• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Deku Tree

In all seriousness. Can someone explain to me how a playerbase knowing about matchmaking tweeking would impact the statistical data?

Like, Lars said he needed unbiased data, but how would anything change if we knew?

What data would have been tainted here?

Shhh. Look at the purple ball in the tower. It's so kawaii right?

phen0m24

They said they recreated mid town Manhattan 1:1.

I'll play it just to see that. And the guns. And hopefully hearing Frenden jokes. And Fig swearing.

:p

Taken King had plenty of content. I got my money's worth.

Instead, can you please, please retool things. Fix King's Fall loot drops. Double drop rates. Put Iron Banner on a fixed schedule. Make some Year 1 strikes be the Nightfall. Don't even update them. Just use content there. Reward players.

I said the same earlier, I'd be fine with how things are if they constantly updated/tweaked the current game. I'm baffled how anyone at Bungie can think it's good what they're doing

Shhh. Look at the purple ball in the tower. It's so kawaii right?
I'm actually more pissed about that than anything else from the update.

We have yet another instance of Bungie flat out lying to it's playerbase, and only coming out with the Truth because the community was super persistent on it.

Shit's gotten way past old.

E92 M3

I don't understand why Destiny, a game with 0 ranked playlists, needs skill based matchmaking.

Even Treyarch dropped that shit in under 24 hours in BO3 due to user backlash.

Because some people complained on reddit about having to carry a team for one game. Like you said, Destiny does not have any ranked playlist and Trials is good enough for sweaty games. There wasn't a need for it to be in every crucible match.

Raven117

THAT SAID, I've never been able to mentally get into games that much. I'm always aware I'm playing a game. I may get tense or sweaty hands or something, but I just can't get immersed in a game

unless it's spooky

and then I just don't play it

Yeah, I don't have much of a problem with this either.

nowai

I genuinely do not mean this as an insult or anything, but this sort of cognitive dissonance fascinates me.

I GET it, I just think it's amazing. Shooting demonic looking ALIENS on a gazillion-mile long spaceship near Saturn your brain is OK with. But when hoodied thug doesn't go down in a few shots from an MP5 your brain is like "hold up". Interesting stuff.]

haha ya man, I don't know what to tell you. It just feels really odd to pump a ton of rounds into a human and have them keep on chugging.

Just like in a movie, I can suspend disbelief for so many things, but as soon as a character starts to "hack" a computer terminal, I am instantly brought out of it.

Theorry

Glad i was right. You cant fool me. Bungo.

I am really sure now there is skill based matchmaking. Reason also i think the connections are extra bad now because the matchmaking doesnt focus enough on conntection.
I mean with a group i play who all play alot we have everytime some close matches. Last night i played with people who were very low light level and dont play alot of Crucible and the enemies i came across were super bad. Lot of killstreaks 4 or 5 mercy's Ones those low light level guys left and some other guys came onine the matches were instant more close again.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Yeah watched a bit of a video just now and the player had to pump half a dozen rounds of smg rounds into an unarmored dude 2 feet from him. I don't like bullet sponges at all in any context but like you said I can explain it away a lot better with Destiny when the enemies are aliens as opposed to the Division where it's people.
I agree with you in regards to the current footage of enemies with armoured stats but not armoured character models being bullet-sponges, that can be rectified by altering the models to make them look more protected.

From what I've gleamed from checking out the Division over the last week (game was waaaaay off my radar) Massive has said that this game is an RPG first and foremost, and as such we're going to see some RPG tropes in it, such as high armour/shield-stat enemy types that will soak up damage.

They do need to be better presented as such though, I agree.

Only need the first 3 panels because they show the Xbone version

reverse savage? double savage?
Maybe it's a comment in the meta situation, since the Division has an exclusive marketing deal with Xbox and Destiny has one with PlayStation.
Or it was just the first boxart they found...

Also, what's this "blowout prevention" I've long suspected a switch is thrown when my team is in a supposedly unassailable lead and the other team become gods and romp to victory

Because some people complained on reddit about having to carry a team for one game. Like you said, Destiny does not have any ranked playlist and Trials is good enough for sweaty games. There wasn't a need for it to be in every crucible match.

Why are people such bitches about this? I swear the people who want SBMM removed are good players who just want to pub stomp. As a lesser player I'd much rather play people closer to my skill level than get just stomped on.

If the rumor is true about no full game this year, do they release some of the stuff High Moon has been working on as some sort of between HoW and TTK sized expansion? I'm talking about the Mars social space and that other raid rumors.

Times have been tough and will be tough, but I thought they could get it back with the launch of whatever was coming in September, especially if it was labeled Destiny 2. I figured they could bridge some of the lack of content between now and then with an announcement and drip feeding info about the sequel, but man. It's looking grim if they need to make it to Spring of next year or, God help them, September 2017.

Why are people such bitches about this? I swear the people who want SBMM removed are good players who just want to pub stomp. As a lesser player I'd much rather play people closer to my skill level than get just stomped on.

Because skill-based weighting seems to out-weight connection quality, so you end up with shit like this happening more often: https://twitter.com/mangosango/status/689307914805248003

If they can find a way to get close matches without pairing you up with people halfway across the globe I'm down.

Edit: I can't fucking type on my phone kill me

The logic is that no one enjoys a laggy game. Winners, losers, it doesn't matter. You don't have fun when you lag because when you get a kill you don't feel like it was due to your skill, and when you die, you feel like you didn't have the proper chance to react.

So by removing SBMM, or rather promoting LBMM, you're at least letting some of the population enjoy themselves.

Because skill-based weighting seems to out_weight connection quality, so you end up with shit like this happening more often: https://twitter.com/mangosango/status/689307914805248003

If they can find a way to get close matches without pairing you up with people halfway across the globe I'm down.

This was happening before. They do mention they're working on making that portion better as well. I look forward to it if only because it'll stop the whining I hear about.

ocean

Banned

We have yet another instance of Bungie flat out lying to it's playerbase, and only coming out with the Truth because the community was super persistent on it.

I mean maybe they thought detailing how the skill algorithm works in matchmaking would lead people to alter their gaming habits to game the system (like throwing a bunch of matches going AFK in private to cut combat rating and then be matched against scrubs who you can murder when you turn your stream on or something).

I highly doubt anyone would do this, and I don't even know if it would work (don't know how sticky your combat rating is - last few matches, full history, combination?) but is perhaps what they meant by wanting unbiased data.

Whatever their thought process, they were dumb enough to think there's *anything* more important than lobby ping when there isn't. Match the best 12 connections you can find, period. Best ping first and foremost. Then *within* that lobby you can split teams up fairly.

Given how often they pull players in from other continents to play with you, it would seem like they're weighing skill above connection. Biggest problem the game has, which is a lot to say.

stay gold

Because it's laggy as fuck.

I'd rather get stomped fairly by better players now and again than constantly play people on a similar level who take no damage and move like a taken thrall.

Highwind

Iron Banner Rift??????

TL7VQdE.jpg

But they said they are going to be more transparent from now on.

Have i ever told you the definition of insanity?

ocean

Banned
Matches being sweaty is a good thing. But the cost of that is lag, which means it isn't worth it at all. I'd rather pubstomp or get raped in a fair (low latency) match than have a curated 1.0 K/D 50% wins full-balance environment where every match was a piece of shit because of lag - which is where we are now.

EL CUCO

In all seriousness. Can someone explain to me how a playerbase knowing about matchmaking tweeking would impact the statistical data?

Like, Lars said he needed unbiased data, but how would anything change if we knew?

What data would have been tainted here?
Sometimes I swear we aren't even playing Destiny. Destiny (Bungie) is playing us.

This is what I don't get...

Why in the fuck can't they just tell us what crimson doubles is now? Godamn bungie. Your shit is too fucking cryptic. Just fucking tell us what the fuck is happening.

/rant

But they said they are going to be more transparent from now on.

Have i ever told you the definition of insanity?

At this point I just really want Luke, Urk, and ever Mark to just give me some solid substantial information about the future. I don't need a play by play, but an outline sure would be nice. They have to know how frustrated we are, I'm sure they're frustrated to. I'm sure they know things that they'd like to share with us that they can't.

I'm just tired of Deej's pet thesaurus, and Lars has really made my shit list with his crap as of late.

It just doesn't feel like anyone is actually on our side anymore.

Why in the fuck can't they just tell us what crimson doubles is now? Godamn bungie. Your shit is too fucking cryptic. Just fucking tell us what the fuck is happening.

/rant

Because then Deej wouldn't get to use as many adjectives...

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Just watch... They're going to make Asylum the ToO map next weekend in an attempt to keep me from playing The Division beta. They know we all want it.

...going to be really annoyed if this prediction comes true. I've been longing for Trials on Asylum. Ugh.

ACR0019

Eh, BWU was disappointing, but I'd love to see this community spearhead some crazy movement to get more newbies through the raid or just something that we take ownership of since so many want to keep playing the game. IDK, whatever.

1 or 2 spots for HM Daughters and Oryx starting ASAP. Just finished a run, going to do one or two more assuming we can fill out the group.

Edit: full now

Every update, every reset, the message I get loud and clear about Destiny is

I care more about this game than the game or Bungie wants me to.

Bungie, so you really want Destiny to be a hobby? And enduring social experience?

Then please, please care about the game where we're at now. Bungie is signalling again and again that this game as it is now should only be played casually.

Bungie has set to Year 2 to coast. There are things they want to fix I'm sure, but they don't make the cut. And that's fine if they kept tweaking things, helping players. But it's only events going forward.

I agree with you in regards to the current footage of enemies with armoured stats but not armoured character models being bullet-sponges, that can be rectified by altering the models to make them look more protected.

From what I've gleamed from checking out the Division over the last week (game was waaaaay off my radar) Massive has said that this game is an RPG first and foremost, and as such we're going to see some RPG tropes in it, such as high armour/shield-stat enemy types that will soak up damage.

They do need to be better presented as such though, I agree.

If the RPG skills and whatnot are good for dealing damage it might be fine. It's hard to judge too given that I don't know a lot of the factors involved like player level, enemy level, scaling, weapon damage, etc. I just fear that if enemies are too spongy it won't do much to encourage trying to flank within cover and instead you'll just be hiding and waiting for cooldowns so you can use abilities.

/rant

Yea I don't know who told them that would be best for their players. I feel so bad for youtubers who have to start playing other games since Bungie won't give them news

Where's Ghaleon... I'm curious what his opinion is of the BWU. He usually has some good perspective.

Plus, I've enjoyed watching him get more and more frustrated at Deej's writing style.

ocean

Banned
1 or 2 spots for HM Daughters and Oryx starting ASAP. Just finished a run, going to do one or two more assuming we can fill out the group.
I'd love to see you stream a 2-3 man Oryx kill. I know you're way past the skill required to solo Oryx but it's a matter of luck and having crazy patience for the planets (ammo and pathfinding) to align for that to happen so it isn't worth the hassle.

Doctor this patient is dying, save us!

Rift Iron Banner?

Well, at least now my team can ignore just one objective rather than three.

I always assumed Control was the Iron Banner mode because it was the friendliest mode to all players. It's really just Clash with a points modifier mechanic attached to it so you can play the objective or simply treat it as if it were clash. Either way you're earning points for the team. We can argue all day about the proper way to play Control but at the end of the day, for a lot of casual players that's all it is.

Rift on the other hand is going to be interesting. I feel like Rift is only satisfying if you have a team and are truly playing the objective. I can understand the salt about this game mode being IB this time around.

Daemul

Iron Banner Rift???!!!

9T1kgIr.gif

Rift cannot be an IB mode when Bungie don't currently split fireteams up from randoms. There's going to be so many mercies.

Damn, that BWU was lame. Slightly interested in what this Valentines event is however I am out of town the entire event anyway. Also rather disappointing the only new content announced is a week long event, how the fuck will that keep us going?

IB Rift sounds fun, however not a week of it. It should be a mixture of Control/Clash/Rift IMO. I will likely sit this one out . Other games to play at the moment, more enjoyable then getting more 280 armour and a shitty 310 ghost I don't need.

Division hype train looking even better right now.

E92 M3

No one is being a bitch about it. Lag is horrible and completely not fun.

Matches being sweaty is a good thing. But the cost of that is lag, which means it isn't worth it at all. I'd rather pubstomp or get raped in a fair (low latency) match than have a curated 1.0 K/D 50% wins full-balance environment where every match was a piece of shit because of lag - which is where we are now.

I know I am not the only one to think this, but it's not inherently fun to have every game be so perfectly balanced. That's exactly the reason Treyarch removed it from BO3. Just becomes tiring to always have to try every match.

Crucible (not Trials) has always been my relaxing shooter. Now it's serious business and I can barely find people in Rumble lol.

What I will never forget is Bungie taking 5 months to patch the Heavy Ammo glitch. And it wasn't because they cared. It was because we wouldn't shut up.

Or when they finally fixed weapons parts, DeeJ snarked that it wasn't a big deal because his Boss has tons of them.

Bungie's lack of empathy to player concerns is staggering. I wish Bungie was proactive. I wish they did more than listen.

Coming back to start the Year with we lied about Matchmaking & don't expect any big changes for months is a real letdown. A punch in the gut.

And yes, I'm sure Ghaleon is going to take us all to task, but it's frustrating to care about something when it feels the other party doesn't.

Crimson Doubles should be called Unrequited Love.

Lol

@tripleWRECK: Hey at least you'll all be able to share the misery playing Valentines Doubles with your significant other thanks to Skill-Based Matchmaking

literally everyone is ragging on them now

Top Bottom