• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

So I've built my excel sheet that shows all the Reused versus Repurposed content.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WgEcUQo01QiAiO9y6DvGlrjv9k5uNtTb6BdGQ1Kb2ts/edit?usp=sharing

Example image:
FEXa2nE.png

Quick Legend:
  • Green = Mission
  • Blue = Strikes
  • Purple = Raids

Yellow = Basically trash. These zones are just there for filler and nothing else. Nothing about traversing them is necessary to the mission itself. The best argument you could offer in their favor is they may help with pacing.

Orange = These areas of the missions either have you interact with something, or put you in a situation where you must fight to continue.

Red = Incredibly unique parts of the game. Either involving new vehicles, Unique boss fights, Unique areas, Unique geometry. Basically shit that makes you go wow.

You'll notice most yellow zones are spawn zones, because Bungie wants you to travel the planet a bit to get yourself familiar. You'll notice they stopped doing this after the Vanilla, and started favoring dropping you into the good shit.

Whats interesting to me is there is one perfect example of reverse repurposed geometry. Namely, the first time you ever see the Divide, it is absolutely amazing. You come through the Breach, and a Fallen Ketch jumps into the sky, knocking over all those rockets in the distance of the skybox. It looks gorgeous. Yet the Divide becomes basically useless after this first moment, and is only used for padding in every other example. Bungie would have been better off making you start the Devil's Lair strike in the Divide, shown that Ketch jump in, and then chase the Skiffs that are coming off of it.

Something else I noticed is Strikes have gotten shorter in General. In Vanilla they were averaging traversal over 4-5 zones.

In TTK they're closer to 3-4.

I split the Black Garden into 3 areas because the game doesn't give us zones when we're in there. We're just told "Meridian Bay"

Thus, I broke in apart to the Entrance, Heart, and Annex. Basically, the first half of the Black Garden, the back half, and the area that is unique to the Undying Mind strike.

Overall, the Moon seems to be the most boring destination in Destiny. It has the most repeated zone progression, as well as the most zones that are there for padding.

Venus has the most boring mission beginnings. As most of them start in the Headlands. A zone that has virtually nothing in it. Mars is guilty of having a similar zone, The Drift, but it's in between two active zones, and the game only requires you to pass through it once.

Dreadnaught gives you the most bang for you buck. It's definitely jam packed with stuff to do in every mission. Considering it's roughly the same size as the moon, this is impressive.

I left out the Prison of Elders, because it's a very unique setup. It isn't broken apart into zones, and while the geometry is the same no matter what, the encounters can range from boring to intense depending on the bosses/mini-bosses or even the modifiers.

Ryan_

hey guys,
one more question

If I have the vanilla disc version of Destiny, am I good to go buy just buying the PSN bundle of TTK and both the DLC's? Cant really find an answer to that question and I want to be sure.

cheers

hey guys,
one more question

If I have the vanilla disc version of Destiny, am I good to go buy just buying the PSN bundle of TTK and both the DLC's? Cant really find an answer to that question and I want to be sure.

cheers

Not worth it. the price of the DLCs are messed up.

Cheapest way is to buy the legendary edition of TTK that includes Vanilla and both DLCs.

Digital or in-store, either way.

PoorOneOut.GIF

I was using TLW last night during IB for a Shaxx Bounty. I hit the jackpot on one guy. I hit back to back crit shots on him for 100! My LL was high enough and his was low enough. It was glorious.

Edit: I saved the video too :3
You sure that had to do with light level? That's sounds like appropriate damage for a hipfire headshot. Unless you weren't hip firing.

darthbob

So I've built my excel sheet that shows all the Reused versus Repurposed content.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WgEcUQo01QiAiO9y6DvGlrjv9k5uNtTb6BdGQ1Kb2ts/edit?usp=sharing

Example image:

Quick Legend:
  • Green = Mission
  • Blue = Strikes
  • Purple = Raids

Yellow = Basically trash. These zones are just there for filler and nothing else. Nothing about traversing them is necessary to the mission itself. The best argument you could offer in their favor is they may help with pacing.

Orange = These areas of the missions either have you interact with something, or put you in a situation where you must fight to continue.

Red = Incredibly unique parts of the game. Either involving new vehicles, Unique boss fights, Unique areas, Unique geometry. Basically shit that makes you go wow.

You'll notice most yellow zones are spawn zones, because Bungie wants you to travel the planet a bit to get yourself familiar. You'll notice they stopped doing this after the Vanilla, and started favoring dropping you into the good shit.

Whats interesting to me is there is one perfect example of reverse repurposed geometry. Namely, the first time you ever see the Divide, it is absolutely amazing. You come through the Breach, and a Fallen Ketch jumps into the sky, knocking over all those rockets in the distance of the skybox. It looks gorgeous. Yet the Divide becomes basically useless after this first moment, and is only used for padding in every other example. Bungie would have been better off making you start the Devil's Lair strike in the Divide, shown that Ketch jump in, and then chase the Skiffs that are coming off of it.

Something else I noticed is Strikes have gotten shorter in General. In Vanilla they were averaging traversal over 4-5 zones.

In TTK they're closer to 3-4.

I split the Black Garden into 3 areas because the game doesn't give us zones when we're in there. We're just told "Meridian Bay"

Thus, I broke in apart to the Entrance, Heart, and Annex. Basically, the first half of the Black Garden, the back half, and the area that is unique to the Undying Mind strike.

Overall, the Moon seems to be the most boring destination in Destiny. It has the most repeated zone progression, as well as the most zones that are there for padding.

Venus has the most boring mission beginnings. As most of them start in the Headlands. A zone that has virtually nothing in it. Mars is guilty of having a similar zone, The Drift, but it's in between two active zones, and the game only requires you to pass through it once.

Dreadnaught gives you the most bang for you buck. It's definitely jam packed with stuff to do in every mission. Considering it's roughly the same size as the moon, this is impressive.

I left out the Prison of Elders, because it's a very unique setup. It isn't broken apart into zones, and while the geometry is the same no matter what, the encounters can range from boring to intense depending on the bosses/mini-bosses or even the modifiers.

Data is beautiful.

Ryan_

Not worth it. the price of the DLCs are messed up.

Cheapest way is to buy the legendary edition of TTK that includes Vanilla and both DLCs.

Digital or in-store, either way.

Thanks for the heads up

From what I gathered now, the legendary edition is 70 euro on PSN en 45 in store.

Taken king with the DLC and without vanilla is 40 on PSN, which would make it marginally cheaper.

Unless I'm overlooking something?

Thanks for the heads up

From what I gathered now, the legendary edition is 70 euro on PSN en 45 in store.

Taken king with the DLC and without vanilla is 40 on PSN, which would make it marginally cheaper.

Unless I'm overlooking something?

There is no such thing as Taken King with the 2 DLCs and without Vanilla.

If you find Taken king with the 2 DLCs, it also has the Vanilla game.

SpecX

Boots again for 5 wins? I was hoping for the guanlet to drop this week. Anyone carrying tonight? I promise I will try not to suck badly.

Namikaze1

Just 3 more wins/ 5 more matches to complete the last weekly bounty.

And yeah, I'll be up for an Iron Banner run later, Ape. Maybe we can actually do that Stormcaller Only Train today.

ocean

Banned
I was talking about this offer on PSN

Someone else will have to help you. Whatever this is, is blocked by my work filter. :(
Doesn't work for me either.

At any rate, you can buy Taken King as a standalone for US$40 (requires you to own the previous two expansions) or just buy the Legendary Edition which includes everything and is probably cheaper anyways.

It's frequently US$30-40 on Amazon.

Ryan_

Doesn't work for me either.

At any rate, you can buy Taken King as a standalone for US$40 (requires you to own the previous two expansions) or just buy the Legendary Edition which includes everything and is probably cheaper anyways.

It's frequently US$30-40 on Amazon.

But is it possible that taken king itself also includes the DLC now? That it got updated? Because thats what it says here. Or I really am looking in the wrong place.

Maybe Ill check amazon first

EDIT: Even on amazon it now says that it includes the DLC (I clicked the UK PSN account edition)

ocean

Banned
But is it possible that taken king itself also includes the DLC now? That it got updated? Because thats what it says here. Or I really am looking in the wrong place.

EDIT: Even on amazon it now says that it includes the DLC (I clicked the UK PSN account edition)
What you're linking to on Amazon is the Legendary edition - which is what you should be looking for. It includes everything. The Legendary edition is also on sale digitally but is way more expensive.

Legendary is what you should buy, cheapest way to get all the DLC. You're technically buying vanilla again but whatever you're still saving money.

Your character progress is tied to your PSN account btw you won't lose anything by dropping your Vanilla version and buying this Legendary edition.

Namikaze1

Welp. Didn't see that some folks left.

We got two spots open on this train.

Edit: Jakfu, I was away from the ps4 so I didn't see folks leave. My bad.

WipedOut

When the taken king released it was made available for anyone who only owned just the vanilla game to get The Dark Below and The House of Wolves as part of the deal. So yes the $40 TTK DLC does in fact include TDB and HOW.

The Legendary Edition includes the Vanilla Game, TDB, HOW and TTK.

Just need to win 7 more games and I'll hit Rank 5 on my Warlock, need to grind away for a helmet first though.

chur

Only way you can buy Taken King by itself is if you already own the previous 2 DLC. Otherwise all other editions of TTK will include the previous 2 DLCs

Beautiful work, Kor. I would love to see this chart with fixed columns for locations, so that I could review it Vertically and see just how many times I've been through the Rocket Yard.

Lmao at that great post john :D

Thanks. This is the kinda stuff I do on my lunch break. From my stats, you totally carried by Titan ass to Mercury on Exodus Blue. So I've built my excel sheet that shows all the Reused versus Repurposed content.

[url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WgEcUQo01QiAiO9y6DvGlrjv9k5uNtTb6BdGQ1Kb2ts/edit?usp=sharing
[/QUOTE]

Beautiful work, Kor. I would love to see this chart with fixed columns, so that I could review it Vertically and see just how many times I've been through the Rocket Yard.

Lmao at that great post john :D

Thanks. This is the kinda stuff I do on my lunch break. It seems like Kor is a man after my own heart with those tables.

From my stats, you totally carried by Titan ass to Mercury on Exodus Blue. I'll be better next time.

Ryan_

Only way you can buy Taken King by itself is if you already own the previous 2 DLC. Otherwise all other editions of TTK will include the previous 2 DLCs

yea thats what I need, I only have vanilla Destiny atm

So I dont need the legendary edition after all

ocean

Banned
This is new. Just checked Taken King on PSN and it reads:

"Destiny: The Taken King, now also includes Expansion I and Expansion II for Destiny owners at one great price."

I never heard about this but it's a great move. It lets Vanilla owners buy all the DLC without spending a ton or rebuying vanilla.

Sorry about our earlier comments, I habe no clue when they did this. At TTK launch it didn't work this way at all. It's great news!

Jafku

The legendary edition is the best deal. It includes everything. Vanilla, TDB, HoW, and The Taken King. I f you have vanilla destiny physical you can just trade that in and get the legendary edition
edit: did not know about the above^

WipedOut

Same. The 1K AA Stare BS has really soured me on IB. Tempted to just feed all my primaries to get a 310+ MIDA.

I'll take those dedicated servers over lagswitching assholes.
I was being sarcastic because I genuinely was shocked that 343 redeemed themselves after MCC. But yes Halo 5 is lag free from what I've played of it.

NeOak

You do. There are only 2 editions of TTK: Stand alone for those who have TDB & HoW, and legendary/collectors for those who have only vanilla, only one of the two expansions or no game at all.

Edit: Ohhhh they changed it?

ocean

Banned

Ryan_

This is new. Just checked Taken King on PSN and it reads:

"Destiny: The Taken King, now also includes Expansion I and Expansion II for Destiny owners at one great price."

I never heard about this but it's a great move. It lets Vanilla owners buy all the DLC without spending a ton or rebuying vanilla.

Sorry about our earlier comments, I habe no clue when they did this. At TTK launch it didn't work this way at all. It's great news!

No problem, I was under the same impression, that's why I came here for help. Apparently, it's quite new then. Maybe Ill go and trade in what I have now for the vanilla disc but Im not sure if its even worth the hassle of going to a game store. I might just buy that package.

Beautiful work, Kor. I would love to see this chart with fixed columns for locations, so that I could review it Vertically and see just how many times I've been through the Rocket Yard.

I tried putting each Destination into a Pie chart to tally up how much time you spend in each zone but they weren't coming out right, they kept omitting the smaller zones for some reason.

Of course, naturally, you spend the most time in the Steppes, Archer's Line, Headlands, and the Barrens, though.

NeOak

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...king/cid=UP0002-CUSA00219_00-DESTINYTAKENKING

Our info is out of date! TTK standalone DLC now includes TDB and HoW :) just learned this right now, surprising that none of us had heard about this. When the hell did this happen lol

Nice.

I was being sarcastic because I genuinely was shocked that 343 redeemed themselves after MCC. But yes Halo 5 is lag free from what I've played of it.
It is. As long as you connect to the right datacenter.

But yeah, laggers get fucked thanks to the dedicated servers.

ocean

Banned
No problem, I was under the same impression, that's why I came here for help. Apparently, it's quite new then. Maybe Ill go and trade in what I have now for the vanilla disc but Im not sure if its even worth the hassle of going to a game store. I might just buy that package.
Your options right now:

1. Keep your Vanilla and buy this TTK standalone DLC digitally.
2. Trade in your Vanilla disk and buy the Legendary Edition.

1 is more convenient since you can do that from your couch, 2 is probably cheaper but you need to find a store.

You sure that had to do with light level? That's sounds like appropriate damage for a hipfire headshot. Unless you weren't hip firing.

Ooooo....I was indeed hip firing...I don't use TLW enough so I had no idea it could crit for that much. Thanks for the info!

JOHN! THAT POST. When are you going to start your Destiny PVP blog? Seriously!

Edit: The John and Ape magic is real if I am reading that correctly ;)

Top Bottom