• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My point was if other people want a try making an OT they should get the chance. It doesn't mean Boguester should have to stop forever, for example. Variety is the spice of life. I still think it's more important for the new person to work it out with the current person than anything else.
Yeah I literally just want to make the single one, as a look back on our first year. All of the reasoning I used when I first decided against continuing to do it all still apply, especially a huge new release coming- Boguester has been doing a phenomenal job and should keep it going. It's just the one thread I wanted to do to demonstrate that I still care enormously about the community and just show generally how much fun and straight up madness the first year of this game's existence has been.
I think we're hitting the "everyone is impatient for 2.0 rebalancing and TTK to drop already" wall.
Not me :p I need more time to beat Bloodborne ;_______;

darthbob

I turned on my PS4.
See friend list.

Fig... she is playing...

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I can't even play other game now... I need this in my veins.

I'MMMMMMM NUUUUUUCLEAAAAAR!

was only able to preorder the xbone CE hope it actually ships

Destiny's UI is sogood.gif I decided to build off of it for a gargantuan infographic. Here's a teaser.

V6vISq4.png

Soon.

Looks really really good.

If there was a way to make the text on the images searchable then it would be amazing.

Ophelion

Maybe now that the thread design stuff has calmed down, people would be interested in looking at my idea for a raid encounter I had.

I just...I just want someone to think my idea is cool. *pouts*

And if that someone happens to be named Luke Smith, I live in Bellevue, dude. The commute would be no problem. Just sayin'... ;-)

noomi

Its only about 2 hours long. Play it in one session. You wont regret it. Ive actually only played it once so not to tarnish that 1st experience

Cool, I'll do it tonight then.

- Booze
- Headphones
- Dark Room
- Charged Controller

I'm getting it done!

LTWood12

If there are two people in this thread that have earned the privilege (& burden) of creating the OTs, it's Boguester (w Lnkn!) & Hawkian. Both of these guys are a big part of what makes this place special. Constantly answering questions from newbies, spending time helping 1st timers get things done, and creating content that we all love to read. They're leaders because they lead. I get people wanting to be inclusive and say 'anyone should be able to do it.' But practically speaking, that doesn't work and never has, in ANY sort of community.

shermas

Iron Banner grind with randoms is real... first time I've ever really tried to play this mode (not a huge PvP guy) and it can be pretty frustrating.

lt519

Simplygames has been sending it early to those who preordered from them.

Hey Nami, did you do the Vex and Cabal posts? I was avoiding the OT like the plague last couple days so I didn't see reactions/content of the exotics/strike.

Iron Banner grind with randoms is real... first time I've ever really tried to play this mode (not a huge PvP guy) and it can be pretty frustrating.

Hate the 3.0 K/D guy with zero captures who comes in 4th on the team when you lose by 1000 points. Meanwhile I'm sporting a 1.25 K/D trying to sacrifice my body to keep B capture rolling.

rNilla

If there are two people in this thread that have earned the privilege of creating the OTs, it's Boguester (w Lnkn!) & Hawkian. Both of these guys are a big part of what makes this place special. Constantly answering questions from newbies, spending time helping 1st timers get things done, and creating content that we all love to read. They're leaders because they lead. I get people wanting to be inclusive and say 'anyone should be able to do it.' But practically speaking, that doesn't work and never has, in ANY sort of community.

I wholeheartedly disagree and it surprises and saddens me, especially given all of the recent discussion about inclusion and cliques, that anyone would have a problem with what I'm saying.

What am I missing about the OT that makes the requirements for posting one so high? It's updating a post, most of which is literally copy/pasted from the previous one, unless the poster wants to put their own touch on it. Yes, it requires paying attention to the community, gathering knowledge, being familiar with the subject at hand. It's not for everyone but it's also not for some elite .01% of community members.

I feel like you guys are associating things with posting the OT that have nothing to do with that role. You shouldn't have to be a GAF God to make an OT.

Namikaze1

Hey Nami, did you do the Vex and Cabal posts? I was avoiding the OT like the plague last couple days so I didn't see reactions/content of the exotics/strike.

Hate the 3.0 K/D guy with zero captures who comes in 4th on the team when you lose by 1000 points. Meanwhile I'm sporting a 1.25 K/D trying to sacrifice my body to keep B capture rolling.
I did! :)
There's a link at the bottom to the Vex one.
jrB6VB4.jpg

Brief History
Off in Mars, a war is brewing between the cybernetic Vex and the highly militarized Cabal.

No one knows why there's a heavy Cabal presence on Mars. In the Vanguard's eyes, the Cabal are in the solar system to do what they know best: conquer worlds. Though word is spreading of how the Cabal were driven to our solar system by an unknown force. What they were running from remains a mystery to us all.

Unrelenting and tactically superior, the Cabal are the greatest known military force in the system. Few Guardians have lived to tell the tale of their military might.

While unclear as to why they're in our solar system, in the brief time they have been here, the Cabal gained a massive foothold with Mars. They attempted to expand their hold to the Vex controlled Mercury but the Cabal squads sent there were never heard from again. Signs of them ever being in Mercury can be found in Vertigo. A rogue sector attempted to takeover the Reef. They were stopped in their efforts to do so.

The new Guardians of Earth would end up finding a Ghost on Mars. The Ghost had set out to find a Guardian on Mars. It had failed in doing so but in the process, it gathered intel on the Cabal forces. The Guardians learned there was a massive Cabal empire many star systems away. And like any empire, there were some who held no allegiance to said empire. The Ghost believed the Cabal on Mars to be deserters of the greater Cabal Empire.

As it kept watching them, learning how they interacted with one another, the entrances to their bases, how they trained, and much more, the Ghost suspected these Cabal didn't simply deserted the empire. They were running from something. What that is remains a mystery.

When the Guardians activated the Vex sensors on Venus, they inadvertently woken up the Vex. The Cabal on Mars had began to study the Black Gate. Due to their presence near it, the Vex went about in protecting the gate by all means necessary. Their battles escalated into war. The Guardians of Earth would find themselves in the middle of it as they set out to destroy the Black Heart.

Cabal Forces
The backbone of the Cabal's military power, the Legionary are at the forefront of the battles. They are heavily armored and well trained in combat. Armed with the Slug Rifle, they will aggressively seek out their prey. Due to their heavy armor, they are forced to use jetpacks in order to move around quickly.

The Phalanx provide the defense the Cabal need with their massive shields. From behind the safety of their shields, the Phalanx will shoot any incoming threat with one handed Projection Rifles.

The Centurion are stronger and faster than the Legionary and Phalanx. They use solar energy shields in place of lugging around a massive shield like the Phalanx. Their jetpacks can thrust them farther than the Legionary. Armed with a deadlier version of the Slug Rifle, the Centurion should never be taken lightly.

Colossus towers over all Cabal. These towering brutes are strong enough to carry massive gatling styled rotary cannon to battles.

The Psions are smaller than all other Cabal. They are often used as drivers for their vehicles due to their size. Don't let their size fool you. They can harness mental power, capable of sending a telekinetic wave at enemies. These powers made them the perfect unit for stealth based missions. Like the Phalanx, they are armed with Projection Rifles.

Cabal Ranking sytem
It is unclear what the exact Cabal hierarchy is but various ranks appear amongst the Cabal leaders:

Val is a rank seen among Phalanx and Centurions. It is believed they are a subordinate position to those with the Valus rank.

Valus is considered one of the top Cabal ranks and is reserved for the elite Centurions and Colossi.

Bracus is a rank seen among the centurions of the Sand Eater detachment. It is considered a low rank.

The Primus rank has been seen among the commanders of the Blind Legion and Sky Burners detachments. According to Vanguard Council member, Cayde-6, this rank is equivalent to that of an admiral.

Cabal Detachments

The Sky Burners legion served as Valus T'aurac's personal guards. They will stand in the way of all seeking to kill T'aurac.

The Siege Dancers are under the command of Valus T'aurac. They stand watch over the Trenchworks and the massive Imperial Land Tank the Valus commands. They're the first to be sent off to secured any unsecured area. Considered to be the Cabal's elite forward unit.

The Sand Eaters make up the bulk of the Cabal's presence on Mars. While considered to be a standard legion compared to the others, they more than make up for their ineffectiveness with their large numbers.

The Dust Giants are an elite legion primarily used in front line combat. The group is mostly made up of former Sand Eaters.

The Ice Reapers are an elite infantry force tasked with protecting Valus T'aurac, Psion Flayers, and the Dust Giants.

The Blind Legion are tasked with defending vital artifacts from Vex and Guardians alike seizing any artifacts found. They're the first and only choice for the Cabal when dealing with vital operations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For general information on the Fallen click here

For general information on the Hive click here

For general information on the Vex click here

And here's the banner I'll be using for when I get around to doing this for the Taken:
o07r0Nl.jpg

If there are two people in this thread that have earned the privilege (& burden) of creating the OTs, it's Boguester (w Lnkn!) & Hawkian. Both of these guys are a big part of what makes this place special. Constantly answering questions from newbies, spending time helping 1st timers get things done, and creating content that we all love to read. They're leaders because they lead. I get people wanting to be inclusive and say 'anyone should be able to do it.' But practically speaking, that doesn't work and never has, in ANY sort of community.

i think they've done a good job but if somebody wants to take a stab at it, it's only fair. the whole discussion the other day was just the confusion over how the new threads were going to be handled for TTK since they'll most likely be posted around the same date.

This is as good an image as I could find.

BOdbD85.png

shweet thanks

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Oh god what did the 4th character thread devolve into? I promised myself I wouldn't waste anymore time at work posting in those, but instead post in the OT as normal.

This

To you. Maybe not to someone else. This push back between Destiny Gaf and Non Destiny Gaf is old and getting annoying. Especially as someone who plays the game and sits directly in the middle.

this really has no place in the current discussion.

Then go talk to a mod and not waste a reply with this shitty response.

I've always thought of a raid in the European Dead Zone, with Fallen. Fight in the city streets against some elite Sniper Vandal with Heavy duty Shanks as his guards and shield. That has final round on every shot (or that can stun/paralyze you in one spot). I don't know they have a lot of things they can do but I want a Cabal raid and a Earth raid in the future.

neoism

I turned on my PS4.
See friend list.

Fig... she is playing...

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I can't even play other game now... I need this in my veins.

:( fig soo lucky never in me lyfe have i gotten a game early.... cant wait for sep 1st...

E92 M3

:( fig soo lucky never in me lyfe have i gotten a game early.... cant wait for sep 1st...

I remember driving to a shitty part of Philly to get Crackdown 4 days early. I was so hype playing it over the weekend. Also did the same for MW2.

Those were the days.

I need to find a video game store in LA that breaks street dates.

Haha. Everyone is thirsty for that Metal Gear. I haven't found any here in the Chicago area that break street date ever. Glad people got their hands on it early. I have some stuff to wrap up before TTK(marks and a few bounties) so I can wait until Tuesday.

LTWood12

I wholeheartedly disagree and it surprises and saddens me, especially given all of the recent discussion about inclusion and cliques, that anyone would have a problem with what I'm saying.

What am I missing about the OT that makes the requirements for posting one so high? It's updating a post, most of which is literally copy/pasted from the previous one, unless the poster wants to put their own touch on it. Yes, it requires paying attention to the community, gathering knowledge, being familiar with the subject at hand. It's not for everyone but it's also not for some elite .01% of community members.

I feel like you guys are associating things with posting the OT that have nothing to do with that role. You shouldn't have to be a GAF God to make an OT.

Best analogy I can think of is a kid's soccer team. You have the parents that step-up, volunteering their time & usually money to help organize practices, get uniforms, sponsers, etc. Then you have the parents who only show up to the games, and not even all of those, but always have an opinion about what the volunteers are doing wrong, how they should do this instead of that, and so on. But when it comes time to actually contribute, they're MIA.

To be clear Rodiard, you are absolutely not one of those types of people.

i think they've done a good job but if somebody wants to take a stab at it, it's only fair. the whole discussion the other day was just the confusion over how the new threads were going to be handled for TTK since they'll most likely be posted around the same date.

Sure. I'm just meant that saying ANYONE should be able to do it is a bit pie in the sky.

shermas

I need to find a video game store in LA that breaks street dates.

There used to be a couple in Long Beach and, further south, in Irvine. Back in the day, I would drive up there from San Diego to get my hands on NCAA and COD early. I haven't tried to break street date in a long time, though.

Namikaze1

I've always thought of a raid in the European Dead Zone, with Fallen. Fight in the city streets against some elite Sniper Vandal with Heavy duty Shanks as his guards and shield. That has final round on every shot (or that can stun/paralyze you in one spot). I don't know they have a lot of things they can do but I want a Cabal raid and a Earth raid in the future.
If there's a Fallen Faid on earth, I'm betting on the raid boss being the Kell of House of Kings. The Kings are the most dangerous of the Fallen Houses on Earth. Not just dangerous but secretive as well. We killed 3 of the Kings major Captains (there's a lot more) and remain in the dark about the whereabouts of their Kell.

I didnt even know having more than 3 characters was a sorespot for destiny detractors lol

how do they have 3 maxed characters and still want more?

Clearly it would be easy for someone to just vault away the gear and delete a character if they were willing to devote THAT much time

Deku Tree

I agree with this. I also think it should be something the community decides not something that people can just "claim" that they want to do with one post. It's a community thread not just a thread for one person to decide they want to make next.

rNilla

Best analogy I can think of is a kid's soccer team. You have the parents that step-up, volunteering their time & usually money to help organize practices, get uniforms, sponsers, etc. Then you have the parents who only show up to the games, and not even all of those, but always have an opinion about what the volunteers are doing wrong, how they should do this instead of that, and so on. But when it comes time to actually contribute, they're MIA.

To be clear Rodiard, you are absolutely not one of those types of people.

I guess I just don't follow. If someone wants to do an OT, isn't a complete stranger, is willing to dedicate their time to upkeep in a reasonable amount of time, etc. (these are things I assume would be taken for granted) I don't see why they shouldn't be able to work something out so that can happen in a future thread.

I agree with this. I also think it should be something the community decides not something that people can just "claim" that they want to do with one post. It's a community thread not just a thread for one person to decide they want to make next.

I agree to some extent but it shouldn't be a popularity contest either.

LTWood12

I guess I just don't follow. If someone wants to do an OT, isn't a complete stranger, is willing to dedicate their time to upkeep in a reasonable amount of time, etc. (these are things I assume would be taken for granted) I don't see why they shouldn't be able to work something out so that can happen in a future thread.

We are are the same page. I think I just got caught up in the semantics of it.

LordofPwn

Simplygames has been sending it early to those who preordered from them.

Not just her... I have 5 friends playing it already.

Some stores in US are sold out already reported in the review thread.

They broke the street date.... seems like UK and others places too.

wut... i shall search for this tonight.

Really excited for TTK too and if i can get into MGSV earlier the better. so less interference with new destiny content. Just finished up Witcher 3 main story the other night, never thought i'd see the end of that tunnel. Great game, big time sink.

time? that cant be right...

lt519

I did! :)
There's a link at the bottom to the Vex one.

Awesome work! I never really wanted to go read through all the grimoire cards separately and try and peice it together. The lore is actually pretty cool in the game, loved the bit about Kabr and the Vault of Glass, lends more weight to wearing the armor with his name, etc. Thanks for doing that!

Aye, not worth your time. I don't get why people don't come hang out in the OT and feel like they are in the "middle". I will admit it is clique-y and despite how often I post here and help out the community I still find myself occasionally on the outside looking in. It is intimidating for outsiders and I think we could be a little better at being accepting of people ducking in and out.

I mean no one is literally saying that, and to be fair none of us know how the game works and functions exactly except for bungie.

Apparently we're picking on gaming ? Or at war with them? Idk.

The limit seems by design to me.

Since they are going even further to link the characters with Collections, Marks, Glimmer, and Vault space

Its clear that your "character" is your PSN account and the 3 slots are meant to allow you to experience all 3 classes on one account (even though you can make 3 titans if you pleased)

Not sure what it would take to add more slots and it might get ridiculous. Makes me believe the limit is clearly intentional and isnt going to change

rNilla

We are are the same page. I think I just got caught up in the semantics of it.

The bane of all internet discussions!

I guess I left what I was saying pretty open and vague so I think I see where you disagreed.

I want to know how many posts in the last two or three threads have been meta OT discussion (including title suggestions). I think this far outweighs LFG at this point. :)

Ophelion

You could definitely do something with that kind of encounter. Especially since Fallen have a blink-like mechanic and I could see a sniper boss doing a super-blink teleport between several sniper nests on a map with a lot of cover. That would be really fun for people that are marksman. Maybe provide some close range adds that need to be mopped up by people that can't hit the bullseye from across the map at speed, so everyone feels like they're contributing. Maybe the shanks mentioned.

Lnkn52

I agree to some extent but it shouldn't be a popularity contest either.

Well just out of courtesy, it's best to ask the person that has been making the recent OTs to ask if they can make the next one; That's all. Be it Drizzay or Hawkian, w/e.

We all contribute in our own ways. I think we get it.

Top Bottom