• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Dave_6

Anyone up for a few NFs/Imago Loop farming here in a few mins? Still need to run one on my Titan but will run however many as I'm still looking for that Outlaw + Firefly drop.

Screenshot-Original.png

I don't get how people don't know how to get revived in skirmish. I start trying to revive them everytime and they respawn. Hard to carry when people don't know how to wait 2 seconds for revive.

Frenden

Banned
Have I mentioned today how much I love the Graviton paired with the Void Flayer Mantle?

CXG6yzqVAAMTin6.jpg:large

Also, I want to marry this 1000YS drop. Shortgaze and Quickdraw. Best one I've gotten so far. (I still miss my rolled Her Benevolence, but this will do.)

CXMdf69UEAAVH4U.jpg:large

Ghazi

Nah, not soon but I'd imagine new classes/subclasses will be a big selling point for Destiny 2 next year.
Possibly.
Also, I want to marry this 1000YS drop. Shortgaze and Quickdraw. Best one I've gotten so far. (I still miss my rolled Her Benevolence, but this will do.)

CXMdf69UEAAVH4U.jpg:large
I have a 1KYS with Shortgaze/Hidden Hand/Snapshot or Perfect Balance/Life Support and I've gotten so much use out of it. That's the only thing that makes up for the fact that I have gotten zero Hawksaws for as much as I played the game.

The1Ski

If a new player is going to be playing Destiny now and picks up the Taken King versions that includes all parts of the game what should they do with the character boost?

Considering that a big part of Taken King was them focusing more on the story and how it was presented and how that was one of the worst parts of Destiny 1.0 I'm left not knowing what to do if I pick up the game on the PS4.

Is there any problem with boosting right away and going into the Taken King story in order to actually get a good story and presentation? Does the game take into account some players will do this and not bothered with the old content? Is there a recap or tutorial available?

Or does the game and Bungie still assume people will wad through the old content? Having to look at a website for story content is just unacceptable. I'm only considering this now because the game is on sale and half the price of a new copy.

I'm in the same boat. I played through vanilla and hit the wall, interest-wise. Now I'm about to have more content than I can easily get into.

Any tips? What is the recommended use of the level boost.

amnesiac

I just bought The Taken King Legendary Edition (which comes with all the expansions) and I don't know where to start. I've been doing low level story missions (I'm on level 4), but I've read that doing the base game at this point is pointless and I can jump straight to Level 25 if I want to. What is a recommended starting point for a new user who has all the expansions? Thanks

edit: pretty much the same thing as above

I just bought The Taken King Legendary Edition (which comes with all the expansions) and I don't know where to start. I've been doing low level story missions (I'm on level 4), but I've read that doing the base game at this point is pointless and I can jump straight to Level 25 if I want to. What is a recommended starting point for a new user who has all the expansions? Thanks

edit: pretty much the same thing as above

Look at all the subclasses/classes and see which one interests you the most. If you do use the 25 boost, then you can start doing the Taken King missions I believe and doing strikes(Dungeons) and pvp. You could level up in everything you do, so it's up to you how you want to approach the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If a new player is going to be playing Destiny now and picks up the Taken King versions that includes all parts of the game what should they do with the character boost?

Considering that a big part of Taken King was them focusing more on the story and how it was presented and how that was one of the worst parts of Destiny 1.0 I'm left not knowing what to do if I pick up the game on the PS4.

Is there any problem with boosting right away and going into the Taken King story in order to actually get a good story and presentation? Does the game take into account some players will do this and not bothered with the old content? Is there a recap or tutorial available?

Or does the game and Bungie still assume people will wad through the old content? Having to look at a website for story content is just unacceptable. I'm only considering this now because the game is on sale and half the price of a new copy.
As someone who just got the game a couple days ago, my 25-boosted character just reached 40. Part of that is due to racing giving you so much XP, but really you level up hella fast anyways. I leveled up and got a lot of money just from dicking around with patrols.

Just from my cursory view, it seems that Taken King is a side story to the main plot. You really have to think of it as an MMO because it most definitely is. There is the main plotline, the Taken King plotline, expansion pack arcs and faction arcs. I didn't become a god or anything, so it seems the game has dynamic leveling. I don't know how it works really but even as a level 25 I played with level 40s and it seemed pretty well balanced between us? Maybe it is some kind of handicap system? I don't know, but it's fucking brilliant for random matchmaking partners on missions.

The overall feel of the game isn't really deeply plot-driven. It's there, and it will be the first thing you experience, but after a couple days I already have this "Guardians vs endless onslaught of darkness" vibe. There is just always some story mission, faction mission, strike, raid, etc. They are all there to choose from freely. There are some you'll want to be at a certain gear/abilities level (an aggregate called "light") to play, but there is not really any fear of out-leveling something so it isn't compelling anymore.

IMO this is actually the perfect way to do it. Some people who complained were probably all hyped on it being from Bungie and expecting another Halo. It's really at heart a casual nonlinear FPS MMO with a really great quick matchmaking service. So far my biggest complaint is them locking some cool shit behind PVP like the Osiris gear. If I wanted to PVP I would have gotten Halo 5.

Lnkn52

Got a Frame today for my TTK poster. Mad that it had sticky stuff so it ripped the poster, and missing 2 hold down thingies on the back so it's not perfectly flat. Lesson learned.

But have to live with it how it is:
I love it. Still haven't found art in the style that I like to put above the desk.

reKon

Banned
Hey, I've just learned about Xur. I have 66 strange coin and my highest weapon is currently an
Legendary auto rifle that I've upgraded to 218 attack. Should I buy that scout and helmet for my warlock?

Does he sell better stuff usually? He's selling the Ram as the helmet and midas multi-tool as the scout rifle (I like scouts)

Should I keep the auto rifle still or level it to make and dismantle it for marks??

Lima

God damn is Trials sweaty this week on Xbox. Also been playing a lot against the same people tonight. Seems like the PvP part on Xbox is dying down fast.

Fucking crazy. We've matched with this one group 8 times throughout the evening lol.

Frenden

Banned
I have a 308 Queen's cloak that looks great with the Graviton too. I got it from Petra rank ups and have been infusing it. I just need a few more SRL races to knock it up a couple of light levels.

Dice

Oh, I do have one small criticism of the game. You should be able to fill up your ammo at the tower. The special/heavy ammo crate items are a bit pricey and it makes sense as a field use item, but if you're not in the field, at the freaking resistance base, you should be able to fill up ammo cheap. I don't really like finishing up a big boss mission having all my special/heavy ammo expended and being limited to scrounging off dead enemies if I want to start another big mission right there.

Hey, I've just learned about Xur. I have 66 strange coin and my highest weapon is currently an
Legendary auto rifle that I've upgraded to 218 attack. Should I buy that scout and helmet for my warlock?

Does he sell better stuff usually? He's selling the Ram as the helmet and midas multi-tool as the scout rifle (I like scouts)

Should I keep the auto rifle still or level it to make and dismantle it for marks??

Buy the Mida and Ram for sure.

MIDA is one of the best primaries and the best exotic scout in the game. It is good for both pve and pvp.

THE RAM is arguably the best Warlock helm for pvp paired with Sunsinger class.

reKon

Banned
Buy the Mida and Ram for sure.

MIDA is one of the best primaries and the best exotic scout in the game. It is good for both pve and pvp.

THE RAM is arguably the best Warlock helm for pvp paired with Sunsinger class.

Bruh...

I'm going in then.

How doesn't everyone have the best equips then?

I felt like thus was too easy. I just 40 for the first time. Are strange coins hard to get? Isn't everyone eventually going to have gear with the same stats?

E92 M3

God damn is Trials sweaty this week on Xbox. Also been playing a lot against the same people tonight. Seems like the PvP part on Xbox is dying down fast.

Fucking crazy. We've matched with this one group 8 times throughout the evening lol.

Wow really, that's kinda nuts. Sad to see, but hopefully it's just SRL.

Dice

Wow really, that's kinda nuts. Sad to see, but hopefully it's just SRL.
More-likely:
-Portion of the fanbase usually plays at their dorm, went home for school break.
-Visiting family for Christmas, left Xbone at home.
-Temporary distraction of new games received for Christmas.
-End-of-year lull awaiting new shit to come out.

Probably a typical annual challenge for devs/publishers to keep people on their game.

v1perz53

Bah I hate that when you inspect vendor robes on a warlock it only shows the top half not a full body shot. Makes it much harder to find my optimal fashion set on my warlock!

Magik

Destiny PvP is not in a good place at the moment. It's a combination of a ton of new games coming out, holidays, and Destiny fatigue.

While I don't play on Xbox I've noticed on the PS4 side quite a few modes have very low populations to the point where it takes upwards of 5 minutes for me to get a game going in modes such as Salvage.

At the end of the day, there's no reason outside of Trials to play PvP at the moment for Destiny.

Bruh...

I'm going in then.

How doesn't everyone have the best equips then?

I felt like thus was too easy. I just 40 for the first time. Are strange coins hard to get? Isn't everyone eventually going to have gear with the same stats?

For PvP, Scout depends a bit on class. For a Sunsinger Warlock, Tlaloc is better. For PvE, Hung Jury is better.

But for a Hunter, I always liked the MIDA. If you ever do Crota, you can also the stage with that gun and Dont Touch me.

Top Bottom