• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

I'm going to get two more Icebreakers to up chances of finally getting a Black Hammer.

giphy.gif

I don't normally requote myself for a new page, but I feel this is important. As someone who joins pubs and helps out new players every once in a while, I only ever look for Ice Breaker, and can tell if a group can live or die by that alone. Ice Breakers + light levels = odds of success

IceBreaker Groups:

-The guy who sharded his due to stability. A reasonable point (but he could have kept it for ammo regen, or at the very least wait to shard it until you actually needed the shard)
-People who suggest having three
-People who insist on having one, but three is overkill; use the vault
-People with Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer and don't use their IB anymore, but still have/keep one and suggest getting one
-Zewone

Ice Breaker is an important step in progressing with your character. Sure, if you got a Gjallarhorn and an assortment of sniper rifles, then you might not need IceBreaker all the time. But you can't easily get Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn. Right now, right here, Ice Breaker is available. And can be used to obtain Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn.

You want Ice Breaker at oracles in vault of glass
You want Ice Breaker at Knights against Crota, or against Orges
Ice Breaker is as useful or better than BH/GH for the following strikes: all of them

Ice Breaker saves glimmer with regenerating ammo. BH can easily run out so you hunt for more or use synth. GH eats snyth all day. I'm someone glad I don't have a GH because I save so much glimmer/synth on raids with pubs.

Maybe you have a good group where you use one synth and beat all raids on the first try. Other groups can fail for hours and spend 1 synth every 4 minutes, that's 15k glimmer per hour. Ice Breaker is a universal weapon that is great for all skill levels. BH/GH/Primary exotic works if you have the skill and a good team.

patchday

1. Blade Dancer
2. Blade Dancer
3. Blade Dancer
4. Blade Dancer
5. Sliding shotgun.

On my Hunter, I like to pop my super when I see an Arc user. Gunslinger will poof'em easy. Arc blade vs Arc Blade fights are fun. I always laugh when I win those

On my titan, I use Helm of Saint. when the arc blade user is about to enter, jump around the arc blade user and let them enter the bubble and get blinded. Their lockon should get broken and they should be easy to dispatch. But the defender titan would need the Helm of Saint probably or sticky grenade + shotty

I'm going to get two more Icebreakers to up chances of finally getting a Black Hammer.
ice breaker can get you into a pub crota kill group. pubs are level 30-31 and have unmaxed primaries and heavies, but can do fine if they have ice breaker, completely unleveled

anyone that thinks ice breaker isn't needed is very good at this game and also has a lot of lucky/good drops.

Coconut

Banned
On my Hunter, I like to pop my super when I see an Arc user. Gunslinger will poof'em easy. Arc blade vs Arc Blade fights are fun. I always laugh when I win those

On my titan, I use Helm of Saint. when the arc blade user is about to enter, jump around the arc blade user and let them enter the bubble and get blinded. Their lockon should get broken and they should be easy to dispatch. But the defender titan would need the Helm of Saint probably or sticky grenade + shotty

I like when BD fights end in a tie or a draw and both of you lose you BD energy.

SkylineRKR

IceBreaker Groups:

-The guy who sharded his due to stability. A reasonable point (but he could have kept it for ammo regen, or at the very least wait to shard it until you actually needed the shard)
-People who suggest having three
-People who insist on having one, but three is overkill; use the vault
-People with Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer and don't use their IB anymore, but still have/keep one and suggest getting one
-Zewone

Ice Breaker is an important step in progressing with your character. Sure, if you got a Gjallarhorn and an assortment of sniper rifles, then you might not need IceBreaker all the time. But you can't easily get Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn. Right now, right here, Ice Breaker is available. And can be used to obtain Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn.

You want Ice Breaker at oracles in vault of glass
You want Ice Breaker at Knights against Crota, or against Orges
Ice Breaker is as useful or better than BH/GH for the following strikes: all of them

Ice Breaker saves glimmer with regenerating ammo. BH can easily run out so you hunt for more or use synth. GH eats snyth all day. I'm someone glad I don't have a GH because I save so much glimmer/synth on raids with pubs.

Maybe you have a good group where you use one synth and beat all raids on the first try. Other groups can fail for hours and spend 1 synth every 4 minutes, that's 15k glimmer per hour. Ice Breaker is a universal weapon that is great for all skill levels. BH/GH/Primary exotic works if you have the skill and a good team.

Black Hammer is a boss killer. If you do well, you won't even use a single clip against Sepkis, Sekrion, Archon priest and Atheon. Ogres we get once or twice, I use BH on them and reserve my exotic slot for GH. I use BH on the knights as well (should take only 2 shots for one), and it has an advantage on Oversoul. Green ammo tends to drop at a reasonable rate, but popping one 250 glimmer special synth isn't hurting that much (I don't think I did it yet though).

What I dislike about IB is that you'll be without shots a lot of the times, no reload but just no shot at all. And from there its one shot every 5 seconds.

Ofcourse IB is still a must, and only a fool doesn't buy it right now. Its still the perfect weapon on oracles if you take them on via spawn. Its one of those exotics thats usable right out of the gate. I only started to upgrade my 331 one last week. You can recharge BH with it too. But outside of Oracles I don't use it anymore. In strikes I don't snipe that much, except on bosses where BH comes in.

rNilla

As someone who joins pubs and helps out new players every once in a while, I only ever look for Ice Breaker, and can tell if a group can live or die by that alone. Ice Breakers + light levels = odds of success

This mentality is one of the main reasons I dislike the Ice Breaker hype. Given the context I understand what you're saying but there's more than one way to play this game and it's entirely possible to be successful in all things without Ice Breaker.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ice breaker can get you into a pub crota kill group. pubs are level 30-31 and have unmaxed primaries and heavies, but can do fine if they have ice breaker, completely unleveled

anyone that thinks ice breaker isn't needed is very good at this game and also has a lot of lucky/good drops.
I don't know if I qualify for your criteria but it isn't needed. no individual weapon is needed. ice breaker makes lots of scenarios much easier though.

E92 M3

It better be OP! I didn't spend 12 hours looking for the Husk for nothing!

It's gonna be shitty.

Thinking back, it's crazy that Nami-exoticmachine-kaze had to grind for little old husk of the pit.

My only hope for it was a super insane fast reload to allow a constant stream of bullets so it can be used against crota to prevent shield regen

Gotta choose between stability or ultra fast reload ;)

Most annoying ways to die in IB/Crucible:

1.) Lag

Everything else has a counter.

You are not getting lucky with the extra damage shots

It kills super easily if you get one and is terrible if you dont

Not a fan
Hugely overrated gun
Thorn and last word are both better

HMoon perk isn't about luck so much as probability. You will get the perks to proc a certain percentage of the time, but you never count on it or assume it will. Always treat it as a bonus and still go for 3 hit kills (2 bodies + 1 head, 2 heads + 1 body or 3 heads). Range is fantastic, same as Thorn now since HM was mini-nerfed, Impact is obviously excellent and the perks will save your ass many times even though you play as if they won't.

HMoon is a top tier PvP exotic, not overrated at all. I suck with TLW but I know it's not overrated at all, just not my preferred play style.

I bought one first time, got one as a drop, then bought a third today. I like having it on each character because no matter what I am swapping in and out of, nightfall clear, weekly, daily, raid, etc. I can perform fine with those alts without having to swap any gear by just having the icebreaker on them and the one fully leveled main leg weapon on each. Don't have to worry about ammo packs or anything. Just jump in, equip IB and get shit done. It is the weapon that should have, "Multitool" after its name.

Black Hammer is a boss killer. If you do well, you won't even use a single clip against Sepkis, Sekrion, Archon priest and Atheon. Ogres we get once or twice, I use BH on them and reserve my exotic slot for GH. I use BH on the knights as well (should take only 2 shots for one), and it has an advantage on Oversoul. Green ammo tends to drop at a reasonable rate, but popping one 250 glimmer special synth isn't hurting that much (I don't think I did it yet though).

What I dislike about IB is that you'll be without shots a lot of the times, no reload but just no shot at all. And from there its one shot every 5 seconds.

Ofcourse IB is still a must, and only a fool doesn't buy it right now. Its still the perfect weapon on oracles if you take them on via spawn. You can recharge BH with it too. But outside of Oracles I don't use it. In strikes I don't snipe that much, except on bosses where BH comes in.
"-People with Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer and don't use their IB anymore, but still have/keep one and suggest getting one"

Born2Live

You are not getting lucky with the extra damage shots

It kills super easily if you get one and is terrible if you dont

Not a fan
Hugely overrated gun
Thorn and last word are both better

Thought it was just me. I always go back to Vex as every time I use Hawkmoon I get outgunned.

This mentality is one of the main reasons I dislike the Ice Breaker hype. Given the context I understand what you're saying but there's more than one way to play this game and it's entirely possible to be successful in all things without Ice Breaker.
with the current way people do oracles in vog, how? and if everything you have is underleveled against crota and ir yut, how?

hope someone on the team has IB or GH to carry you.

which is available in a store for purchase right now?

patchday

Ofcourse IB is still a must, and only a fool doesn't buy it right now. Its still the perfect weapon on oracles if you take them on via spawn. Its one of those exotics thats usable right out of the gate. I only started to upgrade my 331 one last week. You can recharge BH with it too. But outside of Oracles I don't use it. In strikes I don't snipe that much, except on bosses where BH comes in.

Black hammer is one of the reasons I purchased the expansion this morning. The other reason was the Glasshouse helm being available at Xur. Not concerned bout hitting L32 but I do want to hit Crota raid for the BH drop :) After seeing folks melt HM Atheon with BH I decided its a must have

Mindlog

Group?
Who needs a group to kill Crota?
:somepoohrelatedgif:

Not needing to Vault IB is a pretty big deal. I'm trading two individual slots for one big slot. Every character is almost full of weapons and so is my vault. Trying to Tetris everything together so I have enough space for Hard Crota primaries.

Also still have something around ∞ Strange Coins.
Should have bought more Efrideet's' '' last time around. No need to spend motes on anything other than rerolls anymore.

"-People with Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer and don't use their IB anymore, but still have/keep one and suggest getting one"

This is definitely the group I fall into, especially since they removed the broken Hive major perk. BH+GH=OP, especially for every CE phase but the darkness pit.

Edit: Also VoC + Praedyth's Revenge or even BHam dominate hard VoG oracles. This phase is so easy to cheese anyway, finding enough damage w/ or w/o IceB is a non-issue. You just have to watch 7 oracle spawn points with 6 guardians, don't need to kill a single add.

patchday

with the current way people do oracles in vog, how? and if everything you have is underleveled against crota and ir yut, how?

hope someone on the team has IB or GH to carry you.

which is available in a store for purchase right now?

Icebreaker. I like using my praedth's sniper in Crucible/IronBanner along with Ballerhorn (w/wolfpack perk unlocked ofc)

SkylineRKR

nm, I see i'm another kind of people :)

But not using IB also frees up space for Vex, Suros, MIDA...

My personal favourite PvE loadout is Fatebringer, Black Hammer (Light of the Abyss), Gjallarhorn.

This is definitely the group I fall into, especially since they removed the broken Hive major perk. BH+GH=OP, especially for every CE phase but the darkness pit.
I'm not skilled enough to main BH, and I don't have a GH. I keep missing BH shots then I'm out of ammo. I only 100% use BH on spider walker. I still ice breaker nexus and sepkis (I can BH the stunlockable sepkis on easy strikes, not the current heroic/nightfall version that doesn't flinch)

Pumped about getting Obsidian Mind and having an Ice Breaker on all my characters.

Now I just need to get them to 32! "Smart loot" my ass :/

I currently have only 1 character in Destiny. How many IceBreakers should I buy?

At least two. I got an Ice Breaker as a crucible reward and dismantled it since I already had a maxed one and was just running one character at a time. Now I'm running two and regret dismantling it every time I have to go to the tower to swap weapons.

Top Bottom