• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

inthrall

It's not that simple. The problem I have with it is that it dilutes the content, and the best looking skins get locked behind MTs. And everyone else looks mediocre.

Someone mentioned before that if you buy skins and expect content, you're doing it wrong. The microtransactions don't dilute the content simply by existing, they are a way to keep the companies profits up while they develop Destiny 2.

If you think the cosmetic skins are best looking, then its a personal decision whether to pay money for them. If you don't think its worth paying money for, thats fine too. I don't see this as any different to paying for a "collectors edition" which has 5-6 cosmetics attached, and people barely griped about those on TTK release

The general point is, it's all MT's and no content meaning no choice. If someone would have predicted that the sum total of new stuff we got between TTK and the next expansion was one strike, one new PvP map and a rejigged PoE they would have been laughed off the forum

I get that people are bitter about lack of content, but the ire is misaligned towards something else they don't like either, in my opinion

EDIT: Top of page gif: http://gfycat.com/PerfumedComplexAnemone

Deku Tree

The whole thing your doing in Destiny is grinding for gear that you like how it looks and then you grind increase its power to max level. It sounds like in the future you might just be able to buy the best looking gear, and you can be sure the best looking stuff is not going to be included in the price of the game. That's not a future that I want to be involved in.

inthrall

The whole thing your doing in Destiny is grinding for gear that you like how it looks and then you grind increase its power to max level. It sounds like in the future you might just be able to buy the best looking gear, and you can be sure the best looking stuff is not going to be included in the price of the game. That's not a future that I want to be involved in.

I agree, luckily that's not what exists today. I've quit games before for offering an actual in-game advantage to people who can gamble away excess income for an edge

Microtransactions shouldn't be at the expense of meaningful expansions and content drops, but the problem is that they feel that way regardless. I believe in one of Jason's articles it was claimed that Bungie pivoted towards microtransactions to fulfill contractual obligations to put out Dlc content after the launch of TTK. So even though this decision was done in part because Bungie didn't have the resources to follow their original Dlc plan it feels like we've been robbed of the content drip we want.

Edit: I meant Jason not Kirk

So you want to pay for content, and not for skins? Then only pay for content, and don't buy any skins. If you don't want to pay for skins, no-one is forcing you to. *shrug*

If the $40 content included skins to earn, sure.

Like Deku said its not that simple. In my thesis of rage that I will bestow upon this thread, I will bring up examples of this.

For example, lets say theres a Taken skin thats purchaseable. I would rather be able to earn it in game, through some crazy goal like killing 5000 taken in the dreadnought explore, then to pay $5 for it. Because then its something you earn, that other plays may never get nor see in a regular basis. Something that will show your commitment to a goal, something that not alot of people will have.

As the adage goes, when everyone is a superhero, nobody will be.
I agree, luckily that's not what exists today. I've quit games before for offering an actual in-game advantage to people who can gamble away excess income for an edge

Back when they announced the emote MTs, I mentioned slippery slopes. And people scoffed at that. Then the halloween event brought us purchaseable cosmetic helmets. And then the SRL event brought us purchaseable armor through the book. And purchaseable sparrows. And now we might get purchaseable weapon skins.

What is there to earn? Do you want a future where everyone earns the same gear, and the only way to look unique is by spending money?

Fuck that.

So I saw this over on reddit because Black Ops 3 is in a bit of a crisis. I hope this day doesn't come to Destiny:

Supply Drops in Black Ops 3 give 3 random items, could be camos, emblems, Calling cards, etc. And it first started off as a package that could be bought with in-game currency only.

The very stem of this problem is that the publisher Activision promised to keep the the things given cosmetic only, meaning that whatever you got (because it's 100% random) wouldn't give an advantage to anyone. However, that changed one day when they dropped 3 new weapons into the pool and made a way to buy the in game cureency with real money. It started the overwhelming flow of big Youtubers spending crazy amounts of real money hitting a lottery for hopefully one of the weapons. It made the game not fun, as the objective then became grinding for Cryptokeys (the in game currency) and hopefully hit a drop and get a weapon.

A certain modder did some datamining and found the exact probability of you getting an item of a certain rarity. This caused people to figure out how much of a ripoff buying these supply drops with real money.

I quote from a thread I saw on the subreddit: 'You could spent $5000 and still not get the particular gun or taunt you want'.

So since Activision is always trying to make money, they didn't like that their behaviour was exposed. So they decided it'd be a good idea to take this modder to court. This is possibly causing the grumbling you're talking about.

Also why it's gotten more traction is because bigger Youtubers (Tmartn, 402Thunder, MrRoflWaffles) have came out and admitted that the system is bogus. Tmartn admitted to spending $1700 in real money trying to get a certain weapon he hasn't gotten. And you can see he's never gotten it because of all the supply drop openings he's uploaded to youtube. (And so many people do openings, which is why the focus of the game has changed).​

Also, RIP Megamanexe.

Quoting this for John

inthrall

For example, lets say theres a Taken skin thats purchaseable. I would rather be able to earn it in game, through some crazy goal like killing 5000 taken in the dreadnought explore, then to pay $5 for it.

I prefer this too, but this can already be done without skinning a weapon (you could level a non conventional weapon and achieve the same effect while staying at max light). Sure there will be unavailable skins, but I'm never going to get the CoD shader and I don't see how that is different to a colored weapon that I can also choose to pay for.

Back when they announced the emote MTs, I mentioned slippery slopes. And people scoffed at that. Then the halloween event brought us purchaseable cosmetic helmets. And then the SRL event brought us purchaseable armor through the book. And purchaseable sparrows. And now we might get purchaseable weapon skins.

What is there to earn? Do you want a future where everyone earns the same gear, and the only way to look unique is by spending money?

Fuck that.

This is a nihilistic view, things don't always get worse. There is a chance of a slippery slope, but so far they haven't sold anything that gives a player an edge over another player. (Arguably the sparrows do, but you could acquire equivalent ones in-game after playing for a while) I'm not going to worry about something that hasn't yet happened

Quoting this for John

This is something to be worried about if it happens, but it hasn't

Trakan

Making promises already.

yv2KCLQ.png

They should. The narrative you've crafted hasn't reflected the reality of the community response at this point. And as for the future, "it's a slippery slope" is something an alarmist says. It's a worst-case scenario guess, not insight. Most people on this board possess the same amount of actual knowledge regarding future microtransactions in the game - none - so this posturing for the possible "I told you so" tipping point is really silly.

5th Merc trip this week. This couple of friends from the UK that picked me up from lfg were pretty cool. My final boss suicide each round. Easiest final boss ever.

Might pull out the double hat trick later for the first time ever. I'm way too addicted.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've gone more than 3x in 1 week before.

Xbox chat works on Twitch now. Finally

the_id

Thread is saltier than usual. Guys, sit tight and wait it out. There's no point stressing over something the Might or Might not happen.

The only thing that can kill Destiny is Bungie itself and I'm sure they're aware of that.

tumblr_numtn8vlN41tmtogao3_500.gif

i was farming devouring maw all day but not luck at all, this is worst that farm taniks
I have not seen one drop in ages. Neither that or the sunless cell helmet. Heck, im missing barons ambition and 2 flayers mantles and they just wont drop

Dont even get me started on imago loop with firefly. 10 drops, 10, and none with firefly. #wheresmyfireflyimagoloopbungie

Ji66a-Man

I have not seen one drop in ages. Neither that or the sunless cell helmet. Heck, im missing barons ambition and 2 flayers mantles and they just wont drop

Dont even get me started on imago loop with firefly. 10 drops, 10, and none with firefly. #wheresmyfireflyimagoloopbungie

You didn't farm hard enough. Imago Loop with Firefly/Outlaw though, you're better off buying a lottery ticket.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

I forgot there even was a Sunless Cell helmet drop!!! The drop rates for these strike specific gear is ridiculously low.
Ridiculous

I prefer this too, but this can already be done without skinning a weapon (you could level a non conventional weapon and achieve the same effect while staying at max light). Sure there will be unavailable skins, but I'm never going to get the CoD shader and I don't see how that is different to a colored weapon that I can also choose to pay for.

This is a nihilistic view, things don't always get worse. There is a chance of a slippery slope, but so far they haven't sold anything that gives a player an edge over another player. (Arguably the sparrows do, but you could acquire equivalent ones in-game after playing for a while) I'm not going to worry about something that hasn't yet happened

This is something to be worried about if it happens, but it hasn't

It's not a matter of levelling a weapon to max level and leaving it at that. Not everyone -wants- to do just that. This narrative of 'Who cares it's just a cosmetic' as if that somehow proves that nobody wants to make their guardian their own is wrong.

As for your second point, the slippery slope has already happened. You're simply moving the goalposts to include selling power. "So what if they sell emotes? So what if they sale cosmetic helmets? So what if they sell armor that gives you an edge in SRL racing? So what if they sell weapon skins? So what if they sell sparrows?". Again, we are in the process of the slippery slope. The reason why John posted about Call of Duty, is because they started out with cosmetics too. And look at them now, selling weapons exclusive to these bought loot boxes.

They should. The narrative you've crafted hasn't reflected the reality of the community response at this point. And as for the future, "it's a slippery slope" is something an alarmist says. It's a worst-case scenario guess, not insight. Most people on this board possess the same amount of actual knowledge regarding future microtransactions in the game - none - so this posturing for the possible "I told you so" tipping point is really silly.

What narrative? And what alarmist? Slippery slopes are real. There is proof of a slippery slope in Destiny when it comes to Microtransactions. That's fact. It's not me being alarmist or fearmongering, it's me pointing out 'Oh look it's a slippery slope.'

And again, when they first introduced the idea of Microtransactions, that's when I surmised that it could lead into a slippery slope- and there were people like you, telling me the same thing-That it'll just be emotes. You somehow turning this into a 'You just want to say "I told you so"! You're being silly!" is simply ad hominem.

It's not a matter if this is a slippery slope anymore. It's a matter of when the slope ends. And right now, there's no signs of stopping.

Again, if you want an example of maximum slope, look at call of duty. Started out with purely cosmetics, just like Destiny, and they ended up packing exclusive weapons to their MT's. Not saying Destiny will end up like that, but it's obvious Activision has their hand in Bungies cookie jar, just like they do for CoD. How far they'll reach for Destiny is yet to be seen, but make no mistake, they've started reaching.

Anyone raiding tonight?

Everyone is too busy being upset about Destiny to actually play it right now :p

There have been a few people looking for newbie raids recently. I responded to them this morning but haven't seen them post since so I'm not sure if we could find enough to fill out a group. Have you done King's Fall before? I'm happy to help with a run tonight if we can find enough newbies and vets to fill out a group.

Also, how long do you have available? King's Fall can take a few hours depending on how many new raiders are in the group.

phen0m24

Yeah I can understand that. I have a lot of thoughts on this but lack the time to type up a meaty post about it right now. Maybe this week. Good discussion though.

edit:
Praying for Saladin to sell a FP w/
Sureshot, Outlaw, Hammer Forged/ER/Rifled Barrel, & LitC; or something close to this

Give @gen-e-us a run for his money, eh? :)
I want one too

darknil

For the past week I've tried playing The Division and Halo 5.

Bottom line I end up missing Destiny's gunplay.

I'll be available if pros want to take advantage of my ELO (890~) in Trials for running a couple of cards :p

inthrall

It's not a matter of levelling a weapon to max level and leaving it at that. Not everyone -wants- to do just that. This narrative of 'Who cares it's just a cosmetic' as if that somehow proves that nobody wants to make their guardian their own is wrong.

As for your second point, the slippery slope has already happened. You're simply moving the goalposts to include selling power. "So what if they sell emotes? So what if they sale cosmetic helmets? So what if they sell armor that gives you an edge in SRL racing? So what if they sell weapon skins? So what if they sell sparrows?". Again, we are in the process of the slippery slope. The reason why John posted about Call of Duty, is because they started out with cosmetics too. And look at them now, selling weapons exclusive to these bought loot boxes.

CoD did do that, and as of today Destiny has not. Why are you still making noise about something that hasn't happened, and shows no signs of happening? If it does happen, we kick up a stink then. If it doesn't happen, you kicking up a storm of negativity for no reason

Everyone is too busy being upset about Destiny to actually play it right now :p

Speaking of which, I'll probably be on if anything does happen

Nah man its fine, the hit detection is fine i tell you.]

My blood pressure just went up watching that. Arc blade is a lot of fun when it works, but that's asking a lot. It has the highest skill ceiling of any super and gives that freedom of movement I love so much (like flying around with the VoG relic). But the hit detection, oh lord the hit detection... the auto aim getting stuck on people... trading instead of killing laggy players... Sunsinger burns cancelling Hungering Blade.... the rage, the rage.

I have a fun clip saved where I was trying to swipe forward to go for revives but somehow got stuck on a laggy Titan so I flew 30 feet backwards into his Fist smash. I'll gif it up later.

CoD did do that, and as of today Destiny has not. Why are you still making noise about something that hasn't happened, and shows no signs of happening? If it does happen, we kick up a stink then. If it doesn't happen, you kicking up a storm of negativity for no reason

Because by then it'll be too late.

Sure you can stick your head in the sand and go 'lalalala stop complaining it's not happened yet', but you'll be the first against the wall when it does happen.

Rather raise a stink now then wait until they've implemented them, because by then there will be people that do pay for that shit and they'll have no reason to not continue.

Top Bottom