• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Namikaze1

Ape, you good for 6pm eastern? I kinda wanna get the run done before 8. Only looking to do just one.

Edit: got nothing for this top of page post. NOTHING.

After giving it time to sink in more, I'm not upset about the April update. I ain't a fool to buy the boxes for armor, though. As long as there really won't be advantages to buying it outright, I'm fine.

100% infusion is finally here along with bigger vaults. I'm happy about that at least.

I don't like the MT, but I've decided that I'm just going to ignore sterling treasure and just try to have fun with what new content we get. I'm honestly going to get my 3 boxes a week, open them and put whatever I get right in my vault. I don't want to ride the roller coaster of chasing gear through an RNG slot machine. I was really mad about the whole thing, but I'm just going to do my best to ignore it and have fun.

Axoman

Of course! Always down to play w some XBox folks. Not sure what my schedule is gonna be but I'll be around. I'll try again to help some first timers if they're around but otherwise I'll just be chilling. Maybe do some runs with Eric on XBox since I missed him last weekend.

Great! Maybe Xplicit would be up for another run or the phantom known as DMH.

With vault space, last time they said the squeezed every inch out with TTK for vault space. Now we are getting a larger vault (thank goodness). Does that mean Bungie might be holding back on vault space? I don't understand why they would, though.

I have a feeling they are. They talked about how big of a deal it was last time, now it's just like "here is another tab". Seems like they could add even more tabs if they wanted to. They might hold back for each update, so it's another QoL that makes people happy. Wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing more tabs added with future updates.

With vault space, last time they said the squeezed every inch out with TTK for vault space. Now we are getting a larger vault (thank goodness). Does that mean Bungie might be holding back on vault space? I don't understand why they would, though.

I don't think they are. It probably costs som good resources to increase but yea, hard to tell.

I don't like the MT, but I've decided that I'm just going to ignore sterling treasure and just try to have fun with what new content we get. I'm honestly going to get my 3 boxes a week, open them and put whatever I get right in my vault. I don't want to ride the roller coaster of chasing gear through an RNG slot machine. I was really mad about the whole thing, but I'm just going to do my best to ignore it and have fun.

Yea pretty much. I wanted to support them so I bought silver when it was first released. I wasn't satisfied with masks, SRL or Crimson Doubles, nor their lack of TTK fixes (raid drops especially), so I'm holding back until I'm satisfied. I mean I supported them with $20 of silver so I at least did something. Not to mention a few hundred on apparel and actually buying the game 4x.

I just want interaction and more communication from them but I'm glad we're getting something, at least.

Great! Maybe Xplicit would be up for another run or the phantom known as DMH.

I have a feeling they are. They talked about how big of a deal it was last time, now it's just like "here is another tab". Seems like they could add even more tabs if they wanted to. They might hold back for each update, so it's another QoL that makes people happy. Wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing more tabs added with future updates.

I'm always down, Axo! We can redeem ourselves from last week's run for sure.

ich00

Of course! Always down to play w some XBox folks. Not sure what my schedule is gonna be but I'll be around. I'll try again to help some first timers if they're around but otherwise I'll just be chilling. Maybe do some runs with Eric on XBox since I missed him last weekend.

Speaking Xbox: hey driz Wiped and I were doing the RaF quest on xbone be fore his died. Would you be up for finishing it with me at some point during the week? I wouldn't want to get in the way of Trials runs and what not.

Is it weird that the most exciting thing about this update so far is having a new emblem to chase? It's about the only thing in this update that qualifies as something genuine to earn.

Type "!Patreon" for my weekend schedule breh

Where's the kappa, Ape? Where's the kappa!?!

Ape, you good for 6pm eastern? I kinda wanna get the run done before 8. Only looking to do just one.

Dear Nami, you are a truely decent and kind Nami.

I'm sorry I said all those things behind your back. (j/k I didn't say anything).

raw

Now nobody else take my slot! Looking at you, X!

Not sure how I feel about rotating maps. I was seriously considering shotgunning this weekend, but you have to really know the sniper lanes to do that, and that comes with having a bunch of rounds on a map. Maybe next week I'll debut my Defender Chaperone.

Is it weird that the most exciting thing about this update so far is having a new emblem to chase? It's about the only thing in this update that qualifies as something genuine to earn.

Where's the kappa, Ape? Where's the kappa!?!

Dear Nami. I'm sorry I spoke ill of you before.

raw

Not sure how I feel about rotating maps. I was seriously considering shotgunning this weekend, but you have to really know the sniper lanes to do that, and that comes with having a bunch of rounds on a map. Maybe next week I'll debut my Defender Chaperone.

Muahahahaha. What is your schedule tonight? I'm available most of the day. I want all of us to run together in every combination possible! haha I'm up for anything.

And hmph on your most exciting thing, since you stole my Scarab! I wish I didn't take a 30 minute break to eat dinner hahaha. RNGesus wouldn't have given it to me anyways.

Destiny is so dead I can't find anyone on Daily Clash or Skirmish (to complete final shaxx bounty) AT ALL! 10 minutes and nothing.

Well, now IB won't even work, just has "Evaluating" and "Searching", back and forth in an infinite loop, 1/12.

Probably my end then. This happened a few times on XBOX for me before, IDK why. Never had this problem on ps4.

Namikaze1

Dear Nami, you are a truely decent and kind Nami.

I'm sorry I said all those things behind your back. (j/k I didn't say anything).

raw

Wait. What things? What have you been saying?!
:p

I just wanna get it done before the Divison's daily reset. Gonna be hunting rogues and going on manhunts with several gaffers.

OK - I restarted my xbox and that seemed to fix the problem.

Not sure if restarting Destiny alone would have fixed that so it was one or the other.

Daemul

Man I always feel bad for seeing fellow Xbone guys asking for help to get to the Lighthouse but then not responding because I'm too much of a salty prick to help them out.

I've only ever done 4 proper runs to the lighthouse, three times in Y1 and a single time in Y2, because honestly I'm not the biggest fan of ToO due to some of Bungie's design choices with it. It's not as competitively focused as I dreamed it would be, and by competitive I don't mean matchmaking wise, ToO's MM in Y1 was completely fine, I'm talking about stuff like heavy ammo still being a thing, the dominance of special weapons and the radar still being active, shit that get's me mad at times, but I really should try and get over it and help out my fellow Xboner's.

I haven't played Destiny PvP in months though so I'll be rusty as fuck and probably more of a hindrance than help. Deej is probably better at PvP than I am now
KuGsj.gif

Wait. What things? What have you been saying?!
:p

I just wanna get it done before the Divison's daily reset. Gonna be hunting rogues and going on manhunts with several gaffers.

He said you probably won't get to Mercury because there's no cover to shoot behind in Destiny!

No wait. I said that!

I will probably have an Ape fail and screw up tonight's run lol

Namikaze1

He said you probably won't get to Mercury because there's no cover to shoot behind in Destiny!

No wait. I said that!

I will probably have an Ape fail and screw up tonight's run lol
Cover? Who needs cover! LEEERRROOOOOOYYYYYY JEEEEENNNNN- *Guardian down*

Pft. More like I will screw up the run with my rustiness.

I e-mailed the DestinyTrialsReport team my Passage Report Card and they said they're going to give implementing it a go.

Muahahahaha. What is your schedule tonight? I'm available most of the day. I want all of us to run together in every combination possible! haha I'm up for anything.

I have a window from 8 - 10pm on weekend night, hopefully tonight. I feel bad about leaving my wife to watch the baby too long, when she watches him and the toddler all day.

And hmph on your most exciting thing, since you stole my Scarab! I wish I didn't take a 30 minute break to eat dinner hahaha. RNGesus wouldn't have given it to me anyways.

I don't feel bad about my Scarab. Given how I only have 2 hours of playtime per weekend, it was a rare instance of RNKindness that I got one in my limited available playtime.

Despite 6x Flawless this Spring. I'm still too nervous to try Shotgunning. Maybe if I had 5 flawlesses in one weekend across 2 platforms....

I e-mailed the DestinyTrialsReport team my Passage Report Card and they said they're going to give implementing it a go.

I have a window from 8 - 10pm on weekend night, hopefully tonight. I feel bad about leaving my wife to watch the baby too long, when she watches him and the toddler all day.

I don't feel bad about my Scarab. Given how I only have 2 hours of playtime per weekend, it was a rare instance of RNKindness that I got one in my limited available playtime.

Despite 6x Flawless this Spring. I'm still too nervous to try Shotgunning. Maybe if I had 5 flawlesses in one weekend across 2 platforms....

Pretty awesome stats there. I'm sure there will be at least of us on during your windows

I'll be around for some runs later today. Pretty cool that its rotating maps. I didnt play trials back when this first happened so i may need some adjustment.

Thats cool john! Hope they give you credit if they do that implementation and improve on it.

Edit: damn krafty at almost 4k viewers. Its been awhile since he hit that. He was always at ~2k the last few months.

Edit2: oh its because goth is offline but playing with him

I miss getting Passage Coins from PvP Daily. They should also come from Mercury again like early Year 1.

I have 16 left, yuck.

If you have everything you want from Mercury just play a bunch without boons. The coins will come.

or you know...carry as many people to 7 wins for a Doctrine as you can lol So many coins

Where's Drizz to get things back on track with the Mr. Rogers skills?

I've read all the reactions to this week's stream, but I didn't have a strong response. Like everyone else, I'm bummed that Year 2 has gone this way. But I'm also the wrong person to ask about Chromas or character appearances. Frankly I think Chroma looks dumb and I wouldn't bother micro-managing my gear's colored lighting even without usage restrictions. Plus I've always been performance over appearance for armor sets.

The bigger concern is their continued "withholding" philosophy. Adding 4 limited-availability consumables instead of one universal feature, putting new gear into a Sterling Slot Machine that allows duplicates, hell, they didn't even prevent Chroma from re-rolling the same damn color! Even the reception to good news, like 1:1 infusion and rep gain increases, was hampered by their association with new MTs. Obviously they knew Year 2 would be thin, but I wish they'd courted more community favor by keeping MTs better contained.

That said, it's important to not throw the baby out with the bath water. The update's free stuff is still free. Fixing infusion is a huge improvement and another example of how community criticism has improved the game. The HUD-less UI is a fantastic addition for people like me that love taking pictures and appreciating the stellar art design. Even the problem of being able to buy your favorite armor perks is mitigated by how unimportant Destiny's RPG aspects are (of course that's another problem entirely...). Personally I won't get out my pitchforks until they lock unique, powerful gear behind a paywall. Afaik the stuff you can get from Sterling has all the lame perks we've come to know and blandly tolerate during Year 2.

The best Mr Rogers silver lining I can add is that 700 people work at Bungie, and only a small handful have been spending time on these meager events. Despite plenty of legit criticisms, the studio is absolutely loaded with talent. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the less we get now makes me more excited for Destiny 2. I think they learned a lot from the Year 1 burnout and decided to take a long term approach to the problem, with our current drought being the necessary sacrifice. If Destiny 2 disappoints then I'll eat my words. But if it blows us away then we'll have some idea why.

Good post Drizz.

Part of me thinks/hopes that part of the reason so many resources have been diverted to Destiny 2 is because they realized they need to completely overhaul their creation tools so they can better support their game in the future. If that's the case I'll feel a lot better about the way things are going now if it means Destiny 2 is supported better.

One side note on Chroma I haven't seen mentioned here yet: The FAQ they listed on b.net made it sound like only gear acquired from Sterling packages would dismantle into Chroma. My previous impression was you could get Chroma from gear in faction rank ups, but here's the quote:

Where do I get Chroma?
A: Sterling Treasure Mystery Bags may reward players with a randomly colored unit of Chroma. Players may also acquire Chroma by dismantling Armor pieces from the following Armor sets:
“SPEKTAR” gear acquired through a Sterling Treasure Mystery Bag will grant a single randomly colored Chroma Consumable.
"DESOLATE" gear acquired through a Sterling Treasure Mystery Bag will grant a single White Chroma Consumable.​

Those are the only places listed, which makes it sound like Sterling bags are required. Also the Taken gear only gives White color. I don't care about Chroma so w/e, but thought I would mention it.

Speaking Xbox: hey driz Wiped and I were doing the RaF quest on xbone be fore his died. Would you be up for finishing it with me at some point during the week? I wouldn't want to get in the way of Trials runs and what not.

Sure, I'm up for finishing it whenever we can find time. I did it once on Grave's account so I know it's not terribly involved, probably won't take too long to wrap up.

I'm up for some trials this weekend (Only 4 bosses left in Dark Souls 3...)

Yooo, if we run any Trials we need a strict no spoiler rule in party chat! :p

One side note on Chroma I haven't seen mentioned here yet: The FAQ they listed on b.net made it sound like only gear acquired from Sterling packages would dismantle into Chroma. My previous impression was you could get Chroma from gear in faction rank ups, but here's the quote:

Those are the only places listed, which makes it sound like Sterling bags are required. Also the Taken gear only gives White color. I don't care about Chroma so w/e, but thought I would mention it.

That was the impression I got from the part of the stream I watched as well. As usual its all vague nonsense where no one really knows what they're talking about, then the bombs are dropped in the weekly update

Edit put me firmly in the no Chroma club as well, getting to around 325 is my goal then I'm done with PvE

Damn drizzay, I wanted you to be enveloped by the rage.

On Chroma, I think its cool. It offers a degree of customization to weapons that is currently missing. But fuck that its only available through MTs.

Damn drizzay, I wanted you to be enveloped by the rage.

On Chroma, I think its cool. It offers a degree of customization to weapons that is currently missing. But fuck that its only available through MTs.

You can earn the sterling boxes through normal play. It's not only available through microtransactions, but it's only available through a thing that can be earned in game or bought with microtransactions.

Okay, what should I use as my primary if I'm going to be shotgunning with Chappy?

• PDX-45 with Perfect Balance, Hidden Hand, Rifled Barrel
  • PDX-45 with Hammer Forged, Counterbalance, Rifled Barrel
  • Vendor Nirwin's
  • Reflection Sum w/ Hidden Hand
  • DIS-47 Full Auto, Max Stability
  • DIS-43 Full Auto, Hammer Forged, Hand-Laid Stock
  • TRUCKER LAW

green bars taking no damage on melees and shit.

this game is bs when it doesn't work.

But let's work on new armor appearances, chromas and more emotes. Sounds greeaat. I have nothing but high expectations now for this wednesday.

You can earn the sterling boxes through normal play. It's not only available through microtransactions, but it's only available through a thing that can be earned in game or bought with microtransactions.

I know. But they shouldnt be praised for mobile game tactics like that, just like nobody praises Clash Of Clans for giving you a free 30 gems every week.

FyreWulff

As far as I can tell:

Spektar and Desolate only come from ST. These drop Chroma when dismantled. Only Spektar (of the two) accepts Chroma. I believe they drop Chroma even if Chroma is not applied to the Spektar gear. (In fact, maybe neither of them drop Legendary Marks, but Chroma instead?)

The Faction rank up packages drop new Chroma-compatible gear, but do not become Chroma when dismantled.

edit: yeah, that seems to make sense, because otherwise it'd basically be MTs to buy Legendary Marks otherwise if Spektar/Desolate gave you Marks.

LTWood12

Okay, what should I use as my primary if I'm going to be shotgunning with Chappy?

• PDX-45 with Perfect Balance, Hidden Hand, Rifled Barrel
  • PDX-45 with Hammer Forged, Counterbalance, Rifled Barrel
  • Vendor Nirwin's
  • Reflection Sum w/ Hidden Hand
  • DIS-47 Full Auto, Max Stability
  • DIS-43 Full Auto, Hammer Forged, Hand-Laid Stock
  • TRUCKER LAW

Take it from the guy with a 998 Trials ELO, but you'll want to change it up based on the map.

Either of those PDXs would be great. I don't have a counterbalance one but the top roll is the weapon I tend to do best with. I'd probably go back and forth between it and Doctrine. I picked up the full auto PDX this week and have been having a lot of fun w/ it in IB.

Melees of all sorts seem to have become all kinds of screwed up at some point after TTK launch. :(

I wonder if it was the stupid Damage Referee patch that made it worse. Sure seems like it. I don't remember it being this bad. Literally on 2 occasions so far, I melee's a person at 1-shot/absolute and he took 0 damage. I then smashed a self rezing warlock and we mutualed because he melee'd me mid smash... dumbest thing I've seen!

Wow, I didn't play the halos online so I never knew about that. Also skimming that I see Bungie writers love the word inscrutable. It didn't feel so bad early on in Destiny aside from balance issues. It just doesn't feel like it hits half the time now.

I wonder if it was the stupid Damage Referee patch that made it worse. Sure seems like it. I don't remember it being this bad. Literally on 2 occasions so far, I melee's a person at 1-shot/absolute and he took 0 damage. I then smashed a self rezing warlock and we mutualed because he melee'd me mid smash... dumbest thing I've seen!

That may be it. Hopefully they realize something is wrong.

Wow, I didn't play the halos online so I never knew about that. Also skimming that I see Bungie writers love the word inscrutable

It's literally the same guy, lukems or Luke Smith!

I linked to that update not to be snarky about nearly a decade & still no fix, but rather because it goes into a lot of detail about the problem and why it's not very simple.

Okay, maybe I linked it to be snarky about how bad DeeJ's updates are versus old Bungie.

Top Bottom