• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the shooting the chest part a DOS check that requires most or all of the team to be unloading?
After staggering, once bombs are detonated? The more the better, but it hardly requires any at all. One guy with a ToM seems enough. But most groups I'm with come back after detonating bomb and have time to take 1-2 quick shots also.

kidko

After staggering, once bombs are detonated? The more the better, but it hardly requires any at all. One guy with a ToM seems enough. But most groups I'm with come back after detonating bomb and have time to take 1-2 quick shots also.

No sorry yeah I meant the stagger is an instant fail if you don't have everyone on it with sniper/heavy

No sorry yeah I meant the stagger is an instant fail if you don't have everyone on it with sniper/heavy
Yeah, the more the merrier. The least I've had on a team alive during that part and still been able to stagger is 4. ToMs are absolutely monstrous for staggering though. Just 1 even makes a huge difference.

Yeah, the more the merrier. The least I've had on a team alive during that part and still been able to stagger is 4. ToMs are absolutely monstrous for staggering though. Just 1 even makes a huge difference.

yep, just watched the "entire kings fall raid with 4 people" runthrough and it's very doable without a full team.

I then dedicate rest of my time to hitting Oryx in chest

I have 3 characters that I run on Oryx every week, and I've honestly had a ton of times that he regains control of darkness because he isn't being hit in chest. If this isn't accurate, then I'm truly confused because when I am shooting in chest I've had 0 times where bombs don't hurt him like they should. Not shooting in chest? All the time.

Bolded part doesn't do anything. Until the bombs detonate shooting his chest is pointless. When the bombs blow up you only need to shoot his chest a tiny bit to make the bomb damage register. Between all 6 people that shouldn't be a problem at all.

The damage required is so minimal that 2-manning Oryx is possible (2 people shooting him for a split second before the blights kill them is sufficient). The only time he regains control of the darkness is if nobody shoots him whatsoever while the bombs are exploding.

Tbh it's a stupid mechanic with terrible conveyance to the player. You get damage markers from shooting him but the damage markers are meaningless and don't affect his HP... but a minuscule amount is still necessary so that giant bombs can take off 25% of his health. Huh? The bombs should have just given you a DPS window like Time's Vengeance so that players could optimize it and reduce the number of required cycles. Oryx fight is boring.

Edit: also 2 people with 300 Light and 310 ToMs is plenty to stagger Doxology. Don't even need Weapons of Light.

Raybunny

Butt Clenched this morning.

20151019093214.jpg

1 hammer at the last second saved the match.

Will make a gif after work.

Bolded part doesn't do anything. Until the bombs detonate shooting his chest is pointless. When the bombs blow up you only need to shoot his chest a tiny bit to make the bomb damage register. Between all 6 people that shouldn't be a problem at all.

The damage required is so minimal that 2-manning Oryx is possible (2 people shooting him for a split second before the blights kill them is sufficient). The only time he regains control of the darkness is if nobody shoots him whatsoever while the bombs are exploding.

Tbh it's a stupid mechanic with terrible conveyance to the player. You get damage markers from shooting him but the damage markers are meaningless and don't affect his HP... but a minuscule amount is still necessary so that giant bombs can take off 25% of his health. Huh? The bombs should have just given you a DPS window like Time's Vengeance so that players could optimize it and reduce the number of required cycles. Oryx fight is boring.

Edit: also 2 people with 300 Light and 310 ToMs is plenty to stagger Doxology. Don't even need Weapons of Light.

edit: ah i see what you mean.

So you only need to hit him for a little to keep his chest open for max damage?

Awwww I just had a hunter message me "Will you report me if I use quiver glitch?". This was during a strike, I told him I didn't care. The message was pretty adorable.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
AHAHAHA, finally got Monte Carlo with a 3oc.

Now how should I set this thing up..... the extra impact or the stability?

I'll have endless smoke bombs now

Unstable

Man, the mechanics of the Oryx fight are so obtuse. I kinda feel like Bungie broke the contract with the player with the Oryx fight because there isn't a DPS phase (Like every raid boss fight in the game.) It just looks like one without Bungie even hinting that there's something else going on.

Really boring fight as a result.

GlamFM

Banned
Man, the mechanics of the Oryx fight are so obtuse. I kinda feel like Bungie broke the contract with the player with the Oryx fight because there isn't a DPS phase (Like every raid boss fight in the game.) It just looks like one without Bungie even hinting that there's something else going on.

It feels like there´s one part missing in the Oryx encounter right now. Curious to see how different the fight will be in hard mode.

Zocano

Seems we will be getting another shader similar to Bone Marrow for HM, added with the latest patch and does not appear in the kiosk.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Armory/Detail?type=item&item=202245948&itemname=Kingspyre

I've said a few times already

I want a "Taken" shader.

Not every boss needs a "DPS" phase. I am okay with the Oryx fight.

My only issue really with the boss designs was the unintuitiveness of the platform formation stuff during Daughters and Oryx

I wonder what triggers the Oryx stagger-A certain amount of damage, or a certain number of 'hits' to register?

Unstable

It feels like there´s one part missing in the Oryx encounter right now. Curious to see how different the fight will be in hard mode.
That may be the case. Even still, the Oryx encounter biggest problem is the fact you're never actually damaging the boss in any meaningful way. No matter your strategy, or how well you execute said strategy, the best you can ever do is 4 blights. There's no room for risks or improvisation, you either 4 cycle him or mess up somewhere along the line.

I don't see how additional mechanic(s) would fix that. Sure, it could be harder to detonate the blights, or require more cycles to kill him, but still, the problem remains.

GutZ31

I wonder what triggers the Oryx stagger-A certain amount of damage, or a certain number of 'hits' to register?
Yeah, it's a number that needs to be reached to stagger. No idea what the number is, but high DPS stuff like the celestial nighthawk GG shot make it clear its health based.
What if in hard mode they give Oryx his very own gjallarhorn and he shoots you with it. The ultimate role reversal.

I think you typing this just made it real, so Bungie has no reason not to make this a thing now.
You have doomed us all.
Thanks.

Since they designed hard mode first, it does feel like encounters or mechanics were cut or reduced for normal mode. We'll find out on friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom