• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

Couple of things I'd like to see added to ole Destino to shake things up a bit:

Raid Vendor
The raid vendor will store blueprints of raid weapons and gear earned across your account through all raids in Destiny. You can dismantle any of your favorite raid guns and gear and retrieve them at any time for a cost TBD. The raid vendor will also offer the following buffs that can be purchased at any time, once per week, per account:

- Buff that allows you to replay any raid and earn loot at each boss again for a character that's already completed the raid for that week
- Buff that allows for a double drop from a single boss' loot pool
- Armor buff or Weapon buff; 2 separate buffs that will increase your chances of either an armor piece or a weapon will drop from a boss' loot pool while active

I also personally wouldn't mind if the Raid Vendor also offered 1 armor piece or 1 weapon piece for sale, purchasable only by using a consumable earned in the raid (similar to Variks). Maybe at 305 light vs the cap. Gear would only be offered from the latest raid (no VoG or CE items).

I've thought about "Raid Challenges/Bounties" but this probably wouldn't be a good idea. Similar to how most PvP bounties are a bad idea in general.

Legendary Challenges
Legendary Challenges encourage players to experience the PvE game in ways they're not typically used to in Destiny's activities. Encouraging more difficult playstyles to test a player's ability to overcome scenarios they have grown accustomed to conquering with relative ease in the past.

The Bounty Tracker will offer 3 each week, each of which offers you a selection of rewards upon completion. Finishing all 3 in a given week guarantees a random exotic drop, 290-310 light. Limited to 1 completion per account.

3 of the following selected at random each week:

- Complete a weekly heroic strike without firing a special weapon
- Complete the Nightfall strike in 18 minutes or less
- Finish a daily heroic mission with at least 100 kills, 0 deaths
- Complete a level 40+ strike without using any subclass abilities to damage/kill any enemies (aka no melees while charged, no grenades, no supers)
- Complete any strike from the Director's menu, solo, while being at least 15 light below the recommended level throughout the entire activity
- Finish a level 36+ strike with a fireteam where the only damage dealt to the final boss is dealt by using supers only
- Complete the daily mission, solo, by using only your primary weapon and abilities to damage/kill enemies
- Complete a Nightfall strike with a fireteam consisting only of matching elemental weapons and subclass abilities (all guns and subclasses must be only void, solar or arc) - kinetic excluded

*Rewards: Selection of 3 "quality" drops including one of the following:

- RNG Legendary Weapon or Armor Piece
- 15 Pack of Coins
- Glimmer package worth 10k (like amethyst)
- Legendary Mark Package worth 15 marks
- Materials Package (150 weapon parts, 150 relic iron, 150 armor parts, etc)

Would use the same reward screen as this, but include the options above, selected at random:

You should check my post on reddit from last week:

Idea For Keeping The Old Raids Relevant: IB-Style Monthly Events!

purg3

slept with Malkin
Have you tried Field choke? I feel like that barrel option made the difference for me in consistently landing head shots. It may not have the statistical stability of some of the other guns but with Field Choke it feels smooth and easy to land precision hits.

I switched to field choke on Red Death as well, and like it much better.

We can agree to disagree but It would really make the Hard Raid fairly useless to run if they don't have elements.

If they add interesting perks, I could easily outweigh elemental. With the burn reduction in nightfall, and the overall worthless of night fall, being able to run any elemental you want with a subclass, elemental damage seems less important now. Unless the burn match modifier is on where they are immune without the right burn, I don't see it being a huge get for hard raid weapons. If anything, it is a really lame "perk." We have already done that in Y1, and we all ran the exact same primary weapon because of it. I think the IB armor is a great example of how to do it right. They have unique perks that make them very strong in PVP. I hope HM weapons have unique PvE perks so it can feel like you are running more than one exotic.

Raid Vendor
The raid vendor will store blueprints of raid weapons and gear earned across your account through all raids in Destiny. You can dismantle any of your favorite raid guns and gear and retrieve them at any time for a cost TBD. The raid vendor will also offer the following buffs that can be purchased at any time, once per week, per account:

- Buff that allows you to replay any raid and earn loot at each boss again for a character that's already completed the raid for that week
- Armor buff or Weapon buff; 2 separate buffs that will increase your chances of either an armor piece or a weapon will drop from a boss' loot pool while active

I also personally wouldn't mind if the Raid Vendor also offered 1 armor piece or 1 weapon piece for sale, purchasable only by using a consumable earned in the raid (similar to Variks). Maybe at 305 light vs the cap. Gear would only be offered from the latest raid (no VoG or CE items).

I've thought about "Raid Challenges/Bounties" but this probably wouldn't be a good idea. Similar to how most PvP bounties are a bad idea in general.

Legendary Challenges
Legendary Challenges encourage players to experience the PvE game in ways they're not typically used to in Destiny's activities. Encouraging more difficult playstyles to test a player's ability to overcome scenarios they have grown accustomed to conquering with relative ease in the past.

The Bounty Tracker will offer 3 each week, each of which offers you a selection of rewards upon completion. Finishing all 3 in a given week guarantees a random exotic drop, 290-310 light. Limited to 1 completion per account.

- Complete a level 40+ strike without using any subclass abilities to damage/kill any enemies (aka no melees while charged, no grenades, no supers)
- Complete any strike from the Director's menu, solo, while being at least 15 light below the recommended level throughout the entire activity
- Finish a level 36+ strike with a fireteam where the only damage dealt to the final boss is dealt by using supers only
- Complete the daily mission, solo, by using only your primary weapon and abilities to damage/kill enemies
- Complete a Nightfall strike with a fireteam consisting only of matching elemental weapons and subclass abilities (all guns and subclasses must be only void, solar or arc) - kinetic excluded

- 15 Pack of Coins

Would use the same reward screen as this, but include the options above, selected at random:

Like it, I wish they would do something to make VoG and Crota still worth while. Drops of legacy raid are at like 280 or something and requires infusion to name them viable for current end game

Homeboyd

Like it, I wish they would do something to make VoG and Crota still worth while. Drops of legacy raid are at like 280 or something and requires infusion to name them viable for current end game
Yeah I don't think they're going to do anything to encourage players to go back and play those raids while the new "DLC" is still so new. But yeah, a "remix" of those raids at some point would be great.

Saint9806

I've never done Crota's End. If I do it now at Light 298, will the loot drop according to my light level or will I get lower level loot?

Kyoufu

That's the worst idea. If VoC and Fatebringer were made viable for current content then...

I think you know what would entail.

E92 M3

Raid Vendor

Legendary Challenges

- 15 Pack of Coins

I think having a raid vendor is the most important step. Will free up the vault as well and give us a collection to work towards.

zewone

Luke Smith gave an interview saying that Trials weapons having an element was a mistake.

Give Trials stuff god tier PvP perks.

Them having an element doesn't seem like a mistake at all.

It would be really dumb if they HM and Trials doesn't have elements. Especially, the raid. All those weapons suck and the only thing that would make them worthwhile is having an element.

lt519

Why? Even if you don't like the HM gear, you can at least use it for infusion fuel.

To what end? Why be 320 if the only content to be 320 for is the HM raid which in turn doesn't give any good gear?

The point being that if the HM raid doesn't have new and/or improved weapons over the NM (beyond increasing light level) there is zero incentive to run it besides having fun, which I can assure you NM will be more fun for 99.99% of the people.

LTWood12

Luke Smith gave an interview saying that Trials weapons having an element was a mistake.

Give Trials stuff god tier PvP perks.

I only think so in the context of Skolas hardly EVER dropping elemental primaries, especially if it was one of your first clears. If Skolas had had guaranteed weapon drops or close to it people wouldn't have been nearly as salty about the Trials weapons.

A raid vendor/kiosk is a must at this point. It would be so nice to have that as someone who likes to collect things. The raid vendor should just be Praedyth's pile of bones.

zewone

I only think so in the context of Skolas hardly EVER dropping elemental primaries, especially if it was one of your first clears. If Skolas had had guaranteed weapon drops or close to it people wouldn't have been nearly as salty about the Trials weapons.

True, plus Prison of Elders was pretty lame altogether especially with no checkpoints for Skolas.

While on the other hand, Trials was awesome.

zewone

Exactly. Nobody is going to be 320 for HM on day one.

My point is, why would you do HM for infusion purposes just to do HM again?

I would only do hard mode if the gear was better than normal in ways other than a higher light level. Namely elemental weapons. Otherwise, it seems like a waste of time.

PuMa

TTK so far has been all about expanding our options for viable high-level gear. If they drop elemental primaries in HM KF, they are severely restricting those options again. I'd much rather they keep it open. If they are going to bring back elemental primaries, then have a special item that can infuse that into your weapon (as someone mentioned earlier). Or maybe if you infuse a HM raid primary with an element into another gun, it carries with it that element.

zewone

TTK so far has been all about expanding our options for viable high-level gear. If they drop elemental primaries in HM KF, they are severely restricting those options again. I'd much rather they keep it open. If they are going to bring back elemental primaries, then have a special item that can infuse that into your weapon (as someone mentioned earlier). Or maybe if you infuse a HM raid primary with an element into another gun, it carries with it that element.

Elemental weapons give you options. If you choose to use kinect weapons and infuse to 320 (or 330), that option is still available to you.

If you guys don't think elemental weapons are a necessity, you don't have to use them.

PuMa

I would only do hard mode if the gear was better than normal in ways other than a higher light level. Namely elemental weapons. Otherwise, it seems like a waste of time.

Well, first, because it's fun. Not everyone needs a shiny carrot at the end. It's really just like any big MMO/RPG cycle though. The gear you get in the encounter helps you get more powerful so the challenge becomes easier.

Elemental weapons give you options. If you choose to use kinect weapons and infuse to 320 (or 330), that option is still available to you.

If you guys don't think elemental weapons are a necessity, you don't have to use them.

Of course you don't HAVE to. But if you went into any Y1 NF without VoC or Fatebringer or the like, you were severely hampering yourself for no reason. There weren't many options.

flkraven

The same reason why everyone does everything over and over again. There no inherent reason to really do anything in this game. As long as the gear is over 310, people will run the raid every week since that is the new 'top tier' stuff, regardless whether or not it has a burn.

I like super difficult stuff.... and i'll likely run for the fun of it... but i completely agree with you. If the loot isn't worthwhile... nobody is going to be running it. So far with all the good TTK has brought... loot/drops/rewards has taken a serious turn for the worse.

BraXzy

Is there any point trying to get my other characters to IB rank 5? Already got the hunter cloak, sidearm and pulse on my Hunter. Not really interested in the armour for the other two.

noomi

Is there any point trying to get my other characters to IB rank 5? Already got the hunter cloak, sidearm and pulse on my Hunter. Not really interested in the armour for the other two.

I've thought about the same thing, and opted not to rank up my other 2 guys to rank 5.

All about the hunter ;)

zewone

Well, first, because it's fun. Not everyone needs a shiny carrot at the end. It's really just like any big MMO/RPG cycle though. The gear you get in the encounter helps you get more powerful so the challenge becomes easier.

Of course you don't HAVE to. But if you went into any Y1 NF without VoC or Fatebringer or the like, you were severely hampering yourself for no reason. There weren't many options.

The same reason why everyone does everything over and over again. There no inherent reason to really do anything in this game. As long as the gear is over 310, people will run the raid every week since that is the new 'top tier' stuff, regardless whether or not it has a burn.

Different strokes I suppose. I didn't find hard Crota fun at all and stopped doing that as soon as I got the guns I wanted.

Hard VoG was fun though.

We'll see. I somehow think that hard KF will fall on more of the annoying side, but I'll wait until I actually play it to decide.

Weekly bounties make it levelling up quite nice on the last day.

On Xbox I was barely Rank 3. Played 1 game and turned in all 3 weeklies and rank 5 achieved. Now I have a legitimate Primary (Nirwin's Mercy) for Trials.

PuMa

Different strokes I suppose. I didn't find hard Crota fun at all and stopped doing that as soon as I got the guns I wanted.

Hard VoG was fun though.

We'll see. I somehow think that hard KF will fall on more of the annoying side, but I'll wait until I actually play it to decide.

Yeah, there is definitely an apparent division of opinions on the topic.

But I think the loot system with TTK and KF now is actually better than it was. Once you had all of the gear from the old raids, there was no longer any gear-based incentive to running it. But now you can take that redundant gear and infuse it into other items to make them better. Which is where all the options come in...I kinda like that about it.

lt519

Hard VoG was fun though.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. My money would be on KF hard mode just being artificially difficult besides the challenge of no revives. Didn't they design HM first and then scale it back for NM? I think the mechanics will be the same, just more annoying yellow enemies and higher light level bosses. If the loot is just higher light level of what already exists I'd rather just replay the Normal Mode which is actually fun when you have a good fire team. That being said it's almost a guarantee Oryx will drop something HM specific that everyone will want at first and then realize it's nothing special like the Necro

Rank 4 is worth it for the quick 25 legendary marks if you can pull off Top Score on your team/10 kill streak. I really struggle with the Top Score one. Got it early on with my Hunter but never did with my Titan.

OkayRene

Ugh not to mention you're gonna wanna keep 3 dupes of each. One in each elemental flavor.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

No, unless you're gonna be playing for drops anyway. It takes only a few matches to get your alts to level 5. I went from 0 to 5 on my alt in just one short GAF IB train.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Weekly bounties make it levelling up quite nice on the last day.

On Xbox I was barely Rank 3. Played 1 game and turned in all 3 weeklies and rank 5 achieved. Now I have a legitimate Primary (Nirwin's Mercy) for Trials.

Yeah I really like the weekly bounty idea. Means I don't have to play as much to reach rank 5. This IB I just played a few matches to get my dailies done, meanwhile I had the weeklies pretty much done at Day 2. Sat on those until Sunday, turned them in and then hit Rank 5.

amlabella

Would anyone be willing to join a friend and I for the new Taken King raid this Saturday? I'm light level 295 and I believe he's 293. We'd be going in fresh, though we did the first raid in the base game way back when. Doesn't matter if you've played the raid before, we're fine with a casual playthrough to just have fun and see the content. The whole Saturday is pretty much wide open, so if there's any interest let me know.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Considering the mechanics of KF, I think HM KF will be really unfriendly to relatively inexperienced raiders/not so good players. There won't be a lot of room for error, and your team can't really make up for someone dying as easily as they could in Crota or VoG. In Crota or VoG, if someone died, everything was still doable easily. Won't really be the case in HM KF, so I expect the "experienced players only!!!" thing to get more pronounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom