• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realise that the internet is a little picky when you need to put this rider in:

Some in the studio took issue with the rhythm of progression, which would have shown players all four main planets—Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars—within the first few missions of the game. (Obviously the moon isn’t technically a “planet,” but in the parlance of Destiny, the two are interchangeable.)

"Destiny’s story went through several revisions before the reboot, but the supercut’s version revolved around players’ hunt for the warmind Rasputin"

Ah fuck me! I love Rasputin. Best character in the game. God I wish I could have played that version. Maybe Destiny 2 will be more Rasputin heavy.

PuMa

Cool details on what the story could have been, but we pretty much already knew about the whole reboot thing, I thought.

AngerdX

Nice job, fund it a good read, altho quite expected by this point. :)

Anyone want to do the daily and get the ghost quest, maybe knock out the weekly too?

So i skimmed the article and as i thought... a bunch of shit was cut and not delivered as intended.

Scope of original game and (from my brief sprint through it i could be wrong so correct me if i am) each DLC was totally nerfed and cut back mostly due to crap source code and engine?

Man.. imagine what Destiny could have been if they had a solid engine and the setup wasn't as linear from the get go! We'd have had all this up to TTK in vanilla, day one Destiny!

X-Frame

Well, the class items unfortunately are all Vanguard rep bonus, which sucks. They really should be togglable between Vanguard & Crucible. As far as shaders go, I pick one for each subclass:
  • Rosegold for Defender (purple & gold)
  • Sunsetting for Sunbreaker (black & flame orange)
  • Surfbreaker for Striker (silver and blue)
That build is good for perks (Shotgun ammo for days), but I do want INT/STR for my Defender. I've got a good Striker INT/DISC build, but Defender is where my heart truly lies.

Cool! Where do you get Surfbreaker? Is it a new TTK shader?

Well, the class items unfortunately are all Vanguard rep bonus, which sucks. They really should be togglable between Vanguard & Crucible. As far as shaders go, I pick one for each subclass:
  • Rosegold for Defender (purple & gold)
  • Sunsetting for Sunbreaker (black & flame orange)
  • Surfbreaker for Striker (silver and blue)
That build is good for perks (Shotgun ammo for days), but I do want INT/STR for my Defender. I've got a good Striker INT/DISC build, but Defender is where my heart truly lies.

INT/STR you say? Get on the best looking armor in the game then! The NM stuff looks so good on Titan. Loves mah fur neck pelt.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While not quite pre 2.0 tier it still gets headshots at mid-range where I've found even Hawkmoon gets finicky. Nice stability but it can't be fired off quickly either. Hopefully Bungie goes back on the stability/accuracy nerf. Hand cannons are absolutely short range-medium range weapons but they insist on you picking your shots. With bullets flying everywhere at short range you aren't afforded the luxury to take your time. The rationale suggests mid but their effective range doesn't match up
What do I have to do to get my hands on one of these? What IS it Bungie-san? Why am I not worthy? HOW HAVE I DISPLEASED YOU
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm surprised that you aren't interested in knowing how the sausage got made.
an appropriate analogy. I love sausage and have no desire to have its origins spelled out for me. Also in skimming it, I'm comfortable calling "a substantial amount" of this stuff we'd already seen speculated upon many times over. :-/
lies, you will read it and discuss it here!
I've hereby done as much as I intend to of either one. highlight:
Jason Schreier I think said:
What if, instead of releasing two more DLC packs after The Taken King, they tried something new? What if they sold cosmetic items in the Tower? And then put out a dripfeed of free content to keep people playing in the months before “Destiny 2”—or whatever they wind up calling it—in the fall of 2016?
I say they call it something other than Destiny 2 or Destiny: {The} Thing of Stuff. Pull a "The Dark Knight."

Let's face it, Destiny is just sort of a dumb name for a videogame. It's not like it's intrinsically linked to any of the concepts within even a year deep, either.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Cool details on what the story could have been, but we pretty much already knew about the whole reboot thing, I thought.

Yeah, this has been known and verified since the Marty O'Donnel court verdict was released.

BahamutPT

The part of the story about rescuing
Rasputin, which was an Exo
and then
it just actually being a puppet controlled by the actual Rasputin Warmind
sounds pretty cool.

Lnkn52

And this is for you Jason....

Deku.gif

zewone

No wonder most of the missions in the DLCs are just players going through the same area backwards.

The tools to design new maps sounds like garbage.

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”
HOLY SHIT!!! It isn't a live team fixing this game, it is a zombie team waiting for maps to load.

Jabronium

Good read. Just makes me long even more for what the game could've been, even with the big step up TTK was. If TTK to "Destiny 2" is the same leap as vanilla to TTK, I'll be extremely happy.

Thanks for the article Jason.

Nice to hear the European Dead Zone and the Mars Raid are real and somewhat playable. Though doubtful, here's hoping it's released as part of the drip feed over the next year and not saved for Destiny 2.

zewone

I have a feeling that Bungie made the right decision scrapping whatever they did in 2013. It likely was shit and only the people who made the shit would defend it.

I don't think the head of the dev team would put all that pressure on his team by rebooting if it wasn't necessary.

Klyka

Banned
anyone have a link to those impressions? I remember seeing someone post about them a while ago but couldn't find them

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/09/15/destiny

Thanks for the article Jason.

Nice to hear the European Dead Zone and the Mars Raid are real and somewhat playable. Though doubtful, here's hoping it's released as part of the drip feed over the next year and not saved for Destiny 2.

None of that happened. In March of 2014, Bungie rebooted Comet, sources say. The team ultimately decided to focus it around a single major map—the Hive ship that had been cut from vanilla Destiny—as well as a new public space on Mars, complete with strikes and a new raid. (That entire last Mars chunk was later cut and passed to Activision subsidiary High Moon Studios to develop for Destiny’s full-sized 2016 sequel, a source said.) Over the months, Bungie kept rescoping as they looked more realistically at what they could do, and the final version of The Taken King—the one that shipped last month—wound up focusing solely on the Dreadnaught.

Wilde

Interesting, so in addition to the dreadnaught, the "Comet" expansion was originally going to contain Jupiter's moon Europa and the European deadzone on Earth as new destinations, and a new raid on Mars. Well, hopefully we get to see those in the sequel.

Definity

Nice article jason. I was surprised to hear about the limitations of internal design tools but I guess some of that is expected with a new engine.

Edit:
Can I have that mars raid soon? Please.

The part of the story about rescuing
Rasputin, which was an Exo
and then
it just actually being a puppet controlled by the actual Rasputin Warmind
sounds pretty cool.

This right here... just having this sequence of events and the entire
Dreadnaught with Rasputin/Warmind
in day-one vanilla Destiny would have made it so much better... and by now we'd have moved on to
Europa, Chicago, the new Mars-area
and who knows where else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom