• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

well there are a non-negligible of contexts in which the recoil just doesn't matter, targets that are basically fixed in place with huge hitboxes. do have to bear in mind that ghal doesn't raid I guess, so Atheon and the ability to be on boomers for Crota aren't really concerns. but even if you never fire a shot with IB you can use it to regenerate your special ammo in a pinch. it regens while equipped, it doesn't even have to be in your hands. but ohhh well

personally, I absolutely hate sniper rifles in general but Ice Breaker is something special.

I only notice the recoil on my IB after I use a sniper like patience and time. IB recoil is just second nature to me now. If there was a short sight on P&T it might have gotten more use outside of arc burns.

Deku Tree

I still have 132 Strange Coins in the Vault. I wanted to keep an IceBreaker on each toon rather than keeping it in the Vault. You don't even really need to go out of your way to upgrade Icebreaker as fast as possible. It's incredibly good right away.

I regretted it dearly, unfortunately. I didn't check its stability before buying, which is rock bottom and without a perk to jack it up, just make it more predictable. I only use weapons with very high stability. I just really, really hate recoil. Not just in Destiny, but as a gameplay mechanic; it's the reason I only use single-shot weapons, and pick those with very high stability. I tried using Icebreaker on the daily and could barely land a shot, and never landed a follow up shot.

So not only did it run counter to my elemental damage strategy it was a weapon I hated using. :\

Dismantled. At least I got shard out of it.
Aw, sorry to hear you didn't like it (honestly a first). It's such a powerful gun with the regen ammo, that it needs something to keep it from being used all the time with no drawbacks. The recoil perk actually makes it VERY predictable: it literally just recoils straight up. Holding down on the thumbstick mitigates it a bit. I was using it last night to keep the Boomer Knights off everyone's back during the Crota end fight.

If stability is all your after, Patience & Time is what you really want in an exotic. I think you can max out the stability with one of it's perks.

Dave_6

Guess I will buy the Titan helm as the only exotic I have for mine is Ruin Wings. Probably will upgrade Plan C and maybe Pocket Infinity, maybe. I also need a couple shards for exotic upgrades.

R0ckman

Post on Reddit about Iron Banner heroes:

No, the damage modifier is not worth the flipping of spawns. Winning control is more about controlling the right places and spawning at the right place than getting more control points.

Also, due to the game's spawn system, YOU CANNOT SUCCESFULLY CAPTURE AND DEFEND A + C ON ANY MAP UNLESS THE OTHER TEAM IS COMPLETE SHIT.

A lot of people, good players too, still don't know this.

Which is MOST of the time.

No, the damage modifier is not worth the flipping of spawns. Winning control is more about controlling the right places and spawning at the right place than getting more control points.

Also, due to the game's spawn system, YOU CANNOT SUCCESFULLY CAPTURE AND DEFEND A + C ON ANY MAP UNLESS THE OTHER TEAM IS COMPLETE SHIT.

I've printed out Zoba's Iron Banner guide from last Iron Banner. It's tremendously helpful. Not playing much PvP, when the map loads I just check it to see what zones we want and go. I'm doing much better even with randoms than I normally do playing control in crucible.

Cannot be said enough. Spawn points are way more important than holding all three zones.

Trying to convince my IRL buddies of this is still going nowhere....

LiK

I still have 132 Strange Coins in the Vault. I wanted to keep an IceBreaker on each toon rather than keeping it in the Vault. You don't even really need to go out of your way to upgrade Icebreaker as fast as possible. It's incredibly good right away.
Yep, stock IB is already great.

zewone

I regretted it dearly, unfortunately. I didn't check its stability before buying, which is rock bottom and without a perk to jack it up, just make it more predictable. I only use weapons with very high stability. I just really, really hate recoil. Not just in Destiny, but as a gameplay mechanic; it's the reason I only use single-shot weapons, and pick those with very high stability. I tried using Icebreaker on the daily and could barely land a shot, and never landed a follow up shot.

So not only did it run counter to my elemental damage strategy it was a weapon I hated using. :\

People should heed my earlier warnings of the Ice Breaker. Save you coins. Use a legendary sniper.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On that point, the last patch notes indicated you could be awarded strange coins with the other rewards of the nightfall. Has anyone seen that happened or maybe i read it wrong ...
Was a little ambiguous. I thought that was what it meant as well, however I haven't heard this happening. I think what they meant was that from now on, Nightfall coin rewards will be at least 10 (prior they could award 5).

BokehKing

Banned
Give me one week with none of this anti-troll / no talk in lobby bullshit and I'll scream from the rafters

"don't capture A"
"don't capture c"
Depending on the map

Speaking of the crucible, where are the smaller maps at for Control? I've been playing the same three maps all morning

CHC

Not trying to shit this thread up, I am just honestly curious... What is it about Destiny that provokes SO much discussion? 15 threads, no other game has even come remotely close. Just like, in a word, what are you guys talking about?

Rubenov

Not trying to shit this thread up, I am just honestly curious... What is it about Destiny that provokes SO much discussion? 15 threads, no other game has even come remotely close. Just like, in a word, what are you guys talking about?

Cheese

zewone

Stuff and sometimes things.

Well that is certainly debatable when they can't even understand fundamentals....

Dazzler

The stupidity of randoms playing Control never ceases to amaze me

Literally charging to their death over and over again trying to cap the 3rd control point

BokehKing

Banned
People should heed my earlier warnings of the Ice Breaker. Save you coins. Use a legendary sniper.
Huh? Ice breaker was key in soloing the archon priest nightfall back in the day

Considering sometimes special ammo doesn't drop, or your special ammo is on cool down, or maybe juggler is on the heroic you're facing

Ice Breaker is a must have for the recent ammo alone.

rNilla

Space-magic.

realcZk

http://imgur.com/HWSokUX

Seems like the backend stuff is in the Android app already but can't be used right now. App hype.

that functionality will be extremely useful once it's ready (hopefully soon!). its nice that you can already equip/un-equip items in your inventory when you're offline.

love
fun
family
friends
cheese
destiny

oh, and a lot of warlock-hate :)

milkham

On that point, the last patch notes indicated you could be awarded strange coins with the other rewards of the nightfall. Has anyone seen that happened or maybe i read it wrong ...

it was always possible to get coins they just changed it so you dont get FIVE coins. I had a nightfall run where i got 10 energy and a friend got 10 coins

BokehKing

Banned
The game
The drops
Getting groups together
Tactics
The love for the game
The way the game screws us
Mostly having fun... Yup... Fun, we enjoy it a lot.

Korosenai

So not only did it run counter to my elemental damage strategy it was a weapon I hated using. :

I can't even

noomi

The community is fantastic here :)

The thread is used for many things, bragging about loot, trying to get groups together for raids/pve/pvp, asking about strats, helping other players... and much more.

DestinyGAF is my home.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Cannot be said enough. Spawn points are way more important than holding all three zones.

Trying to convince my IRL buddies of this is still going nowhere....

Lol, do they even play the game?

I played IB alone yesterday and going against parties is just so frustrating. I don't know how I'll manage to get 5.

Same here, except I actually had a pretty good stretch with competent teammates. And then I got paired up with a bunch of IB Heroes...It did not go well after that...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Halo games have!

If you're really curious, I can go into as much or as little detail as you want. There are a lot of reasons behind it, especially if you really get into the why on any of the following, but the simplest summary would be these three points:

1) There's an enormous community of players here. Somewhere over 1000 active if including lurkers, and I am neither kidding nor speaking metaphorically.
2) There are a variety of certain kinds of posts that will appear on every page, appropriately.
3) There are a variety of recurring weekly and cyclical events that cause regular activity spikes (one of which is on Friday mornings, as it is at this very moment, for one example)

Coconut

Banned

Loot lust, tactics, and making fun of warlocks.

Mazre

Co-op heavy game with no effective in game means of organizing groups. That and the usual discussion involving a game receiving periodic balance/content updates. I think the rest is image spam.

BokehKing

Banned
So I have an hour or two left before I run around, get a hair cut and get ready for the company party (maybe ill win the raffle for Xbox 1 or the 60" TV, sure as hell hope I don't win a ps4 I already own)

Anyway, anyone up to do anything, or need help with something
Or anything

I'm talking Roc/crucible/raid, ect ect

zewone

Huh? Ice breaker was key in soloing the archon priest nightfall back in the day

Considering sometimes special ammo doesn't drop, or your special ammo is on cool down, or maybe juggler is on the heroic you're facing

Ice Breaker is a must have for the recent ammo alone.
  1. Green ammo is plentiful.
  2. The game will refill your ammo reserves after a short time if you are empty (if Juggler is off).
  3. Invective can refill your ammo in this fashion if you really want.
  4. Special Ammo packs are cheap from the gunsmith.
  5. Most Nightfalls aren't solar, and if they are, use an LDR or Gjallarhorn

The Halo games have!

If you're really curious, I can go into as much or as little detail as you want. There are a lot of reasons behind it, especially if you really get into the why on any of the following, but the simplest summary would be these three points:

1) There's an enormous community of players here. Somewhere over 1000 active if including lurkers, and I am neither kidding nor speaking metaphorically.
2) There are a variety of certain kinds of posts that will appear on every page, appropriately.
3) There are a variety of recurring weekly events that cause regular activity spikes (one of which is on Friday mornings, as it is at this very moment, for one example)

Bullet point 4. We have a Namikaze

Ridwald

Was a little ambiguous. I thought that was what it meant as well, however I haven't heard this happening. I think what they meant was that from now on, Nightfall coin rewards will be at least 10 (prior they could award 5).

Ok that 's what i was thinking. Even if it is only that it's the least they could do, 5 coins for a NF is kind of "disappointing" ... There's always the buff ^^

Top Bottom