• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

So, after much glimmer farming last night, I bought 2 Timur's Lash and 1 Radegast's Fury. Also received Efrideet's Spear and Silimar's Wrath from Iron Banner post game drops. I re-rolled everything and ran out of motes with these perks. Judge away:

Timur's Lash 1:
-Outlaw
-Field Scout
- Luck in the Chamber

Timur's Lash 2:
-Rangefinder
- Armor piercing/ explosive rounds
- Luck in the Chamber

Efrideet's Spear:
* Arc damage
- Surplus
- Perfect balance/ send it
- Outlaw

Radegast's Fury:
* Solar (ran out of motes rerolling this thing)
- Grenades and Horseshoes
- Vacuum
^not pleased with this at all, especially since I wasted 50 motes rolling it.

Silimar's Wrath:
- Cascade
- High Caliber Rounds/ Skip rounds
- Crowd control
^honestly don't recall if I even re-rolled this one.

Nice man, you got some good rolls! I'm jealous of the sniper

Maybe they should take out the definitive statements at the ends of strike replays.

Finally, the (37,000th reincarnation) of Phogoth has been defeated.

I'd just be happy if every strike didn't end in a backhanded congratulatory statement.

Good job, you beat X, BUT in the grand scheme of things, nothing has changed...

Seriously, every strike ends with a "But... your efforts were essentially worthless"

noomi

So everyone says thunderlord is so good, but I rarely ever see anyone having one equipped, only around arc burn days.

Got one today as well, and not sure if I should level or vault it for now...

Waldini

Luck has run out...

NF1: 11 Shards
NF2: 11 Energies

Weekly gave me shit x2

Crota Run 1 gave me 11 Energies
Crota Run 2 gave me 11 Energies AGAIN.

Have one more NF and Crota left. Can level my Hunter to 32... need that damn Titan Chest!

lupin23rd

I'd just be happy if every strike didn't end in a backhanded congratulatory statement.

Good job, you beat X, BUT in the grand scheme of things, nothing has changed...

Seriously, every strike ends with a "But... your efforts were essentially worthless"

Sneak peak at future DLC perhaps?

I want to see the win-loss records for all the strike / raid bosses.

zewone

So everyone says thunderlord is so good, but I rarely ever see anyone having one equipped, only around arc burn days.

I got mine months ago and just put in in the garbage bag for collection purposes.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys... I have good news.

My Vita for Remote Play will arrive this Sunday... my little brother bought it in his vacation... I can't wait to play Destiny in places I couldn't before :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lol, you already know the "RNG" is my bane of this game. I can barely take it anymore. Last week was the first time in months that I didn't blow a gasket because of Xur and Raid/NF rewards. A rare week to keep my blood pressure in check. If it wasn't for GAF, I would have quit long ago. I probably should quit, but I can't.
Yeah... I guess you probably should. RNG absolutely shouldn't be a factor in your blood pressure, under any circumstances. :(

edit: You absolutely can. it's just a game.

Regardless, the idea that the loot rolls in this game or any game using the same machinations are not random (by this I am not at all addressing the difference between truly random and psuedorandom generated numbers, for those that understand this distinction) is one of the most disturbing, stubborn concepts I contend with when talking about it.

Typically in support of this argument, if I ask someone why they believe this, they immediately provide me with a personal, anecdotal experience, or one of an acquaintance, that seems to "contradict RNG." This is particularly painful to anyone looking at the circumstances as a series of probabilistic events. I don't want to go so far as to say that you guys are wrong, as I don't have access to the game's backend either, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence presented. An individual merely getting repeat items in excess is absolutely not evidence of a nonrandom system.

The worst thing about Hard CE is that HoW is coming in like 6 weeks. So few attempts to get any Raid Weapons worth a damn. Kind of frustrating and a huge let down considering all the primaries are locked behind Crota kills and he has so far been very stingy on drops.

ethomaz

Banned
Had some good groups the last couple weeks, looking to put together a CE run tonight around 8ish, maybe a few minutes later. I'll be drinking, I think. Looking for a relaxed run. Desperately seeking boots on my Hunter and Warlock to get to 32.

1. Schwagger15 (spyder_ur) - 31 Hunter probably
2. Underdouble (31 Warlock)
I'm down for it.

What time is 8ish? I mean timezone ;)

hydruxo

I use it in PvP alot and it wrecks. Obviously not the be all end all for machine guns by any means but once you get the Lightning Rounds and Perfect Balance unlocked, it's a great gun.

Yeah... I guess you probably should. RNG absolutely shouldn't be a factor in your blood pressure, under any circumstances. :(

I'm not quite a off-the-rails ballistic as my post made it seem, but I do get frustrated with the drops. I have tried playing other games but I keep coming back. I frequently get into "something" for a while and it takes the next big thing to break the spell. Not until something else big enough comes along to occupy my idle thoughts will I be able to step away.

Pretty sure Bloodborne will be my cure. March can't come fast enough.

You gotta admit Nami is a crazy outlier that even RNG is hard to explain.

coy

Could you post a screenshot, please? It's hard to judge the look of shaders with the low-res models of DestinyTracker's shader previewer.
The blackest shader would be Superblack, though. But I'd prefer a few white/brighter areas anyway, 100% black is boring.
Here's a screenshot I took last night with Revenant.

PHQYiTO.jpg

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Sitting in the Shrieker room is probably the worst/slowest way to defeat Phogoth to be honest...

So much easier and faster to simply take care of the enemies in the boss room, go in to the left between the two boulders and free Phogot and kill him (only need to worry about the enemies that drop from 1 single dropship).

Edit: Just to be clear I have no issue with people who want to sit in the Shrieker room (I've always believe in playing games however you want as long as it doesn't affect others enjoyment), I'm simply commenting on how much more inefficient/messy the method is.

Nah, I've soloed Phogoth in the spot I described above during Nightfall plenty of times, I find him to probably be one of the easiest/safest Strike bosses to solo since enemies don't keep spawning in constantly as you fight him.

Are you talking about the rock at the back of the room on the left?

blackflag

I use it in PvP alot and it wrecks. Obviously not the be all end all for machine guns by any means but once you get the Lightning Rounds and Perfect Balance unlocked, it's a great gun.

It is the be all end all machine gun. The only issue is that it's exotic and not Gjallahorn. It's used a lot in PVP because it's ridiculously overpowered but even there, I use Hawkmoon and Vex and unless I'm playing super seriously, I don't bother switching primaries and Heavies around when ammo spawns. Sometimes I do.

hydruxo

It is the be all end all machine gun. The only issue is that it's exotic and not Gjallahorn. It's used a lot in PVP because it's ridiculously overpowered but even there, I use Hawkmoon and Vex and unless I'm playing super seriously, I don't bother switching primaries and Heavies around when ammo spawns. Sometimes I do.

It's really not though. I'm not sure if you're defending it or saying it's not worth using, but you stated it's biggest fault right there in that it's an exotic and takes up the slot. The reason I said it's not the be all end all is because there are legendary MGs that work just fine (Corrective Measure, Jolders Hammer, etc.) That doesn't stop it from being a great gun.

noomi

Well I'm definitely glad I have it, I just don't see it taking any priority over horn or even icebreaker. Seems like a great weapon... but yeah mostly arc burn nightfalls or occasional pvp

blackflag

It's really not though. I'm not sure if you're defending it or saying it's not worth using, but you stated it's biggest fault right there in that it's an exotic and takes up the slot. The reason I said it's not the be all end all is because there are legendary MGs that work just fine (Corrective Measure, Jolders Hammer, etc.)

yeah that's what I meant, I use Corrective Measure most of the time but just judging the machine guns on their own, it's far and away the best. Just the exotic thing makes it used much less.

Navy Bean

Regardless, the idea that the loot rolls in this game or any game using the same machinations are not random (by this I am not at all addressing the difference between truly random and psuedorandom generated numbers, for those that understand this distinction) is one of the most disturbing, stubborn concepts I contend with when talking about it.

Typically in support of this argument, if I ask someone why they believe this, they immediately provide me with a personal, anecdotal experience, or one of an acquaintance, that seems to "contradict RNG." This is particularly painful to anyone looking at the circumstances as a series of probabilistic events. I don't want to go so far as to say that you guys are wrong, as I don't have access to the game's backend either, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence presented. An individual merely getting repeat items in excess is absolutely not evidence of a nonrandom system.
Problem might be that the RNG system is actually too random. And I'm not sure players want that or enjoy that. I know I'd rather have a more intelligent RNG system that occasionally throws you a bone, or at least a damn Fatebringer, c'mon Bungie (this is the week).

noomi

After over an hour of pugging roc strikes I think it's safe to call it a night.

See you all tomorrow, hope hard mode brings some fun changes and more nice loot for all :)

Navid

Noisepurge Greeny and I did that when we did our Thorn bounties and the first time through we got dumped on in that spot by a Wizard and a Boomer who had gotten up to the second level overlooking it.
Yep, the version of that strike for the Thorn bounty have a few additional enemies (as you say a few knights and 1-2 wizards) spawn in I think (if I remember correctly) between the 2nd and 3rd hive ship appearing.

Can indeed be a surprise if you are used to the regular version of the strike. :D But as you say when you know about them you can simply back away a bit and take care of them all pretty quick with heavy weapons.

Are you talking about the rock at the back of the room on the left?
If you are talking about this rock in this youtube link, then no... that is probably even worse than standing in the Shrieker room. There are two boulders before that, standing between them (closer to the nearer boulder from you enter the boss room) is what I'm talking about.

zewone

What does this mean took me 88 motes?

How did Motes get you one?

You can re-roll Iron Banner guns until you get the perks/element you like. It costs 2 motes to re-roll it each time. It's all random so it can take a lot of motes to land on a perk set up you like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not quite a off-the-rails ballistic as my post made it seem, but I do get frustrated with the drops. I have tried playing other games but I keep coming back. I frequently get into "something" for a while and it takes the next big thing to break the spell. Not until something else big enough comes along to occupy my idle thoughts will I be able to step away.

Pretty sure Bloodborne will be my cure. March can't come fast enough.
lol I don't even wanna think about Bloodborne and a new DLC for this being hot at the same time.
You gotta admit Nami is a crazy outlier that even RNG is hard to explain.
aaaahhhh! no XD

A Nami, or more germanely a small handful of Namis playerbase-wide, is exactly the kind of outlier you expect to result from a random system. Trying to ascribe his experience (or my own) to something other than good (or average or bad) luck is where logic goes completely out the window from my perspective. If everyone's drops were more or less equitable, that would point toward a non-random, "guided" system. Do you know what I mean?
Problem might be that the RNG system is actually too random. And I'm not sure players want that or enjoy that. I know I'd rather have a more intelligent RNG system that occasionally throws you a bone, or at least a damn Fatebringer, c'mon Bungie (this is the week).
Well, that's an altogether different argument, worthy of debate.

blackflag

Took me 88 motes to get Outlaw, Field Scout, and Luck in the Chamber. I wanted crowd control, but I'm not willing to part with my last 36 motes.

I got stupid lucky with mine. It took like 5 or so rerolls.

Outlaw, Field Scout, Crowd Control.

And then Radagast took like 80 and I still know I won't use the damn thing.

joecanada

its funny but this Iron Banner taught me a lot, next IB I will have maxed suros for auto rifle bounty, my efreedit (sp?) spear will be maxed, and against all odds will still be my go to MG...
oh and for those special matches, I just bought "two to the morgue" I can't believe the vendor model has luck in the chamber and increase damage after kills... still feel bad using pocket infinity though, only saw one other guy using it all weekend and told my team "no way" but they kept saying use it, I did for two matches.

My only problem with IB is that it should be tied more to cooperation than just winning, its good to win but the best matches are close ones and ones that are fun... IB is super try-hard which is okay but it's all shotguns most of the time.

edit - and regretfully I ended up sharding some old crucible favorites after running out of ass material too.

lol I don't even wanna think about Bloodborne and a new DLC for this being hot at the same time.

aaaahhhh! no XD

A Nami, or more germanely a small handful of Namis playerbase-wide, is exactly the kind of outlier you expect to result from a random system. Trying to ascribe his experience (or my own) to something other than good (or average or bad) luck is where logic goes completely out the window from my perspective. If everyone's drops were more or less equitable, that would point toward a non-random, "guided" system. Do you know what I mean?

When my IRL friends played Destiny, our VERY FIRST Normal raid completion, my friend got Chest, Gloves and Legs and reached 30. There were 4 of us, and raided every week, and 2 of them could never ever get legs until Iron Banner 2.0. Talk about best and worse cases among 4 people.

Top Bottom