• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Trace

Banned
Sounds like you're confusing AR's with SMGs? AR's are not meant to be spray and pray weapons in close range.

I do agree that scout rifles should beat an AR user at long range though if everything is equal - both start firing at the same time and both are accurate.

There are no SMGs in Destiny. I'm saying in terms of Destiny's balancing structure, they should be spray weapons at close range like a Halo Storm rifle or Assault rifle. The mid range is supposed to be taken care of by Pulse Rifles and Handcannons and long range is supposed to be Scout Rifles. The balancing of course being what it is, is fucked.

matmanx1

Clusterfuck would be fine if I wasn't forced to use an auto rifle every single fucking day to get bounties. Getting shit on because there is one auto rifle that is straight up better than every other one is stupid.

So don't do that bounty? I never do and I haven't had an issue ranking up in any of the previous IB tournaments and buying what I want. Become one of us, the Thorn people and you too can see the tears of AR users everywhere! (jk! jk!
sort of!
)

the patience and time optics does that (less zoom) but it's the only one of it's kind to do that and only does that because it was a specific way to 'buff' the exotic

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I've really used my P&T since this change. I loved the feel of P&T, but the long zoom really limited it's usefulness for me. Might have to give it another chance.

R0ckman

Another satisfied customer!

I hear you though. There are some balancing issues that should be tended too. I still say that if you removed the lag, things would be much better.

I hate it when I'm trying to snipe and the enemy use strafe + lag. Pisses me off to no end, I just give up and pull out the thorn.

It does suck that it's only an AR bounty, but that one goes pretty quick for me. I could switch my primary after I get it, but I just like using the Suros ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I think I'm leaving work early, in about an hour or so, so like 3:30 or 4:00 EST. I also have 3 weeklies to do still, so if you need a 3rd let me know. If we can't get templar going this early, I'll be available most of the evening.

At 9:00 EST i plan on joining the iron banner with Cosmos. I believe at 4-4:30 I'll be able to tackle the VoG, assuming we get a team set.

Navy Bean

There are no SMGs in Destiny. I'm saying in terms of Destiny's balancing structure, they should be spray weapons at close range like a Halo Storm rifle or Assault rifle. The mid range is supposed to be taken care of by Pulse Rifles and Handcannons and long range is supposed to be Scout Rifles. The balancing of course being what it is, is fucked.

In a game where shotguns and fusion rifles are one-hit kill weapons from short to mid-range I don't think any ARs or, in particular, Suros, is a problem.

Most annoying ways to die in Crucible:

1. Titan shoulder charge
2. Shotgun from 30 feet away
3. Fist of Havoc
4. Fusion rifle from across the map
5. Blade Dancer
1. Shotgun while shoulder charging face first into someone
2. Shoulder Charge stopping right before someone backing up
3. Shoulder Charge effect ending right before you want to Shoulder Charge
4. Shoulder Charge not tracking up/down like you expect it to so you charge above/below the person.
5. Shoulder Charge into someone mid Fist of Havoc/Bladedancing/Voidwalking
Bonus- Seeing someone you can easily shoot, but sprinting towards them instead to shoulder charge and dying.

jaaz

But there's only 2 of them. I think treating them like every other weapon makes sense. As in, I see no reason for Hawkmoon upgrade being offered more often than, say, The Lasy Word. Or why Monte Carlo should be available more often than Suros.

But the Last Word has been offered like 3 times, the same with the Horn and other weapons. I think Hawkmoon only once. I guess it could be all RNG, but it seems there's more slots opened for those other weapons to be offered, since the PS weapons are on a separate line in Xur's inventory.

Trace

Banned
In a game where shotguns and fusion rifles are one-hit kill weapons from short to mid-range I don't think any ARs or, in particular, Suros, is a problem.

If you can find me a shotgun that kills in one hit from medium range I will believe you. Fusion rifles could do with a good range nerf as well.

Mindlog

Obsidian Mind & Glasshouse!
I never doubted you, Xur. Ignore those faithless monsters.
Will buy both. Also burn coins upgrading other exotics I never use as a tithe.

That finished my armor exotic hunt. Pretty sure that means I have all of those pieces except for the ones I purposely skipped. Same with weapons except for, Monte Carlo.

patchday

1. Titan shoulder charge
3. Fist of Havoc
5. Blade Dancer

For me it is unavoidable deaths like if I'm in a small room and a Warlock tosses out a Nova bomb. In general, I dont like AoE

This game has some fun light-hearted pvp for me when played in small increments. Such as 1 hour max a day. Not sure if I'm going to bother with IB. I had fun in IB earlier this morning but its so hard to take the pvp in this game seriously (in my opinion) when it is missing so many basic features we had in Halo (such as map voting, voice chat on by default, etc)

joecanada

So don't do that bounty? I never do and I haven't had an issue ranking up in any of the previous IB tournaments and buying what I want. Become one of us, the Thorn people and you too can see the tears of AR users everywhere! (jk! jk!
sort of!
)

Haha yeah I'll take thorn up against a Suros any day

@IB Team: I'll actually just finish a few quick bounties here and hop off for now, but I'll be back later tonight for sure

This is what happens when you turn your back on the Roc Train.

lol I should take it as a sign telling me to gtfo and get some food.... and I thought I read you were forsaking the train now that it (and NFall) have delivered all your heart's desires...

I'll definitely Roc it up tonight/this weekend sometime, but I do have that IB buff still running now...

stb

I hate Suros, I hate everything about it. Auto rifles are supposed to have terrible accuracy that allows you to spray when you get close to people and win fights that way, they shouldn't be beating fucking scout rifles at long range combat.

I agree. Suros is maddening to play against. It's not a "git gud" thing; the stats are broken and nonsensical for the weapon type. It'd be like having a shotgun that has a 180-degree blast radius for 3m in front of you.

Edit: I have a Suros, but actively try to not use it in Crucible/IB UNLESS I'm actively working doing the headshot bounty.

IceBreaker Groups:

-The guy who sharded his due to stability. A reasonable point (but he could have kept it for ammo regen, or at the very least wait to shard it until you actually needed the shard)
-People who suggest having three
-People who insist on having one, but three is overkill; use the vault
-People with Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer and don't use their IB anymore, but still have/keep one and suggest getting one
-Zewone

Ice Breaker is an important step in progressing with your character. Sure, if you got a Gjallarhorn and an assortment of sniper rifles, then you might not need IceBreaker all the time. But you can't easily get Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn. Right now, right here, Ice Breaker is available. And can be used to obtain Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn.

You want Ice Breaker at oracles in vault of glass
You want Ice Breaker at Knights against Crota, or against Orges
Ice Breaker is as useful or better than BH/GH for the following strikes: all of them

Ice Breaker saves glimmer with regenerating ammo. BH can easily run out so you hunt for more or use synth. GH eats snyth all day. I'm someone glad I don't have a GH because I save so much glimmer/synth on raids with pubs.

Maybe you have a good group where you use one synth and beat all raids on the first try. Other groups can fail for hours and spend 1 synth every 4 minutes, that's 15k glimmer per hour. Ice Breaker is a universal weapon that is great for all skill levels. BH/GH/Primary exotic works if you have the skill and a good team.

Navy Bean

If you can find me a shotgun that kills in one hit from medium range I will believe you. Fusion rifles could do with a good range nerf as well.

I said short to mid range but the point is that there are a number of OHK weapons for most situations so I don't see ARs as a major issue.

Coconut

Banned

1. Because of lag
2. Someone is skipping around all leggy and they shotgun you
3. From behind rock because lag
4. Lag
5. Titan slam.

Karl2177

I regretted it dearly, unfortunately. I didn't check its stability before buying, which is rock bottom and without a perk to jack it up, just make it more predictable. I only use weapons with very high stability. I just really, really hate recoil. Not just in Destiny, but as a gameplay mechanic; it's the reason I only use single-shot weapons, and pick those with very high stability. I tried using Icebreaker on the daily and could barely land a shot, and never landed a follow up shot.

So not only did it run counter to my elemental damage strategy it was a weapon I hated using. :\

Dismantled. At least I got shard out of it.

Nooooooooooooooo

Even my tears are weeping.

Trace

Banned
I said short to mid range but the point is that there are a number of OHK weapons for most situations so I don't see ARs as a major issue.

The problem is that I don't feel in danger of dying to a shotgun across the map, and if someone is running a sniper I know I'm not in danger of getting instakilled by a shotgun if I get close to kill them.

Someone can kill me with a Suros from across the map and still be able to instakill up close.

stb

It's not ARs as a class, though. It's Suros specifically. It has head-lock-on-mode that seems to ignore distance. I have been out scout-rifled by Suros at the range where the scout rifle should dominate it with impunity.

Deku Tree

IceBreaker Groups:

-The guy who sharded his due to stability. A reasonable point (but he could have kept it for ammo regen, or at the very least wait to shard it until you actually needed the shard)
-People with Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer and don't use their IB anymore, but still have/keep one and suggest getting one
-Zewone

What is the defining characteristic of this group?

R0ckman

You are not getting lucky with the extra damage shots

It kills super easily if you get one and is terrible if you dont

Not a fan
Hugely overrated gun
Thorn and last word are both better

A more perfect response, was in the middle of my lunch, but sums up my thoughts perfectly.

patchday

1. Because of lag
2. Someone is skipping around all leggy and they shotgun you
3. From behind rock because lag
4. Lag
5. Titan slam.

I think I have an easier time with Titan & Hunter since I play both classes. If you refer to Fist of Havoc- I think you just need to jump out of the way assuming the map isn't too cramped. It helps not playing Control which is full of badly laid out, cramped rooms optimized for shotguns. Unfortunately, Bungie keeps pushing pkers into Control game mode for Iron Banner

Now the Titan shoulder charge is tougher. But luckily, for the defender/victim, the shoulder charge ability will expire at a certain point. So you need to keep range on a charging titan if possible or just simply shotgun him. A shotgun blast (esp in Iron Banner) should one shot him easily

Shito

IceBreaker Groups:

-Zewone
That's pretty much spot on.
I currently have two, and hesitate to buy a third one: by this list, I take it my only option is to cave in. ^^

Karl2177

If only Xur gave refunds.

I'm just going to stick to my current strategy of building out the arsenal, it's working so far.

Fair enough. Even if there's an arc burn on the Nightfall, I'll keep the Ice Breaker around for the ammo regen.

What are you going to do if you get a Ghallarhorn drop? Will you replace Dragon's Breath with the 'Horn?

Navy Bean

It's not ARs as a class, though. It's Suros specifically. It has head-lock-on-mode that seems to ignore distance. I have been out scout-rifled by Suros at the range where the scout rifle should dominate it with impunity.

I can see that being annoying. I haven't tried using a scout in PvP. But I just don't seem to get frustrated when a Suros takes me down, unlike a fusion or shotgun.

1. Titan shoulder charge
3. Fist of Havoc
5. Blade Dancer

1. blink shotgun
2. fusion rifle from a mile away
3. homing grenades (axion, flux, fusion)
4. machine gun across the map
5. panic supers

Top Bottom