• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stb

2 part question:

1) Cozmo re-confirmed that they're setting 310 Spindles down to 290, but they haven't actually executed that, nor said precisely when that's happening, right?

2) What's the minimum ATK a special weapon should be to infuse my 310 Spindle into it to *guarantee* the new ATK of that special is 310?

Emote pricing:
- I'm in the $1.99 camp.
- Anything higher is cray. The $20 CE pack was 3 emotes, 3 shaders, and 3 exotics (albeit of limited use); if you divide that $20 evenly, everything was ~$2.22 each.
- $0.99 is too low, because they wouldn't be able to ever price them lower than that outside of bundles. EDIT: and they'd be crucified for raising the price if it turned out they could have gone higher.
- I'll grab my free emote(s), but probably won't buy any. If they give us silver for anything in the future, I'll happily take more. The only way I could see myself spending money is if I ever have an awkward amount of money in my PSN account.

They are definitely going to be more than $2.99. It's easier to price them higher and lower the price as necessary instead of pricing them super low and then raising the price. It's going to be $4.99 for one, and then some package deals like 3 for $10 or 4 for $15 or whatever.

You're right that it's easier to lower the price than it is to raise it, the deciding factor will be the cost in terms of man hours to create. There's potentially no limit to the amount of emotes, shaders, and emblems they could produce, so there should be little worry about these items being "old" unlike mounts or pets in something like WoW.

If it's relatively easy to create the emotes, then it would be better to price them low to encourage impulse buys and then just add new batches every so often for an influx of cash when most needed.

Looking at the CE for TTK, the emotes were the most appealing part of it. If you go by that pricing, $3-$5 makes more sense. I only see myself getting the free ones anyway, but that's my line of thinking.

Could be. If that's the case, I'll ignore them like TTK CE pack. I won't be salty about it, I just won't participate.

border

The people hoping for $1-$2 emotes are joking themselves.

Just get used to the idea of $5 emotes, and if it turns out that they cost less you'll at least be pleasantly surprised.

You don't want to know.

Oh boy

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/category/ingame-items
$10 for "pets" which is like Pokemon
$15 for cosmetic helmets
$25 for mounts

So my diamond encrusted Ghost will cost that much....

Dota 2 "treasure" is like $2.50. The treasure gives you a random chance at a few different cosmetic sets.

But Dota 2 also has the steam marketplace to buy individual items from. Some items end up being just a few cents. Some hundreds of dollars. We won't have that in Destiny.

I hope not.

LTWood12

2 part question:

1) Cozmo re-confirmed that they're setting 310 Spindles down to 290, but they haven't actually executed that, nor said precisely when that's happening, right?

2) What's the minimum ATK a special weapon should be to infuse my 310 Spindle into it to *guarantee* the new ATK of that special is 310?

Emote pricing:
- I'm in the $1.99 camp.
- Anything higher is cray. The $20 CE pack was 3 emotes, 3 shaders, and 3 exotics (albeit of limited use); if you divide that $20 evenly, everything was ~$2.22 each.
- $0.99 is too low, because they wouldn't be able to ever price them lower than that outside of bundles.
- I'll grab my free emote(s), but probably won't buy any. If they give us silver for anything in the future, I'll happily take more. The only way I could see myself spending money is if I ever have an awkward amount of money in my PSN account.

304 I believe.

Trickster

What do games like WoW and Dota 2 charge for cosmetic items? I'm guessing it will be in that ballpark.

Dota 2 prices vary hugely. you can buy items on the user marketplace for as low as 3 cents. But there's also 6-7 premium sets that valve sells called "arcana" sets, that go for 25 dollars.

Normally though, you're probably looking at around 1-2½ dollars for a complete set containing 3-7 items for a hero.

The people hoping for $1-$2 emotes are joking themselves.

Just get used to the idea of $5 emotes, and if it turns out that they cost less you'll at least be pleasantly surprised.

5 dollar per emote would be the dumbest thing I've seen in a long as time. It'd be even worse that the famous horse armor dlc for ES:O

Tovarisc

Dota 2 "treasure" is like $2.50. The treasure gives you a random chance at a few different cosmetic sets.

But Dota 2 also has the steam marketplace to buy individual items from. Some items end up being just a few cents. Some hundreds of dollars. We won't have that in Destiny.

At least in case of DotA 2 and TF 2 it's basically community deciding worth of cosmetic items. More rarer stuff is more expensive and so on.

Are there other games that charge for emotes/dances? Comparing helmets to a golf clap is hard.

Does Path of Exile count? They sell all kinds of stuff like weapon effects, armor effects, alternative skill effects and some emotes like dances.

Dance for a class costs 40 PoE currency and 50 of that currency costs 5 USD.

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

LiK

Bit of a Mexican stand off situation but, I want to see what content we're going to get before I start launching free money there way

same, i'll need to see how much more i'll play of this before i invest in emotes. got so many games coming out. all i really wanna do is the Heroic Raid and i'm taking another long break until next expansion. once Fallout 4 hits, i might not be back for a long while.

Daemul

Whatever the emote price is I won't be spending my own money on them anyway, I'll take the charity emotes we're being given, but I wanna wait and see whether the free content we're meant to be getting is worth all this.

WipedOut

It's going to be 2.99 per emote, bookmark it now. $1.99 would be the sweet spot but this is going to be activision led so better believe to expect $1 more. Wouldn't be surprised to see $4.99 Premium emotes though.

purg3

slept with Malkin
It's going to be 2.99 per emote, bookmark it now. $1.99 would be the sweet spot but this is going to be activision led so better believe to expect $1 more. Wouldn't be surprised to see $4.99 Premium emotes though.

I could see gestures being $1-2 and dances being $3-5

border

What are they selling besides emotes?

The postcards in that one YouTube video seemed to imply that they would have masks.

Tovarisc

Yeah, there is no way they don't do multiple price points based on quality/complexity of emote plus they just will know what stuff will sell more just because it's thing X. Also expect bundles around themes with small discount.

Its the price we pay for free content and no subscription price

Sony disagrees with you on that one :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Whatever the emote price is I won't be spending my own money on them anyway, I'll take the charity emotes we're being given, but I wanna wait and see whether the free content we're meant to be getting is worth all this.

Worth what? It's costing the players nothing if they choose.

We were sort of discussing this in the other thread, but once you do you daily stuff (bounties, story, PVP), what do you do?

It feels like nothing is worth your time after that.

I'm super skeptical as to if this free content is really going to be substantial. They don't exactly have a great track record with their content being worth the price of admission aside from Taken King.

LTWood12

It's free. I don't understand what you're saying.

I'm honestly 50/50 right now. I want some emotes, but I don't want to just buy stuff without seeing what content the live team is going to be providing throughout the year. I love Destiny and I want to support Bungie, but I also don't want to throw money on emotes and just get more Queen's Wrath nonsense. Am I wrong to be skeptical?

The good, the bad, and the ugly for me after playing most of TTK except for the raid. I know there's a lot more I'm missing but here's what I immediately came up with:

The good:
3oC
Exotics behind quests
Strike Specific loot
Motes of light
Being able to rebuy Exotics you've found before

The Bad:
Getting anything blue below 280 when you're 295+ light
Same thing with 280-290 "exotics". They should drop at 300 once you hit 295-299 and 300-310 once your light is 300+
Time locks and switching flips on quests
Too much jumping in the raid/no good way to practice and learn
Many exotics we know of possibly not currently obtainable
Perks still broken/wrong descriptions etc
Why do we have 47/50 fragments? More time locks? Lame as hell.
I haven't played the raid because I need 5 other people who are willing to help a complete newb do it. Repeatedly. So I'm at a 299 light brick wall at the moment. NOT fun.
Most hand cannons and side arms are a joke
Soul draining activities like the sword quest
Forced PVP for any quest

The Ugly:
Helmets/cloaks etc not changing colors to match shaders
Much of the blue rare gear looks better than the legendary

do it Bungie!

Both guardians have to purchase it... but when they do.... BOOM

giphy.gif

and gimmie some MJ 'tude!

Smooth-criminal-michael-jackson-33481833-500-281.gif

Laughlin

Did not know there was another part to the Sword Reforged Quest for more materials and Solar kills in my case :/

Just how long will 500 kills take to get my exotic sword?

Tecnniqe

Banned
How much to choose a different appearance for my Guardian and have a sex change too?

That is the real question

I'm honestly 50/50 right now. I want some emotes, but I don't want to just buy stuff without seeing what content the live team is going to be providing throughout the year. I love Destiny and I want to support Bungie, but I also don't want to throw money on emotes and just get more Queen's Wrath nonsense. Am I wrong to be skeptical?

Nope

Trickster

Its the price we pay for free content and no subscription price

You'd actually want enough people to buy the emotes though.

And I really doubt that a lot of people would be willing to pay almost a 10th of the price of a new 60 dollar game, per emote. I mean that's just insane. At that price, for 2 emotes in Destiny, I could get one of the story dlc's for Borderlands 2, which is litterally hours worth of content.

Nope, as good as parts of TTK are they seem to be fresh out of ideas

Messiek

You have a valid point and I agree. The emotes look nice and all , but we need understand how all this is going to work out.

Tovarisc

We were sort of discussing this in the other thread, but once you do you daily stuff (bounties, story, PVP), what do you do?

It feels like nothing is worth your time after that.

Depends on what you want to do / get.

Interested in some exotic items and got 3oC's from Xur or Nightfall? Go and farm some strikes while popping 3oC's. Then there is raids, but those are more weekly thing along with Nightfall. If you start to be at tail end of loot chase [300+ light] and have most if not all available exotics then amount of daily content is thin for sure, if PvP isn't your thing.

How much to choose a different appearance for my Guardian and have a sex change too?

It depends really, how okey you are with worm treatment?

No you're not. I too want to know where my money is going in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom