• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Very true. Sad but true.

haha thanks man. Sorry you had to come in at the end when we were all pissed off and bored.

Unfortunately my mood isn't related to killing or not killing Crota. I hated CE within a few days of it's release, even when I was talking about doing 2 sword kills as a Lv31. I stupidly put hope into HM for salvaging something of value from it but my disappointment stems from its design, not my (or my team's) performance or lack thereof.

I just can't believe the same team that made VoG made this mess.

edit: top of the page again! Maximum visibility for maximum whining !!!!

I'd guess it wasn't the same team. Probably the team that made the omnigal strike.

Wow so Crota can still melee even if shield is down?

Because that just happened.
Yeah I saw that happen often IMO yesterday. Perhaps he aggros on the swordbearer too much or lag ( as much as I HATE saying lag)

if you need one, i'll hop in with my Hunter. still need helm for her.
Will do, like I said I have no idea who will be available really at that time. But I still want to kill him, just because I know we can.

I think I'll give HM Crota a shot with my regular raid crew, and if it doesn't happen I'll wait a few weeks. I got lucky and got both the pulse rifle (my first arc primary, since I never got fatebringer) and the AR, and then death singer blessed me with a gjallarhorn. I'd like the hand cannon or the scout rifle, but there's more than enough stuff for me to do in any given week than to kill myself trying to beat Crota. It certainly won't be something I try to do 3 times a week, even when the strategies are ironed out. I'd rather take that time and play ROC strikes, get better at crucible, and play the vault of glass.

LiK

Thanks for responses guys. As always, I <3 DGAF.

Yeah, seems to be worse since they patched the ethernet disconnect not-cheese cheese. Imagine that, an anti-cheese patch fucking up legitimate players! Who could imagine such a thing !!!

yea, i'm blaming their anti-cheese patches for the new bugs.

blackflag

Yeah, not many people are going to still give a shit about Destiny by the time Comet drops if HoW is anywhere near as bad as TDB.

I'll be around today, just send a PM or PSN message if you guys have a time to get back together and bust it out. I still want to finish him off once or twice just to be done with it but I have little to no motivation to waste more time on that fight until HoW drops.

Let me know if you guys pick a time. Pm on here would be better. I'm working from home but if I can Id like to get this done. We were too close and I think just playing for too long and got sloppy after wasting at least an hour on that lagfest

Crota didn't kneel at all for us sometimes. It fucked up figs since she was sword master. Also ruined the timing of when to shoot him. Dunno if this is a new bug or working as intended.
Does it hurt you? Working as intended. Does it help you? HOTFIX!!!!

I want to see a video of the Abyss Defiant focused fire and the damage differences.

Deku Tree

I'd guess it wasn't the same team. Probably the team that made the omnigal strike.

Has Luke Smith been the lead raid designer the whole time?
Seems like the Crota design is an over-reaction to all the VoG cheese...
It's possible they will nerf the encounter say by turning the boomer knights back to red bars... they've done similar things before...

Omni

Does it hurt you? Working as intended. Does it help you? HOTFIX!!!!

I want to see a video of the Abyss Defiant focused fire and the damage differences.

I maxed it out tonight. Had bounties saved up.

How should I test? I can make a quick clip

Jinjo

Has Luke Smith been the lead raid designer the whole time?
Seems like the Crota design is an over-reaction to all the VoG cheese...
It's possible they will nerf the encounter say by turning the boomer knights back to red bars... they've done similar things before...

It's clear they didn't delay hard mode to counter cheeses/exploits. They delayed to counter all know good methods of killing Crota. Literally every part of the most used strats has a countermechanism now. That's not how you design a boss.

WipedOut

Happened to me a couple times yesterday. I've Had to come to a full stop to pick up sword...and even then there's a delay.

That problem has always been around, there's just alot less margin for error with no chalice and being underleveled.

I don't remember the Relic pick up being so inconsistent for VoG...

This kept happening to us yesterday and the Crota melee'ing us when his shield was down. We started Crota at 930 and by 1230 still hadn't beaten him. We ran with the same crew we always run with and still couldn't get it done. Took notes today and will implement some of these strats I've read about. Overall, everything up till crota seems pretty much the same just no revive.

Wow, I can't believe there isn't a confirmed Crux of Crota drop yet. That is crazy rare, or there is some variable we are missing. This must be Bungie's solution to everyone blasting through TDB and CE before releasing the hardmode. Well, we can't possibly design a game properly or have a meaningful progress system that isn't completely dependant on RNG, so let's just give one last ultimate "fuck you" RNG prize so even those with 3x 32 characters, HM raid clears with their eyes closed, still have to grind and grind and grind to get something that may not even turn out to be that great, despite us explicitly saying a goal in CE raid was to allow players to work toward progression with each additional play through of the raid.

I never played the Halo games growing up, but I am struggling to believe this is the same company that designed supposedly near-flawless, universally beloved games.

Out 1

Let me get this straight: even after the Crota HM release, the Templar still reigns as the only fairly interesting heroic encounter in the game?

cilonen

From everything I've seen about the hard mode, it comes off as a really cynical effort from Bungie.

Spend a month (six weeks?) watching all the popular strategies develop the. Knock something up in an afternoon to negate them, make everyone under levelled and don 't bother to actually put any work in to it not glitching the fuck out 2 out of 3 times.

Feorax

Just going to bump this, since I'm home now and we can go as soon as we have 6.

Ok, i finish work in about an hour, so I'm going to set up a CE normal run for us level 31 nd under peasants to go in about 90 mins.

Just add your name to the list below:

1. MattIgoe
2. bitofadrizzle
3. Ikkarus
4. ipitythafool32

WipedOut

It's clear they didn't delay hard mode to counter cheeses/exploits. They delayed to counter all know good methods of killing Crota. Literally every part of the most used strats has a countermechanism now. That's not how you design a boss.

Exactly, Hide in the middle from ogres, let's put a gatekeeper there. Kill the boomers when the sword guy is at crota, let's have a wizard spawn, simply lazy design. At least VoG seem to have a little thought put into it, after the mess that is the Crota Raid I have much more respect for VoG.

Let me get this straight: even after the Crota HM release, the Templar still reigns as the only fairly interesting heroic encounter in the game?
VoG is a better design. Crota HM is "hard" due to the glitches, bugs aka sword disappearing--> Almost a guaranteed autowipe, terrible lag people have been encountering, being forced to be under level,and more bullet sponges adds, "anti cheese" tactics such as the gatekeeper that will 1 shot you.

Deku Tree

They probably did that... I think they also delayed it (1) because of the holiday and (2) to stretch out the content and keep people playing and (3) to give people a chance to get to 32 because you really should be 32.

Based on all of these, "Gjallarhorn is a must!" from those that have cleared HM, it sounds like Bungie really needs to buff the "extra damage to hive majors" perk on the CE weapons. What is the point of releasing all of these high level weapons with specific raid perks when vanilla non-raid weapons are far more effective during the raid?

LiK

once people start getting more CE HM primaries, it might be easier. fucking pissed my Titan got zero gun drops. hope my alts have better luck.

Hyun Sai

Based on all of these, "Gjallarhorn is a must!" from those that have cleared HM, it sounds like Bungie really needs to buff the "extra damage to hive majors" perk on the CE weapons. What is the point of releasing all of these high level weapons with specific perks when vanilla non-raid weapons are far more effective during the raid?

Gjallahorn is the proof that nobody at Bungie got a clue about weapon balance, so I wouldn't hope anything.

Very improbable.

Wow, so a constant stream of bullets just keeps them confused? Every hit activates it or is it random?

Disorient always seems to happen within one magazine.
Not sure, most times the wizard goes down very quickly after being disoriented. Havent tested with multiple abyss defiants yet.

Honestly is there any reason to even put myself through the bullshit known as Crota? Arc scout rifle I probably wouldn't use until nightfall and even then, I would probably prefer Fatebringer. A void handcannon which seems 'ok' but once again not better than fatebringer. Probably just AE in nightfalls anyway. Crux is the only one that kinda interests me and it seems super rare.... And even then, it produces a bullethose which are really not my favourite type anyway. It just seems it's not worth the effort

Lnkn52

This morning, I said to myself that I'd like to give this game a break with all these failed attempts with Crota. Even the group I joined late last night to take down Aethon HM struggled to take it down.

But of course, I finally get an account with GAF. I'll give Crota a break for now.
My main goal is to find a Gjallarhorn, since it's necessary in any raid.

EL CUCO

Soooo is Bungie ever going to stream themselves playing Heroic Crota..? The closest I ever saw was Deej playing normal VoG with Datto.

I'd LOOOVE to see it and I'll put my money on that they can't beat it.

Steroyd

Based on all of these, "Gjallarhorn is a must!" from those that have cleared HM, it sounds like Bungie really needs to buff the "extra damage to hive majors" perk on the CE weapons. What is the point of releasing all of these high level weapons with specific raid perks when vanilla non-raid weapons are far more effective during the raid?

I think Hunger of Crota is a good substitute...maybe because of the hive disruptor perk but holy shit, with the way everything is a bullet sponge from hallowed knights to the swordbearer I'm not surprised that people have the "Gjallarhorn or bust" mentality.

Hyun Sai

Hyunsai, will you be joining us tonight (4PM EST), saved a spot for you.

I finish work around 7PM East. :( You can take someone else, no problem.

Thanks for yesterday night, even if we didn't drop it, we left more experienced.

Good luck for tonight !

Top Bottom