• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

The addition of weapons to the microtransaction pool in CoD is pretty gross. I would hope that Bungie wouldn't give in to any pressure from Activision to implement a similar system. Even before those were added the microtransactions were a little annoying as they never felt like they funded anything that benefited the player. If they released maps or other content for free it might feel more justified. TLoU for example had microtransactions (some poorly handled, but that isn't the point) but also had all of the map packs available for free so the playerbase wasn't fragmented.

I'm just joking, Nami. I only ever run one card anyway, so there's plenty of Igorian Apes to go around. (Or is it Simian Igors?)

Haha. I had to John. We do actually need to play together more often. We bump elbows too much because we obviously think alike when we play. I will usually find myself right next to you without it even being intentional.

It definitely got more rough as the weekend went on. Drizz and me did a marathon on friday and did like 60 games (3 cards with you, 2 with xplicit, 2 pretty hard successful carries). Then on saturday tried a couple cards, then yesterday a couple games. People started abusing the map.

On that stats note my kd is at 1.86, the grind for 2.0 is real.

Yeah, I tried to keep up with the thread while I was gone on Saturday. It sounded rough. I will say how happy I am about that 4-4 we won against the super campy team over the weekend. Golden Gun saved the day as Todd used himself for "bait" :p

I don't see how that's any worse than emotes or sparrow horn kits.

Horns and emotes are cosmetic things you dont see as much as the gun on your screen.

Horns? Sure who gives a damn.
Dance emotes? Again who gives a damn that theyre sold.
Sparrows? Other than srl not really integral to the game.
The way your weapon looks? Now thats...something different.

Because once you stop going for high level light gear, you start going for things that look cool.

It definitely got more rough as the weekend went on. Drizz and me did a marathon on friday and did like 60 games (3 cards with you, 2 with xplicit, 2 pretty hard successful carries). Then on saturday tried a couple cards, then yesterday a couple games. People started abusing the map.

On that stats note my kd is at 1.86, the grind for 2.0 is real.

We did 3 cards actually haha. We did 2 on Friday and 1 Saturday or Sunday, IIRC.

We did 1. I hung out while you and Drizz did fox and inthrall. Then we did another card after. On Sunday we did a card before yall played with John, I think.

I'm still firmly in the not one penny camp until I see them put as much effort into the game as they do with MT's, though we're probably already into the abyss

Horns and emotes are cosmetic things you dont see as much as the gun on your screen.

Because once you stop going for high level light gear, you start going for things that look cool.
Those sparrows look freakin cool tho.

Haha. I had to John. We do actually need to play together more often. We bump elbows too much because we obviously think alike when we play. I will usually find myself right next to you without it even being intentional.

I wonder what that means, that me, as a Sniper, am always moving just like a Shotgunner.

Hmm.........

I was thinking about this a lot playing with Igor & Drizz. What is my role?

I think I do actually do act like a shotgunner, it's just my OHK weapon is long-range instead. I'm leaving most of our team snipes to Igor and I go for pinches. Either I get a pick from a different angle, or I rush down with my Doctrine & hose people down. My sniping is still really bad overall, so I use my Doctrine as a crutch, which is why Doctrine is 2/3rds of my kills.

My close range/long range kill split as a sniper is identical to you, Ape, a shotgunner. I wonder how I would do giving in and shotgunning in Trials.

CeP_c-YWAAAB0Nf.jpg

We did 3 cards actually haha. We did 2 on Friday and 1 Saturday or Sunday, IIRC.

We did 1. I hung out while you and Drizz did fox and inthrall. Then we did another card after. On Sunday we did a card before yall played with John, I think.

Yeah i know i was talking purely about friday there :p

LTWood12

I love you breezy, but that doesn't make sense to me.

It makes sense to me. Weapon skins are the most visible cosmetic option in the game. Your gun is up on screen 100% of your time playing. They're more visible than any armor you're wearing. After all, you only see yourself 3rd person in Menus or during Supers/Sparrows, so not near as often as your gun.

So it would suck if weapon skins were primarily MTX driven.

Yeah, I tried to keep up with the thread while I was gone on Saturday. It sounded rough. I will say how happy I am about that 4-4 we won against the super campy team over the weekend. Golden Gun saved the day as Todd used himself for "bait" :p

Yeah thank god that super was a GG (a super that actually works)and you just destroyed all of them from a distance and that hunter tethered who knows what but it wasnt you.

Lee

whUJ7GK.png

Still have this. Here's hoping it turns into a 335 Queenie Bow on 4/12 because Bungie didn't think anyone was still holding one.

Let me ask you a retrospective question.

Why do people go for shaders? Why do they chase rare emblems or ships when it isnt important to the core of the game?

What, for example, if Bungie decided to limit the shaders you could get and sold the rest?

Apply that to weapon shader.

Oh wow so Party Chat on XB1 to Twitch has been active on my machine for 12 days now and I didn't know -_-

Going to test it out shortly.

LTWood12

Let me ask you a retrospective question.

Why do people go for shaders? Why do they chase rare emblems or ships when it isnt important to the core of the game?

What, for example, if Bungie decided to limit the shaders you could get and sold the rest?

Apply that to weapon shader.

I'm not saying I love the idea. I just don't find it any more or less offensive than any other cosmetic items. What I DO find offensive is the assertion that microtransactions were going to fund meaningful content in year 2, which as of yet hasn't happened.

But in a vacuum, I suppose I expect that anything cosmetic is going to be fair game when it comes to MTs.

I'm not saying I love the idea. I just don't find it any more or less offensive than any other cosmetic items. What I DO find offensive is the assertion that microtransactions were going to fund meaningful content in year 2, which as of yet hasn't happened.

But in a vacuum, I suppose I expect that anything cosmetic is going to be fair game when it comes to MTs.

Ill go into detail in my future to be rant, but destiny isnt an f2p game. So these type of practices are abhorrent tbh.

GhaleonEB

I don't see how that's any worse than emotes or sparrow horn kits.

Neither of those affect how my character looks, which is the digital Barbie aspect of the game. I'd characterize it as loot, in the same way armor shaders are. Though they are similar to horns and emotes in that they (might?) be a new category of stuff added to the game.

I hope some are added to the loot tables.

LTWood12

Ill go into detail in my future to be rant, but destiny isnt an f2p game. So these type of practices are abhorrent tbh.

Yeah I can understand that. I have a lot of thoughts on this but lack the time to type up a meaty post about it right now. Maybe this week. Good discussion though.

edit:
Praying for Saladin to sell a FP w/
Sureshot, Outlaw, Hammer Forged/ER/Rifled Barrel, & LitC; or something close to this.

inthrall

I find this interesting, if you had to choose one of the following, which would you choose and why?:

• $40 for an expansion
  • $0 for an expansion, 20 purely cosmetic skins/dances for $5 each

Shiv47

I find this interesting, if you had to choose one of the following, which would you choose and why?:

• $40 for an expansion

If the playable game content was the same in each, then $0. I haven't spent a penny on emotes or anything else cosmetic, and don't plan to.

The addition of weapons to the microtransaction pool in CoD is pretty gross. I would hope that Bungie wouldn't give in to any pressure from Activision to implement a similar system. Even before those were added the microtransactions were a little annoying as they never felt like they funded anything that benefited the player. If they released maps or other content for free it might feel more justified. TLoU for example had microtransactions (some poorly handled, but that isn't the point) but also had all of the map packs available for free so the playerbase wasn't fragmented.

Yeah I was all for them doing skins, cosmetics, and emotes. But when they started adding weapons it started to be kinda shady. But you can still get credits for so many games you play to open a chest. The only way we can get stuff like emotes or sparrows are through silver.

LTWood12

Yeah I was all for them doing skins, cosmetics, and emotes. But when they started adding weapons it started to be kinda shady. But you can still get credits for so many games you play to open a chest. The only way we can get stuff like emotes or sparrows are through silver.

I take it you haven't done a nightfall in awhile.

Trakan

• $40 for an expansion

Even TDB and HoW which were ripoffs in terms of content for $20, were much better than what we're getting here.

Neither of those affect how my character looks, which is the digital Barbie aspect of the game. I'd characterize it as loot, in the same way armor shaders are. Though they are similar to horns and emotes in that they (might?) be a new category of stuff added to the game.

I hope some are added to the loot tables.

Yup. I dont think anyone would want to go back to Crotas end or VoG where everyone ended up looking the same.

• $40 for an expansion

Does it matter? Bungie is doing both. Its not a matter of picking one over the other, because Destiny players have to deal with not only pating $40 for an xpac but also paying for emotes and possibly skins.

See, if microtransactions had made future xpacs free, I wouldnt be here railing against Bungie. And yet here we are. Get hyped for recycled content "paid" by the microtransactions, and get hyped for the $40 expansion releasing later this year.

inthrall

Does it matter? Bungie is doing both.

The way I see it is they added cosmetics instead of adding an expansion at the 4-8 (or only 6) month mark, going with a compromise of $60 expansion and cosmetics, instead of 2x $40 expansions.

I think my original question has merit though, as people are clearly willing to go either way on this, and this approach probably brings them more money (see white whale concept) while letting people choose how much they want to spend on the game

Yeah, the fact that the currency is something you earn over the course of playing makes it less egregious. Even though some stuff bought through silver can drop it still feels like the microtransactions in Destiny aren't tuned satisfactorily.

ocean

Banned
It all comes down to people viewing micro transactions as seed capital or something.

When you buy a Sparrow or Emote or whatever is on sale, you're not funding DLC. You're not pitching in for something you'll get in the future. Or like you're insane if you do. If your purchase decision is justified with Live Team free updates, consider this: they've never detailed the scope, content, timing, NOTHING about it.

So here is a tip: use the same criteria you've always used to buy literally anything in your life. As in: do I want it, is it a price I'm willing to pay. That's it.

Buy Hotline Bling if you think it's worth US$5. Don't buy if you don't think it's worth it, on the basis of the item and the satisfaction you'll get from using it alone. If you expect a raid to come with your purchase you're setting yourself up for disappointment. And if you think people who do buy these things are getting duped because there's been no significant new content funded with it, consider the following radical possibility: people paid for the emotes because they wanted the emotes and it's that simple?

The way I see it is they added cosmetics instead of adding an expansion at the 4-8 (or only 6) month mark, going with a compromise of $60 expansion and cosmetics, instead of 2x $40 expansions.

I think my original question has merit though, as people are clearly willing to go either way on this, and this approach probably brings them more money (see white whale concept) while letting people choose how much they want to spend on the game

I would go for the expansion every time. Guaranteed content that, at a $40 mark, adds content in a bi yearly basis is superior. Even slices like crota or HoW are better than what we got

Deku Tree

Yeah if the April update brings pay Silver for a new appearance of your guardian with an aura or a glow or a gun skin I would not like it. Next step pay money for OP guns with a 1/5000 chance of getting them from an RNG pack. No thanks. Not interested.

inthrall

I would go for the expansion every time. Guaranteed content that, at a $40 mark, adds content in a bi yearly basis is superior. Even slices like crota or HoW are better than what we got

So you want to pay for content, and not for skins? Then only pay for content, and don't buy any skins. If you don't want to pay for skins, no-one is forcing you to. *shrug*

Deku Tree

So you want to pay for content, and not for skins? Then only pay for content, and don't buy any skins. If you don't want to pay for skins, no-one is forcing you to. *shrug*

It's not that simple. The problem I have with it is that it dilutes the content, and the best looking skins get locked behind MTs. And everyone else looks mediocre.

The general point is, it's all MT's and no content meaning no choice. If someone would have predicted that the sum total of new stuff we got between TTK and the next expansion was one strike, one new PvP map and a rejigged PoE they would have been laughed off the forum

Dalek

Is anyone doing a raid tonight? Any raid? I have some rare free time and I'd love to play. I need weapons from all 3. Level 306 Titan

Top Bottom