• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

That entire last Mars chunk was later cut and passed to Activision subsidiary High Moon Studios to develop for Destiny’s full-sized 2016 sequel, a source said.)

Is Jason saying that high moon studios is developing Destiny Fall 2016 by itself? What about Bungie?

After reading this I will never EVER write "It's such a small change,it should take them 5 minutes tops!" about this game.

I mean, it's not your fault their tools are shit though. Realistically small stuff like that SHOULD be quick/easy. Pretty mind blowing for a huge studio to have such terrible tools.

Bold One

Wait guys.

GUYS.

Schreier....Schreier means "Screamer" or "screaming person" in German....
Destiny is a game....Screamer....game.....SCREAMER GAME!!

DESTINY 2 IS A JUMP SCARE HEAVY SURVIVAL HORROR SHOOTER CONFIRMED!

the start of the Lunar Complex with the hive was pretty creepy

Klyka

Banned
Is Jason saying that high moon studios is developing Destiny Fall 2016 by itself? What about Bungie?

I think they are running two studios, Bungie and High Moon to work on it so as to speed up development and crank out more content for the sequel.

They REALLY need a huge game for Destiny 2 to shut up all the "just another content less husk" haters

WOAH. This bit about Taken King:

(That entire last Mars chunk was later cut and passed to Activision subsidiary High Moon Studios to develop for Destiny’s full-sized 2016 sequel, a source said.​

After reading this I will never EVER write "It's such a small change,it should take them 5 minutes tops!" about this game.

Well that part is accurate. It just seems they have garbage tools. Hopefully they can resolve those in the next year so in Destiny 2, five minute fixes actually take five minutes.

From reading the article it sounds like the original story was bad and this stitched together version we got was better, though still bad because of the nature of taking pieces and jamming them together hastily.
I'm glad they ditched the original story, but I wish they had a lot more time to rework it.
Too many people focus on what could have been and assume what was there before was better than what we got. People never assume that maybe the old thing was bad and while this isn't necessarily good, it's better.

I honestly don't think a good Destiny story ever existed until TTK. Which is faint praise.

spyder_ur

Fantastic article Jason if you're reading - well-written, researched, and measured.

I don't think there's a smoking gun or anything but this further outlines what many have suspected.

The big takeaway for me moving forward is continued pessimism about the quality and volume of content we're going to get from the 'live team' in lieu of formal DLCs, supported by statements like this:

People who worked on this project say that one of Bungie’s fundamental issues over the past few years has been the game’s engine, which the studio built from scratch alongside Destiny. Four sources pointed to Destiny’s technology—the tools they use to design levels, render graphics, and create content—as an inhibiting factor in the game’s development.

Klyka

Banned
Well that part is accurate. It just seems they have garbage tools. Hopefully they can resolve those in the next year so in Destiny 2, five minute fixes actually take five minutes.

It is, but I'm not gonna be mad a "normal joe programmer" who just wants to fix stuff and has to hope his loader works overnight when he comes to the studio.

The blame lies with the people who sanctioned all this.

Imagine being a programmer at Bungie and all you want to do is fix stuff for the community you care about and it takes you DAYS just because the tolls you were given or even told to make are shit.

It sounds more like they are doing finishing touches on things that have already been developed while Bungie works on the bigger new things. At least that is what I hope.

Deku Tree

Article said:
What if they sold cosmetic items in the Tower? And then put out a dripfeed of free content to keep people playing in the months before “Destiny 2”—or whatever they wind up calling it—in the fall of 2016?

Yup the new free content this year is going to be a "dripfeed". Next raid is gonna be in Destiny 2 IMO. Ugh.

FyreWulff

sigh.

still respect your hustle jason.

Nah. Jason Schrier is an asshole for pushing the tabloidization of regular game development.

Him coming in here and hyping up his article should tell you he's more interesting in "look at me!" than any actual investigative product.

Unstable

The article confirms many of my suspicions I've had about the game.

The thing that gets me the most is this;
Most of the development team was proud of the game, a source told me, and many were shocked to see harsh reviews; although most at Bungie had anticipated that players wouldn’t love the story, the team thought Destiny made up for that deficiency in many other ways. One source says they had internal surveys pegging the Metacritic score at around a 90 average; it turned out to be a 76.

I have a hard time believing that Bungie really didn't know what they were shipping. For a company so brilliant, could be that arrogant, or ignorant, or both.

From reading the article it sounds like the original story was bad and this stitched together version we got was better, though still bad because of the nature of taking pieces and jamming them together hastily.
I'm glad they ditched the original story, but I wish they had a lot more time to rework it.
Too many people focus on what could have been and assume what was there before was better than what we got. People never assume that maybe the old thing was bad and while this isn't necessarily good, it's better.

I honestly don't think a good Destiny story ever existed until TTK. Which is faint praise.

I don't know. As someone who has spent some time reading Grimoire lore, I think they built a really cohesive mythology in Destiny and there was some really intriguing things that could have been uncovered and explored in the game had that lore been represented. It is hard to say that the shipped version of the story is better than the scrapped version because there isn't even a story in vanilla destiny. It is fragmented crap. I guess I would have preferred an over ambitious linear story falling flat than no story at all.

KodaRuss

Good article and pretty much what we heard/speculated did happened. Sounds like that Super Cut was pretty bad.

I like that they made the story/game less linear but the story that it originally had sounds way more interesting.

The stuff about the engine/code was depressing, definitely explains why it takes them a while to fix things.

I hope the people at Bungie really dont get too burnt out because that release schedule is pretty rough. They really did make a great/innovative game that does a ton of things extremely well and a few things just ok or so so (at least in Vanilla).

Kyoufu

That was a great read.

So who is ready for Destiny 2 next year? Maybe they should change their engine or something if their current tools are that bad...

I want to go to Europa (there were some concept art before launch that looked amazing) and I want that multiple fireteams meeting up to take down some boss ASAP.

Lnkn52

Yup the new free content this year is going to be a "dripfeed". Next raid is gonna be in Destiny 2 IMO. Ugh.

They are still loading the map...

destiny.gif

FyreWulff

Jason, Kirk, and Kotaku as a whole are doing great things when it comes to real-ass journalism. Excited to read whatever this is.

From the site that posts Microsoft press-releases word for word as truth when 2 minutes of googling shows a complete fabrication.

suuuuuuure

E92 M3

Nah. Jason Schrier is an asshole for pushing the tabloidization of regular game development.

Him coming in here and hyping up his article should tell you he's more interesting in "look at me!" than any actual investigative product.

Why so rude? It was a nice read.

I was actually going to say the complete opposite.

The original story sounds magnitudes better than what we've got/gotten so far. Day one Destiny rescuing a kidnapped Rasputin on the dreadnaught who's actually controlling/or is an exo.... Cayde-6 being a mysterious villain character antagonizing us through the story... Osiris, our jedi-master like mentor living in a hidden Vex outpost on Mercury... vs...

Well, you all know what we've got so far :(

Fantastic article Jason if you're reading - well-written, researched, and measured.

I don't think there's a smoking gun or anything but this further outlines what many have suspected.

The big takeaway for me moving forward is continued pessimism about the quality and volume of content we're going to get from the 'live team' in lieu of formal DLCs, supported by statements like this:

Didn't even think about this aspect. I agree. The details of this story make me even more pessimistic about what the live team are going to be able to deliver in the next year. :(

zewone

A bit harsh. The guy regularly posts in DGAF threads as player and him letting us know a new Destiny article was coming was him having a bit of fun.

Deku Tree

Article said:
as well as a new public space on Mars, complete with strikes and a new raid. (That entire last Mars chunk was later cut and passed to Activision subsidiary High Moon Studios to develop for Destiny’s full-sized 2016 sequel, a source said.)

Article said:
People who worked on Destiny rave about the European Dead Zone and the raid on Mars, both of which may be added to the game in the coming months and years, but there’s skepticism that this yearly schedule will really work for a studio like Bungie. Insiders worry that the studio, hampered by inadequate technology, could find itself overwhelmed by the never-ending demand for more content.

That pretty much confirms it for me. No new Raid until Destiny 2 in Fall 2016. Horrible.

Kyoufu

The article confirms many of my suspicions I've had about the game.

The thing that gets me the most is this;

I have a hard time believing that Bungie really didn't know what they were shipping. For a company so brilliant, could be that arrogant, or ignorant, or both.

Yeah, I could have told them the game wouldn't score so high if they let me play it before release :p

FyreWulff

Why so rude? It was a nice read.

It was information that was already known, or is standard game development being presented as a big revelation.

Bungie already said themselves publically multiple times that they had to get their internal tools up to speed. They repeatedly said it was a new engine. Which means new middle ware, which means you lose all the 'battle tested' code you had with your previous games.

It's hilarious when people keep begging for developers to make new engines and then ignore the cost of making a new engine (rebooting your entire internal toolchain and retraining everyone)

This isn't journalism, investigative, or even useful. It's a hitpiece on a developer that has always been open about their failures, but because they didn't write their post mortems fast enough they're now being treated as "hiding something".

So the crucible maps Widows Court and Memento are totally from the cut European Dead Zone right? Damn, I think those maps have some really cool art direction and a patrol space in that zone would be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom