• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

I thought I sucked at PVP, but I found people who were even worse I guess. Best IB match for me so far. Even got a 10 kill streak, but I didn't have the bounty. :(

CRdZAWoUwAAhqXr.png

Thanks Bungie for putting me in matches that my team is already losing by atleast 6000 points 8 times in a row. This stupidity should not count for your win/loss ratio, even if you win.

Horrible matchmaking, at least don't drop me in a match after it happend already like 3 times.

They really need to fix this, even get dropped in 2 mercy games for some reason. Bullshit

I've been playing IB solo the entire time so far and there was a stretch where I got dropped into these kinds of games 5 times in a row. It's dumb.

There needs to be some algorithm that just locks games out from being joinable once a certain score gap has been reached.

X-Frame

I've been alternating between Sunbreaker and Defender with NBP and the Defender is definitely more interesting to play. The downside is of course, you loose sniper. Force Barrier is great for being able to survive a short range clash and then getting out of there before you die.

I used exactly this plan to great effect this morning during Salvage and let me tell you it was a pretty fantastic combination for that particular game mode.

I was going to say I could see this build being very strong for 3v3 because that means less people who will be shooting you and therefore destroying the overshield, so it lasts longer and has a chance to recharge if you select that perk.

Been running No Backup Plans all week during IB. Solo Queuing. My team's win % is >75%. Why? Because I can take B and hold it unless a Year One Super decides to end my party.

I'm running Spare Change .25 / Invective / HMG.

For my perks: Increased Control, Armor of Light, Unbreakable, Bastion (although Relentless is stackable & adds 5 seconds, I prefer a longer Bubble) & Untouchable. Specced for Max Armor/Recovery. Recovery got a major boost in TTK.

If you want tips on running Defender in general, I really like this video. So many practical tips for PvP play in general, but also for Defenders.

Also, TrueVanguard did a HoW build video on Defenders with No Backup Plans that's excellent. It showcases an aggressive non-camping strategy for Defenders. One that *really* catches people off guard when you storm out of your bubble and absolutely destroy them because they're so shocked.

I'm a very conservative player (i.e. not aggressive pusher), so I don't wind up using Force Barrier that much outside of my bubble. Inside my bubble, it gives me an overshield on a shotgun kill immediately. That means if two people push in, I don't have to dip out of my bubble again to get my armor back. I can just keep on trucking.

Defenders got a major boost, but I think mostly for Objective based PvP matches. I can't imagine running Defender in Trials, no matter how much I love the Subclass.

Thanks man!

I haven't had a chance to play much IB yet (will this weekend), but I tried Defender for a few games and realized I needed to alter my playstyle a bit since I'm used to Striker and roaming the map. Not that I can't do that with a Defender but a Defender shines with holding a territory.

Suppressors or Magnetic grenades to disarm or quickly dispatch a rusher, a Bubble for a focal point for your team to group up at and receive buffs and now a powerful, recharging overshield to help stay alive to hold that point.

Monte Carlo would obviously synergize well but it doesn't give me enough range as I want. So I do what you do and run Invective or maybe Chaperone plus a Pulse/Scout Rifle to deter people from getting too close.

I just need to get better at landing Suppressor grenades almost on demand when a rushing roaming Super is coming close. Stormcallers hover quicker than I'd think they could and Sunbreakers will often skate and jump to get their kills so timing that Suppressor is tough.

vctor182

They should change the way moldering shards work.

1- Collect 30
2- Go to Eris, turn in the 30 shards and she will create the raid item you select at 310 light
3- ???
4- Profit!

Been running No Backup Plans all week during IB. Solo Queuing. My team's win % is >75%. Why? Because I can take B and hold it unless a Year One Super decides to end my party.

I'm running Spare Change .25 / Invective / HMG.

For my perks: Increased Control, Armor of Light, Unbreakable, Bastion (although Relentless is stackable & adds 5 seconds, I prefer a longer Bubble) & Untouchable. Specced for Max Armor/Recovery. Recovery got a major boost in TTK.

If you want tips on running Defender in general, I really like this video. So many practical tips for PvP play in general, but also for Defenders.

Also, TrueVanguard did a HoW build video on Defenders with No Backup Plans that's excellent. It showcases an aggressive non-camping strategy for Defenders. One that *really* catches people off guard when you storm out of your bubble and absolutely destroy them because they're so shocked.

I'm a very conservative player (i.e. not aggressive pusher), so I don't wind up using Force Barrier that much outside of my bubble. Inside my bubble, it gives me an overshield on a shotgun kill immediately. That means if two people push in, I don't have to dip out of my bubble again to get my armor back. I can just keep on trucking.

Defenders got a major boost, but I think mostly for Objective based PvP matches. I can't imagine running Defender in Trials, no matter how much I love the Subclass.

I think that second video may have just changed my life lol. I never for one second thought of playing the class the way that guy did. He was kicking ass.

Navy Bean

1- Collect 30
2- Go to Eris, turn in the 30 shards and she will create the raid item you select at 310 light
3- ???
4- Profit!

This is actually a great idea. Rewards you for running the raid a bunch outside of the RNG shenanigans.

Does anyone else think it's a little nuts that there's a second raid light tier?

Like, first you struggle to get to 300. Then you struggle to get to 310. And then we now have to struggle to 320? King's Fall Raid drops are already poor RNG to get you to 310 and now, SURPRISE, that wasn't even the cap anyway. Gotta grind all over again to get to 320.
Will Challenge Mode drop 330 gear? And how much is it going to suck if Trials gear doesn't drop between 310-320 as well? Because otherwise I as a level 300 will be taking a 10% penalty against a 320 no-lifer.

Before, you get to lvl 32 and you're done. You get to lvl 34 and you're done. Even in Vanilla, you'd only have to chase gear once. I thought Taken King would be like that, even moreso. We'd quickly get to max light and then would specialize after that. Instead, we quickly get to 95% of max light, then realize that that's not even the cap. That 95% was actually 85%. Gotta climb that vertical mountain one more time.

This three tier end-game light system actively conflicts with horizontal progression. (The three tiers being non-raid, normal raid & hard raid).

I worried about this when they said no new expansions til Destiny 2 next fall. They needed more grind to last a year.

Does anyone else think it's a little nuts that there's a second raid light tier?

Like, first you struggle to get to 300. Then you struggle to get to 310. And then we now have to struggle to 320? King's Fall Raid drops are already poor RNG to get you to 310 and now, SURPRISE, that wasn't even the cap anyway. Gotta grind all over again to get to 320.
Will Challenge Mode drop 330 gear? And how much is it going to suck if Trials gear doesn't drop between 310-320 as well? Because otherwise I as a level 300 will be taking a 10% penalty against a 320 no-lifer.

Before, you get to lvl 32 and you're done. You get to lvl 34 and you're done. Even in Vanilla, you'd only have to chase gear once. I thought Taken King would be like that, even moreso. We'd quickly get to max light and then would specialize after that. Instead, we quickly get to 95% of max light, then realize that that's not even the cap. That 95% was actually 85%. Gotta climb that vertical mountain one more time.

This three tier end-game light system actively conflicts with horizontal progression. (The three tiers being non-raid, normal raid & hard raid).

I worried about this when they said no new expansions til Destiny 2 next fall. They needed more grind to last a year.

Nope. You're not crazy and I agree with you. The new grind in TTK is real.

vctor182

This is actually a great idea. Rewards you for running the raid a bunch outside of the RNG shenanigans.

Yeah, there's a limit of how much frustration one can experience by leaving everything to RNG. If you ran the raid 3 times and didn't get the all the stuff you wanted then you have enough shards to get something and feel rewarded for your time invested.

E92 M3

Yeah it's frustrating that I can't get comfortable and constantly have to pray to RNGesus for high light armor.

Feorax

Any KF raid going on? I'd really like to get one done before next week as I'm conscious that getting a group together for NM will be nigh on impossible when HM is out next week.

Have Golgoroth cp if it helps.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

This is the game you're playing. If you don't actually enjoy the act of grinding each light level up to 310, why are you doing it? Going above 295 or whatever provides little to no appreciable change to your gameplay experience. When the next expansion or Destiny 2 comes out, all the work you put in to painfully crawling to 320 will be completely trivialized as everyone else quickly jumps to 380 or whatever the new limit is.

That's the game. If you enjoy the grind, awesome. If you don't, there's literally no reason to subject yourself to it. Play the game for fun. End up at 313 or whatever. It's fine.

btkadams

Does anyone have a link to where this stuff was announced or revealed? I just read the last update and I don't see anything about 320 light. Is that going to be the gear from the hard raid?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This is the game you're playing. If you don't actually enjoy the act of grinding each light level up to 310, why are you doing it? Going above 295 or whatever provides little to no appreciable change to your gameplay experience. When the next expansion or Destiny 2 comes out, all the work you put in to painfully crawling to 320 will be completely trivialized as everyone else quickly jumps to 380 or whatever the new limit is.

That's the game. If you enjoy the grind, awesome. If you don't, there's literally no reason to subject yourself to it. Play the game for fun. End up at 313 or whatever. It's fine.

Yeah, I don't understand why some people obsess over the high light level. Makes no difference whatsoever unless you're in HM raid.

1- Collect 30
3- ???
4- Profit!

Idk, I like where your heads at but just picking an item and knowing it's gonna be 310 of exactly what you want is kinda lame. To me that was one of the things wrong with POE.

I'd be cool with turning in shards to her for a chance at any item in the raid loot table minus shards of course. But then again that's how Oryx should work. Shards should not be in the loot table for any raid boss period.

300+ doesn't mean anything right now and when HM comes out 300 on the nose will be more than enough to finish it. I'd be more concerned about getting the gear for the perks (relic holder armor, agility, increased taken damage, etc) than big numbers.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, I don't understand why some people obsess over the high light level. Makes no difference whatsoever unless you're in HM raid.

Even if you're in hard mode raid, you will not need 320, the same way you don't need 310 for normal raid.

Tovarisc

Putting RNG on top of RNG for raid drops is the dumbest shit ever.

I can see what they wanted to do with this system, to create that chase for perfect loot roll like Diablo 2/3. Problem comes from you being able to clear raid only once per weekly reset [per character], while raid is super stingy with progressive loot drops. In game like Diablo 3 that chase works because you can farm for that perfect drop 24/7 and you never get gated from getting end game drops. If Kings Fall was more reliable as source for progressive loot and gave you more item drops / boss it would make chase more rewarding.

Now it's just once in a week battle against cruel mistress that is RNG, and who loves to fuck players over with giving shards and 300 items. It makes grind feel extra grindy and current item roll RNG even more cruel RNG.

E92 M3

Putting RNG on top of RNG for raid drops is the dumbest shit ever.

Yet they don't want another #forever29 and Luke said not to worry about being 310. I just wish someone from Bungie would explain this whole light thing clearly and concisely. Unless they are changing things and Luke didn't know when he said it.

1. I love you guys so much. I wish you knew how much this thread is a part of my life, and the help and answers here is just amazing.

2. Does anyone actually have the IB pulse yet? Is it worth it for the grind? Im at level 3 and I know I can make it, is it worth it?

Yet they don't want another #forever29 and Luke said not to worry about being 310. I just wish someone from Bungie would explain this whole light thing clearly and concisely. Unless they are changing things and Luke didn't know when he said it.

Now its...Forever slowly climbing light level one point at a time because I have to rely on higher level drops. I miss the hard numbers of Vanilla. I don't miss the hard drop off in damage when you were one light level below.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
1. I love you guys so much. I wish you knew how much this thread is a part of my life, and the help and answers here is just amazing.

2. Does anyone actually have the IB pulse yet? Is it worth it for the grind? Im at level 3 and I know I can make it, is it worth it?

If you're already level 3, then you don't have a lot more to grind! Gogogogogog

Tovarisc

You really can't create level system with clear hard caps that players know and tell them not to worry about their level. A lots of people will want maximum level because there is hard cap level to reach and 99.9% of games give your character best performance/loot when at hard cap.

It's fine if you don't want hit hard cap with your character, but for many it's about completion of their character.

Kyne

yahhhhh that's a little offsetting.

Luke was literally in here about a week ago telling us that being past light 300 absolutely did not matter..

.. and look where we are now.

I feel for the guy, though. I would never want him to stop chiming in with any kind of tidbits he'd like to share with the community.

FyreWulff

301-320 only matters for the Heroic Raid. Once you hit 301 you are overleveled for everything else.

Seeing as how a small percentage of people play raids.. the vast majority of people aren't going to worry about getting to 310, let alone 320.

I'm going to wait and see if Oryx himself is actually 310 or 320.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom