• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

7TGQEyv.gif

I currently have only 1 character in Destiny. How many IceBreakers should I buy?
1 for the character you have, and 2 for the eventual characters that you'll start

black hammer + gjallarhorn > bullet sponge
I cannot WAIT to try out my new toys.
excited-ron-swansonjxsqr.gif

I love how I'm in an Icebreaker category unto myself. :D

Really, to me weapon handling >>> any other perks. It's as simple as that. I want a gun to be great to use first, the rest is gravy. I thought the handling on Icebreaker was garbage (again, my fault for not checking it out first), and no perk was going to make me enjoy using it. I realize that's a minority position, but I wanted to at least try and clarify.
You know you're a trouble-maker, just admit it.

Bogeypop

lol I should take it as a sign telling me to gtfo and get some food.... and I thought I read you were forsaking the train now that it (and NFall) have delivered all your heart's desires...

I'll definitely Roc it up tonight/this weekend sometime, but I do have that IB buff still running now...

I still play it for fun. noomi and TKRunningRiot are always done for some Rocs super late though so we only get 4 or so before everyone has to go.

Got Thorn. Super excited to knock that one off my list.

The rate of fire is higher than I realized it would be. Target acquisition seems a little weaker than some (less headshot magnetism), but I guess the DOT will make up for that.

Alright, now that I have both I don't need to be insecure. Which do you like better, Thorn or Hawkmoon?

Hawkmoon. <3

Rubenov

This is at least the 3rd AR I've heard drop, but only Unknown is a lucky enough punk to get the sniper (with a damn good perk roll to boot). What a jerk.

The AoE is crazy but you can shoot them and trip mines (this post is mostly just a PSA, not directed at you specifically since many people know about this already).

What are you talking about! I got the sniper to drop two days ago. Rerolled with Final Round.

I had the AR drop too, plus Rank 5 plus bought the rocket launcher and rerolled with tracking.

rNilla

So I purchased my first exotic helmet from xur. Do I then need to upgrade it through him?

This has come up at least a couple times today. It's pretty bad that the game does not make this clear (par for the course I suppose).

It's unfortunate how many things are confusing or poorly / not at all explained unless you closely follow information external to the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I purchased my first exotic helmet from xur. Do I then need to upgrade it through him?
There's no longer anywhere in the game you can acquire an exotic and have it still need to be upgraded. Bounties, engrams, Xur, CE, VoG, all give 331 attack/36 light exotics. If you get something for the first time, it's current.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't normally requote myself for a new page, but I feel this is important. As someone who joins pubs and helps out new players every once in a while, I only ever look for Ice Breaker, and can tell if a group can live or die by that alone. Ice Breakers + light levels = odds of success

IceBreaker Groups:

-The guy who sharded his due to stability. A reasonable point (but he could have kept it for ammo regen, or at the very least wait to shard it until you actually needed the shard)
-People who suggest having three
-People who insist on having one, but three is overkill; use the vault
-People with Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer and don't use their IB anymore, but still have/keep one and suggest getting one
-Zewone

Ice Breaker is an important step in progressing with your character. Sure, if you got a Gjallarhorn and an assortment of sniper rifles, then you might not need IceBreaker all the time. But you can't easily get Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn. Right now, right here, Ice Breaker is available. And can be used to obtain Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn.

You want Ice Breaker at oracles in vault of glass
You want Ice Breaker at Knights against Crota, or against Orges
Ice Breaker is as useful or better than BH/GH for the following strikes: all of them

Ice Breaker saves glimmer with regenerating ammo. BH can easily run out so you hunt for more or use synth. GH eats snyth all day. I'm someone glad I don't have a GH because I save so much glimmer/synth on raids with pubs.

Maybe you have a good group where you use one synth and beat all raids on the first try. Other groups can fail for hours and spend 1 synth every 4 minutes, that's 15k glimmer per hour. Ice Breaker is a universal weapon that is great for all skill levels. BH/GH/Primary exotic works if you have the skill and a good team.

I see one mistake in your post ;)

Enemies drops a lot of Heavy Ammo... most times my Ghorn is full with 7 shots... even on Atheon when I use all my ammo the next round I have more two or three shots because I killed supplicants or enemies in portal dropped them.

You always have one shot that save your life.

Ghorn for LIFE.

PS. I did VoG Hard today without use Ice Breaker... and there are a lot of weapons that kills Oracles faster... way faster... I don't like to use Ice Breaker because it runs of ammo too fast and the regen seems to get slow after patches.

I also like how people shoot at a Titan bubble and spawn tons or orbs for the enemy team. When I first saw that perk, I thought that it would be good for PvE but people would learn in PvP........nope.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I regretted it dearly, unfortunately. I didn't check its stability before buying, which is rock bottom and without a perk to jack it up, just make it more predictable. I only use weapons with very high stability. I just really, really hate recoil. Not just in Destiny, but as a gameplay mechanic; it's the reason I only use single-shot weapons, and pick those with very high stability. I tried using Icebreaker on the daily and could barely land a shot, and never landed a follow up shot.

So not only did it run counter to my elemental damage strategy it was a weapon I hated using. :\

Dismantled. At least I got shard out of it.

This blows my mind.

joecanada

Really, to me weapon handling >>> any other perks. It's as simple as that. I want a gun to be great to use first, the rest is gravy. I thought the handling on Icebreaker was garbage (again, my fault for not checking it out first), and no perk was going to make me enjoy using it. I realize that's a minority position, but I wanted to at least try and clarify.
The stability has to be gimped due to ridiculous damage. It's quite easy to use just kicks up mostly... Can stunlock any low level boss with ease. Phogoth, archon priest, etc
I'll be using it in IB this weekend

The catch here is you were rocking Armor of Light (my only choice, to be honest). That makes you very very hard to kill in the bubble. Now if you were rocking Weapons or Blessing of Light, then someone could easily enter the Thunderdome and best you handily.

I was always curious as to why people would enter the Defender Bubble, but certainly past experience was they could enter and they could defeat the Titan, as that Titan was likely using the other skill modifier.

So, to all of those Titans who don't rock Armor of Light: Keep on keepin' on! It gives players a false sense of security to enter my Thunderdome!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Got Thorn. Super excited to knock that one off my list.

The rate of fire is higher than I realized it would be. Target acquisition seems a little weaker than some (less headshot magnetism), but I guess the DOT will make up for that.

Alright, now that I have both I don't need to be insecure. Which do you like better, Thorn or Hawkmoon?

Thorn.

You're insane.

stb

Have 2. Need 4 more and maybe an alt or two:

Paging: Dave_6, captscience , Mrgamer, babyghost853 (+ friend): we steamrolled HM VoG last week. Wanna do it again tomorrow night?

Thursday's my no Destiny night, but does anyone want to run HM VoG and CE back-to-back Friday night any time after 8pm Eastern?

The guys listed above get preference, but please add yourself as an alt if you're interested (odds are all 5 won't make it).

1) stb (PSN Berried_treasurE - 31/Titan)
2) Dave_6
3) Mrgamer ?
4) (quote and add your GAF + PSN)
5) (quote and add your GAF + PSN)
6) (quote and add your GAF + PSN)
a1) (quote and add your GAF + PSN)
a2) (quote and add your GAF + PSN)

Enemies drops a lot of Heavy Ammo... most times my Ghorn is full with 7 shots... even on Atheon when I use all my ammo the next round I have more two or three shots because I killed supplicants or enemies in portal dropped them.

You already have one shot that save your life.

Ghorn for LIFE.
yeah ghorn's great. it's not being discussed because it hsouldn't have to be discussed. it's #1 flat out. if you can finish atheon first try you're fine. if you're in a group that fails constantly, the person with the ghorn will take the toll for other's failures.

PS. I did VoG Hard today without use Ice Breaker... and there are a lot of weapons that kills Oracles faster... way faster.

"oracles" doesn't mean the oracles at atheon. and "current method of oracles" doesn't mean you're at any range closer than "really far far away without any access to pick up ammo unless you have the shoot ammo to pick it up perk"

Namikaze1

The catch here is you were rocking Armor of Light (my only choice, to be honest). That makes you very very hard to kill in the bubble. Now if you were rocking Weapons or Blessing of Light, then someone could easily enter the Thunderdome and best you handily.

I was always curious as to why people would enter the Defender Bubble, but certainly past experience was they could enter and they could defeat the Titan, as that Titan was likely using the other skill modifier.

So, to all of those Titans who don't rock Armor of Light: Keep on keepin' on! It gives players a false sense of security to enter my Thunderdome!
I always go Armor of Light when doing PvP. Always. And sometimes Blessing of Light.

Trace

Banned

I don't know why more people don't just destroy the bubble. Golden gun/Nova bomb can easily kill the bubble and anyone inside.

The lag is hampering any enjoyment in IB.

It's legit unplayable for me. I'll shoot someone point blank and the damage won't even register. I have like a 0.2 KD ratio every game when I'm part of a fireteam. As soon as I'm on my own and not in a fireteam, lag goes away and it plays normally again. Obnoxious.

joecanada

You always have one shot that save your life.

Ghorn for LIFE.

PS. I did VoG Hard today without use Ice Breaker... and there are a lot of weapons that kills Oracles faster... way faster... I don't like to use Ice Breaker because it runs of ammo too fast and the regen seems to get slow after patches.

He didn't say it was quickest oracle killer he said you would want it. The amount of time I'm sniping Oracles and suddenly all I hear are icebreakers and two or three others saying " I'm Out of ammo " happens all the time.

And you vastly overestimate heavy drops. I was in ce with four guys just 2 nights ago, we did the whole bridge, not one person got one heavy ammo drop

ethomaz

Banned
"oracles" doesn't mean the oracles at atheon. and "current method of oracles" doesn't mean you're at any range close than "really far far away without any access to pick up ammo unless you have the shoot ammo to pick it up perk"
I did the Oracle part without Ice Breaker... just used my new sniper that deal even more damage than IB in one char and the other I used the Pradedyth's Revenge.

Everything was fine.

To be fair the IB left me without nothing to do a lot of times... after the 6 shots it takes to much to back one shot... so if I need to kill Oracles I don't rely on IB... you kill one and need to change to primary to take the other (or ask help for your friends finish the Oracle you couldn't because the IB).

Greenymac

You're insane.

I agree with him...I prefer P&T, The Supremacy or The Chosen... I just like the Icebreaker for what it does. (ammo regen) Otherwise in a Tense Situation its One of the above mentioned Snipers or Praedyths for me.

Edit: But I also have 3 Ice breakers, the usefullness of the ammo regen is real.

He didn't say it was quickest oracle killer he said you would want it. The amount of time I'm sniping Oracles and suddenly all I hear are icebreakers and two or three others saying " I'm Out of ammo " happens all the time.

And you vastly overestimate heavy drops. I was in ce with four guys just 2 nights ago, we did the whole bridge, not one person got one heavy ammo drop
I have groups (on gaf, I love you gaf) that can do hard vog and ce without wiping, they get heavy ammo SOMETIME during the whole run, and GH their way to victory. awesome. 3x CE in 1h30min? awesome. hm Vog 40min? great!

then I spend the rest of the week in pub groups 2 hours on crota then giving up. 40 minutes on crota then giving up. 1 wipe at conflux, 2 wipes at oracles, then 3 wipes at Templar then giving up.

Top Bottom