• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

E92 M3

This is a great perspective and it's nice to see other fixtures here that share it.

It's a simple formula indeed:
(Price of Entry) / (Hours of Enjoyment) = Value in dollars per hour

Destiny has already skyrocketed to pretty elite company in my gaming log, in terms of this value determination. It's why I can find myself agreeing with complaints about repetition in the lack of variety sense- I am thirsty for more stuff- but not as much as most people in the so much grind sense. In other words, the complaints are often conflated (so little content/so much grinding), but they're wholly distinct. The way I play, the degree of grind is actually not of particular concern to me... because just about everything you can do in the game is inadvertently "grinding" at something or other, and I'm having fun while doing it. The way some people talk, it's really as though they'd prefer they were done with Destiny already, as though that'd make the experience markedly better for them. In other words, rather than having a "next goal" in terms of vertical progression, however arbitrary, all the requirements were loosened to the point where they'd, right now, already completely accomplished everything possible and had nothing left to do, at which point they'd presumably stop playing (or, perhaps more likely, just shift their complaints to "there's nothing left for me to do" more rapidly).

This isn't to defend design decisions that evoke the sensation of punishing effort/time invested such as the exotic upgrade scheme, so much as it's a perspective on the nature of grinding altogether. The amount of time I can play a game and still want to keep playing it- the span of time in which I'm still having fun with the product I paid for- is one of the surest indicators to me of its quality. While there are absolutely other factors, and very short experiences can undoubtedly be fantastic games, by and large these will be priced to match and the formula holds true. How much or how little repetition I'm expected to do to progress actually becomes a little irrelevant; it has far more to do with how consistently I'm able to have fun. And beneath the surface, a lot of people who play videogames, which are almost universally designed to be replayable in some way, agree with this even if they don't realize it.

This is why, while I can respect an enormous number of complaints and acknowledgement of the game's many flaws, any rant that starts with "I've played for 500 hours and here's why Destiny is broken and Bungie owes me an explanation and needs to change course, and don't tell me that because I've played this many hours I must have enjoyed it" will lose me 100%. It doesn't matter to me how pertinent the complaints that follow will be, it's just conceding the argument up front. They're telling me that they've thrown the "formula" above into the garbage altogether. Screw hours of enjoyment- they kept playing for some other reason, and a game designer can't factor that into design and expect to come out the other end with something fun to experience.

I hope I expressed that well enough. I personally don't want there to be more grinding, as in and of itself vertical progression does nothing for me. Hopefully that point didn't get mixed up in there.

This is a good outlook. While I wouldn't characterize anything you put here as "gameplay" (they're all pretty textbook quality of life features, except for more varied locations which is purely content), they do represent concretely fixable flaws.

My one concern about the future of the franchise is that its level of success will indicate that a completely revamped story presentation and substantial improvements to narrative quality shouldn't be a primary concern. While critical reception that mocks your plotline is certainly a cause for alarm... money talks louder. Sadly, my hopes for a compelling storyline at any point in the entire span of the Destiny franchise are pretty sunken beneath the waves. But again, I always feel compelled to mention that the narrative in the Halo games really didn't ever strike me as anything special. I could absolutely see it reaching that level with future installments.

Eloquent and on-point as usual, Hawk.

Don't look lol.. it's a lot

I do love idling >.>

spyder_ur

Hopefully we get a release date for Hard Mode from the Weekly Update today

They really need to get hard mode out, surprised it's taking this long. Makes me wonder what they are actually doing with it.

It need to come out soon. I still enjoy CE, but I'm ready for hard mode. I want a shot at some of the new raid primaries. I need them. Plus double drops would help get my last alt to 32.

I think we're all getting to that point, but honestly, what's the real rush? Once Hard Mode comes out, what do you have to do until the next DLC? There's no real point to grinding Hard Mode at least once you get the weapons. I want to see it as bad as everyone, but 3 weeks after it releases it'll feel mundane.

i'd play iron banner if bungie would drop me a legendary with unflinching. wish i had a final boss drop before the DLC.

a sniper that takes 2 headshots to kill is useless :/

blackflag

Cheese or not they need to get hard mode out at this point. I actually agreed with their idea to hold it a few weeks so they can respond and fix the cheese but it's been too long now.

spyder_ur

In Iron Banner are people noticing much (or any) difference between playing as a 32 vs. 31? My Titan is 32, but I'd rather play as my 31 Hunter because he needs the gauntlets and I enjoy PVP more with him.

Also, how do 300 attack weapons hold up in IB? Fine I'm guessing?

lunlunqq

Anyone up to yet another quick HM Gatekeeper + Atheon run? I still have one more CP at the Gorgon's. It will be two chances of Lvl32 exotics plus whatever old raid weapons you still want.

HM Gatekeeper + Atheon starting as soon as a full team's formed.

1. lunlunqq

gdt

Yes firefly and Outlaw are great but you can't use explosive rounds. I'm only left with precision glass and swap faster.
So yes it's okay but not an A+ gun.

For anyone rolling in IB, to clarify with explosive rounds and Outlaw and firefly... Only firefly triggers Outlaw, explosive rounds will negate your other criticals... I've tested this extensiveLy.

BTW what do people use on fatebringer? Field scout only gives +1

Yes of course but really explosive rounds sucks.

Because it fuck with the main perks. Use anything other than explosive rounds really.

Anyone up to yet another quick HM Gatekeeper + Atheon run? I still have one more CP at the Gorgon's. It will be two chances of Lvl32 exotics plus whatever old raid weapons you still want.

1. lunlunqq

Hey Ill join. My psn is same as gaf

Finding it hard to keep playing this game. It doesn't help that RNG keeps blessing me with the things I need so I don't have much of a desire to play certain things.

I got Hard Light from nightfall this week so that only leaves Red Death as the last Exotic that I need.

I also got Titan Raid Boots this week so now I have all armor pieces for Titan and Hunter and 3 armor pieces for Warlock. I also have all raid weapons available.

I said this all the way at the beginning when Xur started selling the best shit..... If you give people what they want... they will stop playing.

I'm looking forward to Hard Raid though. But if next DLC increases weapon cap then I'm not sure if I'm going to be purchasing it.

In Iron Banner are people noticing much (or any) difference between playing as a 32 vs. 31? My Titan is 32, but I'd rather play as my 31 Hunter because he needs the gauntlets and I enjoy PVP more with him.

Play with who needs it. I've been playing with my 31, and I don't feel underpowered or anything. Don't know about 300 attack weapons since my primary PvP weapons have all been upgraded.

Finding it hard to keep playing this game. It doesn't help that RNG keeps blessing me with the things I need so I don't have much of a desire to play certain things.

I got Hard Light from nightfall this week so that only leaves Red Death as the last Exotic that I need.

I also got Titan Raid Boots this week so now I have all armor pieces for Titan and Hunter and 3 armor pieces for Warlock. I also have all raid weapons available.

I said this all the way at the beginning when Xur started selling the best shit..... If you give people what they want... they will stop playing.

I'm looking forward to Hard Raid though. But if next DLC increases weapon cap then I'm not sure if I'm going to be purchasing it.

Yeah. But you aren't the normal player. I'm sure bungie is quite content with the amount you've played. Meanwhile the average player has maybe 2 exotics. Total.

Why don't you just buy the LDR from the vanguard?

4 rounds
icebreaker RoF (18. my hierachon is twice as fast at 37 and there are snipers that have 43 RoF)
low stability

S9Am5.gif

the antithesis of a pvp sniper

Ryck

Got a Crota check point so I am going to be trying to take him down with my 32 Warlock ( lol ) if anyone wants to jump on and give me a hand that would be great. Otherwise I'll keep trying to beat him solo. ( I got him down to a 1/4 once!)

Ps4: Ryck007

zewone

i'd play iron banner if bungie would drop me a legendary with unflinching. wish i had a final boss drop before the DLC.

a sniper that takes 2 headshots to kill is useless :/

Go for Prudence II from New Monarchy.

It's stats are similar to FINAL BOSS, but better in just about every way important.

PII has 40 RoF vs. FB 38
PII has 48 Stability vs. FB 44
PII has 78 Reload vs. FB 73
Both have a base magazine of 4, but field scout can take care of that.

With that said, I love my Unflinching FINAL BOSS. My favorite PVP sniper.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

31 is more than fine and very few players will be a higher level than you. 300 attack weapons are also more than fine. I still use my 300 attack corrective measure and shotgun.

Go for Prudence II from New Monarchy.

It's stats are similar to FINAL BOSS, but better in just about every way important.

PII has 40 RoF vs. FB 38
PII has 48 Stability vs. FB 44
PII has 78 Reload vs. FB 73

With that said, I love my Unflinching FINAL BOSS. My favorite PVP sniper.

so i just have to bribe the executor and hope he drops a prudence with unflinching...

my body is not ready

edit: oh and more than 4 rounds.

Navy Bean

I don't see any difference at all from regular Crucible except maybe in melee attacks. Maybe.

ethomaz

Banned

1. lunlunqq
I'm down... PSN: ethomaz

It's going to be tough, but I just wanted you to know there's still hope.

well my trusty rocket launcher that's been with me since September was dropped from new monarchy.

and i don't have a single rep towards them.

so maybe it's time to ascend to the throne.

prudence would match my red cloak too :3

Top Bottom