• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

joecanada

Dat reading comprehension. How the fuck can't people read it saying 'press square to restart?' God damn it

im still not exactly sure how it works , they don't tell you exactly how to do it, at all. from the mission select screen it says press square to restart, then you press square and it goes to the mission launch screen, but then I believe you have to press square again to actually restart and it asks you?
why wouldn't they just put "square to restart " on the actual screen where you use it... makes no sense and I don't blame the player.

• I know I brought up the newbie raids in another context in there somewhere, I think on the topic of rerunning VoG vs. CE, but I really wanted to mention it in the sense of matchmaking... and by that I mean: I run, on a regular basis, full raids with groups comprised mainly of first-timers and/or people who have done the raid once or twice. In these runs, everyone knows exactly what they're getting into, and by nature they include someone who knows the raid by heart and can lead and improvise with issues that come up. And yet these raids can still sometimes end up getting stuck for multiple hours at a tricky spot; there are a lot of variables from group class composition to weapon breakdown to level distribution, all of which can be overcome, but not through sheer force of will- you actually have to account for where errors are occurring, make adjustments, consider reassigning roles, etc.
When are you running your newbie raid. I've run VoG twice and haven't run CE yet. I would love to get involved with a good group of folks that raid weekly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Because the end game is a loot game based on RNG. This shapes player behavior to do whatever is most efficient over fun 99% of the time.

At least what people perceive as efficient. Results may vary.
It doesn't explicitly have to do with the type of game, or RNG. The insinuation that PLR-tendencies wouldn't exist if rewards were guaranteed is laughable. Citation needed on that 99% by the way! :p
I don't understand some people's mentality. I understand cheesing it solo if you had no other way, but I level up so I can experience the content. When I got to 30 I was excited because I could finally do the raid. I want to get to level 32 so I can do the hard raid and get cool things. I feel like too many people forget the game is supposed to be fun.
"the nature of cheese" would be a good podcast topic for a week.

I've seen an enormous number of explanations (some of them thinly-veiled justifications) as to why people cheese; in fact there was like an escalation-post-war on the Destiny subreddit recently ("no, this is why people cheese," with the paraphased concept that "cheesing is a justified reaction to the game's inherently unfair design" getting a lot of traction). This is a topic I've watched closely in many many game's I've played a lot of and researched as well, and I have some thoughts on it that could be valuable.
When are you running your newbie raid. I've run VoG twice and haven't run CE yet. I would love to get involved with a good group of folks that raid weekly.
They're on Thursdays, and I switch off between the two raids. This week is a VoG newbie raid, but send me a PM if you want to call an early slot for next week's CE.

Wish there were more days in the week!

spyder_ur

I feel like people are probably overthinking what changes there will be to hard mode. At least, if VoG is any indication.

I'm expecting some changes with Oversoul or the Sword at Crota (judging by armor perks) but not that much else. Guess we'll see, though.

zewone

The explosion would let you skip most of the lantern section and would leave you with no enemies most of the way. To use the rock you still need to do the whole thing.

That's a big difference.

I think the jumping one was worse.
You sound unaware that the rock you used for exploding to the shortcut from the lamps can actually be used to jump up to where you used to with the last exploit.

It is in fact easier to do than the exploding glitch and it cuts the same amount of time/length from the encounter.

No more de-spawning Bridge cheese!

They still haven't "fix" the rock jumping one though so you guys still have that one. :p

I had a feeling Bungie was going to patch that soon. I'm glad the team I regularly raid with prefer doing it legit. All we have to do is just adjust to whatever new mechanics are being introduce tomorrow.

Good, it spawns too many adds when there is a six person fire team, and it's a mess for the lone guardian that has to go over. Much less stress, and almost as fast to do it legit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you can still sword across , solo. Despawning enemies is of little concern. where there's a will, there's a cheese.
I do not particularly consider either method of soloing the bridge (either making the chasm sword-dash/jump or slowly generating the bridge by hotfooting the plate) to be cheese. Both require a degree of skill which does not make the encounter substantially easier over a legit attempt, and both end with the solo player legitimately tackling the enemy spawns on the far side with no recourse on death.

If the presence of other infinitely spawning enemies doesn't make the solo approach from either method (but mainly the latter of course) harder for you, then more power to you. I can't claim the same for myself, though I do assume it won't stop any skilled players so much as merely act as an extra hurdle to overcome.

It doesn't explicitly have to do with the type of game, or RNG. The insinuation that PLR-tendencies wouldn't exist if rewards were guaranteed is laughable. Citation needed on that 99% by the way! :p

I pulled the stat out of my ass. Anecdotally, I have played with tons of people on this game and I have yet to find anyone put their foot down on cheesing content. More often then not it is expected.

Silav101

Am starting up at least 2x nightfall and weekly heroic. Anyone is welcome.

Psn is Silav101

Edit lol.full. Will post again if spots clear are open.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I pulled the stat out of my ass. Anecdotally, I have played with tons of people on this game and I have yet to find anyone put their foot down on cheesing content. More often then not it is expected.
anecdotally, I literally never cheesed Atheon or Crota a single time. do we cancel each other out, or what? :p (statistical analysis: no)

anyway, I do assume the % of the time that cheese is leveraged in raids to be very high, because its use substantially lowers (or eradicates) the skill bar to be cleared by each member of a fireteam. I think 99% is a bit on the extreme side though. other crazies like me are out there.
They can't just give everyone the Ghorn without nerfing it significantly =/
wha?

E92 M3

anecdotally, I literally never cheesed Atheon or Crota a single time. do we cancel each other out, or what? :p (statistical analysis: no)

anyway, I do assume the % of the time that cheese is leveraged in raids to be very high, because its use substantially lowers (or eradicates) the skill bar to be cleared by each member of a fireteam. I think 99% is a bit on the extreme side though. other crazies like me are out there.

wha?

That quoted Bungie post said they know everyone wants the Gjallarhorn lol.

Ambitious

So after not getting decent new primaries since the DLC and farming the shit out of IB and Gatekeepers to get three Lashes on my characters now the game drops me a new Vanquisher. Increased accuracy while hipfire, stability and grenadier. Not too bad.

Hey Jinjo:

bittersteelueu4w.png

Bittersteel! Goes perfectly with Obsidian Mind.
It's a bit too close to Chatterwhite though, so I hope to get The Nowhere and/or The Hanged Man too.

Wouldn't mind a second Bittersteel either. It looks perfect on a Hunter.

So should I wait to grab the first Crota chest until Hard mode goes up, or are the chests not going to double up?

Nobody knows. If VoG is a judge then the two "materials only" chests will not double up (first chest and 2nd chest in shrieker hall). The materials drops from DSinger that have an exotic + class armor chance will double up, like the left Gorgon chest.

Jinjo

Hey Jinjo:

bittersteelueu4w.png

It's a bit too close to Chatterwhite though, so I hope to get The Nowhere and/or The Hanged Man too.

Nice! You finally got it! I gave up after like 10 ranks or so spread out of all my characters lol. Clearly I am just not worthy.

Feels good to be playing another game right now after last week's grindfest. Basicly all my non-planned free time went to Destiny.

Nobody knows. If VoG is a judge then the two "materials only" chests will not double up (first chest and 2nd chest in shrieker hall). The materials drops from DSinger that have an exotic + class armor chance will double up, like the left Gorgon chest.

Gotcha. I don't expect it to double up but I might as well wait until tomorrow.

The CIO of my company plays Destiny and he and I have gotten to talking about it every week. Today he just talked to me about how he cheese Crota's End every time, whereas the weekly group I run through we always do it legit. Well, he's in for a rude awakening with tomorrow's patch!

I don't mind cheesing, once you have completed the task legitimately, but when you just cheese from the get-go it just baffles my mind.

zewone

Hey Jinjo:

bittersteelueu4w.png

You're going to want Revenant. I just put it on my Warlock with Obsidian Mind and it's glorious. It's the blackest shader there is with very few white areas.

Pickman

Going to be running HM Vog before I do anything tonight, and sacrificing a floppy disk to RNGesus beforehand in hopes of getting a Fatebringer for the Nightfall.

E92 M3

because everyone does, lol. But they're neither giving it away nor nerfing it :p

We'll see where this Gjallarhorn party goes, but as of now I hope you are right. As much I want certain weapons, it just wouldn't feel the same to buy them from Xur or have easy access. The feeling of euphoria when you get a good drop is like no other. I was screaming when the Black Hammer dropped for me - wanted it as soon as the raid released.

Top Bottom