• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

noomi

I'm a little late catching up on things but bummer hard mode is next Wednesday and not Tuesday. I took Tuesday off from work. Dammit.

Hah, I did the same, but even with Hard Mode releasing on Wednesday I don't think I want to sit there banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to get through it.

I like a good challenge, but I'd rather have others try first and then tell me the best way to go about the raid.

That said, when house of wolves releases (also will be taking off work) I plan on going into it blind right after reset.

hydruxo

Not true. I received an Ice Breaker early in my Destiny career before the unwashed masses received it from Xur.

It was my favorite exotic for quite some time. But after using a Supremacy which has the same impact, I'd rather carry 24 shots and not have to worry about slow regen. Now I know Supremacy was a rare gun because you could only get it from Queens Wrath, but now a lot of legendary snipers offer the same or more damage than an IB.

For 95% of the game, you would want to use your exotic slot or a different gun when a legendary sniper will work just fine. That's my entire point. Like I said, I haven't really used it since the only time I would pull it out was to cheese Oracles in VoG Hard. And I don't even run that anymore.

Just because you don't find IB useful, doesn't mean that other people won't. It's bad advice telling people not to buy it because you don't use it anymore. I've got plenty of legendary snipers that I could use, and often do, but I still use Ice Breaker for most things in PvE pretty often. Nothing beats regenerating ammo straight to the mag and not having to worry about it.

Namikaze1

Yo, Captain_Cold, join us! Lol we got grouped up in the same group in that last match

These new destiny classes yall are talking about sound interesting. I'm very excited to play these new DESTINY classes.
103.jpg

Deku Tree

Xur sold Glasshouse seems like it has a really good stat roll with 122 max intellect... Anyone know the max stat roll you can get for the glasshouse?

realcZk

any news on the iron banner map playlist? the last iron banner had more map variety.
were they planning on having TDB maps in IB? I noticed when I chose it from orbit it has "The Dark Below" banner on it.

Please stop posting your video game slam poetry here. It's embarrassing .

LWA1Lca.gif

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Not true. I received an Ice Breaker early in my Destiny career before the unwashed masses received it from Xur.

It was my favorite exotic for quite some time. But after using a Supremacy which has the same impact, I'd rather carry 24 shots and not have to worry about slow regen. Now I know Supremacy was a rare gun because you could only get it from Queens Wrath, but now a lot of legendary snipers offer the same or more damage than an IB.

For 95% of the game, you would want to use your exotic slot or a different gun when a legendary sniper will work just fine. That's my entire point. Like I said, I haven't really used it since the only time I would pull it out was to cheese Oracles in VoG Hard. And I don't even run that anymore.

IB is probably the most useful gun in the game. It's also probably the most overrated gun in the game, in the sense that you never really NEED it. As I mentioned the other day, I don't even bring it with me anymore, as all of my characters have the raid sniper.

any news on the iron banner map playlist? the last iron banner had more map variety.
were they planning on having TDB maps in IB? I noticed when I chose it from orbit it has "The Dark Below" banner on it.

I haven't seen or heard of any Dark Below maps in this IB. Not even the 3 smaller maps that just got added.

zewone

Nothing beats regenerating ammo straight to the mag and not having to worry about it.

Most of the time your exotic slot is more useful on a primary you're going to use more often.

The QoL of not having to worry about picking up green ammo may be useful to you and not others. I'm giving people a 2nd opinion.

Or I could just say "OMGGGGGGG ICEBREAKER!!!!!!!!!! Based BUNGEEE!"

It obviously is not for everyone as Ghaelon already dismantled his after he was advised to buy one this morning.

Ophelion

I've pretty much already done Hawkian's mini-goal #1 from the post level 20 guide, but I'm not getting any guns. I'm going to be level 24 by the beginning of my play time tonight, but I'm still using a level 16-18 guns. Neeeeeeeeed better guuuuuuuuuunnnnnssssssss...*pouts*

My heavy machine gun is doing ok, but I need a better primary and secondary weapon. Sick of these long protracted duels with normal dudes the same level as me. And I really want to do the Dark Below story missions! I'm frickin' breaking down armor pieces my level, but not even one lovely weapon for me. Grrrrr!

Holyshitbbqsexcopteramazeballs@$#@%#%#!!!!!!!!!! This is the best Xur day there's ever been! IB when many of us thought he'd never sell it again, Glasshouse (this and Saint are what I've been waiting for) and Obsidian Mind is fantastic for Voidbros. Hell, Symbiote is perhaps the best exotic to use for Gunslingers too.

When I realized at the last moment that I didn't have enough Plasteel plating to get my Titan to 32 last night, I told myself it's a blessing in disguise because Xur will sell me Saint or Glasshouse today and I won't have to waste resources on a helm I don't intend on using. This weekend Xur, we're ok you and I. Today I will call you based, if only this weekend. I'm happy to not have to dump IB in the tower when I swap characters ever again. Now if I can just get two more Ballerhorns...eh, Xur? eh?

I've pretty much already done Hawkian's mini-goal #1 from the post level 20 guide, but I'm not getting any guns. I'm going to be level 24 by the beginning of my play time tonight, but I'm still using a level 16-18 guns. Neeeeeeeeed better guuuuuuuuuunnnnnssssssss...*pouts*

My heavy machine gun is doing ok, but I need a better primary and secondary weapon. Sick of these long protracted duels with normal dudes the same level as me. And I really want to do the Dark Below story missions! I'm frickin' breaking down armor pieces my level, but not even one lovely weapon for me. Grrrrr!

Do the tiger playlist and when you get to 26 do the ROC playlist if you have the DLC. Should drop better Rare weapons for you

Most of the time your exotic slot is more useful on a primary you're going to use more often.

The QoL of not having to worry about picking up green ammo may be useful to you and not others. I'm giving people a 2nd opinion.

Or I could just say "OMGGGGGGG ICEBREAKER!!!!!!!!!! Based BUNGEEE!"

It obviously is not for everyone as Ghaelon already dismantled his after he was advised to buy one this morning.

I can't even remember the last time I used an exotic as a primary outside PvP. And even then, I mostly use Fatebringer.

Navy Bean

Level 23-24 is the no-man's land of leveling... No real advice but just stick with it and focus on increasing your gear/levels and before long you will have plenty of weapons (just not the Fatebringer because I'm convinced that gun is a myth).

Ambitious

Would anyone be interested a quick raid (either VoG or CE) for the Raiding Party trophy? As far as I know, defeating the boss is sufficient for the trophy, so we could start from a checkpoint if anybody has one.

Tapiozona

Banned
Of course Xur has the Icebreaker this week and I only have 16 strange coins. I've already done the weekly (only have 1 character) so outside of that what is my best chance to get 1 more coin so I too can finally have an Icebreaker?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You're approaching the level where you'll be able to do the TDB quests, which reward you with a great Legendary Fusion Rifle.

Shito

I can't even remember the last time I used an exotic as a primary outside PvP. And even then, I mostly use Fatebringer.
Is there really an outstanding exotic primary?
I mean, I do love my hawkmoon, but it also has its flaws (as a scout rifle lover, range is one of them, for example). Mida is really cool, but not THAT MUCH better than a good legendary scout. Bad Juju in an obsidian build is funny, but pretty meh otherwise.
I'm struggling to find what primary exotic I would really "need" to use in PVE...

Of course Xur has the Icebreaker this week and I only have 16 strange coins. I've already done the weekly (only have 1 character) so outside of that what is my best chance to get 1 more coin so I too can finally have an Icebreaker?

Try a public event for the daily reward or run ROC Strikes.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Public events.

Hugstable

Banned
Who is this Xur and what does he do? I'm gonna guess I probably haven't been playing long enough to have enough of the currency I need with him to buy something?

Just because you don't find IB useful, doesn't mean that other people won't. It's bad advice telling people not to buy it because you don't use it anymore. I've got plenty of legendary snipers that I could use, and often do, but I still use Ice Breaker for most things in PvE pretty often. Nothing beats regenerating ammo straight to the mag and not having to worry about it.

Ha, yeah. He needs to just stop. It's the most useful weapon in the game, yes including the Horn, because of the regenerating ammo. Period.

It's the one weapon where you literally don't need to rely on anything else. No ammo packs, no green drops. Nothing. It's the only weapon in the game that allows you to solo 95% of the content.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I was the same way for months, but now I see the error of my ways. The best assault rifle, handcannon, pulse rifle and scout rifle are all exotic.

Is there really an outstanding exotic primary?
I mean, I do love my hawkmoon, but it also has its flaws (as a scout rifle lover, range is one of them, for example). Mida is really cool, but not THAT MUCH better than a good legendary scout. Bad Juju in an obsidian build is funny, but pretty meh otherwise.
I'm struggling to find what primary exotic I would really "need" to use in PVE...

There's not a single weapon in the game that you NEED to use. You could use any legendary gun in all 3 weapon slots and still easily complete all content.

zewone

Daily public event package has 25% chance of giving you a coin.

One of the Mars gold chests gives a strange coin if you haven't opened it yet.

Other than that, run Roc strikes and hope a blue engram opens into a coin.

Coconut

Banned

Run RoC for the engrams you should get one eventually.

zewone

Cause exotic primaries aren't all that great for PVE. I love the MIDA and hawkmoon but I feel like there are better Legendary alternatives for PVE

If I'm not using Hawkmoon, I'm using Gjallarhorn.

They are the only two exotics I seriously run for PVE. Everything else is just for collection or PVP.

Do a daily public event and go back and get the package, it has a strong chance of being a coin. Then do whatever you can to get blue engrams, including ROC strikes, and chances are also high they will turn into a coin.

Ophelion

Do the tiger playlist and when you get to 26 do the ROC playlist if you have the DLC. Should drop better Rare weapons for you

Ok, will try this when I get home tonight.

My only saving grace is that, through happenstance, almost everything I have improves grenade refresh time. I'm throwing grenades like I'm playing Halo at this point. Helps soften up the enemy so I can finish them off with my shitty guns.

As happy as I am to get a pair of ice breakers today, I'm still going to find something to complain about: That Rasputin story mission heroic daily... I'm sick of seeing it in the rotation, and I feel that the end fight is bullshit. I always get knocked down by something or another at least once. Fine for my warlock, but I have a hard time beating it with my alts solo. I'm skipping it for today.

I was the same way for months, but now I see the error of my ways. The best assault rifle, handcannon, pulse rifle and scout rifle are all exotic.

That may be so, but I ain't using any of them in place of Gjallarhorn or even Ice Breaker.

They're not that much better. You'll have to pry Fatebringer from my cold, dead hands.

Top Bottom