• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

joecanada

Apparently I am a scout rifle magnet... I of course feel this is because RNG "knows" I never use them, I have gotten probably four legendaries this month..... would like to narrow it down...

are they really all that different? for instance I love the B-line Trauma for its faster ROF but my perks are firefly, explosive rds, criticals reload speed, which don't work together well... I have a NITC, a badger and another one,

Is there a standout I should look for ? perks ? range (perks) seems pretty pointless on a scout, but I'm really having a hard time picking one or two out of a pile here.

what do people look for in a scout?

Guys why yall doing the IB grind? I looked at the loot and it's just a bunch of L31 armor that we already got. Grinding for colors or something?

Wow, COD: AW is #2. Very coo I love that game too. Nice post
Gauntlets are L32 though and some of us a swimming in Motes of Light so we re-rolling them IB weapons to our liking

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhhhh I reached IB Rank 2 this morning... it was not that hard.

Needs Rank 4.

I'm playing with my Hunter lvl 28 so it is easy to use matchmaking because it puts me with guys between lvl 24 and 29... trying to play with a GAF group of lvl 32 was really useless.

I'm a bit better on PVP too doing > 1 kill/death.

ocean

Banned
Apparently I am a scout rifle magnet... I of course feel this is because RNG "knows" I never use them, I have gotten probably four legendaries this month..... would like to narrow it down...

are they really all that different? for instance I love the B-line Trauma for its faster ROF but my perks are firefly, explosive rds, criticals reload speed, which don't work together well... I have a NITC, a badger and another one,

Is there a standout I should look for ? perks ? range (perks) seems pretty pointless on a scout, but I'm really having a hard time picking one or two out of a pile here.

If you have one with Firefly and something like Outlaw (fast reload on precision kills), you hit the jackpot. After using Fatebringer I've been spoiled and feel that's the absolute best perk combo you can find in a gun.

ethomaz

Banned
#ForeverNoWhatever Runs!

Since the runs themselves have started to move away from exclusively the Vex itself, myself included (hooooray 43 HM runs laters!), anyone can join these runs in hope of "whatever" exotic weapon you may be still hunting for.

Atheon now gives 331 exotic weapons so even better!

We have a Hard Mode Atheon checkpoint, and we will be taking him down 3 times, so please have at least 2 characters and be willing to help with the third run.

When: Today - 8:00pm EST

Roster
1. Cosmos_Man (Me)
2. PuMa
3. OPEN
4. OPEN
5. OPEN
6. OPEN

Please reply with your PSN name and I will add you to the list!
I'm open for two runs but I will help with the third ;)

PSN: ethomaz

joecanada

I believe there's an excel chart on Reddit that will tell you what you need.

ah thanks I did glance over that but didn't feel like doing the math.... I think you would need a 60-70% buff though by saturday to really catch up...... I would be looking to get to level 5 in 12 hours or less....

XblogPSN

Neo Member
Just one question : is it possible to win/loot (at the end of the match of an iron banner) specifics iron banner's weapons ?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I use this same "formula" for most games I purchase as a measure of if they are worth it or not.
I'm scared to look how much I played, but would wager it's cents on the dollar as well. Exceptional value proposition. Right up there with Dark Souls, Skyrim and other shooter.
This is a great perspective and it's nice to see other fixtures here that share it.

It's a simple formula indeed:
(Price of Entry) / (Hours of Enjoyment) = Value in dollars per hour

Destiny has already skyrocketed to pretty elite company in my gaming log, in terms of this value determination. It's why I can find myself agreeing with complaints about repetition in the lack of variety sense- I am thirsty for more stuff- but not as much as most people in the so much grind sense. In other words, the complaints are often conflated (so little content/so much grinding), but they're wholly distinct. The way I play, the degree of grind is actually not of particular concern to me... because just about everything you can do in the game is inadvertently "grinding" at something or other, and I'm having fun while doing it. The way some people talk, it's really as though they'd prefer they were done with Destiny already, as though that'd make the experience markedly better for them. In other words, rather than having a "next goal" in terms of vertical progression, however arbitrary, all the requirements were loosened to the point where they'd, right now, already completely accomplished everything possible and had nothing left to do, at which point they'd presumably stop playing (or, perhaps more likely, just shift their complaints to "there's nothing left for me to do" more rapidly).

This isn't to defend design decisions that evoke the sensation of punishing effort/time invested such as the exotic upgrade scheme, so much as it's a perspective on the nature of grinding altogether. The amount of time I can play a game and still want to keep playing it- the span of time in which I'm still having fun with the product I paid for- is one of the surest indicators to me of its quality. While there are absolutely other factors, and very short experiences can undoubtedly be fantastic games, by and large these will be priced to match and the formula holds true. How much or how little repetition I'm expected to do to progress actually becomes a little irrelevant; it has far more to do with how consistently I'm able to have fun. And beneath the surface, a lot of people who play videogames, which are almost universally designed to be replayable in some way, agree with this even if they don't realize it.

This is why, while I can respect an enormous number of complaints and acknowledgement of the game's many flaws, any rant that starts with "I've played for 500 hours and here's why Destiny is broken and Bungie owes me an explanation and needs to change course, and don't tell me that because I've played this many hours I must have enjoyed it" will lose me 100%. It doesn't matter to me how pertinent the complaints that follow will be, it's just conceding the argument up front. They're telling me that they've thrown the "formula" above into the garbage altogether. Screw hours of enjoyment- they kept playing for some other reason, and a game designer can't factor that into design and expect to come out the other end with something fun to experience.

I hope I expressed that well enough. I personally don't want there to be more grinding, as in and of itself vertical progression does nothing for me. Hopefully that point didn't get mixed up in there.
Without question. As I said, these issues are pretty much indisputable. As I always say, the most amazing thing about Destiny is its potential. Think of all of our main issues - story, some basic gameplay/UI stuff (e.g., more vault space, accepting missions through app, better loot system, more varied locations, better clan/communication system, better matchmaking). These are EASILY fixed in updates/sequels down the road. Destiny 2 should be the game of forever, really.
This is a good outlook. While I wouldn't characterize anything you put here as "gameplay" (they're all pretty textbook quality of life features, except for more varied locations which is purely content), they do represent concretely fixable flaws.

My one concern about the future of the franchise is that its level of success will indicate that a completely revamped story presentation and substantial improvements to narrative quality shouldn't be a primary concern. While critical reception that mocks your plotline is certainly a cause for alarm... money talks louder. Sadly, my hopes for a compelling storyline at any point in the entire span of the Destiny franchise are pretty sunken beneath the waves. But again, I always feel compelled to mention that the narrative in the Halo games really didn't ever strike me as anything special. I could absolutely see it reaching that level with future installments.

joecanada

If you have one with Firefly and something like Outlaw (fast reload on precision kills), you hit the jackpot. After using Fatebringer I've been spoiled and feel that's the absolute best perk combo you can find in a gun.

ah thanks a lot... this makes sense... see my b line trauma would be perfect as it has all this but then add in explosive rounds and it messes up the outlaw perk basically.... really dissapointing... and unfortunately the only other perk on it to replace is fast swap, which i guess could be okay..........

gdt

Lol wat. Firefly and Outlaw literally are made for each other. Turn off explosive rounds though, they steal crit kills.

I don't like B line too much though, rof is too high, impact is too low.

Hyun Sai

#ForeverNoWhatever Runs!

Since the runs themselves have started to move away from exclusively the Vex itself, myself included (hooooray 43 HM runs laters!), anyone can join these runs in hope of "whatever" exotic weapon you may be still hunting for.

Atheon now gives 331 exotic weapons so even better!

We have a Hard Mode Atheon checkpoint, and we will be taking him down 3 times, so please have at least 2 characters and be willing to help with the third run.

When: Today - 8:00pm EST

Roster
1. Cosmos_Man (Me)
2. PuMa
3. OPEN
4. OPEN
5. OPEN
6. OPEN

Please reply with your PSN name and I will add you to the list!

I'm up for it.

PSN : Hyunsai

So I just hit level 2 IB last night... am I on track for level 5 this weekend if I keep using the buff and playing a bunch of matches every night? I usually get 2-3 of the IB bounties done every night.

Just trying to gauge my progress related to everyone else on here... probably a bad idea... but whatever...

I haven't bothered ranking up IB before but going to this week since i like handcannons. I've been playing ~90-100 mins for the past 3 days every day, not activated the buff yet and only remembered to equip the shader/class item today (do they really do anything?). I only do 2 of the bounties - 10k xp and melee kills.

With 3 days in I am 500/2500 rank 2, I'll probably spend a mote and activate the buff tomorrow or saturday and continue playing an hour or two every day. If necessary I'll spend a lot more time on monday, but I'm hoping to hit rank 5 earlier.

I do play solo (daytime) and the only thing I do is once I am up to 4 coin losses I just quit the game if it looks bad early on. otherwise I press on while watching TV, haven't gotten anything interesting yet but seen a couple of ships and guns for others.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ah thanks a lot... this makes sense... see my b line trauma would be perfect as it has all this but then add in explosive rounds and it messes up the outlaw perk basically.... really dissapointing... and unfortunately the only other perk on it to replace is fast swap, which i guess could be okay..........
what's the third one..?

ethomaz

Banned
Guys why yall doing the IB grind? I looked at the loot and it's just a bunch of L31 armor that we already got. Grinding for colors or something?
I'm doing IB because my Hunter lvl 28 needs that Gloves +36 light... I can't do CE with it yet so the best way is not upgrade any Gloves before get this from IB.

You can get 36 Light Gauntlets. You can also buy the highest impact Hand Cannon in the game, with the possibility of playing the slots using your Motes to re roll until you get perks you like.

It's also pretty fun when you're in a GAF group :) I've been lusting for a Saterienne Rapier since TDB launched but don't enjoy Crucible that much. This is a great way to get the Marks I need while having fun with cool players from here.

Yeah, Iron Banner is helping me finally get crucible marks and rep. I'm hoping to be level 3 in crucible by the end of the week. I never expected to get there, but it's a lot easier to find people on GAF to play with than a regular week.

Navy Bean

Only reason I'm running IB is for the Hand Cannon and trying to roll some good perks. Has anyone used Timur's Lash? Please tell me it's worth it.

I just bought The Chance and got a Thorn so part of me thinks I'm just overcompensating for my lack of a Fatebringer...lol.

Anastasis

About to bite the bullet and get some alts of the different classes up and running. Quick question: is there any way to buy vendor gear for them using my main or do I have to rank up the vendors of each of the alts as well?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The gloves are level 32. These take ascendant, rather than radiant shards, which can afford you a substantially faster path to 32 on a character that doesn't have upgraded raid gloves yet.

TImur's Lash and the Rocket Launcher available for sale are both extremely solid weapons, and can be rerolled for perks at will.

Some people enjoy/prefer the aesthetics of the IB gear and believe it or not, are willing to put in the effort just for that.

I still want the space bus.

Only reason I'm running IB is for the Hand Cannon and trying to roll some good perks. Has anyone used Timur's Lash? Please tell me it's worth it.

I just bought The Chance and got a Thorn so part of me thinks I'm just overcompensating for my lack of a Fatebringer...lol.

I got it on IB 2.0 and it was OK. The ROF and reload are a little too slow for my taste, but I guess that's the trade off for the high impact.

Shito

Oh yea, PSN maintenance was today
There's a psn maintenance today?
Damn, why can't Sony communicate on those better? Can't they send us a message on our account to warn us about that? I shouldn't have to follow a twitter account or read a promotional blog to know about this stuff...

LiK

Damn, why can't Sony communicate on those better? Can't they send us a message on our account to warn us about that? I shouldn't have to follow a twitter account or read a promotional blog to know about this stuff...

I learned about it from a GAF thread earlier this week, lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
About to bite the bullet and get some alts of the different classes up and running. Quick question: is there any way to buy vendor gear for them using my main or do I have to rank up the vendors of each of the alts as well?
Weapons you can buy and transfer, but you probably get it: reaching Vanguard Rank 2 is basically your first goal on any new character. You can only buy your own class vendor's legendary armor.

patchday

The gloves are level 32. These take ascendant, rather than radiant shards, which can afford you a substantially faster path to 32 on a character that doesn't have upgraded raid gloves yet.

TImur's Lash and the Rocket Launcher available for sale are both extremely solid weapons, and can be rerolled for perks at will.

Some people enjoy/prefer the aesthetics of the IB gear and believe it or not, are willing to put in the effort just for that.

I still want the space bus.

Ah its the gloves, ty

joecanada

Lol wat. Firefly and Outlaw literally are made for each other. Turn off explosive rounds though, they steal crit kills.

I don't like B line too much though, rof is too high, impact is too low.

Yes firefly and Outlaw are great but you can't use explosive rounds. I'm only left with precision glass and swap faster.
So yes it's okay but not an A+ gun.

For anyone rolling in IB, to clarify with explosive rounds and Outlaw and firefly... Only firefly triggers Outlaw, explosive rounds will negate your other criticals... I've tested this extensiveLy.

BTW what do people use on fatebringer? Field scout only gives +1

I didn't know this either :/
I'm just cooking dinner then was going to sit down for an evening of Destiny.

Anastasis

Weapons you can buy and transfer, but you probably get it: reaching Vanguard Rank 2 is basically your first goal on any new character. You can only buy your own class vendor's legendary armor.

Thanks! That's what I thought. Bummer.

Why can't my Titan borrow a cloak from one of you and just try to fake out Nathan Fillion?

Finally got the Fatebringer 2.0

10931618_979448285418438_8467692364620862533_o.jpg

They really need to get hard mode out, surprised it's taking this long. Makes me wonder what they are actually doing with it.

It need to come out soon. I still enjoy CE, but I'm ready for hard mode. I want a shot at some of the new raid primaries. I need them. Plus double drops would help get my last alt to 32.

Karl2177

They really need to get hard mode out, surprised it's taking this long. Makes me wonder what they are actually doing with it.

They're adding a few things and removing some cheese. From what I've heard, Ogres during Crota will be interesting.

Top Bottom