• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

All this MT stuff is just embarrassing to me. I went from really looking forward to Destiny 2 to not touching it with a 10-foot pole. Most the quality of life improvements are there to facilitate and or encourage buying MTs. It's gross.

Sad thing is I wouldn't mind playing Destiny again here and there, it was a fun game to play. But I just can't get behind what they have done and are doing to this game.

FyreWulff

Another irritation is the way the MT stuff worked.

Festival came out. It seemed funding it would fund later events. You got one or two free masks but had to pay up for more. Alright, I can work with that, we get to keep a bit of it for free and have to pay up to get more, which would assumedly go towards funding further events, again with a free taste and optional permanance MTs. My thought is we'd have these events, and the purchases in each (optional) would fund ones later, which would continue to have optional MTs.

And then SRL hits and they start closing the loop. There's a record book but you have to pay 10$(!) upfront to buy it. There's no communication on if this book is a one off. The book wasn't even announced, really, it just appeared. They give you a horn but you can't "trade" this horn for another horn, you straight up have to pay to keep -any- of the horns past the expiration of SRL, which I thought was a bit crappy. So they took the "free sample" away and forced you to pay for even that.

Then Crimson Doubles comes out and seems to back off the SRL bullishness and goes straight back to cosmetics only MTs- emotes - and open drops of the rep buff - candy. Okay, much better, and while it was Crucible only it turned out to be one of my favorite modes of the year due to the gametype.

Now we're at Sterling Treasure. Now the loop is COMPLETELY closed - stuff in ST only comes out of ST, and feeds back into ST pull loop. They're giving us a taster again like Festival, but none if it is really permanent. And part of this ST stuff is rep boosters - whose only saving grace is that they apply to the entire fireteam. These rep boosters are obtainable nowhere else but the Sterling Treasure. Now even if it wasn't intended, removing the Nightfall bonus comes off a bit more of an accountant at Activision trying to increase the value of rep buff MTs.

It should have been like this:

Finishing the Nightfall gives you a free Vanguard Rep Booster.
Finishing the 42 PoE gives you a free PoE rep Booster.
Finishing the Shaxfall gives you the Crucible Rep booster.

That way you get the Nightfall rep bonus back, but the player can choose when to spend the booster, making less pressure to do the NF right at reset.

LTWood12

Now we're at Sterling Treasure. Now the loop is COMPLETELY closed - stuff in ST only comes out of ST, and feeds back into ST pull loop. They're giving us a taster again like Festival, but none if it is really permanent. And part of this ST stuff is rep boosters - whose only saving grace is that they apply to the entire fireteam. These rep boosters are obtainable nowhere else but the Sterling Treasure. Now even if it wasn't intended, removing the Nightfall bonus comes off a bit more of an accountant at Activision trying to increase the value of rep buff MTs.

Yep. The seed of doubt has been planted now.

Thanks for clarifying. While different, and less chroma-hungry, it's not much better but somehow even more complex. So let's say I want to see what a gun looks like with each of the four colors. It will cost me however much glimmer to successfully roll each slot (say, 800), plus four chroma.

Thinking this through, if I do manage to get enough chroma, chroma-compatable armor, and glimmer to get a set of three guns (in each slot) and one set of armor the way I want it, but then get a great new shader that would work better with say, blue rather than the red chroma I set...oof. You have to 1) re-roll every item individually, then 2) burn another chroma on each one. Probably looking at a few hundred to a few thousand glimmer and however many chroma per item.

But there's no way to earn chroma directly, just the three boxes each week, or Eververse.

Why. Why why why.

They are whale fishing, and I want out of this ocean.
:(
You answered your own question. Writing has been on the wall for a while.

It makes sense from a business standpoint - can you imagine how much money they would have made if they sold exotic engrams during the Gjallarhorn Craze of 2015? One heavy engram for 200 Silver?

I don't have a problem with MTs in principle but when they are tied to a system as purposely addicting as Destiny's, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

FyreWulff

As an aside, I'll bring up an annoyance from Halo 4.

They had a Double EXP system. Just like Halo 3 and Reach! Neat!

They have it done as tokens you can redeem. So literally any playlist becomes Double EXP for you! Ah, cool, flexibility! 343, just give everyone like 5 tokens per week and they can make any list DEXP, you don't have to choose one!

... the entire thing was locked to a 7-11 promotion and LITERALLY never used again 3 months after the game came out :(

If you get a gun with a white chroma slot, it will require white chroma to turn on.

If you want it to have a blue chroma slot, then it will cost you 100 glimmer to re-roll.

You spend 100 glimmer per roll.

If you reroll this gun after turning the white chroma on, you will lose the white chroma you used (ie. It is a consumable).

After you get the blue slot, then it will require blue chroma to turn on.

Chroma is only used when turning on the particular color, not for rerolling.

Wait - We can't earn Chroma outside of those boxes? Well...blurg.

Is anyone with more reach in the Destiny community speaking out about this? Any of the streamers?

Was really hoping "New Things to Earn" would go beyond HERE'S MICROTRANSACTIONS!!!!

If it was truly New Things To Earn, I was hoping for a:

• New perks!
  • Nightfall / Shaxx Rewards are better!
  • Doubling the drop rate from Strikes and Crucible Matches OR
  • Rerolling is back!
  • Shaders drop like rain!
  • New Exotics, not re-hashes
Instead, it's RNG packages that feel like a slimy iOS game designed to milk the money out the weak-willed.

I've never seriously considered putting Destiny down, because DGAF and my friends are there. But this "update" is dreadful. I'd rather them have said "here are a few bug fixes", see you in September.

Wait - We can't earn Chroma outside of those boxes? Well...blurg.

Is anyone with more reach in the Destiny community speaking out about this? Any of the streamers?

You can, but that won't stop the outrage. You can obtain chroma through faction armor (FWC/DO/NM) as chroma is given when you dismantle. There are two factually inaccurate assumptions that have fed some of the rage: 1) You can't obtain chroma outside of the boxes. 2) Chroma is required to reroll.

This information will either continue to be ignored, or the arguments that relied on the misinformation will simply be reformed.

Can the Chroma be used on armor sets that aren't the "pay2win" set, or does it only appear on that one?

4 sets total.

These three sets can only be obtained from Rank up packages and are NOT sold at vendors:
Dead Orbit
New Monarchy
FWC

Chroma can be used on the Spectar set found in the Sterling Treasure packs:

Chroma can also be used on Both the new Queen's Weapon Legendaries, and the new Varik's Weapon legendaries.

I don't remember if it works on the updated PoE armor or not.

You can, but that won't stop the outrage. You can obtain chroma through faction armor (FWC/DO/NM) as chroma is given when you dismantle. There are two factually inaccurate assumptions that have fed some of the rage: 1) You can't obtain chroma outside of the boxes. 2) Chroma is required to reroll.

This information will either continue to be ignored, or the arguments that relied on the misinformation will simply be reformed.

1) Faction Armor is super-expensive to purchase or comes only through RNG rank-up packages. It doesn't drop in game.
2) Chroma isn't required to re-roll, but it is required to activate. So reroll all you want, but if you want to switch from Red to Blue to White, it'll take 3 Chromas.

1) Faction Armor is super-expensive to purchase or comes only through RNG rank-up packages. It doesn't drop in game.
2) Chroma isn't required to re-roll, but it is required to activate. So reroll all you want, but if you want to switch from Red to Blue to White, it'll take 3 Chromas.

Personally, I see the latter a non issue. It's like Strange Coins and even Ascendant materials all over again.

Bungie doesn't know how to create economies, so everyone will be starving in the beginning, but by week 3 or 4, people will start having more than they know what to do with.

Then by week 6, you'll find yourself deleting them because you're annoyed by the space they're taking up.

LTWood12

MT idea:

$2 to exclude a perk from every appearing on your weapon drops in game.

Custom Optics
Hip fire
Injection Mold
Icarus
Oiled Frame
Replenish
Vacuum
Surrounded
Relentless Tracker
Exhumed
Partial Refund
Sword of Aegeus
MALLEUS MALEFICARUM
Hannibal
Mutiny
Guerilla Fighter
Eye of the Storm

So for $34 I could make almost every weapon drop actually interesting!

Shiv47

I think maybe I'm done till the 12th. No reason to play IB, no reason to do anything until further leveling is possible, and to see how good or bad the QoL changes are. The stuff yesterday leaves a bad taste.

Homeboyd

MT idea:

Custom Optics
Hip fire
Injection Mold
Icarus
Oiled Frame
Replenish
Vacuum
Surrounded
Relentless Tracker
Exhumed
Partial Refund
Sword of Aegeus
MALLEUS MALEFICARUM
Hannibal
Mutiny
Guerilla Fighter
Eye of the Storm

Where do I swipe my credit card

NeOak

MT idea:

Custom Optics
Hip fire
Injection Mold
Icarus
Oiled Frame
Replenish
Vacuum
Surrounded
Relentless Tracker
Exhumed
Partial Refund
Sword of Aegeus
MALLEUS MALEFICARUM
Hannibal
Mutiny
Guerilla Fighter
Eye of the Storm

giphy.gif

MT idea:

Custom Optics
Hip fire
Injection Mold
Icarus
Oiled Frame
Replenish
Vacuum
Surrounded
Relentless Tracker
Exhumed
Partial Refund
Sword of Aegeus
MALLEUS MALEFICARUM
Hannibal
Mutiny
Guerilla Fighter
Eye of the Storm

LOL

MT idea:

Custom Optics
Hip fire
Injection Mold
Icarus
Oiled Frame
Replenish
Vacuum
Surrounded
Relentless Tracker
Exhumed
Partial Refund
Sword of Aegeus
MALLEUS MALEFICARUM
Hannibal
Mutiny
Guerilla Fighter
Eye of the Storm

Heyyy Eye of the Storm is alright.

Shiv47

MT idea:

Custom Optics
Hip fire
Injection Mold
Icarus
Oiled Frame
Replenish
Vacuum
Surrounded
Relentless Tracker
Exhumed
Partial Refund
Sword of Aegeus
MALLEUS MALEFICARUM
Hannibal
Mutiny
Guerilla Fighter
Eye of the Storm

Bungie could sell $29.99 "Private Commissions" from Banshee where he'll craft a weapon to your favorite specs! No need to worry about drops ever again!

Kor is literally the only person on Gaf who does

If you want anything to be seen, get ready for some fucking psychological analysis bullshit.

You gotta plan out what time of day, and what day of the week to post something to reddit if you actually want it to get anywhere...

Especially lately. Fucking defense force has been growing and growing over there these past couple of months.

I made a comment about Warlock's getting 1 less exotic this time around and here is 1 of the responses I got:

Oh NO! Better call whine won won!

It's a love hate relationship because I KNOW Bungie uses it to get an idea of what the community is thinking, but at the same time, this community can be really fucking stupid.

It's like, if people over there had a united voice, I feel like we could actually get shit done. Instead, it's littered contrarians, devil's advocates, and the bungie equivalent of white knights...

Axoman

So...

Are there going to be any corrections in "This Week at Bungie"?

Like, infusion isn't really 100% or maybe you really only get 1 Sterling Treasure a week instead of 3?

social-gaming-gambling-summit-2012.jpg

This was in 2012. Do you think Bungie attended?

Because "Social Gaming & Gambling" is literally Destiny Year 2 now.
This is exactly what is happening. Destiny is just the beginning. I expect all AAA games to incorporate this. The success of Destiny and the Division can't really be ignored.

Ballistic

I remember Deej saying that you get a chromma wen breaking down weapons and i think armor. Need to rewatch the stream though.

If you want anything to be seen, get ready for some fucking psychological analysis bullshit.

You gotta plan out what time of day, and what day of the week to post something to reddit if you actually want it to get anywhere...

Especially lately. Fucking defense force has been growing and growing over there these past couple of months.

I made a comment about Warlock's getting 1 less exotic this time around and here is 1 of the responses I got:

It's a love hate relationship because I KNOW Bungie uses it to get an idea of what the community is thinking, but at the same time, this community can be really fucking stupid.

It's like, if people over there had a united voice, I feel like we could actually get shit done. Instead, it's littered contrarians, devil's advocates, and the bungie equivalent of white knights...

It's the same way with Riot/League of Legends. Even worse is that the mods over there are practically 'paid off' by riot by having a direct landline to riot, and they have to sign an NDA.

But the culture is the same. You get a defense force, yes-men, it's sad.

Honestly, what bugs me about Chroma more than anything is that I don't have 4 empty inventory slots on me regularly.

I've got 20 slots

• Weapon Parts
  • Armor Parts
  • Spinmetal
  • Helium
  • Spirit Bloom
  • Relic Iron
  • Wormspore
  • Hadium
  • Moldering Shards
  • Passage Coins
  • Strange Coins
  • Exotic Shards
  • Motes of Light

That's 13 out of 20.

Now, I'll likely have to start carrying Court of Oryx runes again. So that's another 3 slots. And of course, Stolen and Antiquated take up 2 slots basically. So that puts me at 18 out of 20.

Now I'm expected to carry 4 more items on top of it...

Bleh...

the_id

I wish they would just focus on improving the core gameplay rather than these bullshit microtransactions and fashion shit.

new things to earn? more like New things to Buy.

It all depends on last reveal stream re: the sandbox update.

Axoman

Honestly, what bugs me about Chroma more than anything is that I don't have 4 empty inventory slots on me regularly.

I've got 20 slots

• Weapon Parts
  • Armor Parts
  • Spinmetal
  • Helium
  • Spirit Bloom
  • Relic Iron
  • Wormspore
  • Hadium
  • Moldering Shards
  • Passage Coins
  • Strange Coins
  • Exotic Shards
  • Motes of Light

That's 13 out of 20.

Now, I'll likely have to start carrying Court of Oryx runes again. So that's another 3 slots. And of course, Stolen and Antiquated take up 2 slots basically. So that puts me at 18 out of 20.

Now I'm expected to carry 4 more items on top of it...

Bleh...

It would help a lot if planetary materials stacked like others as opposed to the 200 limit.

Runes stink because only charged tier 2 and tier 3 stack

I'm out on the chroma shit, I like the way my characters look so am only interested in getting them all up to around 325 for all 3 warlock builds and may bring my NS up

It's the same way with Riot/League of Legends. Even worse is that the mods over there are practically 'paid off' by riot by having a direct landline to riot, and they have to sign an NDA.

But the culture is the same. You get a defense force, yes-men, it's sad.

Remember the time that Bungie literally hired a Reddit mod to become a Community Manager? I'm sure that had no effect on the subreddit at all....

Top Bottom