• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Well, he is mostly right, that's the sad part ah ah ah.

1. Destiny was supposed to be this big, imaginative game that tickled our sense of exploration and ushered in a new era of “shared world” shooters. The early artwork and discussion of the game’s lore promised a space opera that would easily challenge Bungie’s previous series, Halo.

God, I'm getting so sick of this word. It seems like anything a developer mentions, ever, about anything suddenly turns into a promise. It's rivaling the "War on..." crap that normal media drowned us in last decade.

Meh wish I could do some Iron Banner now :/
Intercellular communication class and neuroimmunology project sucks and will become very time consuming (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
His Destiny complaints are spot on. Exactly what I think. I also agree with the rest of the games he listed that I played.

It's better to take Destiny for what it is, and not for what was promised/what you thought it would/should be. I didn't follow its development at all, so I wasn't too hung up on that sort of stuff. Obviously I agree with his complaints - these are facts and are not really opinion.

Shito

God, I'm getting so sick of this word. It seems like anything a developer mentions, ever, about anything suddenly turns into a promise. It's rivaling the "War on..." crap that normal media drowned us in last decade.
Yes, that's really my only beef with this article. The flaws he lists are real, but the "promise" thing is just stupid.

Two Words

Tone-policing isn't doing anything here. We know what he means.

Tbh I agree with him.

Watch Dogs is a piece of shit rehashed modern day AC by ubisoft.

Thief which I haven't actually played but from what I've observed is another massive dissapointment

Driveclub.... I'm still waiting for my PS PLUS EDITION DAMMIT. It's been a year and half already!!

Destiny oh destiny. The dude is pretty spot on. Aside from the excellent gun play, this game is probably the most repititive game ive ever played. And it's also probably my most played game. The expensive DLC with barely any content just makes it feel extremely soulless imo. Tbh why does every major game starting to feel like this? Killzone is the last major game ive played that hasn't tried to wring my pockets dry. And yet, I find myself coming back to the game. And enjoying it (aside from the usual raging and bashing) Whether if that speaks towards my weak will or something else I don't know. Oh well. It's not as if what I say changes anything

The rest of the games im either not familiar with, not played or didn't follow

Acorn

People keep referring to this "story" thing in Destiny and I'm not sure what they are talking about.
Wizards and shit. Peter Dinklage yawning through v.o sessions for millions.

Awoken the hive
rasputin the edm artist
queens brother being pissed

The end

LiK

It's better to take Destiny for what it is, and not for what was promised/what you thought it would/should be. I didn't follow its development at all, so I wasn't too hung up on that sort of stuff. Obviously I agree with his complaints - these are facts and are not really opinion.

We may like the game but every single Gaffer I played with here has complained about something about this game that Forbes mentioned. Even if you didn't follow the development, we can all agree the game's story and world is quite small and underdeveloped.

legendary vendor shotgun question:
which is best or which one do you like?

Judgment VI (New Monarchy)?
Secret Handshake (Vanguard)?
Two to the Morgue (Crucible)?

Coconut

Banned
Intercellular communication class and neuroimmunology project sucks and will become very time consuming (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

just skip school and go play video games, none of those classes sounds too complicated. I'm sure there's a youtube video that can summarize whatever they are teaching in that numberology class or whatever.

E92 M3

Titnfall breaks as matching making puts you into higher levels. It eventually becomes just people using cloak and the smart pistol. Which is whatever but since it's a multiplayer only game it illustrates that balancing the powers and weapons seemed to stop at some point early on at respawn. I honestly feel like Destiny is the better shooter on all fronts this year if you are willing to ignore it's lack of content that doesn't support it's loot grind nature. also this guy must be new concept art is always going to be way more grand than the actual game.

Don't want to stray off topic too much, but levels don't really matter in Titanfall. It's like COD.

--

In regard's to Destiny's story: I think it's the least important thing. I want a lot more quality of life changes.

joecanada

Tbh I agree with him.

Watch Dogs is a piece of shit rehashed modern day AC by ubisoft.

Thief which I haven't actually played but from what I've observed is another massive dissapointment

Driveclub.... I'm still waiting for my PS PLUS EDITION DAMMIT. It's been a year and half already!!

Destiny oh destiny. The dude is pretty spot on. Aside from the excellent gun play, this game is probably the most repititive game ive ever played. And it's also probably my most played game. The expensive DLC with barely any content just makes it feel extremely soulless imo. Tbh why does every major game starting to feel like this? Killzone is the last major game ive played that hasn't tried to wring my pockets dry. And yet, I find myself coming back to the game. And enjoying it (aside from the usual raging and bashing) Whether if that speaks towards my weak will or something else I don't know. Oh well. It's not as if what I say changes anything

The rest of the games im either not familiar with, not played or didn't follow

ya I bought the LE destiny for 99 dollars and what it's basically taught me is the same thing ive learned about other shooters with dlc... just wait for some type of special edition with map packs included for like 40 bucks....
Look at destiny, if you bought the game now, you could grind to level 31 in a few weeks/months, and you are no worse for the wear. depending on RNG you could be as powerful and have as much fun as anyone who payed double.

definitely will not be buying destiny 2 new.

LTWood12

I'm thinking tomorrow will be Icebreaker (assuming it's still in his rng list of sellables). Seen so many drop this week, unfortunately none of them for me. Still need it.

blazeuk

Anyone running Crota right now? Got to the Crota CP last night with a group from LFG website and it didn't go too well (as tends to happen with random groups) so need to finish. Either that or HM VoG.

Hyun Sai

Well, honestly ? For a Full Priced + DLC AAA shooter by the makers of Halo, I expected something else than F2P Warframe level of story line.

I don't think I'm alone in this case.

Cømet

Banned
just skip school and go play video games, none of those classes sounds too complicated. I'm sure there's a youtube video that can summarize whatever they are teaching in that numberology class or whatever.

Considering what you can find on youtube these days, probably!

Learned my Control theory course off of YT, better than the lectures we had.

In the same boat....
Well E-coli serotyping is my current order of business

Ophelion

Hey all, I picked up Destiny on the cheap a few weeks ago and just got my first character to 20. Should I pick up The Dark Below at this point? Is it going to make the road to gearing up any easier? Or is that not going to matter until I reach max gear level for the base game?

Also, I don't really...MMO, so any tips on what I can do to quickly become competent now that I can't really solo my way to victory anymore would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

E92 M3

ya I bought the LE destiny for 99 dollars and what it's basically taught me is the same thing ive learned about other shooters with dlc... just wait for some type of special edition with map packs included for like 40 bucks....
Look at destiny, if you bought the game now, you could grind to level 31 in a few weeks/months, and you are no worse for the wear. depending on RNG you could be as powerful and have as much fun as anyone who payed double.

To be fair, I bought the digital guardian edition for 90 and got my money's worth and more.

#ForeverNoWhatever Runs!

Since the runs themselves have started to move away from exclusively the Vex itself, myself included (hooooray 43 HM runs laters!), anyone can join these runs in hope of "whatever" exotic weapon you may be still hunting for.

Atheon now gives 331 exotic weapons so even better!

We have a Hard Mode Atheon checkpoint, and we will be taking him down 3 times, so please have at least 2 characters and be willing to help with the third run.

When: Today - 8:00pm EST

Roster
1. Cosmos_Man (Me)
2. PuMa
3. OPEN
4. OPEN
5. OPEN
6. OPEN

Please reply with your PSN name and I will add you to the list!
Got room for the Lushman? I've two characters that can join. I'm already on your friends list, but my PSN is DJ_Lushious.

Yesterday was the first day I didn't play Destiny in a long time.
Worked from 9am to 2am this morning. Now back at work.

The good news is... I pretty much dominated an insane day of work and the weekend will be some (hopefully) awesome IB time. Thank you Tempered Buffs.

commish

We may like the game but every single Gaffer I played with here has complained about something about this game that Forbes mentioned. Even if you didn't follow the development, we can all agree the game's story and world is quite small and underdeveloped.

Without question. As I said, these issues are pretty much indisputable. As I always say, the most amazing thing about Destiny is its potential. Think of all of our main issues - story, some basic gameplay/UI stuff (e.g., more vault space, accepting missions through app, better loot system, more varied locations, better clan/communication system, better matchmaking). These are EASILY fixed in updates/sequels down the road. Destiny 2 should be the game of forever, really.

Sullichin

Hey all, I picked up Destiny on the cheap a few weeks ago and just got my first character to 20. Should I pick up The Dark Below at this point? Is it going to make the road to gearing up any easier? Or is that not going to matter until I reach max gear level for the base game?

Also, I don't really...MMO, so any tips on what I can do to quickly become competent now that I can't really solo my way to victory anymore would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
You can currently reach level 31, but not 32 without the DLC. It adds more daily bounties for more XP, quests that give XP and one that gives level 31 gloves. Sometimes the daily story mission or weekly heroic / nightfall are DLC missions and require it to complete, same with the weapons and armor Xur can sell on weekends.

commish

But you're ignoring the 4 months of fun most of us have already had with the game.

LiK

Without question. As I said, these issues are pretty much indisputable. As I always say, the most amazing thing about Destiny is its potential. Think of all of our main issues - story, some basic gameplay/UI stuff (e.g., more vault space, accepting missions through app, better loot system, more varied locations, better clan/communication system, better matchmaking). These are EASILY fixed in updates/sequels down the road. Destiny 2 should be the game of forever, really.

I'm hoping Destiny 2 lives up to the potential. Hope they take everything they learned from this game and make it better. I want a more cohesive story and world. and give us more PVP maps, dammit.

Ophelion

You can currently reach level 31, but not 32 without the DLC. It adds more daily bounties for more XP, quests that give XP and one that gives level 31 gloves. Sometimes the daily story mission or weekly heroic / nightfall are DLC missions and require it to complete, same with the weapons and armor Xur can sell on weekends.

That sounds like a yes to me then, Ok, thanks for the info!

noomi

I'm pretty sure Xur would sell icebreaker before he would ever sell the gjallarhorn again.

Would make sense for universal remote or thunderlord however.

Say anything else you want about the game good or bad, but let's not pretend they didn't promise an "epic" story. Hell, it says "rich cinematic storytelling" on the back of the box lol.

To be fair, I bought the digital guardian edition for 90 and got my money's worth and more.

I like to do the math on it like this.

Bungie says I've played the following:
Titan: 13d 5h
Warlock: 2d 6h
Hunter: 2d 21h

Total: 18 days 8 hours. (or just 440 hours). I've paid roughly 80 bucks to play the game. So by my match, I'm paying roughly 18 cents an hour for enjoyment.

I use this same "formula" for most games I purchase as a measure of if they are worth it or not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey all, I picked up Destiny on the cheap a few weeks ago and just got my first character to 20. Should I pick up The Dark Below at this point?
That depends! Are you enjoying the game enough that you think you definitely will buy it? If so, there's no reason to wait. You might as well have access to all the content and gear. But:
Is it going to make the road to gearing up any easier?
No- the gear you can get from the vendors in game right now (the Vanguard should be your priority unless you primarily play PvP) will get you all the way to Level 31, which is more than adequate for everything in the game at the moment. The gear from the DLC raid is what you need to get to the current max of 32.

Considering you just hit 20, you'll be getting to ~25 with rares while working toward your first legendary armor piece (Vanguard Rank 2, 75 marks). Check out the guides in the OP are still mostly accurate with some small caveats to the formula- buy gloves and boots first from the Vendor.

edit: Good point made above- buy boots first, and you can get gloves as a quest reward if you do buy the DLC.

Play with GAF! Soon you'll be ready for Roc Strikes (a level 26 playlist), the Vault of lass on Normal (28 ideal, but 26 is completely viable), and Weekly Heroics (can be run at various levels for corresponding amounts of reward). Are you on PS4?

Qwell

But you're ignoring the 4 months of fun most of us have already had with the game.
Yah... I mean the same thing could be said about any game, hell just wait a little bit longer and pick it up for $20 and probably have even more maps.

Top Bottom