• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Steroyd

Sweet tap dancing christ point A has such a stupid advantage in the Anomoly I'm surprised we won with the team holding it through most of the match.

zewone

We'll see where this Gjallarhorn party goes, but as of now I hope you are right. As much I want certain weapons, it just wouldn't feel the same to buy them from Xur or have easy access. The feeling of euphoria when you get a good drop is like no other. I was screaming when the Black Hammer dropped for me - wanted it as soon as the raid released.

You are a good man. I wish more people appreciated this fact about Xur. He takes away a lot of the fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
!&!&@&!))&!& o_O 8fy80y)!)!))!

There was a Universal Remote at my Post Master! I had no idea! I am legitimately excited about this! (Edit: also my 6th Vex)

tumblr_inline_n84ok9lIRR1sxajiw.jpg
haha I missed this, I wonder if you and I were the only people to have this reaction to getting a UR. :D congrats

Got a Scout Rifle from a DO package, Crypt Dweller SR1: Outlaw, Firefly and Flared Magwell/Explosive Rounds/Snapshot. Don't know whether to use this one or an engramed Saterienne Rapier (Zen Moment, Firefly, Single Point Sling/Explosive Rounds/Armor Piercing Rounds). I'm leaning towards the Crypt but AP rounds should be fun to use.

And cloud945076, I hope that legendary engram decoded into an exotic at least. Talk about a poor NF drop...

anecdotally, I literally never cheesed Atheon or Crota a single time. do we cancel each other out, or what? :p (statistical analysis: no)

anyway, I do assume the % of the time that cheese is leveraged in raids to be very high, because its use substantially lowers (or eradicates) the skill bar to be cleared by each member of a fireteam. I think 99% is a bit on the extreme side though. other crazies like me are out there.

wha?

I never cheesed Atheon and only Crota once. I have cheesed the bridge a lot but that is mostly due to groups insisting on bringing low level alts through.

I know you aren't opposed to cheese since I have done some Nightfalls with you. Are you doing Phogoth legit this week? Please live stream if you do :D

Tapiozona

Banned
I've had crappy luck when it comes to finding a good legendary primary. Outside of the Devil you know the next best thing I have is a Badger CCL with a crappy roll.

I spent the weekend grinding out level 5 in Iron Banner to buy the hand cannon (Timurs Lash) and try my luck with the RNG. This is what I ended up with...

* Luck in the Chamber
* Outlaw
* Field Scout

Is this enough to make it my best Legendary weapon?
I normally use the Vex but would like to rely on a legendary so I can free up my exotic slot for IceBreaker or a rocket launcher.

E92 M3

You are a good man. I wish more people appreciated this fact about Xur. He takes away a lot of the fun.

I know some people got their dream weapon from Xur and were extremely happy, but when comparing the feeling of getting it randomly after a boss vs. Xur, there is no comparison.

I've had crappy luck when it comes to finding a good legendary primary. Outside of the Devil you know the next best thing I have is a Badger CCL with a crappy roll.

I spent the weekend grinding out level 5 in Iron Banner to buy the hand cannon (Timurs Lash) and try my luck with the RNG. This is what I ended up with...

* Luck in the Chamber
* Outlaw
* Field Scout

I normally use the Vex but would like to rely on a legendary so I can free up my exotic slot for IceBreaker or a rocket launcher.

Seems solid to me.

Well, 2 Nightfalls down, 1 to go. So far loot is terrible

Round 1
Me: Badger CCL with Always on Radar and If Last Shot Kill, Reload Speed+
Friend: No Land Beyond

Round 2
Me: No Land Beyond
Friend: Admonisher with Always on Radar and If Last Shot Kill, Reload Speed+

Jinjo

* Luck in the Chamber
* Outlaw
* Field Scout

That's like a top 3 Lash right there. Only a flared magwell-spray and play-luck in the chamber or an outlaw-field scout-crowd control can beat its potential.

EL CUCO

I never cheesed Atheon and only Crota once. I have cheesed the bridge a lot but that is mostly due to groups insisting on bringing low level alts through.

I know you aren't opposed to cheese since I have done some Nightfalls with you. Are you doing Phogoth legit this week? Please live stream if you do :D
People do Phogoth legit? I thought only Datto did that lol

Steroyd

Point A has such a dumb advantage on burning shrine to, Jesus tap dancing The Cauldron is at least balanced in it's clusterfuck.

Tapiozona

Banned
That's like a top 3 Lash right there. Only a flared magwell-spray and play-luck in the chamber or an outlaw-field scout-crowd control can beat its potential.

I was really hoping to get the bolded roll but could only seem to get 2 of the 3..went through 60 motes between 2 different Lashes to end up with the one i kept. I guess I can't complain..Ammo, reload, and Damage..can't ask for more.

What is everyone's weapon setup looking like for Hard Mode Crota's End tomorrow?

Primary: Fatebringer (only 300 level weapon I will be using), Vanquisher VIII, Santerienne Rapier
Special: IceBreaker, Light of the Abyss
Heavy: Gjallerhorn, Song of Ir Yut

I have pretty much every weapon, so if there is one that may be more useful I haven't thought of give a suggestion!

Primary: the chance/another NITC
Special: purifier fusion rifle/longbow sniper/black hammer/ice breaker
Heavy: Gjallarhorn

All 331 weapons. Of course I will have Fatebringer/VoC

Jinjo

I was really hoping to get the bolded roll but could only seem to get 2 of the 3..went through 60 motes between 2 different Lashes to end up with the one i kept. I guess I can't complain..Ammo, reload, and Damage..can't ask for more.

Yeah you got a really good one. I lucked out immensely with my Lash that way. It rolled like that first try lol, couldn't believe it. My other two Lashes where not so fortunate, spend 50 motes on both of them and neither turned out as good as yours.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We'll see where this Gjallarhorn party goes, but as of now I hope you are right. As much I want certain weapons, it just wouldn't feel the same to buy them from Xur or have easy access. The feeling of euphoria when you get a good drop is like no other. I was screaming when the Black Hammer dropped for me - wanted it as soon as the raid released.
lol

I understand the sentiment with regard to the euphoria associated with a random, lucky drop. I got to freak out publicly when I got my Hawkmoon. Felt amazing. Adrenaline floods you. it is such a powerful method of reinforcement that it essentially thrust everyone in these OTs into a passionate long-term relationship with RNGesus, leaving us howling at the moon each week, blurting why cain't I quit you? through gritted teeth.

But it's kind of a tough sell to claim that having a Gjallarhorn for the majority of my time with this game, which I only have due to Xur, is something that has "taken away a lot of the fun." I mean, you can try to convince me of that, but I'll just be over here laughing maniacally while blowing shit up, nam sayin'?

Trust me, I see the merit in loot-though-pure-RNG and I do have to give you both respect for holding fast to what isn't commonly a populist opinion- most would prefer to claim that RNG is awful and broken while being strung willingly along by it the whole time.

But I guess I'm happy and comfortable with the idea of some random drops and some token-based availability coexisting. I don't think that merely having bad luck should preclude you from ever getting something desirable. While the idea that "not every desirable drop should be obtainable this way" is compelling, it's also already the case. No one is getting a Fatebringer, Mythoclast, Black Hammer or Light of the Abyss from Xur, and they never will.

Qwell

I know I have bitched about this in the past, but it must be said again, Bungie HAS to increase the vault space, like ASAP. Its getting to the point where I can't really do much in the game because I don't have placed to put stuff. I know I'm just a hoarder, but I just recently ran out of weapon parts, and just realized I can't even really reliably farm weapon parts because I don't even have enough space to vault or even move weapons to other characters to free up slots so I can pickup greens etc. when I'm playing.

Yes I should probably dismantle more stuff, but I like to keep stuff around for situation needs, it just drives me nuts, especially since the 20 armor slots in my vault go unused because who really swaps armor a ton? Once you get Vendor armor... or Raid armor you pretty much only swap the occasional exotic armor around. And that stuff is locked to a single class so you can just hold those exotics on the character himself and still have plenty of slots for picking up items to dismantle for more hadronic essense, or wire, or platsteel etc.

I'm actually sitting on marks right now and there is stuff I want but I can't buy anything because I can't put it anywhere, so frustrating.

rNilla

Finally got some exotics from Nightfall this week. Saint Helm and Ahamkara Claws. Too bad I already have them but it's hard to be too disappointed when I have almost everything.

WipedOut

lol

I understand the sentiment with regard to the euphoria associated with a random, lucky drop. I got to freak out publicly when I got my Hawkmoon. Felt amazing. Adrenaline floods you. it is such a powerful method of reinforcement that it essentially thrust everyone in these OTs into a passionate long-term relationship with RNGesus, leaving us howling at the moon each week, blurting why cain't I quit you? through gritted teeth.

But it's kind of a tough sell to claim that having a Gjallarhorn for the majority of my time with this game, which I only have due to Xur, is something that has "taken away a lot of the fun." I mean, you can try to convince me of that, but I'll just be over here laughing maniacally while blowing shit up, nam sayin'?

Trust me, I see the merit in loot-though-pure-RNG and I do have to give you both respect for holding fast to what isn't commonly a populist opinion- most would prefer to claim that RNG is awful and broken while being strung willingly along by it the whole time.

But I guess I'm happy and comfortable with the idea of some random drops and some token-based availability coexisting. I don't think that merely having bad luck should preclude you from ever getting something desirable. While the idea that "not every desirable drop should be obtainable this way" is compelling, it's also already the case. No one is getting a Fatebringer, Mythoclast, Black Hammer or Light of the Abyss from Xur, and they never will.

I need to have your viewpoint. While I may not have the Horn I do have all the best Raid weapons in the game:

Fatebringer
VoC
Vex
Black Hammer
Hunger of Crota

I dropped 70+ Motes across 3 different Lashes and never saw Outlaw once. Wtf game.

Ended up with a decent PvP and two decent PvE ones, but still...

cilonen

lol

I get the feeling special thing too, and I was lucky in that the first exotic drop I ever got was Ice Breaker out of the first legendary engram I ever saw. I didn't even know it was as revered as it is until more people had it - I loved it for sure, but I don't think we knew just how good it was back then.

Thing is, damn if I didn't feel a little inadequate without a Gjallarhorn when we were playing Crota at the weekend. The Gaffers were lovely about it and we beat him twice, but I knew I could have been so more effective if I had one and I felt a little bad for our fireteam that I didn't.

zewone

Finally got some exotics from Nightfall this week. Saint Helm and Ahamkara Claws. Too bad I already have them but it's hard to be too disappointed when I have almost everything.
I wish more people had this kind of attitude in regards to exotic drops.

My buddy is complaining because he can't get Hawkmoon or Monte Carlo to drop, and I'm like dude, you have 32/34 (or whatever it is) exotics. The odds to get the right exotic youre looking for is tough. I just play the game and get the drops when I can. It's worked out for me. The only time I was freaking out was not getting Vex after 9 clears (lol) because my buddies got it in 1 clear.

E92 M3

lol

I agree with you that having a mix of RNG and purchasable loot is a great solution. With that said, I cannot deny that the positive reinforcement gained from random drops is very much more rewarding than a Xur purchase. And that's a personal opinion. Now if somehow Xur sold Fatebringer magically, will I be happy? Maybe relieved that I obtained it, but the feeling won't be as special; Fatebringer will be relegated to a very common hand cannon. At the end of the day I always go back to the notion that it's great to have rare weapons that a majority won't get, even if I am in the majority. It's an unorthodox - and maybe lazy - way of preventing complete homogenization.

--

On topic of nightfall rewards: Ass Shards have to be the most useless material out there for most of us. I have over 500 already that are sitting without a purpose.

Top Bottom