• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just really want a cabal raid. they're by far my favorite enemy and i'd love to see what they could do with it. or fallen i guess. we've already had vex, hive and hive again.

as for xur. once again 3oC stocks up for the week. i'm actually glad he sells garbage with everything else. 3oC has made grinding out the strikes exciting for me. i'd just like it if i could get a 310 zhalo and a 310 titan armor now.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm okay with striker sucking because the Titans' other 2 subs are great and probably best of class for PvE and PvP respectively.

You can rest assured that it will be fixed very soon.

Just like everything else that has been broken in this game.

nxMBqb4.gif

A super that needs to be activated mere feet within the enemy to be of any use, and a situational melee that can only be pulled off when timed well enough within a run? Nope, they need to fastly rework this class. It's easily the worst out of the bunch for everything.

it just needs stronger neutral game.

Rubenov

Disagree. It was only truly like that in the earliest days of Destiny and that's just because nobody knew the intricacies of weapon balance. That did lead to more AR's than anything else but that's just a shooter default weapon.

Right now it's basically Pulse Rifles/Shotgun combos. Scouts get used but are at a disadvantage. Sidearms have been picking up over the last couple of days but disadvantaged to longe range shotguns. Everything else is lower tier than that.

But that's across weapon classes, there's not one weapon that people are always going to like Thorn/TLW were. And you can still get chewed up close by a Monte Carlo / TLW while manning a pulse, and a Jade Rabbit will dettach your skull from a distance.

I'm not saying it is well-balanced, I'm just saying it's the most balanced it has been hence why you see so many different guns being used.

Ramirez

matmanx1

Guys, I've just started building a Defender Titan. I've been rolling with a warlock and a hunter since launch, so my knowledge of Titan exotics is non-existent. Should I get No Backup Plans from Xur? I was planning on just getting a Helm of Saint-14 from the Kiosk, but if someone can tell me NBP are good/great, I'll get the latter today.

NBP are now a really fun exotic. They are a legitimate PVP exotic as well, which makes them sort of special for Defenders. I would say for raids and hard PVE stuff the Saint - 14 is still more useful, (or Ruin Wings) simply because sniper rifles tend to get more use in high end PVE than shotguns and if you aren't running a shotgun then NBP don't make sense.

Any Defender Titans having a great time in IB now with the buffed No Backup Plans?

I still find it weird that No Backup Plans have a flavor text that says "No ammo? No problem." And yet they proc Force Barrier on shotgun kills which use ammo. Still, I'll take any buff I can get. It would have been interesting if instead Force Barrier proc'd on melee kills or receiving melee damage.

NBP + Suppressor Grenades + Monte Carlo/Red Death can be really good and effective for map control and survivability.

I've been alternating between Sunbreaker and Defender with NBP and the Defender is definitely more interesting to play. The downside is of course, you loose sniper. Force Barrier is great for being able to survive a short range clash and then getting out of there before you die.

I used exactly this plan to great effect this morning during Salvage and let me tell you it was a pretty fantastic combination for that particular game mode.

yup, just stay out of shotty-range and you're golden!

I highly recommend the Hawkwood that the vanguard vendor sells for normal Crucible, sick balance, outperforms all legendary sidearms. Also the original Vestian Dynasty is a beast now.

I miss Vestian Dynasty. =( I wish we'd get some more space age laser type sidearms rather than these silenced toys we're getting now.

Look at how the other team of bads just stand there and shoot at him. I mean, come on, how bad can you play?

Hammer may be OP but I'm trained at this point to jump away when ever I hear that sound. Sometimes I don't make it but a lot of times I do. It's even better when they chase and don't kill you because then they essentially wasted their entire super!

Again I'm not arguing that Sunbreakers aren't out of whack as compared to other classes' supers but neither are they impossible to deal with. They are actually easier to escape from than a Bladedancer or a Golden Gun assuming you aren't 5 feet away when they activate (in which case any super would kill you).

flkraven

and lighting nades, but their melee and passive kit sucks

Lightning grenades are the only positive thing I can say about Striker.

My striker class has literally become my 'agility' class that I just switch to for jumping puzzles, etc so I don't have to flip the bubbles on the 2 'real' classes. I understand completely that Sunbreaker needs to be looked at, but Titans have been screaming from the mountains for a year that the Striker class is significantly out classed in both PvE and PvP yet I haven't seen anyone riot yet to get this fixed.

Just saying that they should give both priority...

Deku Tree

So if you use a glimmer consumable plus a glimmer ghost the effect stacks and you get double glimmer?

Does this make farming fallen or hive a good glimmer farm? Any good missions to do it on?

tumblr_inline_mgrdiqFnzG1qbygev.gif

Lightning grenades are the only positive thing I can say about Striker.

My striker class has literally become my 'agility' class that I just switch to for jumping puzzles, etc so I don't have to flip the bubbles on the 2 'real' classes. I understand completely that Sunbreaker needs to be looked at, but Titans have been screaming from the mountains for a year that the Striker class is significantly out classed in both PvE and PvP yet I haven't seen anyone riot yet to get this fixed.

Just saying that they should give both priority...

Sunbreaker isn't the only kit that needs tweaking but it's the only one that is overstepping its role.And generally speaking, oversteppers have always been dealt with before underperformers.

TP-DK

Oh god those multikills in Crucible with the Imprecation seems impossible.

Does Bungie wants us to suffer with these quests? First having to stand around for hours in patrol waiting for Taken, then farming for hours to get exotic sword, then waiting for hours for Warsat and now having to suffer in crucible with the worst weapon in the game.

But that's across weapon classes, there's not one weapon that people are always going to like Thorn/TLW were. And you can still get chewed up close by a Monte Carlo / TLW while manning a pulse, and a Jade Rabbit will dettach your skull from a distance.

I'm not saying it is well-balanced, I'm just saying it's the most balanced it has been hence why you see so many different guns being used.

I was getting destroyed by some dude with a Supercell in IB last night. I don't know if it was the user or the gun, but wow...wrekt.

Oh god those multikills in Crucible with the Imprecation seems impossible.

Does Bungie wants us to suffer with these quests? First having to stand around for hours in patrol waiting for Taken, then farming for hours to get exotic sword, then waiting for hours for Warsat and now having to suffer in crucible with the worst weapon in the game.
You don't need crucible multikills. The only crucible step is to get a number of headshot kills over the course of the entire match. The other two can be done in pve.

The game was good at launch. All they had to do was nerf fusion and auto rifles.

flkraven

Honestly, while I do agree that Sunbreakers' special is a little OP, I am not really killed more by them than anyone else. Their super activation is really loud, so when you hear it pop you just run away. I find myself killed many more times by Golden Gun and Warlock-Sith Powers. Also, that K/D ratio chart showed not much a difference in KD between subclasses.

If anything, I would say that Sunbreakers' super should be even louder when activated, reduce the shield by maybe 50%, and make the health regen on kills a little weaker.

daedalius

Please don't nerf my sunbreaker in pve, I really don't care in pvp. I'd be fine with them reducing the bonus armor and explosion radius.

Problem is probably "Forge Master" since it allows a couple extra hammers and bigger explosions from them. I always use suncharge for pvp, and for pve I switch between suncharge and scorched earth. But it probably won't get changed for ages anyway. Supers kill a lot of people in pvp, for the most part, and I think bungie wants it that way. I wouldn't be surprised if they buffed the others!

I think it would interesting if Bungie balanced PVP super counters the way the legendary and exotic swords are, where the matched elemental type does extra damange. So a golden gun would be really great at taking out a Sunbreaker, but not a storm caller. A Nighstalker could penetrate titan bubbles, and so on. It could make for some strategic play and having to balance if you want to change up a class in the middle of a match or just play to your strengths.

I tried to run away from a Sunbreaker on Memento once. He killed me on one side of the map, ran to the other side and killed me again. Only other class that can do that is Gunslinger and I can at least snipe him.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Honestly, while I do agree that Sunbreakers' special is a little OP, I am not really killed more by them than anyone else. Their super activation is really loud, so when you hear it pop you just run away. I find myself killed many more times by Golden Gun and Warlock-Sith Powers. Also, that K/D ratio chart showed not much a difference in KD between subclasses.

If anything, I would say that Sunbreakers super should be even louder when activated, reduce the shield by maybe 50%, and make the health regen on kills a little weaker.

Exactly. If you avoid the Sunbreaker, then it's not bad. Watch the clip someone posted a few pages ago. Everyone stood still and took shots at him with their rifle. HOW HAVE THEY NOT LEARNED THAT IT'S AUTOMATIC DEATH IF YOU DO THAT?

Daemul

Exotic armour rerolling
rejoice.png

Shit is a godsend. I spent 3SC, got 3 needles and rerolled 3 of my Hunter helms to the perfect Int/Dis stat spread, it was quick, cheap and easy.

flkraven

I tried to run away from a Sunbreaker on Memento once. He killed me on one side of the map, ran to the other side and killed me again. Only other class that can do that is Gunslinger and I can at least snipe him.

He must have been very accurate with those hammers then. Warlocks can do the same thing with lightning/blink, albeit, they have to get a heck of a lot closer.

void666

Banned
All the crying about sunbreakers... I'm sure bungie will overnerf it and it will become useless.
Hammerbros, let us enjoy it while it lasts.

I love when the enemy team is playing smart, focus shooting me. I'm about to die when i see some scrub just standing there herp derping. Oh sweet health regen. Hammers for everyone.
Also in IB when my teams sucks and we're being destroyed (which is like 4 matches out of 5). My super fills up. Time for some retribution. Proceed to slaughter the enemy team. And then blow kisses.

matmanx1

Gunslinger, the God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUVw_EIcaKo

I uploaded this just for you! I didn't even have explosive pyre on, lol.

And it still had a couple hammers left over after I ran across the map and threw 2, lol. Why it isn't capped off at 3 like GG is the biggest head scratcher to me. Well, that and the fact that it drains like an IV drip compared to the others.

To be fair, on that second clip a GG with combust would have like had a similar effect. Those guys were almost stacked on top of one another.

What if cauterize could only activate once during the super? And additionally it was changed so that the meter drained quicker but each hammer drained less of the super. That way you could spam hammers at a stationary target (boss dps) but wouldn't have time to roam around a map killing the entire team. At most you could clear a room (like void bomb or GG with combust).

All the crying about sunbreakers... I'm sure bungie will overnerf it and it will become useless.
Hammerbros, let us enjoy it while it lasts.

I love when the enemy team is playing smart, focus shooting me. I'm about to die when i see some scrub just standing there herp derping. Oh sweet health regen. Hammers for everyone.
Also in IB when my teams sucks and we're being destroyed (which is like 4 matches out of 5). My super fills up. Time for some retribution. Proceed to slaughter the enemy team. And then blow kisses.

You sound like you have some sick fucking skillz bro.

I mean.. I get what you're saying.. but to me it felt like even when Thorn and TLW were around.. it was Hand Cannon's in general that were strong. Hawkmoon, for example, had a bit higher skill cap but was particularly deadly at longer distances with LitC.

Right now, it just feels like the current meta is just starting to solidify. So while there's a lot of variety right this second.. given time enough for everyone to get the right loadouts.. it's going to settle into the same things it did last time. Someone will find THE Pulse rifle and THE shotgun and people will flock to that. It's going to be hindered by Weapon Parts nerf, sure. But we're already seeing specific shotguns reoccuring everywhere. Snipers are nearly always 1k Stare. PR's are balancing between Red Death and Bad Juju primarily. Likely the IB PR for those that don't want to run Exotic Primary.

OHKO shoulder charges and fists of panic aren't good enough?

Joke post?

Situational melee that anyone with a shotgun and general awareness can stop cold.

And a super that sucks so much people only use it as a panic response if someone sneaks up on you.

Striker is garbage.

PuMa

Sniper Rifles are perfectly acceptable but close range sniping is a high risk/low reward option. They are situational which balances them automatically. If you get sniped all match, you're losing to their skill or you're not practicing map awareness at all. That's a far cry from losing gun fights because they have a stronger weapon loadout than you do.
You may have misunderstood. I was saying I'm getting more kills with my sniper, not killed by snipers. And the range on shotguns is part of why I said they are easier to use.

Any Defender Titans having a great time in IB now with the buffed No Backup Plans?

I still find it weird that No Backup Plans have a flavor text that says "No ammo? No problem." And yet they proc Force Barrier on shotgun kills which use ammo. Still, I'll take any buff I can get. It would have been interesting if instead Force Barrier proc'd on melee kills or receiving melee damage.

NBP + Suppressor Grenades + Monte Carlo/Red Death can be really good and effective for map control and survivability.

Been running No Backup Plans all week during IB. Solo Queuing. My team's win % is >75%. Why? Because I can take B and hold it unless a Year One Super decides to end my party.

I'm running Spare Change .25 / Invective / HMG.

For my perks: Increased Control, Armor of Light, Unbreakable, Bastion (although Relentless is stackable & adds 5 seconds, I prefer a longer Bubble) & Untouchable. Specced for Max Armor/Recovery. Recovery got a major boost in TTK.

If you want tips on running Defender in general, I really like this video. So many practical tips for PvP play in general, but also for Defenders.

Also, TrueVanguard did a HoW build video on Defenders with No Backup Plans that's excellent. It showcases an aggressive non-camping strategy for Defenders. One that *really* catches people off guard when you storm out of your bubble and absolutely destroy them because they're so shocked.

I'm a very conservative player (i.e. not aggressive pusher), so I don't wind up using Force Barrier that much outside of my bubble. Inside my bubble, it gives me an overshield on a shotgun kill immediately. That means if two people push in, I don't have to dip out of my bubble again to get my armor back. I can just keep on trucking.

Defenders got a major boost, but I think mostly for Objective based PvP matches. I can't imagine running Defender in Trials, no matter how much I love the Subclass.

I mean.. I get what you're saying.. but to me it felt like even when Thorn and TLW were around.. it was Hand Cannon's in general that were strong. Hawkmoon, for example, had a bit higher skill cap but was particularly deadly at longer distances with LitC.

Right now, it just feels like the current meta is just starting to solidify. So while there's a lot of variety right this second.. given time enough for everyone to get the right loadouts.. it's going to settle into the same things it did last time. Someone will find THE Pulse rifle and THE shotgun and people will flock to that. It's going to be hindered by Weapon Parts nerf, sure. But we're already seeing specific shotguns reoccuring everywhere. Snipers are nearly always 1k Stare. PR's are balancing between Red Death and Bad Juju primarily. Likely the IB PR for those that don't want to run Exotic Primary.

1000 Yard Stare is high impact and high aim assist. Coming off of House of Wolves where most people switched to high impact for Trials and chased Her Benevolence for aim assist, it was logically going to be the choice. We'd see more variety if the other snipers were high impact, but everything else is Patience and Time or Praedyth tier.

PuMa

I only bring reality and truth to the masses. People say something isn't OP when it is just seek attention and it very annoying
So now I'm dumb and seeking attention. You are a class act.

I wasn't seeking attention, in fact, just stating a few examples from my experience. You're response and side of the argument, "you're dumb". Ah now I see it! Nice, man.

So what are the common defenses of the Sunbreaker super right now? Let's see:

1. You must be a salty non-Titan to care about balance.

2. Overpowered Titans are cool because they were underpowered before.

3. Hammer is not overpowered because you can run away and not respawn. You can also turn off your console to be extra sure you don't die.

These are all asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom