• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Of course Xur has the Icebreaker this week and I only have 16 strange coins. I've already done the weekly (only have 1 character) so outside of that what is my best chance to get 1 more coin so I too can finally have an Icebreaker?

I think roc strikes work best. I seemed to always get a couple from the cryptarc after a ROC session.

People are really arguing about the Ice Breaker vs the Invective? It's pretty simple why one would use the icebreaker over an invective...safety. I don't think anyone in their right mind would use a shotgun when you do a nightfall with lights witch or any game type where you don't respawn. Most people stay at a distance and snipe with an icebreaker. If light switch is active most won't risk getting killed for special ammo so they use an icebreaker.

Navy Bean

Is there really an outstanding exotic primary?
I mean, I do love my hawkmoon, but it also has its flaws (as a scout rifle lover, range is one of them, for example). Mida is really cool, but not THAT MUCH better than a good legendary scout. Bad Juju in an obsidian build is funny, but pretty meh otherwise.
I'm struggling to find what primary exotic I would really "need" to use in PVE...

How is the Thorn in PvE? I've just begun to level mine.

Tapiozona

Banned
Thanks for the advice everyone. I did the public event and got Ascendant Energy from the postmaster. I'll just run ROC strikes then and hope for the best.

Daily public event package has 25% chance of giving you a coin.

One of the Mars gold chests gives a strange coin if you haven't opened it yet.

Other than that, run Roc strikes and hope a blue engram opens into a coin.

Any idea where this chest is?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean, I do love my hawkmoon, but it also has its flaws (as a scout rifle lover, range is one of them, for example). Mida is really cool, but not THAT MUCH better than a good legendary scout. Bad Juju in an obsidian build is funny, but pretty meh otherwise.
I'm struggling to find what primary exotic I would really "need" to use in PVE...
The range on hawkmoon is ridiculously good with hammer forged, but regardless... there are a large number of outstanding exotic primaries, but very few of them justify the slot to any extent in PvE over what you could use the special or heavy slot for. I would identify the Vex Mythoclast as the lone example.

I use Hawkmoon in PvE an obnoxiously high percentage of the time, and even I can admit I'm playing less efficiently than if I were to run one of the exotic fusions, IB, Gjallarhorn, Thunderlord.

The waters are considerably muddier if you have Fatebringer or a great rolled 331 Hand Cannon. And of course, during a Nightfall you want a raid weapon with the right element in your primary slot which means using your exotic slot for something else. Except again, of coure, the Vex.

edit: I'll include two caveats

1) situational ideals, like Red Death on Crota
2) build ideals, like Bad Juju with an intellect/Inverse Shadow/Gunfighter/Obsidian Mind kind of thing

ocean

Banned
Thanks for the advice everyone. I did the public event and got Ascendant Energy from the postmaster. I'll just run ROC strikes then and hope for the best.

Any idea where this chest is?
There's 5 Gold Chests on each planet. Google for a YouTube video with the Mars locations. The 4th one you open will have a coin. This only works once though.

Navy Bean

That may be so, but I ain't using any of them in place of Gjallarhorn or even Ice Breaker.

They're not that much better. You'll have to pry Fatebringer from my cold, dead hands.

Since it took so long for me to get the GHorn I just never take it off. I have no problem emptying a clip of rockets into level 4 Dregs on Earth...lol

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So thinking of dabbling in Destiny again. I hit level 20, played some pvp, and then dropped the game.

Any tips for coming back? Reminds me of taking breaks from wow and then resubbing. I booted up the game and was basically all "What the hell do I do now...".

LiK

So thinking of dabbling in Destiny again. I hit level 20, played some pvp, and then dropped the game.

Any tips for coming back? Reminds me of taking breaks from wow and then resubbing. I booted up the game and was basically all "What the hell do I do now...".

Read Hawk's leveling guide in OP

I was the same way for months, but now I see the error of my ways. The best assault rifle, handcannon, pulse rifle and scout rifle are all exotic.

There's not a single weapon in the game that you NEED to use. You could use any legendary gun in all 3 weapon slots and still easily complete all content.

I found the VOG legendaries superior to their exotic counterparts. Of course we haven't seen the CE primaries yet.

Suros was the shit in PVE before they nerfed it twice. I don't think its good enough anymore to warrant an exotic slot

zewone

The range on hawkmoon is ridiculously good with hammer forged, but regardless... there are a large number of outstanding exotic primaries, but very few of them justify the slot to any extent in PvE over what you could use the special or heavy slot for. I would identify the Vex Mythoclast as the lone example.

I use Hawkmoon in PvE an obnoxiously high percentage of the time, and even I can admit I'm playing less efficiently than if I were to run one of the exotic fusions, IB, Gjallarhorn, Thunderlord.

The waters are considerably muddier if you have Fatebringer or a great rolled 331 Hand Cannon. And of course, during a Nightfall you want a raid weapon with the right element in your primary slot which means using your exotic slot for something else. Except again, of coure, the Vex.

Absolutely. I'd rather take an empty Gjallarhorn with the chance of purple ammo dropping over an Ice Breaker. or I'd rather take Hawkmoon because it's just so much fun. IB is so far from necessary, or any exotic for that matter.

Not trying to shit this thread up, I am just honestly curious... What is it about Destiny that provokes SO much discussion? 15 threads, no other game has even come remotely close. Just like, in a word, what are you guys talking about?

It really is magic.

It's insane to me that there's someone that doesn't appreciate the glory that is Ice Breaker. If I could have only one exotic in the game, this would be it. It's amazing in 98 percent of all PVE content. It has really high impact with the only other snipers in that range being Supremacy (not many people have it) and Black Hammer. It has infinite ammo for when you want to sit back and blast away without endangering yourself (Devil Walker on NF). It can regen ammo for another special weapon if your using something else for an arc burn. It has the agility boost that you don't have to sacrifice another useful perk for. This thing just slaughters enemies with crit hits and the only time I ever un-equip it in PvE is for Ballerhorn against the stronger bosses or if I have a great special weapon to use on Arc and Void burn NF strikes. I can see using an exotic primary over it for stuff like Patrols and bounties which I think is partly what Zewone is getting at but my VoC works just fine for that stuff and my IB will quickly waste the majors and ultras when I reach them.

This is without mentioning it looks really unique and sounds awesome or that it's the best weapon for many cheeses. To each Guardian his own but I highly recommend owning 3 IBs. It has the largest utility use in the game.

Dazzler

Of course Xur has the Icebreaker this week and I only have 16 strange coins. I've already done the weekly (only have 1 character) so outside of that what is my best chance to get 1 more coin so I too can finally have an Icebreaker?

If you want to grind out ROC and public event for strange coins, I need two and I'll be on from 6pm PST to do the same

I'm going to get the two, buy Ice Breaker then it's on the IB train for the rest of the night

Coconut

Banned

Get vanguard gear.

realcZk

"If you’ve experienced Hard Mode in Vault of Glass, you have some clues for how we can scale up a Raid. Prepare to take better care of your teammates. You’ll have fewer options for healing yourself, and each other. The enemies you’re about to face are stronger and more prone to temper tantrums."

...maybe no chalice and more oversoul?

E92 M3

Who is this Xur and what does he do? I'm gonna guess I probably haven't been playing long enough to have enough of the currency I need with him to buy something?

He is a merchant that comes on Fridays through Saturday. He sells exotics, engrams, weapon telemetries, heavy ammo synth, and sparrow upgrades. You need strange coins. They can gotten from doing the weekly heroics and randomly decrypted from random blue engrams.

"If you’ve experienced Hard Mode in Vault of Glass, you have some clues for how we can scale up a Raid. Prepare to take better care of your teammates. You’ll have fewer options for healing yourself, and each other. The enemies you’re about to face are stronger and more prone to temper tantrums."

Maybe chalice has a cool down?

TP-DK

Now that we are in the middle of a new Iron Banner I would like to take the time to look back at the last Iron Banner, and show you guys the only match reward I got:

NdJ18KB.jpg

Is it a bird, is it a plane? No it's a lunchbox with wings...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's insane to me that there's someone that doesn't appreciate the glory that is Ice Breaker. If I could have only one exotic in the game, this would be it. It's amazing in 98 percent of all PVE content. It has really high impact with the only other snipers in that range being Supremacy (not many people have it) and Black Hammer. It has infinite ammo for when you want to sit back and blast away without endangering yourself (Devil Walker on NF). It can regen ammo for another special weapon if your using something else for an arc burn. It has the agility boost that you don't have to sacrifice another useful perk for. This thing just slaughters enemies with crit hits and the only time I ever un-equip it in PvE is for Ballerhorn against the stronger bosses or if I have a great special weapon to use on Arc and Void burn NF strikes. I can see using an exotic primary over it for stuff like Patrols and bounties which I think is partly what Zewone is getting at but my VoC works just fine for that stuff and my IB will quickly waste the majors and ultras when I reach them.

This is without mentioning it looks really unique and sounds awesome or that it's the best weapon for many cheeses. To each Guardian his own but I highly recommend owning 3 IBs. It has the largest utility use in the game.
right on the nose.

I don't have the coin to own 3 though. My Titan has a phobia of sniper rifles though so it's okay. He needs to be in either punching distance or "I can make that punching distance"-distance

noomi

So I am going on a trip to DC for a few days, and I have my VITA now... I tried remote playing at home and it worked great. Hoping when im away from home it will work.

PS4 says nat type is 2, is there anything I should be concered about to get it working properly. I have UnPn (spelling?) enabled, any ports I need to forward. Every website says something else...

Navy Bean

I don't have it, I don't really like PVP and don't want to bother doing this part of the bounty.
I've heard it's pretty "meh" in PVE, but maybe I'm mistaken...

The Thorn bounty sat in my inventory for 2 months because of the PvP part...

Then I just put on all void weapons, Voidwalker, and did it in about 2 hours. It's actually pretty easy even if you aren't great at crucible.

EL CUCO

I definitely interpreted it as no chalice.

zewone

IIt has really high impact with the only other snipers in that range being Supremacy (not many people have it) and Black Hammer.

Supremacy, LDR, & Longbow have the same impact. LDR and Longbow can be easily obtained from vendors. Black Hammer has more impact and it's perk is more useful. Efrideet's Spear has way more impact and it can be rolled into perks you want.

joecanada

meh you could do a lot with any good gun... but for exotics I mostly use icebreaker, gjallahorn and pocket infinity, especially if I am solo in a mission and you need to take it slow, icebreaker is a godsend. Also anywhere when the ammo just isn't dropping. which happens a lot in this game.

Dazzler

Supremacy, LDR, & Longbow have the same impact. LDR and Longbow can be easily obtained from vendors. Black Hammer has more impact and it's perk is more useful. Efrideet's Spear has way more impact and it can be rolled into perks you want.

I used Black Hammer on Sepiks Prime for the first time last night and it's godly. Sit there easily picking up crits over and over again without ever having to reload

Perfection.

IB > BH (G-Horn too btw).

Shito

The range is awesome *for a handgun*, but it still pales in comparison with a good scout rifle. I'm so used to them being "mini sniper rifles" that even with hammer forged, I often find myself surprised of being too far away from my target for my hawkmoon to be really efficient.
Still, when it comes to fun factor, I agree it is damn high on the tier list. ^^
While Icebreaker plays more in the "useful" category. It really depends on how you want to play the game, being cheesy / efficient, or having fun.

Still, anyone with enough coins and no Icebreaker yet should buy one.
There's no skipping it if you have the resources.

The Thorn bounty sat in my inventory for 2 months because of the PvP part...

Then I just put on all void weapons, Voidwalker, and did it in about 2 hours. It's actually pretty easy even if you aren't great at crucible.
Might try it one day... But I find I always have "something more fun" to do before it. ^^

Coconut

Banned

Or maybe the person that grabs the chalice is a designated healer?

Tapiozona

Banned
If you want to grind out ROC and public event for strange coins, I need two and I'll be on from 6pm PST to do the same

I'm going to get the two, buy Ice Breaker then it's on the IB train for the rest of the night

That's exactly my plan. I need that hand cannon from IB. PS or XBOX?

Top Bottom