• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Anything worth grabbing from the Vanguard QM?

Eyeing Plug One.1, Badger CCL and Another NITC. Already own Secret Handshake. Don't use ARs much so I'm leaving Up For Anything for a later date.

Anyone on Xbox One

Daily
Weekly
Nightfall?

I'm on in 20 min.

Liquidsnake00

If anyone is getting a raid crew together hit me up please. its my last chance to hit 32 before tomorrow.

Shito

Still got room for one?
PSN = Ji66a_Man

Added Shito but it looks like the group filled up. I'm doing nightfall as well. Check profile for psn
Yeah, sorry guys, the group filled up hella quick!
I'm always amazed at reset day frenzy. ^^

1st Nightfall: 11 coins
2nd Nightfall: 10 coins

Ok, I guess.
Will do the third one later in the week, once my titan reaches 30.
Thanks to the two players who jumped on my invitation, that nightfall was careful but painless.

Thanks for the help Bonsoir and weremichael, I hate the joke damage that I'm doing.
No problem, we all start / have an alt to level up one day. :)

So 2 glitches after patches

Sword disappears after killing the swordbearer during Crota and Ogres appear too earlier.

Got no land beyond and hard light T_T

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
use old plan c, get new plan c. acceptable! thx nightfall.

edit: Stupid hawkian, thank you Lushious and Korrik for the run! :)

spyder_ur

Had some good groups the last couple weeks, looking to put together a CE run tonight around 8ish, maybe a few minutes later. I'll be drinking, I think. Looking for a relaxed run. Desperately seeking boots on my Hunter and Warlock to get to 32.

1. Schwagger15 (spyder_ur) - 31 Hunter probably
2. Underdouble (31 Warlock)
3. Ethomaz
4. CaptScience (32 Warlock)
5. Forza_aldi
6. JTran2003 (32 Warlock)

Edit: Full up, will send invites in a bit.

Cømet

Banned
Not a bad day. Hard light, Titan raid helm (just as I max out my second exotic I didn't really want for 32. Suppose Glass house can be useful) aaaand my third Thunderlord (lol). One for each character right. Oh, and the VoG hunter helm, which finishes my VoG collection at last. Still wanna do that exotic Gorgon chest for one last go at Gjallarhorn this week.

Need to run bounties in the morning and get the titan helm ready for HM. This is gonna be good.

phen0m24

Couple more minutes at HM Gorgon checkpoint.
Any need it? Am dancing on a rock hoping all of you get Gjallarhorns.

Psn colonelocorn

Agent

Soloed my way to Phogoth on nightfall. Join in for a quick nightfall. Going to do weekly heroic after this is done.

PSN: phantom8324

Edit: full. Sorry to those who I couldn't get in. I'll be running it again shortly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian is obviously making sense, but at the same time I'm sure he's wrong. No way is it completely random. NO WAY.
i think my biggest thing is, it seems like the examples everyone gives as to why it's not random- if those things didn't happen, it would be way way way way less random than what we have now. which is a totally fine thing to want and highly understandable, but a different complaint than "this isn't random"

Lushious, it's making me install a patch!

more anecdotes aaaaaaaah

We don't know, but yeah, that all seems right.

The one thing I can give you here is that the odds of getting the exact same result from the same two probabilistic events within 30 minutes are the same as getting the exact same result within one year of each other. The duration of time between the results has no impact.

I'm telling you it absolutely makes sense. If it didn't happen, would you think, "gee, this is really random?" Is that what would make the difference- not seeing frequent coincidences?

The odds of getting both (7 Suros) and (7 Truths), alone, even without regard to "before (x)," are already pretty huge. Probably <1 in one or two million already... but you're just driving my point home. That you, as an individual, have experienced this, is meaningless, or even moreso, an expected result.

I think some of the disconnect is that the concept of odds and chance is confusing in and of itself. Or at least, the way we're taught odds and chance work.

We're told that if something has a 50% chance that Result A should happen roughly 1 out of every 2 times. What many people forget though is that in reality Result B can happen every single time. It's not likely but it's entirely possible and when that happens to a person or to certain groups of people, the feeling is that either the odds are wrong or something else is influencing the outcome.

Anyone wanna do Crota's End beginning within the next hour? I've got a 32 Warlock in case for the quick Crota kill but I'd prefer to use my 31 hunter.

1 . toastyToast (toasty_T)

Shito

Damn, just realized: 2 nightfalls, 3 CE chest and first phase, 3 gorgon chests, and all I have to show for it are 21 coins and a pile of radiant and ass mats.

That's probably my worst week ever.
I now totally expect a horn to pop out of nowhere: please game!

You understand that the answers to these questions are calculations, right?

The odds are whatever they are. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You, Hudson, are the experiencer of a multitude of one-in-a-million events on a regular basis in Destiny- merely because there are millions of people playing.

You have to understand... the implicit argument you're making is that if this stuff didn't happen, if you received only one MIDA Multi-Tool, 1 Ghorn, 1 Thunderlord, 1 No land beyond, 1 Dragon's Breath, and fusion rifles with a different perk each time- that would necessarily be more random. Does that sound right to you? Random gives you everything you want, in equal distribution?

*shrug* Monte Carlo is my "locked drop" too ;) I've gotten 7.

Except for the "seemingly random" (you're saying it explicitly does NOT seem random), of course it could. Any nonrandom scenario could be concocted to drive the experience, instead of a random one. But again, what's the actual evidence that this is the case? Why does your individual experience make this setup more likely than actual randomness producing the same results?

You're absolutely right- this is human nature. It's almost impossible to avoid, actually.. pattern recognition isn't just a pasttime for human beings, it's a survival instinct.

Let me ask you this: the fact that most everyone more or less seems to have a story like this- the fact that most anyone, at command, can produce an anecdote of unimaginable odds- does that make you feel more confident that it's not random? I'd like to be able to make my case more cogently, and I know there's an angle I haven't looked at it from yet.

What makes you so certain that it is completely random? No of us know how the loot drops work exactly. Based on experience, I don't think the system awards you weapons you already have, but it does seem like some people are predisposed to certain weapons and other types of loot (sparrows and ships) more than others.

Top Bottom