• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nothing beats shotguns up close. And quite a good amount of people who try to snipe me miss and sometimes I just stand there. From what I noticed the snipes that kill me are like 99% stares and 1% being Defiance. I don't think I've ever been killed by any other rifles. Which leads me to believe that AA is a huge factor.

stay gold

People still bitch about shotguns? If someone closes the gap on you with a shotty these days, you got outplayed, simple as that.

Burning Shrine, hype!

E92 M3

Responded to a hyperbole with a hyperbole apparently ;)
But I guess we can agree that the aim assist can be toned down right?

I think the problem is that there is so much focus on snipers because many of other weapons are mediocre. Trials also highlighted their importance. The AA has been generally the same throughout the lifespan of the game. It's just more evident now. I've been playing a little IB and honest only get sniped about 2 -5 times a game. Shotguns and CQC combat is still vastly more popular.

Simply put, it's more psychological than factual. Destiny is a casual shooter and the AA is fine for the environment.

Even before the aim assist changes in 2.0, snipers have always been insanely easy to use in this game.

Yes, easy for us, but not the majority. Destiny isn't designed to be a super competitive game anyways.

I'm not super interested in having the 100th iteration of the snipers/shotguns/AA debate, but I will say that going from Destiny to Halo 5 was seriously jarring. The lag was so much better so it felt like all my shots were fair, except the aim assist was so much less I couldn't hit shit for the most part, haha.

So we agree that fusions and sidearms take the most skill.
Definitely think Fusion Rifles take skill.
Responded to a hyperbole with a hyperbole apparently ;)
But I guess we can agree that the aim assist can be toned down right?
I don't mind that at all, and range perk in high impact shotguns should be gone too.
People still bitch about shotguns? If someone closes the gap on you with a shotty these days, you got outplayed, simple as that.

Burning Shrine, hype!
When nearly all maps are closed corridors I don't know how you can seriously say this. The best way to stop an incoming slide shotgunner is with The Last Word, which isn't available to everyone.

todd360

I'm not super interested in having the 100th iteration of the snipers/shotguns/AA debate, but I will say that going from Destiny to Halo 5 was seriously jarring. The lag was so much better so it felt like all my shots were fair, except the aim assist was so much less I couldn't hit shit for the most part, haha.

Hey I'm ready to log in if you and Rob are ready.

The AA has been generally the same throughout the lifespan of the game.

Based on what exactly? 1k stare has the highest AA ever, only beaten by the IB sniper as far as i know. I disagree with the rest of your post but i think i have seen this discussion by you before and its clearly useless to debate those points.

E92 M3

Did you change your controls? The default deadzones are horrible.

Based on what exactly? 1k stare has the highest AA ever, only beaten by the IB sniper as far as i know. I disagree with the rest of your post but i think i have seen this discussion before and its clearly useless to debate those points.

Yes, it's useless to debate because Bungie doesn't even care. That said, it still bugs me to read about AA when it's not even a huge factor for the common public.

Nothing beats shotguns up close. And quite a good amount of people who try to snipe me miss and sometimes I just stand there. From what I noticed the snipes that kill me are like 99% stares and 1% being Defiance. I don't think I've ever been killed by any other rifles. Which leads me to believe that AA is a huge factor.

There is certainly a causal relationship there but not the one you are suggesting.

Trakan

Simply put, it's more psychological than factual. Destiny is a casual shooter and the AA is fine for the environment.

I have to question if you value game balance at all. That sort of hand holding is not necessary. These snipers feel like they have more aim assist than Halo 2, which was crazy back in the day. The thing about H2 though, was that the sniper rifle was a power weapon that one person picked up a couple times per game. Here you have 6 potential people spawning in with ammo for a crazy powerful one hit kill weapon. Not only that, but ammo spawns in often enough to use it throughout the entire game.

Do you see a problem yet?

I remember back in the COD4/MW2 days feeling like they had high aim assist. Now playing BO3 after Destiny, it feels like aim assist isn't even there, lol.

Yes, it's useless to debate because Bungie doesn't even care. That said, it still bugs me to read about AA when it's not even a huge factor for the common public.

No i mean its useless because i remember you discussing this before and there's nothing more to be said other than i disagree. Drizzay does too and as he said the lack of AA in Halo 5 is apparent when switching from Destiny. You say AA is not a huge factor, i couldn't disagree more. That's all :)

E92 M3

I have to question if you value game balance at all. That sort of hand holding is not necessary. These snipers feel like they have more aim assist than Halo 2, which was crazy back in the day. The thing about H2 though, was that the sniper rifle was a power weapon that one person picked up a couple times per game. Here you have 6 potential people spawning in with ammo for a crazy powerful one hit kill weapon. Not only that, but ammo spawns in often enough to use it throughout the entire game.

Do you see a problem yet?

I absolutely value game balance and actually trying to get Champion in FFA for Halo 5 (one of the best balanced shooters out). In terms of Destiny, it's nothing but anecdotal evidence. You say these snipers are heaven's gift to players, but I say I get killed by snipers 2 or 3 times a game in average - most players aren't that good. Secondly, Bungie also says that the average K/D is only 1.0 with the 1k.

And I said before, Destiny isn't a super competitive game that's supposed be balanced to the core and I don't want Destiny to be like that. The crucible is the most boring state yet due to all of "the balance changes."

I'd love to be convinced that snipers are out of the control, but all I am seeing is the "flavor of the month complaining." We had Thorn, fusion rifles, TLW, shotguns, ARs, and more. All were nerfed and complained about in one or another. If Bungie nerfs snipers, people will just complain about something else.

No i mean its useless because i remember you discussing this before and there's nothing more to be said other than i disagree. Drizzay does too and as he said the lack of AA in Halo 5 is apparent when switching from Destiny. You say AA is not a huge factor, i couldn't disagree more. That's all :)

I play Halo 5 a lot recently and switch to Destiny. Destiny is an easier game, but that doesn't make it bad. It's just not super competitive, which is okay. We don't need big e-peen, e-sports everywhere.

Also, I love arguing unpopular positions. Questioning everything is my personality ;)

Lol wow 5 players in a zone taken comes in and they all fucking stare at it. This has happened numerous times as well. PS4 players all maul shit and help.....so far all xbox one pugs are fucking garbage and selfish ass holes.

I've had many games on Xbox where my supposed team were playing as if it was clash and not control.
Joined a game where the other team had all zones and watched as my team just ran past zones looking for kills.

Infuriating when you know you can win the match if the team did the objectives.

I absolutely value game balance and actually trying to get Champion in FFA for Halo 5 (one of the best balanced shooters out). In terms of Destiny, it's nothing but anecdotal evidence. You say these snipers are heaven's gift to players, but I say I get killed by snipers 2 or 3 times a game in average - most players aren't that good. Secondly, Bungie also says that the average K/D is only 1.0 with the 1k.

And I said before, Destiny isn't a super competitive game that's supposed be balanced to the core and I don't want Destiny to be like that. The crucible is the most boring state yet due to all of "the balance changes."

I'd love to be convinced that snipers are out of the control, but all I am seeing is the "flavor of the month complaining." We had Thorn, fusion rifles, TLW, shotguns, ARs, and more. All were nerfed and complained about in one or another. If Bungie nerfs snipers, people will just complain about something else.
Calling it now it will be burn grenades.

lt519

That's kinda mean

It's actually the opposite of what you are thinking. Playing with GAF you get a lot less kills because they are so much better. Pretty common theme if you ask a lot of us bad to average players, playing with GAF nets you a lower K/D :)

You also face a lot more teams that are grouped so the competition is better!

Tri4

It's actually the opposite of what you are thinking. Playing with GAF you get a lot less kills because they are so much better. Pretty common theme if you ask a lot of us bad to average players, playing with GAF nets you a lower K/D :)

You also face a lot more teams that are grouped so the competition is better!
Fair enough, lol

still hurt

Trakan

I play Halo 5 a lot recently and switch to Destiny. Destiny is an easier game, but that doesn't make it bad. It's just not super competitive, which is okay. We don't need big e-peen, e-sports everywhere.

Also, I love arguing unpopular positions. Questioning everything is my personality ;)

Balanced does not equal competitive. I honestly could not care less about MLG or Destiny being a competitive game, I just want a fun time in the crucible. That's not possible right now with the amount of times I get domed by an OP sniper rifle.

How long can people complain about something before it's not "flavor of the month" anymore? I've been bitching about sniper rifles since 2.0, which was pre-TTK. I also have never really seen "flavor of the month" style complaining on anything but broken ass weapons. Mainly shotguns, which are still OP many nerfs later, and snipers. There was Thorn/TLW, but those were completely valid and deserved the nerfs. I don't really get how the balances like these have made the game boring to you.

Here's an unpopular opinion for you, fusion rifles are where they need to be for PVP currently. They're still capable of killing from absolutely ridiculous ranges and people want them buffed. I was killed by the raid fusion, which is considered to be bottom tier, from across the map. They have no idea what they're doing when it comes to balancing them.

LifEndz

GAF preys on the weak, I need the weak to boost my stats :)

Woah game just completely crashed..

That being said, anyone down to start a train?

So you can't buy class items anymore? Lame..

Down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

PSN Lifendz

Give me like five minutes

Edit: I'm ready.

E92 M3

Balanced does not equal competitive. I honestly could not care less about MLG or Destiny being a competitive game, I just want a fun time in the crucible. That's not possible right now with the amount of times I get domed by an OP sniper rifle.

How long can people complain about something before it's not "flavor of the month" anymore? I've been bitching about sniper rifles since 2.0, which was pre-TTK. I also have never really seen "flavor of the month" style complaining on anything but broken ass weapons. Mainly shotguns, which are still OP many nerfs later, and snipers. There was Thorn/TLW, but those were completely valid and deserved the nerfs. I don't really get how the balances like these have made the game boring to you.

Here's an unpopular opinion for you, fusion rifles are where they need to be for PVP currently. They're still capable of killing from absolutely ridiculous ranges and people want them buffed. I was killed by the raid fusion, which is considered to be bottom tier, from across the map. They have no idea what they're doing when it comes to balancing them.

It all comes down to anecdotal evidence. I barely get killed by snipers at all. Right now it's all MIDA and shotties. Haven't been killed by a fusion in weeks. House of Wolves crucible was a lot more fun than it is now, and that's my opinion.

This argument is beating a dead horse anyways. I'll just learn to agree to disagree.

Magik

Add sway to all snipers and reduce the fire rate for the 1k stare and snipers will be in a good spot.

Right now the 1k stands above all as it has good fire rate as well as high AA.

todd360

Add sway to all snipers and reduce the fire rate for the 1k stare and snipers will be in a good spot.

Right now the 1k stands above all as it has good fire rate as well as high AA.

Got killed by 1k earlier while shooting dude with iron banner heavy machine gun...

Top Bottom