• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

The dumbest part of the weapons parts nerf is that for many weapons you can't even tell if it's any good until you unlock the perks...and now it's just not worth leveling up a weapon unless you are sure ahead of time. Just a bad design choice.

Yep, they don't want us testing new weapons.

Is unfortunate that some decisions are tainting the overall good will. "Fuck Bungie" is obviously a poor shortcut to show disappointment, BUT I really hope the message gets back to the number crunchers that they are single handedly sucking the fun out of the game.

I can categorically say that any active player of Destiny would not have made this economy change. I am 100% sure about that. Show a single player that said "oh man, why are these weapon parts so abundant and easy to get?"

Number crunchers tend to ruin a lot. I know Luke won't comment on what goes on inside Bungie HQ, but I sure am hopeful it gets fixed within a month, max.

exYle

Still looking? I need arc as well. (Void too on another separate character if you are down for two runs.)

Psn is same as gaf.

Fuck yeah! I was doing the Imprecation quest while I waited. I'm Buttchin-n-Bones, I'm pretty sure you're on my friends list

Anyone else need an exotic sword?

GhaleonEB

My Hunter has been perpetually low on weapon parts for 3 weeks now. The infuse system is good but it's a weapon part hog, and for the 250-290 portion, progress was very incremental - I was infusing weapons to get them up 2-5 levels because those were the best drops I was getting. I had no idea I'd 1) get quests that asked for buckets of them, 2) run out of parts before I got to those quests, and 3) have the supply nerfed when I did run out. Right now my Hunter has two.

Dismantling blue engrams this morning and getting one weapon part for each was a big bucket of sadness. While not on the same level, it's the most explicit 'grind more' decision Bungie has made since asking us to reset our exotics in order to upgrade them. They earned a lot of goodwill for their overall TTK design and progression philosophy and I feel like this is a major step backward.

Naturally, I'm on the level 3 Gunsmith quest right now. He wants hand cannon weapon parts. This is going to take a long time. :\

shermas

Do you need to finish the story on all 3 toons to get all 3 exotic swords? I really don't want to slog through the levels again on my 3rd guy (even though most of the missions are fun).

Still need that Void sword, though.

Hoarding has been paying off in dividends for me since I started playing Destiny. Still have nearly 3k in ascended materials. I'll keep saying this until it changes, but Bungie made a game where a minimalist (not upgrading anything extra) playstyle pays off.

absolutely

dB Viper

A two-burst, all crit does 192 damage. So it's not really a 2-burst weapon. But!

From this excellent Pulse Rifle breakdown:

The Lowdown on 66 ROF weapons

If we're talking bodies... These guns are foolproof, plentiful, and consistent, as the most represented Pulse Rifle archetype in the game right now. Just ONE of the 9 bullets you shoot has to hit the head to guarantee a 3-burst KO with these guns. However, low downside means low upside - you'll never match the ideal kill times of the faster-firing 3-burst Pulse Rifles, or the slower-firing 2-burst Pulse Rifles. Jack of all trades, master of none.

The particular weapons are impressive - Nirwen's Mercy steals the show with 71 Stability and 65 Aim Assist, but closely behind is FWC's The Villainy at 65 Stability and 60 Aim Assist (but with 5 more Range than Nirwen's). Don't count out the SUROS PDX-41 though - with 48 Range, 68 Stability, and 55 Aim Assist, stacking it with double Stability perks gives you a feasible road to a much harder hitting version of the 73 RoF "laser" weapons discussed in the previous section.​

I have a SUROS PDX-45 with Perfect Balance, Full Auto and Injection Mold. Stability bar is maxed out. Love this thing in PvP. Not sure if I want to even try to get rank 5 in IB since I have this.

Sullichin

My Hunter has been perpetually low on weapon parts for 3 weeks now. The infuse system is good but it's a weapon part hog, and for the 250-290 portion, progress was very incremental - I was infusing weapons to get them up 2-5 levels because those were the best drops I was getting. I had no idea I'd 1) get quests that asked for buckets of them, 2) run out of parts before I got to those quests, and 3) have the supply nerfed when I did run out. Right now my Hunter has two.

Dismantling blue engrams this morning and getting one weapon part for each was a big bucket of sadness. While not on the same level, it's the most explicit 'grind more' decision Bungie has made since asking us to reset our exotics in order to upgrade them.

Naturally, I'm on the level 3 Gunsmith quest right now. He wants hand cannon weapon parts. This is going to take a long time. :\

Hopefully they didn't increase the amount of weapons you need to dismantle for that quest step. That would be bullshit. I used old Y1 legendary, it didn't take much.

My hunter is in a similar situation. I have like 3 weapon parts. It really sucks. Also I'm going to be like 100 points short of Rank 5 gunsmith this week. God damnit. It's going to take forever to get First Curse :(

the210

This drop rate is ridiculously bad. Best in game and I did't get anything. Yet to get a IB drop at all.

Honestly I think that's your problem right there. Rng seems to show mercy for the weak to keep us going. I mean you wouldn't give Donald trump 5 dollars over some homeless starving guy right.

Navy Bean

I love using the Hawkmoon in PvP - really wish I got to try it out during its glory days...

When it procs and you're aim is true the thing destroys...of course the opposite is also true and you can hit some real rough patches because of how slow it is.

E92 M3

Dismantling blue engrams this morning and getting one weapon part for each was a big bucket of sadness. While not on the same level, it's the most explicit 'grind more' decision Bungie has made since asking us to reset our exotics in order to upgrade them. They earned a lot of goodwill for their overall TTK design and progression philosophy and I feel like this is a major step backward.

Overall, I think the the infusion system needs some tweaking. Way too much RNG involved for my taste.

absolutely

It struck me really fast when I first started playing Destiny: Ascended materials are rare and we need 18 to max out an item. I noticed that having the last 3 nodes empty worked for the majority of the game and the most important weapons would get upgraded. Never understood why some people maxed out weapons just do it. Hell, my Shadow Price and old Juju is still not maxed out lol.

Tovarisc

Honestly I think that's your problem right there. Rng seems to show mercy for the weak to keep us going. I mean you wouldn't give Donald trump 5 dollars over some homeless starving guy right.

Hmm.... I need ask Trump if he wants to give my 5 back.

Geist-

I love using the Hawkmoon in PvP - really wish I got to try it out during its glory days...

When it procs and you're aim is true the thing destroys...of course the opposite is also true and you can hit some real rough patches because of how slow it is.
I can't seem to use hand cannons in PvP. When the weapon fires and I'm looking down the sights, the weapon coming up always screws with my aim. I'm still working on the hand cannon part of the pvp quest. :-(

GhaleonEB

While I don't defend the "fuck XXX" lines, even though I can sometimes understand the anger (or rather frustration) that make them happen, I hope Bungie folks can see past this and notice how the answers to the recent interventions of Luke Smith in here were all light-hearted and in good spirit. :)
I understand the frustrations as well, I just would hope we can find ways to express it in a less hostile manner. And not to put too fine of a point on it:

NeoGAF said:
NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.
"civil discourse" =/= "fuck xyz developer"

Trust me. I rarely do well. I would need someone to seriously carry me if I tried ToO. My K/D is actually really poor. I've only finished best in game 5-6 times this IB.

MrDaravon

Dismantling blue engrams this morning and getting one weapon part for each was a big bucket of sadness. While not on the same level, it's the most explicit 'grind more' decision Bungie has made since asking us to reset our exotics in order to upgrade them.

Unless Bungie has an amazing defense for the Weapon Parts and other economy nerfs in the Update today I'm pretty much done for a while once I wrap up these exotic sword quests. I'll have just about all of the non-PvP Quests done on all my characters along with most of the exotics. I want the IB Pulse Rifle but IB is even more of a shitshow than usual with the infinite bow glitch, and even outside of that PvP is a goddamn mess with Sunbreakers, shotguns still being ridiculously OP, etc etc. Playing a bunch last night and this morning I'm getting noticeably less motes and coins for my regular activities (although the extra motes from level ups and public events is nice, but not quite making up that difference, especially with coins). So I feel like they made PvE even more of a grind for no discernible reason, and PvP is a disaster for multiple reasons for me at the moment.

The only thing I could see them justifying a bit is the Motes nerf, but only in the context of nerfing the net gain people were getting on them but having a full inventory of blues and leveling them all up at once and breaking them down. But even then the net gain wasn't enormous, and it required you to play enough to get 6-9 blues in every single slot...and even then all they had to do was nerf how many motes you got from leveled up blues.

It feels like they're trying to drag things out, especially in PvE, but why? There's no trading so there's no meaningful economy issue, and if they feel like they're bleeding players this is the opposite way of how you keep them.

Overall, I think the the infusion system needs some tweaking. Way too much RNG involved for my taste.

It struck me really fast when I first started playing Destiny: Ascended materials are rare and we need 18 to max out an item. I noticed that having the last 3 nodes empty worked for the majority of the game and the most important weapons would get upgraded. Never understood why some people maxed out weapons just do it. Hell, my Shadow Price and old Juju is still not maxed out lol.

Yellow boarders.

I can categorically say that any active player of Destiny would not have made this economy change. I am 100% sure about that. Show a single player that said "oh man, why are these weapon parts so abundant and easy to get?"

Number crunchers tend to ruin a lot. I know Luke won't comment on what goes on inside Bungie HQ, but I sure am hopeful it gets fixed within a month, max.

Yea, I mean a lot of us have raged over something whether it's a questline, mission, RNG/Smart Loot, etc. It's obvious you can't please everyone. Some people either are really (un)lucky or have been fortunate to not level up weapons for whatever reason and has a huge source of weapon parts.

I do agree with not generalizing and saying "screw ____" when something bad happens. It's good to try to say how you feel in a more descriptive (and maybe professional) manner. I think the main reason is because most of us are so invested in the game for over a year now that when something comes out abruptly without explanation, especially something that clearly doesn't make any sense, it will rattle us. Black Spindle is along the same lines. Some people worked very hard for that gun so I can see the frustration. It just needs to be more helpful vocally than a screw you.

My opinion on weapon parts: So far with TTK, I've had enough to skate by because Blue Weapons gave 2 each most of the time. Now that they give 1 most of the time, I instantly find myself short. I like to level up a multitude of primary and special weapons, for science. Now I'm dismantling Year 1 stuff like Word of Crota and Abyss Defiant just to get weapon parts and it sucks.

So it's true then, the only stuff that drops in iron banner is the stuff for sale..
So once you hit rank 5 there is no point what so ever to continue playing it..

flkraven

Number crunchers tend to ruin a lot. I know Luke won't comment on what goes on inside Bungie HQ, but I sure am hopeful it gets fixed within a month, max

It's insane, right? TTK finally turned around the general public's perception about Destiny: It has actually become a pretty good game! Not only were outside observers impressed, but Bungie/Activision had the goodwill of nearly every member of the community. So much goodwill in fact, that almost no one batted an eyelash at the news that micro-transactions were being added. Very few people complained (relatively speaking). Then the surprise economy nerf hits, and in one instant they wipe away a bunch of the goodwill they just earned.

Why would they do this? Everything else in the update was mentioned ahead of time (microtransactions, spindle nerf), but this was a surprise. That's pretty telling, isn't it? They knew it was a bad idea, but did it anyway.

when the game "fliped" to the Taken King, i think i still got like 500+ ascending stuffs, they all become motes of light to level up the pvp faction to 25, along with the 600+ that i already have.

definitely hoarding in the early year one paid off

i just dont know what i can do with the 38 etheric light that i never used

E92 M3

Yea, I mean a lot of us have raged over something whether it's a questline, mission, RNG/Smart Loot, etc. It's obvious you can't please everyone. Some people either are really (un)lucky or have been fortunate to not level up weapons for whatever reason and has a huge source of weapon parts.

I do agree with not generalizing and saying "screw ____" when something bad happens. It's good to try to say how you feel in a more descriptive (and maybe professional) manner.

My opinion on weapon parts: So far with TTK, I've had enough to skate by because Blue Weapons gave 2 each most of the time. Now that they give 1 most of the time, I instantly find myself short. I like to level up a multitude of primary and special weapons, for science. Now I'm dismantling Year 1 stuff like Word of Crota and Abyss Defiant just to get weapon parts and it sucks.

That's like a desperate drug addict selling their antique stuff for a shot of heroine lol.

It's insane, right? TTK finally turned around the general public's perception about Destiny: It has actually become a pretty good game! Not only were outside observers impressed, but Bungie/Activision had the goodwill of nearly every member of the community. So much goodwill in fact, that almost no one batted an eyelash at the news that micro-transactions were being added. Very few people complained (relatively speaking). Then the surprise economy nerf hits, and in one instant wipe away a bunch of the goodwill they just earned.

Why would they do this? Everything else in the update was mentioned ahead of time (microtransactions, spindle nerf), but this was a surprise. That's pretty telling, isn't it? They knew it was a bad idea, but did it anyway.

Exactly, and that is also why I am convinced that number crunchers shouldn't be making decisions at Bungie. It's unfortunate that Luke doesn't have more power to impact every department. This wasn't under his influence.

Kyne

So it's true then, the only stuff that drops in iron banner is the stuff for sale..
So once you hit rank 5 there is no point what so ever to continue playing it..

they have a chance to drop at a higher value during IB.

I hope I end up eating crow here, but I don't think Bungie will even address the weapon part nerf. Everyone waiting for an explanation needs to brace themselves for that very real possibility.

Shito

I'm waiting for today's update of the week to see if they are going to give us the reasons for this economy nerf.
Obviously, it's not really working, because nobody understood why they did this, so it would be at least interesting to know what their motivation for all of that was in the first place...

I understand the frustrations as well, I just would hope we can find ways to express it in a less hostile manner. And not to put too fine of a point on it:

"civil discourse" =/= "fuck xyz developer"
I totally agree with this point, yep. :)
I just hope that Bungie can see that they can also sometimes post in here and be properly welcomed and answered to.

Jito

Banned
they have a chance to drop at a higher value during IB.

I hope I end up eating crow here, but I don't think Bungie will even address the weapon part nerf. Everyone waiting for an explanation needs to brace themselves for that very real possibility.

Explanation "players were making progress without grinding and generally having too much fun, we made sure to change that."

IB drop rates suck arse and is making it such a slog for no reward. Even when I get to level 4 I won't have enough marks for everything because of the stupid cap so I'll have to go back to grinding.

Future

Limited weapon parts = less infusion, leveling up = less experimentation of weapons. When I get exotic weapons, I want to level them up just to see how well they perform. Now I will be reading GAF to see if I should even bother, and if it's not agreed top tier then forget it

The hilarious thing is I am also out of helium and the planet materials too, so I already have weapons to upgrade that I cannot until I grind more. The only thing I manage to have a lot of is glimmer.... So should I be expecting a glimmer nerf? :p

This does feel like year 1 style decision making. Fact is I am one of the hardcore playing 3-4 hours a day. If playing that much can't land me an abundance of resources to do what I want... Then how much should I be playing? 6 hours a day? Breaking down 30 engrams a day? This combined with rng mostly determining if your drops are any good and it feels they would like you to be playing all day every day

Bogeypop

Spindle Group #10(?) Complete. Reminder to send me a PM if you'd like to get on the Black Spindle help Waiting List. Also please only send me a PM if you're available within the next two hours. If you need help later in the evening please send me a PM at that time.

Further reminder to not use Nightstalker glitch if I'm helping you otherwise I will boot you from Fireteam.

purg3

slept with Malkin
He is pretty fun to listen to, was a hardcore WoW and casual Hearthstone for a long time. He just started playing Destiny but I enjoy listening to his stream while working in the mornings.

I watched his WoW streams every now and then, and I didn't even play WoW. Didin't know he started streaming Destiny. I'll need to start watching, will be a nice break from the "regular" destiny streamers.

Gurrry

I got the rank 3 in IB yesterday with the intention of buying the wolf hunter cape...

Ended up getting it as a reward on the game that I turned rank 3.. lol. However, it was a 290 instead of 280 like it is at the shop. So thats good. Now I just want to get to rank 4 and finish that one bounty, then buy anything else.

I never play pvp but this IB has kind of changed my mind. I kinda like it now, its not too bad.

Everyone complaining about the hunter glitch - yeah it sucks.. but it has not changed how I play at all and I was still able to rank up quickly. It seems like people just want to use it as an excuse to not play PVP, which is totally cool. But its honestly not that big of a problem.

The weapon parts nerf - ok yeah this is a little stupid. I think they nerfed it because you can trade them in for faction rep. If thats the case, they shouldve just increased the # of weapon parts it takes for faction rep rather than reduce the # of weapon parts you get from dismantle. There are TONS of things that weapon parts are used for, not just rep. Hopefully they change this if its truly the reasoning.

I have a fuck ton of armor and weapon parts from y1 because I stopped playing after the DLC's came out. But I can totally see how new players are fucked by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom