• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

DNAbro

Destiny goal for the week is to max out my crucible score for the first time. And get to level 31.

Also yay for fixing the Bridge encounter. I don't understand why people want the raid to be less fun by cheesing it.

Even without the despawn, I wonder if Ogres still show up after 1 or 2 make it across. If so, it will still be easy to clear without everyone making it across.

Destiny goal for the week is to max out my crucible score for the first time. And get to level 31.

Also yay for fixing the Bridge encounter. I don't understand why people want the raid to be less fun by cheesing it.

Because the end game is a loot game based on RNG. This shapes player behavior to do whatever is most efficient over fun 99% of the time.

At least what people perceive as efficient. Results may vary.

I don't care about cheeses for HM tomorrow, we were always going to do it legit anyway. I even expect Bungie to not acknowledge any "world's first" that wasn't done legit.

Hard mode comes out tomorrow right? o_O

Edit: That fresh page pressure >_<

How dare you let us down with a flimsy top of the page post like that! Only the very best posts allowed at the top! Stuff like me saying "The grind is real, guys".... real in depth like that, see?!

EL CUCO

Yup, considering people can solo the whole thing, the no respawning is hardly a penalty. Whatever new tricks they throw at us will be easily overcome by a veteran group. I expect it to be about as Hard as a full team of 31's taking on normal mode.
I'm guessing the changes we'll see is a few more Wizrards, Vestiges, Shielded Knights (bring your Murmur or Arc weapon of choice), and no chalice (or limited chalice). Maybe we have to kill a Gatekeeper to access the chalice.

And no revives ofcourse.

hydruxo

Because most people are lazy and just want their loot as quick as possible. It's a shame but that's the way it is.

I don't care about cheeses for HM tomorrow, we were always going to do it legit anyway. I even expect Bungie to not acknowledge any "world's first" that wasn't done legit.

How dare you let us down with a flimsy top of the page post like that! Only the very best posts allowed at the top! Stuff like me saying "The grind is real, guys".... real in depth like that, see?!

You are top of page police from now on. We have standards here now dammit.

DNAbro

Because the end game is a loot game based on RNG. This shapes player behavior to do whatever is most efficient over fun 99% of the time.

At least what people perceive as efficient. Results may vary.

I don't understand some people's mentality. I understand cheesing it solo if you had no other way, but I level up so I can experience the content. When I got to 30 I was excited because I could finally do the raid. I want to get to level 32 so I can do the hard raid and get cool things. I feel like too many people forget the game is supposed to be fun.

They should rename the first part to the slaughtering for HM. I have a feeling that's exactly what it's going to be.

I'll try harder for a glorious first post next time :p

zewone

The rock is not a glitch. Maybe it´s an exploit. Maybe.

Why would they "fix" that?

Because they fixed the lamps exploding sending you up that path so they obviously don't want people to take the shortcut.

The rock gives you option to just jump up and take the shortcut; why wouldn't they implement a way to prevent that?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/93839918

Funny.

Your fireteam is sorted for maximum DPS. You're rested and caffeinated. You and your friends are ready for action, glory, and (fates willing) some killer loot.

Procedures for being among the very first to access the Hard Mode for Crota's End:

1. Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Bungie

2. Open your Destiny application on the console of your choosing

3. Wait at the opening login screen

4. Stay tuned for Twitter updates, starting at 10AM Pacific

5. Once we've given the green light, sign in and set Destination for Moon

6. Hard Mode is Crota's End, Level 33

NOTE: If you are already signed in, you can try to return to Orbit from a Destination. However, the best plan of attack is listed above.

Any questions? [Yes, we know you want bigger vaults. And Guhjallerhorn...]

haha exactly, glad you understand. Were you able to get any Atheon kills done? Just let me know if you need people for a team to bust him up.

Not yet, haven't been able to play again. I will be on tonight. Will let you know if I need help, I will see if others need kill first. Thanks for the cp though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm about 34 minutes into the podcast. Great discussion so far! I so wish I was a part of that discussion because I wanted to say so much in regards to matchmaking.
Thanks for listening! This was a good read and you have some ideas I think are right on the money. Your post reminded me of two points I don't think I remembered to mention in the heat of the debate at all, but I think are pretty relevant:
  • I know I brought up the newbie raids in another context in there somewhere, I think on the topic of rerunning VoG vs. CE, but I really wanted to mention it in the sense of matchmaking... and by that I mean: I run, on a regular basis, full raids with groups comprised mainly of first-timers and/or people who have done the raid once or twice. In these runs, everyone knows exactly what they're getting into, and by nature they include someone who knows the raid by heart and can lead and improvise with issues that come up. And yet these raids can still sometimes end up getting stuck for multiple hours at a tricky spot; there are a lot of variables from group class composition to weapon breakdown to level distribution, all of which can be overcome, but not through sheer force of will- you actually have to account for where errors are occurring, make adjustments, consider reassigning roles, etc.

In these cases, everyone in the party needs to be extremely patient, and someone needs to offer positive reinforcement and keep morale up- because while from my perspective, I can tell we're making big strides in progress- even if we don't necessarily do more damage to the boss, or people still die- from the perspective of someone who's never beaten the boss before at all, it can seem a lot like they never will after 10+ failures. Can you expect that of any one of 6 blindly matchmade teammates, let alone all of them? The feeling of satisfaction when getting a kill with such a group is incredibly rewarding. But more than anything else, it's these experiences which solidified my stance on matchmaking* for the raid. "It won't affect you" is so, so far from the point- I'm totally looking at it from the perspective of a wide-eyed Guardian who beams down to the Moon looking for a fun experience and winds up in a hellacious clusterfuck of impatience and misunderstanding. Especially Crota, which can be a <30 minute affair for an even mildly coordinated team with a 32 sword, but last 3+ hours if just a few variables are changed. They might come away from this thinking they got a bad group, sure- but they also might come away thinking the game is bad, or too hard, or too confusing- whereas I don't want raids made any easier or tutorialized.

*Whenever I think of matchmaking for the raid, it's "blind" (unfiltered) matchmaking. Every criterion/caveat you add for queuing (must have completed raid twice, must have mic, must be level 31, etc.) will increase the % success rate of the group but decrease the number of players who can benefit from the system in the first place. Especially if we're talking about adding this for players to get INTO the raid, these are counterintuitive.
  • For Nightfalls, any kind of matchmaking addition, a vote-kick system like you've described is CRUCIAL. This is because Nightfalls invite a scenario which could be uniquely infuriating given the wrong group... namely, if one or more players goes AFK and the other two die... there's no restart, there's no wipe and go to orbit, you just have to SIT there. In other words an AFK jerk can literally put a Nightfall group in Limbo, unable to either finish or restart, in exactly the way they can't for a (matchmade) playlist strike. This kind of behavior needs to be accounted for, because it will always exist.

zewone

It probably elicits an eye-roll from Bungie, but it is hardly game breaking for the encounter. Saves a few minutes at most. The hiding rock at the exit is more of an exploit than the jumping one.

Hm? They obviously have an issue with it or they wouldn't have patched the lamps.

The shortcut is ridiculously quick and easy. You are right though that the rocks at the bridge are another issue and what make the bridge forming in particular a joke.

hydruxo

It probably elicits an eye-roll from Bungie, but it is hardly game breaking for the encounter. Saves a few minutes at most. The hiding rock at the exit is more of an exploit than the jumping one.

I disagree, it does break the encounter. It's the same thing as getting blasted by the lamp up to the next section in that it stops the thralls from spawning once you get up there. You literally just have to walk to the end and there's only one Knight to deal with or run past.

!&!&@&!))&!& o_O 8fy80y)!)!))!

There was a Universal Remote at my Post Master! I had no idea! I am legitimately excited about this! (Edit: also my 6th Vex)

tumblr_inline_n84ok9lIRR1sxajiw.jpg

cilonen

Thanks Remath & Jay. That was more intense than anticipated! Ruin Wings rarely giving me very few heavy drops.

.... And straight into maintenance.

I'm guessing the changes we'll see is a few more Wizrards, Vestiges, Shielded Knights (bring your Murmur or Arc weapon of choice), and no chalice (or limited chalice). Maybe we have to kill a Gatekeeper to access the chalice.

And no revives ofcourse.

Heres what I'm guessing:

1) No revives.

2) More knights during lantern "walk". Wizards during the "hold" part. Quicker lanterns.

3) Oversoul during the Bridge part. Activating out of nowhere.

4) Gatekeepers during Crota fight.

5) Oversoul activating out of nowhere during Crota fight.

6) Chalice will disappear after a while beeing held. it will reappear during the same fight. Safe room will not be safe anymore somehow.

Not sure how they plan to "change" deathsinger and shrieker corridor besides throwing more enemies at us tho.

zewone

!&!&@&!))&!& o_O 8fy80y)!)!))!

There was a Universal Remote at my Post Master! I had no idea! I am legitimately excited about this!

tumblr_inline_n84ok9lIRR1sxajiw.jpg

Hahaha, dude!

I was missing 4th Horseman and Universal Remote to complete my collection.

I got 4th Horseman as a drop in Skirmish last night and this morning I got UR from the Gorgon chest and I was freaking out over arguably the shittiest exotic.

Congrats.

Future

I don't understand some people's mentality. I understand cheesing it solo if you had no other way, but I level up so I can experience the content. When I got to 30 I was excited because I could finally do the raid. I want to get to level 32 so I can do the hard raid and get cool things. I feel like too many people forget the game is supposed to be fun.

It's also because players are allowed to attempt the raid at low levels they have no business trying at. So the only way to win if you are trying at low level is to cheese if you can.

Hm? They obviously have an issue with it or they wouldn't have patched the lamps.

The shortcut is ridiculously quick and easy. You are right though that the rocks at the bridge are another issue and what make the bridge forming in particular a joke.

I disagree, it does break the encounter. It's the same thing as getting blasted by the lamp up to the next section in that it stops the thralls from spawning once you get up there. You literally just have to walk to the end and there's only one Knight to deal with or run past.

I guess removing the rock is harder than adding baby bumpers. Maybe they are delaying that patch because resources are deployed adding more vault space or fixing heavy ammo bug right?!?

Because they fixed the lamps exploding sending you up that path so they obviously don't want people to take the shortcut.

The rock gives you option to just jump up and take the shortcut; why wouldn't they implement a way to prevent that?

The explosion would let you skip most of the lantern section and would leave you with no enemies most of the way. To use the rock you still need to do the whole thing.

That's a big difference.

I think the jumping one was worse.

The only thing I dont understand is why the knights wont spawn if you are on top of the rock.

Sulik2

Because most people are lazy and just want their loot as quick as possible. It's a shame but that's the way it is.

I also found Crota's End to be a poorly designed raid that was no where near as fun to run as VoG. The crazy lantern run at the start is the only part that felt good. Rest of the raid is a mess. So that influenced me wanting to cheese it.

Jinjo

So after not getting decent new primaries since the DLC and farming the shit out of IB and Gatekeepers to get three Lashes on my characters now the game drops me a new Vanquisher. Increased accuracy while hipfire, stability and grenadier. Not too bad.

Top Bottom