• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Get dead orbit high level and pray to rngesus. Because bungie can't make anything not random or grindy.

All they need to do is give out shaders as specific level rewards. For example, revanent shader at level 20...

Instead it's RNG for everything. As if nobody wants to spend any time or effort on actually designing a good reward system that will encourage people to play More instead of punishing them. Cant believe some people have to wait till they're level 30+ before they get their first shader

Raybunny

Jackpot my friend. Jackpot.

I got the Badger with firefly, luck in the chamber and flared magwell (reload).

It has the highest impact of any SR in the game. It may not have elemental but only raid primaries do. You now have a 331 scout with mac truck impact, firefly, and outlaw for reloading. You don't need field scout.

Long story short: You may have the best all around gun in the game with that roll.

Nice! I got The Saterienne rapier with Zen moment and Firefly. Not bad.

Ambitious

I haven't tried that method but I've heard about it. With all burns though anything can kill you super fast. The drop ship can just one shot you out of nowhere

I would keep it. I have a 300 version with outlaw, crowd control, field scout, and send it. I don't think I'll get another hand cannon like that one ever again. So good

Mine's a 331 version with Performance Bonus, Feeding Frenzy, Send It and Perfect Balance. I'm a bit disappointed with the perks. Like, Performance Bonus? I hardly ever run out of primary ammo.

Thanks for listening! This was a good read and you have some ideas I think are right on the money. Your post reminded me of two points I don't think I remembered to mention in the heat of the debate at all, but I think are pretty relevant:
  • I know I brought up the newbie raids in another context in there somewhere, I think on the topic of rerunning VoG vs. CE, but I really wanted to mention it in the sense of matchmaking... and by that I mean: I run, on a regular basis, full raids with groups comprised mainly of first-timers and/or people who have done the raid once or twice. In these runs, everyone knows exactly what they're getting into, and by nature they include someone who knows the raid by heart and can lead and improvise with issues that come up. And yet these raids can still sometimes end up getting stuck for multiple hours at a tricky spot; there are a lot of variables from group class composition to weapon breakdown to level distribution, all of which can be overcome, but not through sheer force of will- you actually have to account for where errors are occurring, make adjustments, consider reassigning roles, etc.

In these cases, everyone in the party needs to be extremely patient, and someone needs to offer positive reinforcement and keep morale up- because while from my perspective, I can tell we're making big strides in progress- even if we don't necessarily do more damage to the boss, or people still die- from the perspective of someone who's never beaten the boss before at all, it can seem a lot like they never will after 10+ failures. Can you expect that of any one of 6 blindly matchmade teammates, let alone all of them? The feeling of satisfaction when getting a kill with such a group is incredibly rewarding. But more than anything else, it's these experiences which solidified my stance on matchmaking* for the raid. "It won't affect you" is so, so far from the point- I'm totally looking at it from the perspective of a wide-eyed Guardian who beams down to the Moon looking for a fun experience and winds up in a hellacious clusterfuck of impatience and misunderstanding. Especially Crota, which can be a <30 minute affair for an even mildly coordinated team with a 32 sword, but last 3+ hours if just a few variables are changed. They might come away from this thinking they got a bad group, sure- but they also might come away thinking the game is bad, or too hard, or too confusing- whereas I don't want raids made any easier or tutorialized.

*Whenever I think of matchmaking for the raid, it's "blind" (unfiltered) matchmaking. Every criterion/caveat you add for queuing (must have completed raid twice, must have mic, must be level 31, etc.) will increase the % success rate of the group but decrease the number of players who can benefit from the system in the first place. Especially if we're talking about adding this for players to get INTO the raid, these are counterintuitive.
  • For Nightfalls, any kind of matchmaking addition, a vote-kick system like you've described is CRUCIAL. This is because Nightfalls invite a scenario which could be uniquely infuriating given the wrong group... namely, if one or more players goes AFK and the other two die... there's no restart, there's no wipe and go to orbit, you just have to SIT there. In other words an AFK jerk can literally put a Nightfall group in Limbo, unable to either finish or restart, in exactly the way they can't for a (matchmade) playlist strike. This kind of behavior needs to be accounted for, because it will always exist.

Yea they definitely need to include the vote-kick system into all the current matchmaking playlists and future ones. Also from the many hours of Iron Banner aka Twilight Gap playlist, they need to implement a map vote system for PvP as well. Maybe even Strike Playlists.

The GAF raid newbies are definitely grateful to have you lead their raids. There is a significant difference between random PUG from LFG and this community. As I've said I've played with 1 person I met via LFG raids outside of that raid, but that really only happened a couple times within a few weeks of meeting him and it's been months since so it doesn't really count. It's so cool to have friends here that just drop in my games whether it's a weekly, daily, IB, or farm and other way around. I still have people from lfg on my list but I don't look to them as possible drop-ins, I look for gaffers because of the friendships I've made I feel comfortable enough to drop in, ask if there's a spot available and go from there. I know this is kind of swaying from the original topic but I really couldn't have had this experience otherwise especially if there was an in-game hub. Most likely it would just have been a more convenience lfg.

I still think it's needed for the other side of the equation that doesn't have this luxury.

Navy Bean

How much crucible reputation do you get per match? I'd like to get the Rapier but I'm only rep level 1.5 and I'm trying to decide if the PvP grind is worth it (lol, of course it's not worth it but I may do it anyways).

Yea they definitely need to include the vote-kick system into all the current matchmaking playlists and future ones. Also from the many hours of Iron Banner aka Twilight Gap playlist, they need to implement a map vote system for PvP as well. Maybe even Strike Playlists.

The GAF raid newbies are definitely grateful to have you lead their raids. There is a significant difference between random PUG from LFG and this community. As I've said I've played with 1 person I met via LFG raids outside of that raid, but that really only happened a couple times within a few weeks of meeting him and it's been months since so it doesn't really count. It's so cool to have friends here that just drop in my games whether it's a weekly, daily, IB, or farm and other way around. I still have people from lfg on my list but I don't look to them as possible drop-ins, I look for gaffers because of the friendships I've made I feel comfortable enough to drop in, ask if there's a spot available and go from there. I know this is kind of swaying from the original topic but I really couldn't have had this experience otherwise especially if there was an in-game hub. Most likely it would just have been a more convenience lfg.

I still think it's needed for the other side of the equation that doesn't have this luxury.

Huge pain in the butt for the kinderguardians, though. Xmas noob here and I have no idea how I'm gonna get people for the 26 raid unless a few people from GAF take pity on me. Same with the weekly strikes, which would be pretty doable if I didn't have to solo them.

How much crucible reputation do you get per match? I'd like to get the Rapier but I'm only rep level 1.5 and I'm trying to decide if the PvP grind is worth it (lol, of course it's not worth it but I may do it anyways).

You don't get too many with each match, but I find it goes at a pretty nice clip if you focus on your bounties. @ 1.5 you'll need less than a day to hit 2, and maybe a few days to hit 3. Just clear out the easy bounties (kill X of each class, kill X with each method, play X of gametype) each day and you'll be there in a week.

Namikaze1

RJnv3Cm.gif

This needs to be updated.

Huge pain in the butt for the kinderguardians, though. Xmas noob here and I have no idea how I'm gonna get people for the 26 raid unless a few people from GAF take pity on me. Same with the weekly strikes, which would be pretty doable if I didn't have to solo them.

I'm pretty sure Hawkian posts to obtain a raid newbie group every Thursday. I'm just not sure if they do VoG/CE, maybe it depends on the group that signs up. I'm guessing all you do is sign up and he does the work to gather everyone together, I think?

I know I've seen a few posts here and there for lower level Heroic weeklies so you can try to post for those or look for them. This is where an in-game Hub would be extremely beneficial, or matchmaking. There are definitely a lot of lower levels but I know it's about timing since there isn't as much that post. If you post that you're looking and can't find someone after some time, I know there are people that would be willing to help if the timing permits, myself included. I'd just keep in mind that Tuesdays are probably the hardest to find help from a higher heroic level because of the reset.

You don't get too many with each match, but I find it goes at a pretty nice clip if you focus on your bounties. @ 1.5 you'll need less than a day to hit 2, and maybe a few days to hit 3. Just clear out the easy bounties (kill X of each class, kill X with each method, play X of gametype) each day and you'll be there in a week.
I tend to help out new players if I have time.

Rubenov

Don't even know why I still get hopeful for nightfalls. One down, got universal remote. Hooray. One more chance at something worth a shit.

I do them solely for the exp boost. Only missing two exotics from the game (Monte Carlo and hard Light) and have almost every Legendary I need / want.

Atkison04

So, after much glimmer farming last night, I bought 2 Timur's Lash and 1 Radegast's Fury. Also received Efrideet's Spear and Silimar's Wrath from Iron Banner post game drops. I re-rolled everything and ran out of motes with these perks. Judge away:

Timur's Lash 1:
-Outlaw
-Field Scout
- Luck in the Chamber

Timur's Lash 2:
-Rangefinder
- Armor piercing/ explosive rounds
- Luck in the Chamber

Efrideet's Spear:
* Arc damage
- Surplus
- Perfect balance/ send it
- Outlaw

Radegast's Fury:
* Solar (ran out of motes rerolling this thing)
- Grenades and Horseshoes
- Vacuum
^not pleased with this at all, especially since I wasted 50 motes rolling it.

Silimar's Wrath:
- Cascade
- High Caliber Rounds/ Skip rounds
- Crowd control
^honestly don't recall if I even re-rolled this one.

I don't think I've ever cheesed phogoth

The Shrieker room is too much of a pain in the ass

Ditto with the ledge above The Nexus thanks to the minotaur that spawns on the regular

If I didn't have my Arc Final Boss that can shoot through walls, I probably would just do it the normal way, but that weapon just makes the fight so very very easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cømet;148344245 said:
You can probably guess :p lol we sword swung across since we're waiting for half our team to show up still. Gatekeepers and Swordbearers etc are all still spawning fine but no wizards or ogres.

Chalking it up to another stealth fix at the minute.

EDIT: Yep stealth fix, soon as both folks on the first side died everything started spawning. Lol.
Hmm. So what was fixed? The ogres not spawning until everyone has either made it across or those that have not die on the home side is how the encounter has always functioned when done legit. The fix to despawning enemies (not a stealth one, today's patch) may have had some effect on the trigger I guess.
Definitely sign up for a weekly newbie raid on Thursdays! This week's is VoG, sadly I'm pretty sure it's already full up but I can put you down as an alt. If someone doesn't show up, I can come to you first. 9:00PM EST Thursday.
I'm pretty sure Hawkian posts to obtain a raid newbie group every Thursday. I'm just not sure if they do VoG/CE, maybe it depends on the group that signs up. I'm guessing all you do is sign up and he does the work to gather everyone together, I think?
Right, we're actually switching off each week, so this week is VoG, next week is CE, then VoG... I'm trying to consider other options though. Wish I could clone myself or add Xursday to the week as a Destiny-only day of rest.

Typically I post the signups on Tuesday or Wednesday... however for the CE run last week and this week's VoG we filled up before I even made this post... newbie stuff is supposed to get LESS active over time you guys, what's the deal?!

cilonen

Sitting in the Shrieker room is probably the worst/slowest way to defeat Phogoth to be honest...

So much easier and faster to simply take care of the enemies in the boss room, go in to the left between the two boulders and free Phogot and kill him (only need to worry about the enemies that drop from 1 single dropship).

Edit: Just to be clear I have no issue with people who want to sit in the Shrieker room (I've always believe in playing games however you want as long as it doesn't affect others enjoyment), I'm simply commenting on how much more inefficient/messy the method is.

Nah, I've soloed Phogoth in the spot I described above during Nightfall plenty of times, I find him to probably be one of the easiest/safest Strike bosses to solo since enemies don't keep spawning in constantly as you fight him.

Noisepurge Greeny and I did that when we did our Thorn bounties and the first time through we got dumped on in that spot by a Wizard and a Boomer who had gotten up to the second level overlooking it. That was a shock.

We nailed it second time, but that same group got up there again, we were ready for them second time round though.

Edit :

Typically I post the signups on Tuesday or Wednesday... however for the CE run last week and this week's VoG we filled up before I even made this post... newbie stuff is supposed to get LESS active over time you guys, what's the deal?!

I actually think the player base is growing. Plus more people are getting confident. I'd like to give VoG a shot sometime for sure.

In that case, absolutely, I will do so this week and stream it :) Just need two (un)willing souls to come with!

This is a great opportunity to put in practice some of the stuff I've been thinking about recently with regard to the "hidden trinity" that exists in Destiny. Still fleshing out ideas, but putting a post together bit by bit.

If anyone wants to take a stab at this Nightfall legit, maybe today in the early evening EST, let's talk via PM a little.

I was curious as to what Datto, vaunted anti-cheese guru, did as an example here. I found this video of him soloing it and was ready to be impressed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze61FYOiipk#t=1324)... He uses the shrieker room. -_-

Then hard time or not, challenge accepted 8)
Best line in that vid....

"You know what Destiny needs? Doors."

Made me chuckle.

btkadams

What's the burn on this week's nightfall? And, is there a burn on the weekly heroic? Am I crazy, or was there a burn on the weekly heroic at least once before?

Top Bottom