bounty for a really long time now, since I hate going in solo for PvP (plus I'm not good at it). Gonna have to man up and get it done now.

Already ran it, but have no problems helping out tomorrow :)

I'll send you an invite tomorrow morning. Heading straight to a hockey game after work. Won't be on tonight.
Yeah, tonight is Mrs. Squid time, my real Destiny.

Yeah, I meant fusion rifle, not pulse rifle. I got them confused.
That fusion rifle is GREAT. Super quick charge time.

100%, yes, to the point where it is the biggest individual asset any one person can bring to that fight (well, as it is in many PvE scenarios :p)

If you can consistently get bubbles for the shield phases, and the full team remembers to

Fuck yeah, that is great to know! Thanks.

boofa

Neo Member
100%, yes, to the point where it is the biggest individual asset any one person can bring to that fight (well, as it is many PvE scenarios :p)

I concur. Our group never uses rockets on the first round of sword because we bring him down before the swordbearer can get there. Round 2 of the same sword has been done a couple of times when everyone was out of heavy w.o a bubble, so WoL would make it super easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been sitting on the PvP portion of the Bad JuJu bounty for a really long time now, since I hate going in solo for PvP (plus I'm not good at it). Gonna have to man up and get it done now.
Unlike for Thorn, there's no "backwards" progress for the Bad Juju bounty, you can really just grind it out.

Top Bottom