• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azull

Hey all, was wondering if anyone had the patience and time to run the Kings fall raid on normal with four fresh peeps. We've been trying to do it for the past couple of weeks but we couldn't find anyone to run it with us.

Tovarisc

I'm honestly 50/50 right now. I want some emotes, but I don't want to just buy stuff without seeing what content the live team is going to be providing throughout the year. I love Destiny and I want to support Bungie, but I also don't want to throw money on emotes and just get more Queen's Wrath nonsense. Am I wrong to be skeptical?

No, imo it's most healthy state to be in about this.

rNilla

Viewing transactions for new emotes and upcoming new content as a 1:1 relationship seems weird to me. Valid perspective but certainly not mine. As always I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I'm honestly 50/50 right now. I want some emotes, but I don't want to just buy stuff without seeing what content the live team is going to be providing throughout the year. I love Destiny and I want to support Bungie, but I also don't want to throw money on emotes and just get more Queen's Wrath nonsense. Am I wrong to be skeptical?

Nah, that's why they should be priced at impulse levels. I'll buy them because they are fun, not to tip the Live Team.

Zocano

What do games like WoW and Dota 2 charge for cosmetic items? I'm guessing it will be in that ballpark.

If I may...

So with Dota 2 there are a multitude of items that you can purchase.

Actual cosmetics for each hero, different courier skins (instead of a Donkey it's a Sheep or a Panda or a Red Panda or a Panda WW2 Pilot named Captain Bamboo!), different HUDs and different game announcers (think Quake 3 announcer voice), there are a few other smaller things but those make up the bulk of the DotA 2 market.

A standard courier is about $5 on the player market and $10 in the store.

Voice packs are all $5.

HUDs are $3.

Now the average set of clothing runs you ~$1.50 on the player market. You can buy these items separately and they are cheaper for it. Or you can pay $2.50 to open a chest that gives you a random set out of a small collection (each chest having a unique collection of its own).

Now there are also special fancier sets above the ones found in chests. Those all run at $15 on the Steam store and you can find them for a bit less on the player market (~$10).

There is also one even more special tier of clothing for your heroes above these "legendary" sets and they are complete custom remakes of each hero in very very different ways. These are sold for $35 on the steam store and roughly the same on the player market. These items are called Arcana and can be matched with the other items as well.

There are also fancy items that are usually given out during tournaments that modify spell animations and are unique to each hero. These are all about $5/ea and rarer ones can run you about $10. These are called Immortals.

NOW here is where the fun starts.

There are a small selection of exceedingly rare items that came out and were discontinued and never to be dropped random again. The ones in the market floating around are the only ones left and basically serve as the standard for money. Pudge Dragonclaw hooks are all $250/ea. There was a set for Ursa (a large bear man) that was a Scandinavian yodeler set and was taken out very promptly due to "controversy" over it. The full set will run you ~$1000 dollars.

Every courier in the game can drop as a special "unusual" courier. These couriers are extra special because they can be given special gems that make them glow certain colors or have special effects like sprouting flowers wherever they run. Any of these couriers can run from $30 to $500 dolllars. The gems themselves also are about $15 to $50.

Remember those things called Immortals that are handed out at tournaments? Well there is a special Courier type Immortal that is handed out sometimes as well. The way it works is thus: Every Tournament chest has a very small chance to give you a Tournament exclusive Courier. Every Tournament event has a very very small chance to give you a GOLD chest rather than a standard Tourney chest. In this rare Gold chest you have a very very very small chance to get a Courier from it. These Gold Couriers can run you up to $2000 dollars.

256px-Cosmetic_icon_Captain_Bamboo.png

Captain Bamboo loves you, too, and wants you to buy him and all his friends!

I have no idea how much I have spent on Dota 2

Tecnniqe

Banned
or limited by the engine they're currently using cuz it's cross-gen. basically everything needs to 1:1 with PS3/360 and that blows.

Last gen is called last gen for a reason.
Its time to let it go, let it go.

LEET IT GOOOO LET IT GOOO

How much do we think armor and weapons are going to go for at Lord Saladbars place tomorrow?

It's going to be legendary marks to buy this stuff, right?

R0ckman

I wonder how much of a challenge with balance it is making PvP maps based on the type of modes and other elements. Something that never set well with me even in the alpha and beta were how quickly you respond, and depending on the maps it was hell in control matches, sometimes I would be fighting the same guy I killed less than 20 seconds ago and they'd be right back there at the zone getting all up in my grill...

No.

They really should give us a preview. Not of the whole year, but of at least an example of a content drop. But they don't have to. They could have dropped this in in-addition to the standard DLC model. Bungie did a great job managing expectations for TTK. They kept them modest and we were thrilled by how much was there. They should give a preview and undersell. It'll keep the community from getting carried away with dreams of additional raids and big map packs, etc.

Last year's Live Team was 4 people (around this time) who apparently did everything from Jack-o-lytes to Cryptarch tweaks and Mythoclast nerfs. Probably also explains why Heavy Ammo bug lasted for months and months and Bungie didn't even have Xur sell Heavy Ammo every week to make up for it.

I really want to know what we should expect from them this year. I'm keep my expectations modest.

But here's the thing. Only buy the emotes if you're okay with buying them and only them for that price. Don't buy them with the expectation that you're buying DLC as well. That way you won't be disappointed.

OkayRene

At least in case of DotA 2 and TF 2 it's basically community deciding worth of cosmetic items. More rarer stuff is more expensive and so on.

Does Path of Exile count? They sell all kinds of stuff like weapon effects, armor effects, alternative skill effects and some emotes like dances.

Dance for a class costs 40 PoE currency and 50 of that currency costs 5 USD.

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

So about $5. Alright, I'd be cool with $5 emotes. I think anyone expecting $0.99 emotes are in for a rude awakening, though.

Kyne

1lmu0P6.gif

So my roommates (I have 2, they are a couple) who are the most amazing girls I've had the pleasure of being surrounded by recently got a PS4. They also got Destiny with it and individually seem to be really into the game.

However.. they are 2.. and we all know the downside to Destiny when it comes to co-op. One of them may lose their job soon so after this purchase they'll probably be keeping a low profile when it comes to extracurricular activities.

I have decided to give them my PS4.

They started streaming on Twitch recently so I'm sure it'll be a nice crowd draw as well. I know they will have loads of fun with the game as they both come from MMO/FPS backgrounds. I wish them all the best. My PS4 did me well.

Also, I just bought this.

If you're in the market for one you should check out newegg. No tax and for a limited time it comes bundled with FF-Type 0 for the PS4. ^___^

1lmu0P6.gif

So my roommates (I have 2, they are a couple) who are the most amazing girls I've had the pleasure of being surrounded by recently got a PS4. They also got Destiny with it and individually seem to be really into the game.

However.. they are 2.. and we all know the downside to Destiny when it comes to co-op. One of them may lose their job soon so after this purchase they'll probably be keeping a low profile when it comes to extracurricular activities.

I have decided to give them my PS4.

They started streaming on Twitch recently so I'm sure it'll be a nice crowd draw as well. I know they will have loads of fun with the game as they both come from MMO/FPS backgrounds. I wish them all the best. My PS4 did me well.

Also, I just bought this.

If you're in the market for one you should check out newegg. No tax and for a limited time it comes bundled with FF-Type 0 for the PS4. ^___^

Good luck on nat issues, running more than 1 ps4 on a single ip can be a ball ache.
If you have issues there are certain routers that support this (all ps4s use the same ports so traffic gets fucked up)

It's going to be funny when someone discovers a way to geometry glitch or some sort of cheese based on a specific new emote, and then everyone rushes to buy it and then everyone loses their shit for it to be patched.

BreakJohn

told myself i wouldn't buy any emotes no matter how cheap they were....

saw the Carlton dance just now.... proceeded to take out my wallet.

bungie really knows how to get us huh? lol

Kyne

Good luck on nat issues, running more than 1 ps4 on a single ip can be a ball ache.
If you have issues there are certain routers that support this (all ps4s use the same ports so traffic gets fucked up)

mhm, well like I said.. they already have 1 PS4, and we've already partied/ran stuff without any issues with the 2 on the network. Hopefully increasing the number of PS4's to 3 won't add any problems?

Deku Tree

It's going to be funny when someone discovers a way to geometry glitch or some sort of cheese based on a specific new emote, and then everyone rushes to buy it and then everyone loses their shit for it to be patched.

All the geometry glitch's are done with your sparrow.

Tecnniqe

Banned

I dont actually think the character model change position when using the emotes.

Hey all, was wondering if anyone had the patience and time to run the Kings fall raid on normal with four fresh peeps. We've been trying to do it for the past couple of weeks but we couldn't find anyone to run it with us.

Are you looking for a guide of sorts? I'd like to help, but I've only run it once so I wouldn't be able to dictate much of the mechanics. Tomorrow is reset day, so there is bound to be quite some activity in regards to the raid that you and your friends can plan for.

Definity

or limited by the engine they're currently using cuz it's cross-gen. basically everything needs to 1:1 with PS3/360 and that blows.

kinda funny, but I was watching some video captured from the 360 and the touch of malice weapon is static. The center sphere doesn't move at all, lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
im just going to brag again because it was like 2:30am before, I soloed the ToM version of Fear's Embrace and killed the Echo and it was straight crazy.
On normal! XD That's rich. hehe

I'd be interested. It would be good practice for me as I'm just about ready to start including KF in the rotation for Weekly Newbie Raids. When were you thinking of doing this?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Some of the new ones seem to introduce much more movement to the character model. Wouldn't be surprised if someone finds an emote specific exploit.

Yes, but even then the hitbox may still stay in the same position as when used, thus not causing a option for a glitch.

Yes, but even then the hitbox may still stay in the same position as when used, thus not causing a option for a glitch.

Typically things going wrong or exploited are from unintended consequences. To say emotes can't glitch is basically saying, their behavior is infallible. I am not claiming that there will be for certain, emote based exploits. I just commented that because they are behind a micro transaction now, any sort of non purely cosmetic interaction with the game is going to be an entertaining internet outrage explosion.

Edit: Remember sparrow dancing? That was an emote based glitch.

chur

mhm, well like I said.. they already have 1 PS4, and we've already partied/ran stuff without any issues with the 2 on the network. Hopefully increasing the number of PS4's to 3 won't add any problems?
When we did King's Fall you had 3 PS4s on the same network didn't you? I didn't notice any network issues.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Anybody wanna start a Trials team with me where we just hide in a corner and use the trembling emote? lol

Tecnniqe

Banned
Typically things going wrong or exploited are from unintended consequences. To say emotes can't glitch is basically saying, their behavior is infallible. I am not claiming that there will be for certain, emote based exploits. I just commented that because they are behind a micro transaction now, any sort of non purely cosmetic interaction with the game is going to be an entertaining internet outrage explosion.

Edit: Remember sparrow dancing? That was an emote based glitch.

Yeah but the sparrow was the reason for it.

What im saying is even if you character roll around on the floor i assume the hitbox and the geometry model of the character is still in the same position as when you used the mote. Which wont allow you to enter the geometry using an emote, as character will resume from the position it started.

If you get what i mean.
I'm torn:

Need to do my dailies and get my Titan ready but also need to do stuff for University
wtzgU.gif
Get Uni stuff done, then hammer it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom